And i just built my system last month

will this raise CPU temp at all?? By having a dusty fan
anyone else who has a dusty fan??

More about : cpu fan veyr dustsy month

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2001 2:00:46 AM

Not sure about the effect on CPU temp.

However, it will get dusty. How much depends on where you live and how often you vacuum your house etc.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2001 2:09:22 AM

Maybe you should get some foam fan grilles for your input fans to catch a lot of the dust before it enters your computer. I do know that I used a vacuum to suck the dust out of my retail PIII HSF's, and the temp decreased by 5 degrees C.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2001 2:17:16 AM

Dust can make your fan less efficient, and increase the temp (It's really bad if you manage to wrap hairs, fabric and things around your fan). Dust causes friction if it gets in the ball berrings, which will slow your fan or cause fan failure, ending the life of your T-bird. But it isn't that likely. If you are worried about it you can find places that sell filters for computer cases. But really all you need is a good dusting and vacuum every so often.

At bus stations, busses stop. At train stations, trains stop. My desk has a work station. GO FIGURE!
March 13, 2001 2:21:24 AM

Dust is bad all around. big time around the hard disk because dust has its own magnetic field you can have data loss and bad sectors develope from it just keep your machine as clean as you have your car or truck and shell be fine.

SPUD

Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man:) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2001 2:37:33 AM

True good point the processor isn't the only thing affected, especially if you have hard drive cooling dust will build up there.

At bus stations, busses stop. At train stations, trains stop. My desk has a work station. GO FIGURE!
March 13, 2001 2:23:30 PM

The best way I have found to get all the dust out is this, take your case out to the garage and blow it out with compressed air. The vacuum just wasn’t getting all the dust. Just try to be careful and keep the air nozzle a few feet away so you won’t damage anything.

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>
March 13, 2001 7:03:45 PM

no it won't raise temperature but you might want to blow it out w/compressed air every couple months to prolong the life of your fan.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2001 2:15:28 AM

I think it will raise the temp if you have a heat sink which tends to get "clogged" with dust.
March 14, 2001 2:21:53 AM

Did it comes with dust included?

It can't be good for it then.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2001 2:42:08 AM

I wonder where you keeping the PC... hehe

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink:
March 14, 2001 4:43:25 PM

With all the money you saved, you should be able to buy a new HSF every month.

Its all part of that price/performance thingie.

Since AMD doesnt have any thermal isuues, I weouldnt worry about it. just ignore it and hopefully it goes away.
March 14, 2001 4:56:43 PM

Ah, Intel CPU's repel dirt? And they don't produce any heat? And their fans never go bad? Spiffy! Why the hell did I save all this money on such an inferior AMD CPU??

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/
March 14, 2001 5:43:23 PM

I know dust can be evil nasty stuff inside of a computer.

My old P133 one day started detecting it's memory as 96MB instead of 128MB. (It had four 32MB EDO SIMMS.) I thought this was an odd thing. Then later it got worse and started detecting only 64MB of memory.

I knew that either something must be wrong, or else there was a memory gremlin sneaking into my system and eating my SIMMS. When the glue traps didn't catch anything, I knew something must be wrong.

I opened my case and it really didn't look all that dusty. I mean I do have my case well ventilated and use the foam filters on it.

But sure enough, after blowing compressed air all around and having an hour long coughing fit (I hadn't taken the time to ensure proper ventilation in the room when I started the cleaning process), my memory went back up to 128MB.

So the moral of the story is, "Dust is bad, unless it's hiding something worse."

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.
March 14, 2001 7:18:37 PM

AMD lemming manual page 1 says that HSF never fail, and page 2 goes into that thermal issues are non existant and not to worry about it.

So who cares if your AMD CPU overheats. it will be ok.
Your motherboard will beep letting you know you have crossed the threshold, safely shutting your machine down.(hahahahah yeah right!)

Nap time over? wake up princess your dreaming.
March 14, 2001 7:28:16 PM

Fugger,

I was just given a Pentium 200. It was from our data collection department, and was built by those guys. The Pentium had a heat sink, with a brushless fan "hacked" onto it.

The reason they gave it to me was because it no longer worked. The fan (not ball bearing) had failed, and it seems that the system locks up after a short while (3 - 5 minutes).

No sweat! Just replace the fan with a good ball bearing HSF unit. Guess what? It still doesn't work. It will sometimes boot, then freeze. Mostly, it does not even post. When it does post, and I can get into the BIOS, it freezes in about 3 minutes.

Looks like when the fan failed, the processor did as well.

Now, this was not built right to begin with. The HSF that was assembled was an abomination. But for all of the thermal protection, the CPU is fried just the same. To be fair, we have no idea how long the system ran without the benefit of the fan. It may have been days, it may have been seconds. No way to tell.

If your fan fails, it seems that thermal protection may not be enough. Of course, you may say that this is an exception to the rule. It might be, but, that Intel chip is still dead.

The motherboard works fine with a Cyrix 686 MX in place of the Pentium.
March 14, 2001 7:34:19 PM

Did Intel always have thermal protection? I can't remember... I seem to remember long ago hearing very early Celeron overclocking stories about burning up the chips. That would indicate that the thermal protection didn't come into the chips until later. But I could be just smoking some bad fish.

But since you're a good Intel fan, I thought maybe you'd know when Intel started putting the thermal protection in. Was it from the beginning? Or did it start with the P2 or even the P3?

March 14, 2001 7:40:35 PM

So how well does a 'faster' chip like that perform in the antiquated motherboard bus? I've been thinking of stripping out my P133 and putting in a socket converter and a faster chip. But is the performance actually worth the cost when I already have a Celeron 500?

I mean if the system won't perform near the Celeron's level even with a wiz chip in it, then maybe I'll just leave it as a P133. It still works for Quake1 quite well. I just wanted to be able to set up a Quake3 game between the Celeron and the ex-P133.

March 14, 2001 9:48:34 PM

It's not worth it. For games, I'll bet the Pentium 133 outperforms the Cyrix P200.

The FPU of the Cyrix is so poor you can forget about running Quake, especially at P200 (150mhz).

If you are not playing games, the Cyrix will run Windows and business applications faster then the Pentium, but anything that requires floating point will crawl. Part of the advantage is because the Cyrix is using a 75mhz bus speed, vs the 66mhz speed of the Pentium.

My daughter has a Pentium 200, and it cannot run Quake3 at a playable speed. It can handle Half-Life (Quake2 engine), but has a hard time with Unreal at 512 x 384 with a 3dfx Banshee 16meg. Maybe with a better video card, but it can only use PCI, so the options are limited.

The only reason I popped the Cyrix chip in there was too see if the motherboard or the processor was dead. I don't have a spare Pentium sitting around (don't want to disassemble my daughters computer). The Cyrix chip I do have was replaced by the Pentium 200 a couple of years ago.

Now that I know which component is bad, I can sell the remaining parts at the next Computer Flea Market.

I believe the thermal protection started with the Pentium line, being the first Intel processor to require a fan. No facts to back this up, just my memory, which, as I get older, seems to fail more and more.
March 14, 2001 10:37:42 PM

I remember playing quake on my cyrix 166mx.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
March 15, 2001 2:07:05 AM

So did I. But I had to play at 320 x 240 or it would have been choppy as all hell.
March 15, 2001 7:04:56 AM

No way! My voodoo2 served me well. (GLQuake)

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
March 15, 2001 7:14:49 AM

GLQuake is just a patch for Quake.

http://www.quake3stuff.com/glquake/
http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=105&file=98...

Linux glquake link:
http://www-hmw.caribel.pisa.it/fxmesa/fxquake.html

There are loadsa sites, but as far as I can remember, There were different patches for different cards (GLIDE, PowerVR, ATI RAGE etc.) Perhaps you can find one that is full openGL compliant.

March 15, 2001 7:22:28 AM

Both!

Did you know the original quake engine supported shadows and lighting (to an extent). can't remember the commands to use them though. but they slow the game down, at least on a 166mx.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2001 8:31:57 AM

I have reversed the direction of my fans to suck air away from the CPU and that keeps the dust off!!! I am lucky to have 2 fans in my PSU as it sucks air from my PC with one fan and blows air out the PC (and PSU) with another fan.
I check my PC every 3 months to make sure all is running fine... Most of Us keep them open (except when we go LAN Gaming)...
March 15, 2001 2:35:41 PM

The Voodoo2 was faster then the Banshee, using two pass texturing to the Banshees single pass. Not that it matters, but I'll still bet you were choppy above 320 x 240.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2001 2:41:43 PM

The Banshee was a voodoo 2 but with the 1 texturing map..

But i used the banshee for 3 years and it ran any game out there, maybe in low res but it ran it good
that was the first video card that WOWED me...

i remember playing N64 on my pc and tomb raider in full speed
ahh memories
March 16, 2001 7:45:16 AM

No, I used to run at 640x480. It was quite smooth except when you have 4+ bad guyz in the room, with rocket fire and lightning bolts. It dropped to something like below 20fps.

March 16, 2001 7:46:09 AM

No, sorry that was on my K6-2 350. yes, it was choppy on the cyrix.

March 16, 2001 2:59:32 PM

"I have reversed the direction of my fans to suck air away from the CPU and that keeps the dust off"

How does that work? The dust is in the air, right? Does it make any difference if you pull the air across the heatsink or push it?
!