maximdymok

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hi all. I just got a new mouse because my 4th one this month broke. I'm a gaming addict, so the mice really get worn out fast. This mouse, however, is a cheap one - but already has problems. So first off, with high sens - when I move the mouse really slowly to aim at something far away - if I move it just slightly, the crosshair doesn't move at all. If I move it just a bit quicker, it moves 2-3 pixels at a time. That was really annoying, so I lowered the sens as low as it will go before I'm completely immobilized. Now the darn thing has negative acceleration - or at least that's what I think it is. Basically, it feels like the sensor can't keep up with me when I move the mouse quickly - so it travels less than expected when I "twitch-aim". It's very annoying. Also, when turning around - if I do it quickly - the cursor not just covers less distance than it should, but also goes crazy, making circles instead of moving in a straight line. I have tried messing with the resolution, in hopes of affecting the DPI - but luck is not on my side. Also, I generally use a shelf as my mousepad (ROFL), so I figured it could be the culprit - but my tiny-ass mousepad doesn't fix the problems either. Anything you can suggest guys? P.S. the cheapo mouse is a Logitech M100.

mice should last you for several years if you take care of them.

i have used everything from $5 led or ball mice to $100 laser wireless mice and quite frankly most work perfectly fine if you adjust the settings.

do not adjust your windows resolution or game resolution. match your monitor.

for windows mouse speed just pick what is comfortable for you to use. with low dpi mice moving across the screen with 1" of mouse throw is not ideal. be reasonable and make mouse motion 1:1 with screen movement. ie, across the pad left to right once moves the mouse from the far left to far right. with higher dpi mice you will get better low throw performance. you might want to see if the logitech drivers have dpi adjustments. even on 4500dpi mice i normally only set them to 450-1200dpi in games.

in games i normally set the mouse speed so that 90* left and 90* right are equal to moving the mouse from pad center to pad left and pad right. higher dpi will result in smoother movement but can also result in quite a bit of jittering effect from involuntary hand movements. some people prefer gaming mice with a button tied to high/low dpi settings but i personally have not felt the need for such things.

remember that mouse surfaces matter!

use of a mousepad (i prefer plain cloth/foamrubber ones for $5) that is clean will help the teflon feet slide across the surface to eliminate mouse sticking. if you wear the teflon feet off your pad (which happens 4x faster than when using a pad) you can increase the amount the mouse sticks to surfaces. you can replace the pads.

the surface texture and print matter as well. glossy surfaces such as glass might not work well with the tracking sensors and rough surfaces (yes even smooth shelves, polished wood and the like are rough) will chew up teflon feet. some prints such as high contrast white on back, some wood grains and other busy textures can sometimes generate jitters due to the sensor not being able to track well.

---

as far as your perceived mouse actions?

the cheapo dell mouse here generates the same issues with slow micromovments. in order to game with such a mouse your mouse throw would need to be much larger to compensate for the poor dpi and tracking ability.

investing in a better mouse would not be a bad idea.

just some food for thought.

maximdymok

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Well, I've already done everything you suggested. I think the mouse has 1000 DPI but it still does these annoying jittering movements and is hard to aim with at even very low sensitivity. I'm tired of investing into expensive mice, they still break quickly for me :(