Going too far....

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know this thread should be in "OTHER", but the need for it was started here in CPU.

It's one thing to exhange words in a forum like this, but when you take your anger outside of the forum and try to damage someones livelyhood, that is going too far.

You know who you are, and you should be ashamed. You can add a comment to your post at "www.youknowwhere.com" to retract your remarks.

Simply disgusting.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No Spud, it wasn't you (you seem surprised!).

Someone here posted a very negative ficticious comment on a highly visible business rating site. People going to that site will take it seriously. He probably thought it was funny.

What is funny about attempting to ruin someones business? It was in poor taste to post here, but to put out in public, where it will be taken seriously, is dead wrong.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Oh well i thought is was cause i went crazy yesterday .. it makes me a very sad blue man (wish i could be and orange man) but my buddy sexual harassment panda told me to taker easy. Us mascots stick together you know:)Ya that nomorelamers and tbirdinside are very direspectful :(

SPUD

Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man:)

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At this point I suppose it doesn't matter, as the issue has been tossed back and forth in the thead "Help With My New Computer".

I'll let you figure out who placed the post on "resellerratings.com". That person deserves to be ignored. Period.

You don't try to destroy an individuals business over an opinion on who builds the best CPU chip. A pointless argument to begin with, but to take to this extreme is just plain sick and demented.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No.

The owner of the first post. However, he has edited his original post and replaced it with something that attempts to be an apology.

He didn't have the guts to leave it. Had to cover it up.

At least www.resellerratings.com removed the post. I hope little damage, if any, was done.

mousepotato

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2001
The name of the thread was "My new computer", I think. It was a bogus review of service/computer that he supposedly bought from someone that has been posting regularly in this forum. He claimed all kinds of problems with system, like p/s not even plugged in to mobo. Unanswered calls, business in Mom's basement, Mom answers the phone, it was pretty funny, kind of... Although, it was almost completly obvious that it was a fabricated story, some people took it seriously. I think one guy actually offered help to fix his problems (in that guys defence- if you didn't read all the flaming going on between those two, it may not have been <i>that</i> obviously fabbed). The story was completely uncalled for. Flame if you must, but, that was a step over the edge. The guy probably has a family, don't take food from his kid's mouths.

dhlucke

Polypheme
There was a group of people last night going crazy...myself included. Spud and I got into a fued in one thread, and in the thread in question a group of people attacked Cyberboy and his business. It really went to far. I think the only reason it stopped is because cyber threatened to take legal action against them.

It went way too far...

It's all fun to have a flaming war every once in a while, but attacking a person's business non-constructively is not good...

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

beans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Everyone -

One thing this shows is that we have to use resellerratings intelligently.

Any post out there can be bogus. Any business, no matter how good, is going to have some problem customers and problem transactions. It's important to look for patterns and not pay too much attention to individual posts.

Resellerratings is an important resource for all of us. A pox on anyone who would deliberately post anything untrue there.

beans

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Woo-hoo-hoo!

For a second I thought I was about to get ganged-up on for telling Cybey (CYBERIMAGE) that his company's web site was too much flash and not enough real information. Heh heh.

Which I still stand by that statement. I've had three other web admins all review it, two of which are professional web designers. They all agree with me. It's too flashy. It looks more like an over-zealous personal web page than a business page.

Besides, I was giving constructive criticism. I mean Cybey could take the thought seriously and fix the site up.

So anyway, I'm just glad you're not talking about me. Heh heh. Because I know I never did anything THAT crazy or ever would.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
It doesn't look flashy! It looks more like it was designed by someone who just bought a 'web sites for dummies' book and decided to make one for himself.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Art thou crazy?

It has way too many animations. Flahsy flashy FLASHY.

I almost go into epileptic seizures just looking at it.

Luckily for me though, I don't often view web pages full-screen. This has allowed me to survive it's viewing because I don't have to look at it all at once.

To be honest, I'm surprised there aren't a million sound files linked into things with some annoying crappy music file playing in the background. Or even a javascriptlet to change the background colors. So I guess it could have been worse.

But I do think that the LED banner was about two steps too many over the top. I would call it the icing on the cake, but it's more like the straw that broke the camel's back really.

And you're probably correct about the 'Web Sites For Dummies' part. I can't imagine any other excuse than just being ten years old...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think we disagree yet also agree.

I would define flashy as something that actually looks good.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm ... sounds like you are (or cavort with) Australian(s). Heh heh. My wife (who is one) had to take time to explain to me that there, flash was a good thing. But I am still stuck in my old ways that 'flashy' is synonymous with gaudy. However 'flash' is neato-keen.

But in any event, to avoid confusion, I hereby change my depiction of the site from 'flashy' to 'gaudy'. I don't believe that gaudy is a word that anyone can get confused, no matter what the regional vernacular may be. :)

And now, for my official managerial jargon:
"From a professional standpoint, the over-abundance of animated graphics on that site is detracting from the viewability of the site itself."

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I'm not Australian, but its cool. 'Gaudy' is a more descriptive word in this sense.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think we all agree that the site is very unproffessional, but I think the beauty of the whole thing is how easily it could be improved. Wouldn't take much. Redo the navigation and get rid of the extra flashy/gaudy graphics. That would be a huge improvement in itself.

Hey, I started with the Dummies book back in the day. But I never finished it and got a real book about 1/3 of the way through. But it was a decent starting point....

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can tell Cyberimage whatever you want about his web site, there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. Perhaps it will help him improve his site (if it needs improvement).

But posting a damaging ficticious story on resellerratings.com to turn customers away from his site is simply wrong. How can that even be considered a joke? I certainly did not find it funny. Even though I don't know Cyberimage (other then through his postings here), I found the attack against him most offensive.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, I agree that whoever did that was very wrong to do so. The words legal action and slander come to mind. Just as I would be highly perturbed if anyone did that to me.

I'm just ecstatic about not being the one to gang up on. When I was reading through the beginning of this thread, I was worried that my constructive criticism had been taken in a seriously wrong way or something awful like that. I hadn't known that someone had gone way overboard to do such a horrible thing.

So when I realised that it wasn't me who had done something horrible, I was happy.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, exactly. The site isn't totally worthless. It's just gaudy and totally unprofessional. (And it could use more information.)

If the graphics were toned down a LOT, and the spacing of the page were something normal, it would help immensely. Putting a better method of navigation in would help even more. And, of course, it needs more information. Educated customers LIKE to read. And there certainly isn't much to read on the site.

It would be easy to fix.

I've never cracked open any of the dummy or idiot books yet. I started my HTML learning from on-line tutorials. Then I got a good solid HTML book to augment them. I was writing my pages in Notepad from the very beginning, and still am. I started my home page way back when Geocities only offered a single meg. Heh heh. Sadly, my home page still doesn't use much more than that yet. But it looks ten times more professional than Cybey's, and I don't even run a business off of it.