{Crawl} rods

keith

Yes, rods are fine, but my problems are:

- priests, unless I confuse them they smite me double-quick,

- centaurs, need enchantments to repel missiles,

- orc warriors, I need ages to kill them with my puny rod,

Is wizard the only way?

keith wrote:
> Yes, rods are fine, but my problems are:
>
> - priests, unless I confuse them they smite me double-quick,
>
> - centaurs, need enchantments to repel missiles,
>
> - orc warriors, I need ages to kill them with my puny rod,
>
> Is wizard the only way?

Priests: Wands, development of a secondary attack skill, avoidance
(easy enough for Spriggans), delaying the Orcish Mines.

Centaurs: Go ahead and do learn enchantments. Use the terrain to
minimize the time when they're outside melee range -- when at melee
range they will indeed use melee, which is a bit less painful. Develop
a secondary attack skill.

Orc Warriors: Go ahead and spend ages; run circles around pillars as
you plink at them. If pillar-dancing with them is difficult because
you're not on a cleared level, lure them upstairs to a cleared level.
Develop a secondary attack skill.

Overall, you should make a beeline for the Lair, as it has (judging not
from the code, but from a lot of experience) a high percentage of magic
items of all sorts, and tends to be where one finds one first scroll of
acquirement, and thus where a spriggan will get their first "real" rod.

Your best secondary attack would probably be darts or bows. Sure,
they'll be almost unused after you get a real rod, but you'll never get
a real rod if you can't survive until your first scroll of acquirement.

Erik

keith wrote:
> > Priests: Wands, development of a secondary attack skill, avoidance
> > (easy enough for Spriggans), delaying the Orcish Mines.
>
> Which wands? And how will a secondary attack skill prevent them from

> smiting me (except by killing them real quick).

See Loonie's reply. Generally anything unresistable, i.e. any direct
damage wand except Disintegration, will do in a pinch. Resistable stuff
is not too useful against Orc Priests because they have a high
resistance (and overall in Crawl, resistance is a little too strong for
resistable things to be useful in many situations).

> > Centaurs: Go ahead and do learn enchantments. Use the terrain to
> > minimize the time when they're outside melee range -- when at melee
> > range they will indeed use melee, which is a bit less painful.
Develop
> > a secondary attack skill.
>
> Well, surprise, surprise... Now I've found even with Repel Missiles
in
> effect, they still shoot through and kill me.

Yes; RM is imperfect (and DM, while nearly perfect at least against
normal missiles, is hard to learn and is expensive). Still helps,
though. Like I say, the best Repel Missiles is use of terrain. Say
you're in this situation:
#@...
###....
#......
#.#....
#.#....
#.#....
#.#....
#...c..
###....

With decent stealth, you can usually avoid detection long enough to
duck into the little corridor in this situation. When you pop out,
you're almost in melee range, where the nasty buggers are much less
effective. Still, I admit that this is less applicable to spriggans
than to races that can take a hit or two and keep on ticking.

> Next time I'll confuse them first, then cast Repel Missiles. Or
better yet, avoid them altogether.

Nah. Centaur meat is yummy! (And revenge tastes nice too.) Also, you
might find that by the time you meet your second centaur, your best
defense will be the bow left behind by the first one. :)

[...]

> ok, where can I get a list of good items to wish for?

Loonie explained the bit of not being able to wish for particular
items. So, what are good categories to wish for? In my experience, the
highest good-to-dud ratio comes from staves/rods, unless you use
neither magic nor evocations or you've already got as much as you want
in that category. After that comes books, as long as you use spells and
it's not too early in the game. (Acquirement tries to give you, as far
as I can tell, something you've not already seen, and makes a
halfhearted effort to give you something that's out of depth, so if you
haven't seen many books you might get a nice out of depth one, but you
might get something dumb like the Book of Cantrips just because you
haven't already seen it yet.) Money can't go completely wrong, since
(in the early game at least), you can always find a use for it, but the
one time I tried that, I got some stupidly small amount. Weapons and
armour are completely potluck in my experience; here too I see a lot of
the "here's something stupid just because you haven't seen it yet"
phenomenon. And even when I've seen everything I just have awful luck
with weapon/armor acquirements. Jewelry is essentially the same
problem, though for some reason turns out a bit better for me on
average. The remaining categories are utterly forgettable.

Erik

Twisted One wrote:
> Looks like Crawl has an in-between compromise -- something called
> "acquirement" which is more specific than a random high quality item
> (angband "acquirement") and less specific than a precisely named item

> (many RLs' "wishing"). Instead you pick a category and get a random
good
> item constrained to the category?

Basically, but the code also analyzes your character and tries to pick
an item good for your character. There is, of course, a random factor
which may make the item less useful.

> And "staves" as a category name
> includes actual staves and also rods -- which I'm guessing are not at

> all like Angband staves and rods. (At least the staves aren't -- it
> seems they are magic-enhanced melee weapons.

Staves are technically melee weapons, but usually not worth actually
attacking with. Some do have special effects when attacking, but that
is more cool than useful. Their purpose is to enhance the spellcasting
of the wielder, and each staff does so in a different way. Think along
the lines of Lord of the Rings staves, or maybe ToME mage staves,
except much more varied.

> I'm guessing Crawl rods are not the
> same, but still function as devices that are used to evoke magic,
> particularly some of the more powerful targeted attack spells,
without
> having to be of some spellcasting class.)

Rods allow you to cast spells contained within them. You use your
magic points, and your device skill. They're actually a lot like
Angband spellbooks. The main difference is that you have to wield
them. Crawl spellbooks are more like Nethack spellbooks.

That is all to the best of my knowlege. I like crawl a lot, but I'm
far from an expert.

keith

> Priests: Wands, development of a secondary attack skill, avoidance
> (easy enough for Spriggans), delaying the Orcish Mines.

Which wands? And how will a secondary attack skill prevent them from
smiting me (except by killing them real quick).

> Centaurs: Go ahead and do learn enchantments. Use the terrain to
> minimize the time when they're outside melee range -- when at melee
> range they will indeed use melee, which is a bit less painful. Develop
> a secondary attack skill.

Well, surprise, surprise... Now I've found even with Repel Missiles in
effect, they still shoot through and kill me. Next time I'll confuse them
first, then cast Repel Missiles. Or better yet, avoid them altogether.

> Orc Warriors: Go ahead and spend ages; run circles around pillars as
> you plink at them. If pillar-dancing with them is difficult because
> you're not on a cleared level, lure them upstairs to a cleared level.
> Develop a secondary attack skill.

> Overall, you should make a beeline for the Lair, as it has (judging not
> from the code, but from a lot of experience) a high percentage of magic
> items of all sorts, and tends to be where one finds one first scroll of
> acquirement, and thus where a spriggan will get their first "real" rod.

ok, where can I get a list of good items to wish for?

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

keith .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> Yes, rods are fine, but my problems are:
> - priests, unless I confuse them they smite me double-quick,
> - centaurs, need enchantments to repel missiles,
> - orc warriors, I need ages to kill them with my puny rod,
> Is wizard the only way?

You can try to avoid them and hopefully find scroll of achievement soon. As
your Evoking skill increases so usually does the damage, however for the
rod of striking it's thresholded at rather low damage value.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

keith .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>> Priests: Wands, development of a secondary attack skill, avoidance
>> (easy enough for Spriggans), delaying the Orcish Mines.
> Which wands?

Fire, cold, lightning, disintegration, fireball, draining, etc. Frost and
flame are rather weak.

> And how will a secondary attack skill prevent them from
> smiting me (except by killing them real quick).

Melee attack with spriggan is not a good idea IMO.

>> Overall, you should make a beeline for the Lair, as it has (judging not
>> from the code, but from a lot of experience) a high percentage of magic
>> items of all sorts, and tends to be where one finds one first scroll of
>> acquirement, and thus where a spriggan will get their first "real" rod.
>
> ok, where can I get a list of good items to wish for?

It's not like other RL, here you wish only for a type of item, not
specifying the name or sth. Then you obtain a random item from the
category. When you want a rod you should wish for "staves" and have
Evocations skill better than any other magic-related skill.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

oonie wrote:
> It's not like other RL, here you wish only for a type of item, not
> specifying the name or sth. Then you obtain a random item from the
> category. When you want a rod you should wish for "staves" and have
> Evocations skill better than any other magic-related skill.

Angband has acquirement simply produce a random item subject to some
quality constraints. It could be magical armor; an artifact; a weapon
with slays or other fancy attributes; a high level useful item of some
sort...

On the other hand games from the Nethack tradition (including ADOM) have
wishing (and some Angband variants also) where specific objects can be
wished for. This is usually called "wishing" instead of "acquirement".

Looks like Crawl has an in-between compromise -- something called
"acquirement" which is more specific than a random high quality item
(angband "acquirement") and less specific than a precisely named item
(many RLs' "wishing"). Instead you pick a category and get a random good
item constrained to the category? And "staves" as a category name
includes actual staves and also rods -- which I'm guessing are not at
all like Angband staves and rods. (At least the staves aren't -- it
seems they are magic-enhanced melee weapons. Angband staves are more
like RL wands, items with charges. What most RLs put in wands alone,
Angband splits into two categories -- wands which have targetable
effects and tend to carry few charges, and don't weigh much; and staves
which carry many charges, have effects on the player, effects like
identify, or effects on everything nearby, and weigh a lot. Also,
Angband staves are fire vulnerable; Angband wands, save those that
produce electric magic, such as lightning bolts or wonder, are
electricity vulnerable. I'm guessing Crawl goes the Nethackish route
here and has wands cover all this territory, letting you target them at
the player or, for some effects, not target them at all. As for rods ...
I dunno. Angband's cast effects of any type, some targetable, some not,
but they have only one charge. The charge returns by itself a while
after it's used, taking longer for some types of rod than others. Most
of them can't be used more than once in a battle unless you break off
combat, rest, and later resume -- something sometimes done anyway to
recover health and mana, mind you. I'm guessing Crawl rods are not the
same, but still function as devices that are used to evoke magic,
particularly some of the more powerful targeted attack spells, without
having to be of some spellcasting class.)

keith

Okay, thanks for all the nice replies, I'll wish for staves for sure! Now,
how do I find a proper place to stash all my unused books/rods/scrolls in?

keith wrote:
> Okay, thanks for all the nice replies, I'll wish for staves for sure!
> Now, how do I find a proper place to stash all my unused
> books/rods/scrolls in?

The usual choice for a base camp is the ecumenical temple since it has
no random monster generation. Other camps should be set up just next to
the yellow staircase that leads to the branch you are exploring (after
clearing the first room, of course), so you don't burn all of your
teleportion scrolls when hit by a firebolt.

Lars

Just to fill in a few gaps IdW didn't fill in.

Twisted One wrote:

[Comparison of wishing and acquirement]

> Looks like Crawl has an in-between compromise [...]

Linley, the "founder" of Crawl, started development after playing quite
a bit of NH and Angband and getting some ideas about what he liked and
disliked from both. It seems he liked neither the sureness of wishing
(leading to "ascension kit" phenomenon) nor the utter randomness of
*band acquirement (which takes some of the fun and the strategizing out
of the matter). There's still enough randomness that I think the name
fits.

> (many RLs' "wishing"). Instead you pick a category and get a random
good
> item constrained to the category?

Right, and for whatever reason (pretty printing? design decision?),
staves and rods are placed in the same category. Like IdW said, your
skills and what you've already seen affect, but cannot fully dictate,
the outcome of acquirement.

> And "staves" as a category name
> includes actual staves and also rods -- which I'm guessing...

To reiterate IdW:

Staves: usable as weapons, not very good as weapons, are divided into
mundane (quarterstaves) and magical; magical staves augment
spellcasting in some way, and some have ego effects. They cannot be
enchanted up, however, which makes them quite inferior for battle even
when they provide good egos. For spellcasting, their effects are
devastating if used well. Think of them as *mage staves* of
*reallypowerfulness*.

Rods: Not usable as weapons. Hyper-rare in the wild. Each contains one
or a few spells, which become available when, and only when, the rod is
wielded. No charges, use caster's MP, independent of spellcasting (and
INT), no food cost unlike spells, no failures unlike spells, confuse
you when used without enough MP, use evocations ("device") skill.

Both staves and rods (and most things things all of the time and all
things most of the time) are immune to item damage in Crawl... thank
God.

Both must be wielded to be used and are 2-handed, which is an important
strategic consideration in Crawl.

> electricity vulnerable. I'm guessing Crawl goes the Nethackish route
> here and has wands cover all this territory, letting you target them
at
> the player or, for some effects, not target them at all. As for rods
> I dunno.

Rods were discussed above.

Crawl wands:

- are plentiful
- have charges
- are "expensive" to recharge in that recharging sources are limited --
you need to carefully consider every charge on the more valuable wands
-- "can I get this done with a less valuable resource?"
- are all targetable effects, unlike rodspells
- use Evocations
- need not be wielded
- cannot be destroyed; this fact makes wands that overlap with potions
and scrolls veeery valuable in the endgame, which is heavy on item
destruction.

> recover health and mana, mind you. I'm guessing Crawl rods are not
the
> same, but still function as devices that are used to evoke magic,
> particularly some of the more powerful targeted attack spells,
without
> having to be of some spellcasting class.)

More important perhaps are the utility rods, since a character who's
ignored spellcasting can still kill things quite efficiently by other
means, but utility spells are otherwise hard to replace.

A character who ignores spellcasting, pumps fighting skills, tops out
Evocations (Crawl is heavily skill-based), and has a broad arsenal of
acquired rods can walk all over the game. It's a hard situation to set
up, though.
Erik

keith wrote:
> Okay, thanks for all the nice replies, I'll wish for staves for sure!
Now,
> how do I find a proper place to stash all my unused
books/rods/scrolls in?

The usual choice for a first base camp is the Ecumenical temple because
etc. etc. The usual choice for a second base camp is level one of the
Lair, because it contains nothing that can damage (fire/ice attacks) or
use potions or scrolls -- animals can't pick things up, nothing but
animals appear there, and the firebreathing animals don't appear until
deeper down.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> - are plentiful
> - have charges
> - are "expensive" to recharge in that recharging sources are limited --
> you need to carefully consider every charge on the more valuable wands
> -- "can I get this done with a less valuable resource?"
> - are all targetable effects, unlike rodspells
> - use Evocations
> - need not be wielded
> - cannot be destroyed; this fact makes wands that overlap with potions
> and scrolls veeery valuable in the endgame, which is heavy on item
> destruction.

Is there a failure risk? Angband players prefer scrolls of teleport to
magical devices of teleport in the mid and late game because devices
have a failure risk. Scrolls do not, if you have resistance to blindness
and confusion and avoid running out. The defense against fire losses is
to carry many -- they don't weigh much. (Penalty in Angband for too much
carried weight is slowing, which can be a serious problem if it makes
the difference between $(nasty_monster) getting a double move and twice
casting $(nasty_spell), such as manastorm, before you get one move to
escape or heal.)

> More important perhaps are the utility rods, since a character who's
> ignored spellcasting can still kill things quite efficiently by other
> means, but utility spells are otherwise hard to replace.

Hrm. Angband warriors come to love rods of trap detection and, later,
detect all, not to mention perception (identify). So, Angband's rods are
also important when they have utility spells. On the other hand, Angband
warriors sometimes want to be able to deliver ranged damage with an area
effect to remove pesky breeders. Arrows and crossbow bolts won't cut it,
not if you want an area effect. Enter rods of foo balls...

In article <1113220373.564666.147360@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
Erik Piper <erik@sky.cz> wrote:
//
// > (many RLs' "wishing"). Instead you pick a category and get a random
// good
// > item constrained to the category?
//
// Right, and for whatever reason (pretty printing? design decision?),
// staves and rods are placed in the same category.

It's because "rods" used to be known as "spell staves". The name change
happened when they ceased to be real weapons.

Brent Ross

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Erik Piper .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> More important perhaps are the utility rods, since a character who's
> ignored spellcasting can still kill things quite efficiently by other
> means, but utility spells are otherwise hard to replace.

You just live without them, there is no spell which is essential to survive
(excluding spells contained in scrolls of course).

> A character who ignores spellcasting, pumps fighting skills, tops out
> Evocations (Crawl is heavily skill-based), and has a broad arsenal of
> acquired rods can walk all over the game. It's a hard situation to set
> up, though.

I tend to disagree, fighters (of strong or armoured style) are powerful
enough to go through without need for evocations. Topping evocations is a
third simple playing strategy (the second is offensive spellcasting).

--
Loonie