POWDER 064 YAAP

I am Walker the steve the stalker

My intrinsics were:
cold/poison resistance
position fixed (poo)
regenerate
warning
jump
shield, boot, all size weapon, ranged, edged, blunt, and pointed skill

klaskov: 2078 (54)
belweir: -202(84)
quizar: -26(26)
tlosh:1022(55)
h'ruth:1033(117)
pax:-217(72)
><0|V|:957(144)

AC 29
HP 164/33
MP 10/00

18844 moves
killed 784

I have beenn playing this game a lot lately. I prolly would have beaten it
much earlier but my F2A cart is sckrewed and there is a 1/5 chance the game
will freaze when I use a ladder or if I save. I was a follower of Hruth,
praying to him every time except for my last two levels when I realized that
no matter how hard I tried to please him, Klaskov always liked me more. So I
prayed to Klaskov and got some new skills.
The wand of polymorph saved me on at least four occasions where I was
turning to stone (DAMN U COCKATRICe!!!) and one time when I was being
strangled by a water elemental. So I spent almost as much time as a hill orc
or a iron gollem as I did as myself.

SPOILER!!!
I killed super easy devil guy who din't even hit me once over top of the
lava(D'OH) and so his heart kinda got nuked in waves of flames. Me being a
smart guy used an ice wand to turn the lava into turf, but to my dismay this
merely buried his heart. ARGHH! I couldn't see the heart or pikk it up but I
could ZAP it. So I tried teleporting, polymorphing,and quikkening it. Din't
do jack. I then got really mad and threw my gameboy and said very bad
things. After regaining my senses I attempted ZAP a TRAP which created a
pit, revealing the HART, which immediately filled with surrounding lava. So
I was like FU $%^&#*! I then had a brainstorm and eqwipped my iron shoes and
hopped in. After reaching the bottom I had no trouble retrieving the hart.
yay. that's 10 minutes I'll never get back.
Is the game supposed to go totally screwey in the surface world? I not sure
if it was my cart that made rings and garbleys everywhere.

Thanx Jeff. I have never had so much fun on my gba. This is my favourite
game. I am going to go buy a new flash cart just so I can play it more
without it freazing. I like it more than the PC roguelikes because it is
very fastpaced and there is always something to kill. I also enjoy the
control scheme aka not having to push a seperate button to open a door. Why
don't PC do DAT!?

andrew walker wrote:
> I am Walker the steve the stalker

Congratulations!

Is it okay if I put your ascension post on the POWDER website?

> I have beenn playing this game a lot lately. I prolly would have
beaten it
> much earlier but my F2A cart is sckrewed and there is a 1/5 chance
the game
> will freaze when I use a ladder or if I save. I was a follower of
Hruth,
> praying to him every time except for my last two levels when I
realized that
> no matter how hard I tried to please him, Klaskov always liked me
more. So I
> prayed to Klaskov and got some new skills.
> The wand of polymorph saved me on at least four occasions where I was

> turning to stone (DAMN U COCKATRICe!!!) and one time when I was being

> strangled by a water elemental. So I spent almost as much time as a
hill orc
> or a iron gollem as I did as myself.

Iron golems have the added advantage that they can't be strangled. Or
stoned, for that matter.

> SPOILER!!!
> I killed super easy devil guy who din't even hit me once over top of
the

He whose name can't be spelled correctly doesn't like that description
:>

> lava(D'OH) and so his heart kinda got nuked in waves of flames. Me
being a
> smart guy used an ice wand to turn the lava into turf, but to my
dismay this
> merely buried his heart. ARGHH! I couldn't see the heart or pikk it
up but I
> could ZAP it. So I tried teleporting, polymorphing,and quikkening it.
Din't

Well, it would be rather tragic if you successfully polymorphed it, so
I'd be happy for that! Teleport fails for the same reason you ascended
with Position Fixed.

> do jack. I then got really mad and threw my gameboy and said very bad

> things. After regaining my senses I attempted ZAP a TRAP which
created a
> pit, revealing the HART, which immediately filled with surrounding
lava. So
> I was like FU $%^&#*! I then had a brainstorm and eqwipped my iron
shoes and
> hopped in. After reaching the bottom I had no trouble retrieving the
hart.
> yay. that's 10 minutes I'll never get back.

The final level is meant to force people to think of strange solutions
to problems :>

I think, from your description, that there is a way to lose the heart
on that level, however. If a trap other than a pit is created, you may
be out of luck.... Well, not quite. You could always learn the Acid
Pool spell, but that is a rather more obscure solution :>

> Is the game supposed to go totally screwey in the surface world? I
not sure
> if it was my cart that made rings and garbleys everywhere.

It is not supposed to go totally screwy. I haven't ascended yet in
064, so can't say for certain its your cartridge.

What do you mean by garbleys?

> Thanx Jeff. I have never had so much fun on my gba. This is my
favourite
> game. I am going to go buy a new flash cart just so I can play it
more
> without it freazing. I like it more than the PC roguelikes because it
is
> very fastpaced and there is always something to kill. I also enjoy
the
> control scheme aka not having to push a seperate button to open a
door. Why
> don't PC do DAT!?

Thank you very much. I also like fast play and always having something
to kill, so you can be sure I'll try and keep those features.

I agree wholeheartedly about seperate buttons to open doors. The only
answer I've got to my complaints is that it would be "too dangerous" to
auto open doors.
--
Jeff Lait

Jeff Lait wrote:
> andrew walker wrote:
> > I am Walker the steve the stalker
>
> Congratulations!

Yes, good job!

<Snip>

> > Is the game supposed to go totally screwey in the surface world? I
> not sure
> > if it was my cart that made rings and garbleys everywhere.
>
> It is not supposed to go totally screwy. I haven't ascended yet in
> 064, so can't say for certain its your cartridge.

I didn't see any garbleys or really anything especially weird on the
surface. I was playing on windows, not a GBA. If that information
helps.

Feel free to put it on the site so that I may gain the ultimate fame and
fortune. The ladies cannot possibly resist me now. I'll probably have to
institute a numbering system to keep it from getting out of hand.

By garbleys I meant things that look like glass wands which then turned into
vents/walls after I attaempted jumping. Sorry about the confusion. I think
it said "U know nothing of this place" and then it froze.
A greeting party would have been nice cuz then I could kill them all.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that my character had a really
intense case of delerium on level 25 and 26. First all of the unexplored
black area turned into giant question marks. So I was like "cool". Then the
unexpected happened. I killed a giant turtle dude which somehow caused the
screen to be covered with semi-transparent lizardmen. So I was like "oh
sheiser, i'm a dead man. Luckily, it was only an illusion cuz I walked right
thru them.
It was rather difficult to discern waht was happening for awhile cuz the on
screen text started making absolutely no sense at all and the game tiles
were all over the spectrum. "Hmmmm, those stone gollems look kinda like
walls." Alas I prevailed and the effect kinda faded off into level 27 never
to return. Whether this effect was intended or not, I don't know. It was
pretty cool though. Kinda like I got zapped with a wand of crazy. I've
always wanted wanted one of my caracters to go delerious. hint hint

andrew walker wrote:
> Feel free to put it on the site so that I may gain the ultimate fame
and
> fortune. The ladies cannot possibly resist me now. I'll probably have
> institute a numbering system to keep it from getting out of hand.

Thank you. You may look forward to your fame and fortune being
delivered in 2-3 weeks.

(As a minor side note, if you could please post after the quote rather
than before it, it would be appreciated)

> By garbleys I meant things that look like glass wands which then
turned into
> vents/walls after I attaempted jumping. Sorry about the confusion. I
think
> it said "U know nothing of this place" and then it froze.

It sounds like the tiles got screwed up on the surface world, much like
they did on levels 25 for you. I hope it is just your cartridge...

> A greeting party would have been nice cuz then I could kill them all.

*grins* I'm glad to know that would be your first reaction. I'll
certainly keep that in mind whenever I add a greeting party.

> I forgot to mention in my previous post that my character had a
really
> intense case of delerium on level 25 and 26. First all of the
unexplored
> black area turned into giant question marks. So I was like "cool".
Then the
> unexpected happened. I killed a giant turtle dude which somehow
caused the
> screen to be covered with semi-transparent lizardmen. So I was like
"oh
> sheiser, i'm a dead man. Luckily, it was only an illusion cuz I
walked right
> thru them.

The gameboy advance only has enough video memory for a certain number
of tiles. A while ago, POWDER exceeded this number. I thus reuse
video ram slots by reloading on demand. Somehow it seems the slow
assigned to "ground" got the lizard man graphic loaded into it.

I haven't touched that code in a long time, so I'll tentatively blame
the hardware for now. (Note that the windows and linux ports use the
same tile cachine mechanism, despite the fact they obviously have no
video ram issues. It does mean that I don't have to worry about a
caching bug being GBA only.)

Did you see any "No Tile" graphics before things went wonky? A bright
purple border with No Tile written in the center?

Normally I'd say save & reload, but that was causing crashes for you,
so not a real option :<

> It was rather difficult to discern waht was happening for awhile cuz
the on
> screen text started making absolutely no sense at all and the game
tiles
> were all over the spectrum. "Hmmmm, those stone gollems look kinda
like
> walls." Alas I prevailed and the effect kinda faded off into level 27
never
> to return. Whether this effect was intended or not, I don't know. It
was
> pretty cool though. Kinda like I got zapped with a wand of crazy.
I've
> always wanted wanted one of my caracters to go delerious. hint hint

Unfortunately, I have always hated Nethack's hallucination with a
passion. I'm not likely to intentionally do such a thing. Maybe as a
*really* limitted effect.
--
Jeff Lait

andrew walker wrote:
> The tiles were more screwed up than U think. The lizardmen appeared
at what
> seemed completely random locations. It was definitely not the floor.
The
> lizardmen looked like when detected thru a wall and they have an H in
the
> corner of the tile. They were green and transparent where the black
usually
> is. I could see the floor underneath them. A similar thing happened
several
> times but with different creatures from headless to dragons.

Trippy!

Lizardmen were somehow infiltrating one of the overlay planes.
Lizardmen are always transparent, it's just usually they are drawn on
the same plane as the floor rather than on top of it.

I'm not even sure what plane they could be on to have that effect.
Maybe the minimap plane? Weird.

> I simply
> ignored them because they looked different then the real ones. Wall
and
> floor tiles kind've transmogrified to something different every few
turns.
> The text was totally bonkers though.

Text uses the same tile pool as the icons. Worse yet, it tends to go
in and out of the cache the fastest. (It's the firstplace I usually
see No Tile fragments)

> I don't remember seeing any "no tile", but I wasn't really looking. I
was
> focusing more on trying to figure out what might be a ladder.
> Not a fan of the hallucinogen? That's alright. I'll just poke my eyes
until
> I see stars.
> A greeting party. That's gold baby....gold in them mines.

It's on the list :>
--
Jeff Lait

Did you try ascii? It could be a bug with the tiles. I don't know a lot
about POWDER, but if it were an Angband variant that's what I'd suspect.

Alternatively, are you sure it wasn't an effect kind of like Angband's
Mushrooms of Hallucination can cause? (Avoidable with chaos resistance
in Angband.)

The tiles were more screwed up than U think. The lizardmen appeared at what
seemed completely random locations. It was definitely not the floor. The
lizardmen looked like when detected thru a wall and they have an H in the
corner of the tile. They were green and transparent where the black usually
is. I could see the floor underneath them. A similar thing happened several
times but with different creatures from headless to dragons. I simply

> [...]
> so not a real option :<
>
>> It was rather difficult to discern waht was happening for awhile cuz
> the on
>> screen text started making absolutely no sense at all and the game
> tiles
>> were all over the spectrum. "Hmmmm, those stone gollems look kinda
> like
>> walls." Alas I prevailed and the effect kinda faded off into level 27
> never
>> to return. Whether this effect was intended or not, I don't know. It
> was
>> pretty cool though. Kinda like I got zapped with a wand of crazy.
> I've
>> always wanted wanted one of my caracters to go delerious. hint hint
>
> Unfortunately, I have always hated Nethack's hallucination with a
> passion. I'm not likely to intentionally do such a thing. Maybe as a

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts