KVM for two computers and two peripheral sets?

eblip

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I have a desk that has two desktop computers as well as two full sets of peripherals (mouse, keyboards, monitors). Right now each computer has dedicated peripherals but I was curious what kind of KVM switch I would need to allow either peripheral set to be used for either computer without having to swap any plugs. It seems like most KVMs I'm seeing have connectors for one set of peripherals and multiple computers, but not equal inputs and outputs.

Is there a KVM that allows two peripheral sets for two computers or should I be looking for a different piece of equipment? Any help would be really appreciated.

eblip

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I built my girlfriend a computer that will run Sims 3 pretty well, but she'll only be using it every so often. I have a 4 or 5 year desktop that sits right next to the rig I just built her. I'm looking for a KVM style switch that would allow me to use the nice rig I just built with my monitor/keyboard/mouse, and then quickly be able to switch them back to my old rig when she wants to play her game using her own monitor/keyboard/mouse.

It is essentially two computers one good/one bad and two sets of monitor/keyboard/mouse. I'd like to be able to grab control of either system with either set of monitor/keyboard/mouse without swapping any cables around. Just curious if this kind of KVM exist or if there is different piece of equipment I should be looking for.

Sorry for not being detailed enough, but I hope that clarifies it.

Here is what you do, assuming your girlfriend's (GF) PC supports dual monitors, and uses a USB keyboard and mouse:

1. Connect both monitors to your GF's monitor and set it up to mirror the desktop to both monitors.
2. Connect a standard KVM to your keyboard/mouse/monitor to both PCs, BUT, connect one of GF monitor cables to the KVM.
3. Leave the GF mouse and keyboard attached.

Now, you can use your own keyboard/mouse/monitor with both PCs, and if your GF needs to use her PC then you switch to yours with the KVM and she still has her keyboard/mouse/monitor to use as normal.