How do i set up my default mail client on windows 7

You can't set up a default email client until you install one, since Microsoft does not include one with Windows 7 (in case you're wondering, an email client is simply the "geek" name for email software like Outlook Express or Windows Mail.

However, neither of those will work on Windows 7. A popular free alternative is Thunderbird from Mozilla:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I've notice older users like a mail client installed on their machines, I've used Thunderbird it really is easy to setup. Younger users tend to like the web based mail. I like the web based to if there is a hard drive crash you don't loose important emails.

you can setup email clients to not delete the email from the server, including Windows Live Mail....that way it is always stored on the server.

Also, it is a matter of just teaching others on where to go to access their email from another computer, via most providers's website; For most people, you don't need gmail.com or yahoo.com if your only goal is to only use webmail; You can use your ISP's webmail which can also hook in to your email client.etc.

golf nut

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I am building a new PC. We're going from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Home Premium. Currently we use Outlook Express. Outlook express downloads e-mails from Comcast's servers to our hard drive, and we backup our e-mail messages regularly.

So am I hearing you correctly that Windows 7 Home Premium does not come with Outlook, Outlook Express, or any other mail client like Windows XP Pro did?

I am also buying Office 2010 Professional, which comes with Outlook. So I guess I use Outlook as my mail client unless I want a web-based client like Comcast's XFINITY internet e-mail service, correct?

golf nut

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
The thing I am concerned about is that between my wife and I, we have 5 Comcast e-mail addresses. With Outlook Express, we were able to set up 3 separate identities, with each identity handling the e-mail addresses we specified. For example, I have one identity that only aggregated the e-mails from my two e-mail addresses. Then my wife has an identity for her 2 e-mail addresses. Then we have a third identity for my wife's business e-mail address.

Can this type of thing be done with Outlook? I fear not...

Yes, i believe that the Justice Dept. forbid Microsoft from including programs as part of the installation. However you can Install the replacement for Outlook Express for Windows 7, which is downloadable for free, called Windows Live Mail which is a part of Windows Live Essentials, and they will be dropping the "Live" part shortly. The package also includes a Windows Live Photo Gallery, and some other programs in it as well, for free.

If you are getting Office Professional, you don't really need the other email client software. However, as I said, the Windows version is a suite and includes other software, and you can pick and choose which to install or not install.

You can, but not in the same way as you could in Outlook Express (not all at the same time).

You CAN do the thing that you want in Windows Live Mail; I use it for that main reason.

One user did mention outlook.com which is Microsoft's online webmail version and replacement for Hotmail.com.

golf nut

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Danny, how do you like Windows Live Mail? Is it easy enough to transition to it from Outlook Express? My wife is not big on change, as she thinks she has enough stress n her life... :D

mpcollins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Ok, I have a question for you, please. I have a number of web-based email, however Hotmail is my main one. I have Windows Live on my XP to get to all of my Hotmail accounts (not my others though). When I got my netbook, I decided to limit what I installed onto it, trying to use it in mostly a web-based capacity.

A bit ago, I tried to send a file on the netbook to email. I was vainly hoping it would let me enter in a location. I think that I need a bit of clarification. Do I understand correctly that I can't tell Windows 7 to go to a web-based client? I'm hoping that I don't have to install Windows Live on the netbook. I think that on past occasions, emails that I've sent from my XP did not make it up to the Hotmail server.

So, there is nothing that I can do to get around this dilemma?

you are fine, webmail is available on any computer, from any web browser.
You can use both, webmail and a regular client, like Windows Live Mail.

sorry golf nut for not replying sooner. I must have missed your reply some how, or meant to get back to you.

I love Windows Live Mail and to be honest it is the most like Outlook Express anyhow and you can easily do what you and her want.

I don't like Gmail ( I like tabbed or Windowed messages and Gmail doesn't have that) for webmail and I prefer Outlook.com and Yahoo.com mail for web-based mail.

I do have gmail and another account set up inside my Windows Live Mail which solves the problem of the lack of tabs/windows in gmail.

mpcollins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

No, no, no, that's not the problem. Let's say you're on some website, looking up information. The page gives you the option of printing or emailing. For that particular situation, I want to email it. That's what I can't do because right now, my setup is expecting some email app to be running. I'm wondering if there is someway to make Windows 7 see the Hotmail web client as my main email.

mpcollins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

No, no, no, that's not the problem. Let's say you're on some website, looking up information. The page gives you the option of printing or emailing. For that particular situation, I want to email it. That's what I can't do because right now, my setup is expecting some email app to be running. I'm wondering if there is some way to make Windows 7 see the Hotmail web client as my main email.

mpcollins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

No, no, no, that's not the problem. Let's say you're on some website, looking up information. The page gives you the option of printing or emailing. For that particular situation, I want to email it. That's what I can't do because right now, my setup is expecting some email app to be running. I'm wondering if there is some way to make Windows 7 see the Hotmail web client as my main email.

mpcollins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013