Dell 2400 Quetions

3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
problem.
I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

"Hugh Comstock" <ramps@webtv.net> wrote in message
>3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
> I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
> ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
> sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
> technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
> I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
> Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
> its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
> I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
> hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
> after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
> it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
> after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
> YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
> ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
> problem.
> I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
> This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
> I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
> week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
> with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
> Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
> I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
> problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
> Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

Hugh,

The likely truth is that your actions are the problem. The chances of two
machines puking in such a similar way and that being a failure of the system
are pretty unlikely. And for what it's worth, I'm not trying to be rude to
you.

If I were you, I wouldn't be hanging up on anyone at this point. You need
to learn more about whatever you may be clicking on that's goofing your MSN
connection.

I suppose you've already attempted a 'system restore' back to a date before
you lost your dialup connection? (start/programs/accessories/system
tools/system restore).... ?

Stew

Stew
Thanks for your response...but I am very careful not to click onto
something i know nothing about....I went thru the exact procedure on
Friday as I had done on Thursday(without a problem). as follows.
(1) turn on computer.
(2) hit start.
(3) hit MSN EXPLORER.
(4) hit signing
(5) wait till a voice that says "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH".
(6) surf,read email,favorites,go to ebay,etc.
(7) when finished turn computer off.
I have never deviated from this procedure.
Yesterday even after my ISP would not sign me in....I was able to go to
Internet Explorer and get on line, today I can not
get on line PERIOD....
I am bedfast and can not get out to visit computer store or pay the $100
a hour the technicians charge to make a hose call so I guess I was
hoping for a simple solution.
Thanks anyway for your suggestions.
Take care,
Hugh

> Stew
> Thanks for your response...but I am very careful not to click onto
> something i know nothing about....I went thru the exact procedure on
> Friday as I had done on Thursday(without a problem). as follows.
> (1) turn on computer.
> (2) hit start.
> (3) hit MSN EXPLORER.
> (4) hit signing
> (5) wait till a voice that says "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH".
> (6) surf,read email,favorites,go to ebay,etc.
> (7) when finished turn computer off.
> I have never deviated from this procedure.
> Yesterday even after my ISP would not sign me in....I was able to go to
> Internet Explorer and get on line, today I can not
> get on line PERIOD....
> I am bedfast and can not get out to visit computer store or pay the $100
> a hour the technicians charge to make a hose call so I guess I was
> hoping for a simple solution.
> Thanks anyway for your suggestions.
> Take care,
> Hugh

Hugh,

Have you attempted to run the XP system restore as I asked earlier?

You won't lose any files or e-mails by attempting it as I outlined in the
earlier post.

Stew

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Unfortunately, you are probably going to have to have someone come over and
diagnose the problem. It sounds like a software problem (I doubt very much
if both units were defective.) As it is a software problem, Dell will not
come over, you probably will have to pay someone, if you cannot work it out.

"Hugh Comstock" <ramps@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Stew
> Thanks for your response...but I am very careful not to click onto
> something i know nothing about....I went thru the exact procedure on
> Friday as I had done on Thursday(without a problem). as follows.
> (1) turn on computer.
> (2) hit start.
> (3) hit MSN EXPLORER.
> (4) hit signing
> (5) wait till a voice that says "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH".
> (6) surf,read email,favorites,go to ebay,etc.
> (7) when finished turn computer off.
> I have never deviated from this procedure.
> Yesterday even after my ISP would not sign me in....I was able to go to
> Internet Explorer and get on line, today I can not
> get on line PERIOD....
> I am bedfast and can not get out to visit computer store or pay the $100
> a hour the technicians charge to make a hose call so I guess I was
> hoping for a simple solution.
> Thanks anyway for your suggestions.
> Take care,
> Hugh

Sure sounds like an ISP issue. Dell can't help you with that. If they were
inclined to try, they couldn't because you have only one phone line. They
can't troubleshoot your connection while you are on the line with them. Get
another phone line or, better yet, get broadband.

"Hugh Comstock" <ramps@webtv.net> wrote in message
> 3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
> I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
> ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
> sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
> technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
> I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
> Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
> its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
> I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
> hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
> after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
> it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
> after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
> YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
> ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
> problem.
> I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
> This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
> I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
> week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
> with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
> Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
> I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
> problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
> Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Call them on a cell phone so they can test your line.
> Sure sounds like an ISP issue. Dell can't help you with that. If they
> were
> inclined to try, they couldn't because you have only one phone line. They
> can't troubleshoot your connection while you are on the line with them.
> Get
> another phone line or, better yet, get broadband.
>
> "Hugh Comstock" <ramps@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> 3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
>> I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
>> ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
>> sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
>> technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
>> I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
>> Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
>> its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
>> I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
>> hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
>> after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
>> it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
>> after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
>> YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
>> ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
>> problem.
>> I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
>> This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
>> I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
>> week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
>> with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
>> Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
>> I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
>> problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
>> Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

the only simple solutions are these... and they may not work...
1) roll back the system to an earlier configuration (prior to the updates
which you sugest coincided with the problem).
to do this: start-allprograms-accessories-systemtools-systemrestore...
2) reinstall your msn software.
if the above fail then call msn for support. if they can not get you
connected then cancel the service and use another isp. you are paying msn
after al aren't you? dell has nothing to gain from helping you out with
this msn problem, yet, the way you describe it, it sounds to me that dell
went above and beyond the call of duty to help you.

"Hugh Comstock" <ramps@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Stew
> Thanks for your response...but I am very careful not to click onto
> something i know nothing about....I went thru the exact procedure on
> Friday as I had done on Thursday(without a problem). as follows.
> (1) turn on computer.
> (2) hit start.
> (3) hit MSN EXPLORER.
> (4) hit signing
> (5) wait till a voice that says "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH".
> (6) surf,read email,favorites,go to ebay,etc.
> (7) when finished turn computer off.
> I have never deviated from this procedure.
> Yesterday even after my ISP would not sign me in....I was able to go to
> Internet Explorer and get on line, today I can not
> get on line PERIOD....
> I am bedfast and can not get out to visit computer store or pay the $100
> a hour the technicians charge to make a hose call so I guess I was
> hoping for a simple solution.
> Thanks anyway for your suggestions.
> Take care,
> Hugh

mb

I've had my 2400 for 13 months. Absolutely no problems. I also got broadband
a month after I got the computer

Mel
> Sure sounds like an ISP issue. Dell can't help you with that. If they
were
> inclined to try, they couldn't because you have only one phone line. They
> can't troubleshoot your connection while you are on the line with them.
Get
> another phone line or, better yet, get broadband.
>
> "Hugh Comstock" <ramps@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > 3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
> > I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
> > ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
> > sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
> > technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
> > I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
> > Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
> > its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
> > I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
> > hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
> > after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
> > it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
> > after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
> > YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
> > ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
> > problem.
> > I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
> > This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
> > I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
> > week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
> > with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
> > Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
> > I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
> > problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
> > Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

For what it is worth, my Dell 2400 is NOT a good machine...worked just
fine for 2 months; now takes 12 minutes to load and will not "honor"
my commands to delete thia or that program. Norton's stuff says all is
o.k. but it ain't.
Tim Eldred
Chapel Hill, NC

Hugh Comstock wrote:
> 3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
> I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
> ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
> sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
> technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
> I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
> Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
> its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
> I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
> hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
> after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
> it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
> after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
> YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
> ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
> problem.
> I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
> This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
> I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
> week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
> with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
> Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
> I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
> problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
> Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

Sounds like "operator malfunction". Can't blame the system for that!

"Tim Eldred" <teldred@unc.edu> wrote in message
> For what it is worth, my Dell 2400 is NOT a good machine...worked just
> fine for 2 months; now takes 12 minutes to load and will not "honor"
> my commands to delete thia or that program. Norton's stuff says all is
> o.k. but it ain't.
> Tim Eldred
> Chapel Hill, NC
>
> Hugh Comstock wrote:
>> 3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
>> I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
>> ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
>> sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
>> technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
>> I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
>> Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
>> its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
>> I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
>> hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
>> after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
>> it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
>> after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
>> YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
>> ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
>> problem.
>> I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
>> This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
>> I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
>> week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
>> with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
>> Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
>> I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
>> problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
>> Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

Betcha if you scrubbed the hard drive clean and reinstalled Windows XP from
scratch, it would not take even close to 12 minutes to start up.

What are the potential causes of SLO-O-O-W startup?

1. Dell (and other name brand manufacturers) typically sells entry-level systems
with only 128MB of memory. This is not enough! Upgrade the memory to at least
256MB, if the system is not there already.

2. Almost every software package you install (e.g. printer drivers, scanner
software, anti-virus, firewall, Mozilla browser) adds its own contribution to
the use of already scarce main system memory. Many of these bits of software
are justifiably installed, for example the software that manages the
bi-directional interface to an inkjet printer. Some of these bits of software
like Mozilla offer you the installation option whether or not to make part of
the software always resident in main system memory.

3. Click Start->Run and enter %temp% in the dialog box. This will open up a
Windows Explorer window to view all the temporary files which may have been left
behind by software installers, HP inkjet printer spoolers, IE, Word, etc. etc.
If your system has more than a couple of hundred so-called temporary files, it
needs cleaning out. The built-in Windows Disk Cleanup program does a half-baked
job of cleaning out all this accumulated sludge.

4. Some species of malware, spyware, trojan, or other garbage-ware has infested
your system and is causing it to start up very slowly.

But, please, don't rip on the Dimension 2400! It is not an astonishing piece of
technology. It is entry-level, middle-of-the-road at best, but quite sufficient
for the needs of many people.

Now, then, go spend some time figuring out why your computer runs so slowly and
either fix it or get it fixed... Ben Myers

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:25:02 -0400, Tim Eldred <teldred@unc.edu> wrote:

>For what it is worth, my Dell 2400 is NOT a good machine...worked just
>fine for 2 months; now takes 12 minutes to load and will not "honor"
>my commands to delete thia or that program. Norton's stuff says all is
>o.k. but it ain't.
>Tim Eldred
>Chapel Hill, NC
>
>Hugh Comstock wrote:
>> 3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
>> I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
>> ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
>> sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
>> technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
>> I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
>> Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
>> its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
>> I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
>> hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
>> after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
>> it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
>> after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
>> YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
>> ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
>> problem.
>> I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
>> This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
>> I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
>> week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
>> with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
>> Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
>> I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
>> problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
>> Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

One more thing... Norton, McAfee and most of the other providers of anti-virus
software are all struggling to figure out where to draw the line in removing
malware from a system. They have got it right for true viruses including most
trojans. But there are several species of malware that none of the anti-virus
programs can handle effectively. It is no longer adequate to say "Norton's
stuff says all is o.k".

Download and install Spybot and Ad-Aware, apply the latest updates from their
web sites and run them. In either order. Remove everything that they identify.
For especially nasty software infections, I find Hijackthis, LSPFix, and
CWShredder to be useful, too... Ben Myers

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:25:02 -0400, Tim Eldred <teldred@unc.edu> wrote:

>For what it is worth, my Dell 2400 is NOT a good machine...worked just
>fine for 2 months; now takes 12 minutes to load and will not "honor"
>my commands to delete thia or that program. Norton's stuff says all is
>o.k. but it ain't.
>Tim Eldred
>Chapel Hill, NC
>
>Hugh Comstock wrote:
>> 3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
>> I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
>> ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
>> sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
>> technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
>> I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
>> Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
>> its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
>> I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
>> hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
>> after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
>> it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
>> after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
>> YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
>> ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
>> problem.
>> I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
>> This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
>> I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
>> week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
>> with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
>> Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
>> I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
>> problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
>> Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

>Ben Myers

>What are the potential causes of SLO-O-O-W startup?

>3. Click Start->Run and enter %temp% in the dialog box. This will open up a
>Windows Explorer window to view all the temporary files which may have been
>left
>behind by software installers, HP inkjet printer spoolers, IE, Word, etc.
>etc.
>If your system has more than a couple of hundred so-called temporary files,
>it
>needs cleaning out. The built-in Windows Disk Cleanup program does a
>half-baked
>job of cleaning out all this accumulated sludge.

I did this and came up with over 500 files. Should I simply delete all of them?

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Alan,

The only files in the %temp% folder used by programs are those used by spyware,
malware, etc. Any legit program will either deposit its files in a folder
beneath the Program Files folder or in the Windows\System32 folder (usually for
DLLs). Chuck'em all out... Ben Myers

On 16 Aug 2004 20:21:23 GMT, powrwrap@aol.compost (Alan S. Wales) wrote:

>>Ben Myers
>
>>What are the potential causes of SLO-O-O-W startup?
>
>>3. Click Start->Run and enter %temp% in the dialog box. This will open up a
>>Windows Explorer window to view all the temporary files which may have been
>>left
>>behind by software installers, HP inkjet printer spoolers, IE, Word, etc.
>>etc.
>>If your system has more than a couple of hundred so-called temporary files,
>>it
>>needs cleaning out. The built-in Windows Disk Cleanup program does a
>>half-baked
>>job of cleaning out all this accumulated sludge.
>
>I did this and came up with over 500 files. Should I simply delete all of them?
>

>--
>"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>
>See how the pros get their power!
>http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Robert

I don't have enough fingers to count how often I have seen that.
Even in the corporate world I am seeing virus's, spyware, adaware and bloat
making PC's really SLOW and having all sorts of issues.
Is your virus scanner up to date and running? Do a full virus scan.
Are the microsoft security patches all installed.
After running a system cleanup try running Spybot search & destroy and
adaware. They are excellent programs that can help fix some issues.

"Tim Eldred" <teldred@unc.edu> wrote in message
> For what it is worth, my Dell 2400 is NOT a good machine...worked just
> fine for 2 months; now takes 12 minutes to load and will not "honor"
> my commands to delete thia or that program. Norton's stuff says all is
> o.k. but it ain't.
> Tim Eldred
> Chapel Hill, NC
>
> Hugh Comstock wrote:
> > 3 months ago I purchased a Dell 2400
> > I hooked it up to the MSN ONE Provider
> > ISP. For the first 5 days no problem. Then on the 6th day It would NOT
> > sign me in. For 2 weeks I spent endless hours on the phone with
> > technicians at both Dell and my ISP. Dell finally exchanged the unit.
> > I have had the exchange for around 5 weeks now with NO problem until
> > Thusday....I went in signed in as usual,it rang the butterfly flapped
> > its wings and I heard "GOOD AFTERNOON HUGH", A flag came up informing me
> > I had "9 NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE" I clicked it for the updates. A couple
> > hours later I turned on the unit......every thing was the same except
> > after I clicked "SIGN IN" the butterfly flapped it's wings, i could hear
> > it ring, a flag came up saying "YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" but
> > after 5 attempts at signing me in a flag came up saying "WE CAN NOT SIGN
> > YOU IN" I spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday with 7 different
> > ISP technicians, all ran me thru something different, NONE corrected the
> > problem.
> > I can NOT get connected useing MSN Exployer or Internet Exployer.
> > This morning I call Dell when the Dell technician told me the problem is
> > I only have one phone line...I hung up. I only had one phone line last
> > week too and had NO problem......I'm not going thru what I went thru
> > with over 20 Dell technicians (2 of which spoke english) with my first
> > Dell 2400...I don't need a computer that badly,
> > I only wanted one so I could buy and sell on eBay. Anyone else hae a
> > problem with the 2400? could it be that the 2400 is the cheapest one
> > Dell makes?....any ideas would be appericated...thanks, Hugh/ohio

mb

Ben:

I also have over 500 items in this folder (including other folders that
contain hardly anything).

I'm kind of hesitant to delete it all for fear of causing a problem.

I've emptied my recycle bin.

Perhaps I should dump all those programs there and then empty the bin in a
week or so if no problems develop. What do you think??

Mel
> Alan,
>
> The only files in the %temp% folder used by programs are those used by
spyware,
> malware, etc. Any legit program will either deposit its files in a folder
> beneath the Program Files folder or in the Windows\System32 folder
(usually for
> DLLs). Chuck'em all out... Ben Myers
>
> On 16 Aug 2004 20:21:23 GMT, powrwrap@aol.compost (Alan S. Wales) wrote:
>
> >>Ben Myers
> >
> >>What are the potential causes of SLO-O-O-W startup?
> >
> >>3. Click Start->Run and enter %temp% in the dialog box. This will open
up a
> >>Windows Explorer window to view all the temporary files which may have
been
> >>left
> >>behind by software installers, HP inkjet printer spoolers, IE, Word,
etc.
> >>etc.
> >>If your system has more than a couple of hundred so-called temporary
files,
> >>it
> >>needs cleaning out. The built-in Windows Disk Cleanup program does a
> >>half-baked
> >>job of cleaning out all this accumulated sludge.
> >
> >I did this and came up with over 500 files. Should I simply delete all of
them?

> >--
> >"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
> >
> >See how the pros get their power!
> >http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message news:10i5eut51cqre3f@corp.supernews.com...

> I'm kind of hesitant to delete it all for fear of causing a problem.

> Perhaps I should dump all those programs there and then empty the bin in a
> week or so if no problems develop. What do you think??

The %temp% folder can be used by any application, and many NON
malware apps put files there (data files, dll files, exe's, zip files, anything
goes). As the name implies, the folder is meant to store temporary files
which are only needed for a limited amount of time. A rough analogy
would be you needing a piece of paper to add up some numbers and
when you have your answer you throw the paper out. A program
may need to create/manipulate one or more files while it is performing
some action, but when it is done the files are no longer needed. The
%temp% directory and associated API functions/methods are there
for that purpose.

A well-written program will remove the temp files when they are no
longer needed, but a) not all programs are well written and b) not all
well written programs are terminated and/or uninstalled properly. So
the %temp% directory can fill up with junk. DiskCleanup appears to
try to cleanup that directory, but it appears to err on the side of
caution. Presumably because it has no real way of knowing when
programs are done using the files that they put there. It looks to me
that DiskCleanup a) doesn't remove subdirs and their contents,
b) doesn't remove files that are currently open/locked, b) doesn't
remove read-only files, and c) checks the last accessed time and
only deletes files if they weren't accessed recently. So manual
intervention would be prudent every now and then.

In order not to interfere with an uninstall or install that completes
upon the next restart, I would wait until after a restart or boot and
before you start running apps and using the system. At that point it
is highly likely that you can go ahead and delete whatever you can
in the %temp% dir and it won't adversely impact anything. If you
don't like that idea you could move the folder's contents to another
location and then wait for awhile to see if you run into any problems
that seem related.

Okay, here's a little bit about how to selectively delete the junk files in
%temp% :

1. Most any folder is a leftover from a software install. Dump it.
2. Any .DOC, .HTM, .TMP file can be deleted safely.
3. HP inkjet printer drivers leave behind pairs of files for each print job
submitted. I forget what the extensions of the files are, but they all begin
with HP.
4. Any executable (EXE) or dynalink library file (DLL) has absolutely no
business in the folder, so delete them. Really! An honest (non-spyware)
software install will create its own folder subsidiary to Program Files.

If you have personally stored files in %temp%, don't remove them. I have
clients who have unwittingly stored all their AutoCAD drawings there.
Interesting work habits!

Hey, you're not in bad shape. I have encountered client systems with thousands
of files in %temp% , and pitifully slow performance to match.

If you have questions about the value of other files in %temp% , post info about
them here... Ben Myers

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:15:51 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>Ben:
>
>I also have over 500 items in this folder (including other folders that
>contain hardly anything).
>
>I'm kind of hesitant to delete it all for fear of causing a problem.
>
>I've emptied my recycle bin.
>
>Perhaps I should dump all those programs there and then empty the bin in a
>week or so if no problems develop. What do you think??
>
>Mel
>> Alan,
>>
>> The only files in the %temp% folder used by programs are those used by
>spyware,
>> malware, etc. Any legit program will either deposit its files in a folder
>> beneath the Program Files folder or in the Windows\System32 folder
>(usually for
>> DLLs). Chuck'em all out... Ben Myers

>up a
>been
>etc.
>files,
>> >
>> >I did this and came up with over 500 files. Should I simply delete all of
>them?
>> >

>> >--
>> >"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>> >
>> >See how the pros get their power!
>> >http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

I hope this isn't too late to put in my 2 cents' worth, but yeah: updates
are NOT always advisable.
Before I put a unit on the Net, I first do the following:

1) format / reinstall as necessary,
2) install SPYBOT (now using version 1.3) with all appropriate blockers and
immunizations,
3) install NORTON anti-virus

==
get on net, immediately run: Norton's live update, and spybot's updates,
followed by re-immunizing the system.
along with a few reboots from Norton's updates, the next thing you need to
do is run Microsoft's critical updates, and keep the HELL AWAY from ANYTHING
MSN related! I get rid of MSN explorer AND msn messenger. You do not need
them, and you do not need to upload those stupid non-critical .net and (I
forget the other one--MSN messenger, perhaps?) Microsoft updates.
==
And don't be afraid to tell a Dell tech that they're an idiot for suggesting
your problem is you only have one phone. However, I suspect s/he meant that
they couldn't talk to you while you were trying to connect, thus, there was
little-to-no way for them to "take ownership" and help you fix your problem.

R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
*Help for Humans in Need*
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)

--Psychic wanted. Qualified persons know where to apply.