Flash Roguelike game: The Tombs

I've just finish and posted 0.9.196, the first good stable, playable
version of my pet project, The Tombs. It's claim to fame, if you can
call it that, is that it's written in Macromedia Flash.

There's a forum at the site, and I'd love any comments, bug reports,
suggestions, etc. y'all might have.
10 answers Last reply
More about flash roguelike game tombs
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    The URL: http://www.thetombs.com/

    It looks quite polished, viewed from outside the front door.
    Unfortunately I can't try it because of its dependency on a numeric
    keypad.

    Suggestion: rogue-style vi-keys (hjklyubn) or arrow keys.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Martin Woodard wrote:
    > I've just finish and posted 0.9.196, the first good stable, playable
    > version of my pet project, The Tombs. It's claim to fame, if you can
    > call it that, is that it's written in Macromedia Flash.

    Its claim to infamy. Note lack of "'" in "its" and correct spelling of
    "infamy". Please brush up on your English spelling and grammar.

    HTH.

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    You noticed the "its" error, but neglected to mention that I
    completely forgot to include the URL? ^_^

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:52:46 -0400, Twisted One
    <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

    >Its claim to infamy. Note lack of "'" in "its" and correct spelling of
    >"infamy". Please brush up on your English spelling and grammar.
    >
    >HTH.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On 13 Apr 2005 22:06:43 -0700, "Ben Goetter" <ben.goetter@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The URL: http://www.thetombs.com/
    >
    >It looks quite polished, viewed from outside the front door.
    >Unfortunately I can't try it because of its dependency on a numeric
    >keypad.
    >
    >Suggestion: rogue-style vi-keys (hjklyubn) or arrow keys.

    Yeah, they're going into one of the next couple versions (probably
    will take me a day or two). Frankly, I was surprised to see how many
    people had a problem with the numpad controls; I knew it would need an
    alternate set of keys eventually (I developed the game on a laptop at
    one point), but I didn't expect to get so many complaints about it
    within a day of going live with this version.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:52:46 -0400, Twisted One
    <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

    >Martin Woodard wrote:
    >> I've just finish and posted 0.9.196, the first good stable, playable
    >> version of my pet project, The Tombs. It's claim to fame, if you can
    >> call it that, is that it's written in Macromedia Flash.
    >
    >Its claim to infamy. Note lack of "'" in "its" and correct spelling of
    >"infamy". Please brush up on your English spelling and grammar.

    If you expect a perfect English from a Usenet post, you're probably in
    the wrong place.

    --
    |a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
    | m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
    | k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
    `-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Martin Woodard wrote:
    > You noticed the "its" error, but neglected to mention that I
    > completely forgot to include the URL? ^_^

    URL? Nobody posts URLs on usenet anymore. Everyone just says something
    vague and expects interested persons to google for it, although there's
    nothing in the post useful in constructing a narrow enough query, so six
    zillion irrelevant search results have to be sifted through to find the
    correct result -- if you can even tell which result is the relevant one
    at all, that is. I thought you were just engaging in this standard
    usenet practise of making everyone duplicate your research/find your
    site instead of saving the duplication of work. :)

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:

    > nothing in the post useful in constructing a narrow enough query

    Here's a Googlewhack (one hit). Is that narrow enough? :-)

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+Tombs%22+0.9.196>

    sherm--

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Martin Woodard wrote:
    >> You noticed the "its" error, but neglected to mention that I
    >> completely forgot to include the URL? ^_^
    >
    > [...]
    > ...although there's nothing in the post useful in constructing a
    > narrow enough query, so six zillion irrelevant search results...
    > [...]

    My first try: 'tombs + flash + roguelike' and all I need was on top.
    What you're talking about, Klugscheisser?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:39:06 -0700, Martin Woodard wrote:

    > I've just finish and posted 0.9.196, the first good stable, playable
    > version of my pet project, The Tombs. It's claim to fame, if you can
    > call it that, is that it's written in Macromedia Flash.
    >
    > There's a forum at the site, and I'd love any comments, bug reports,
    > suggestions, etc. y'all might have.

    Got a character going for a long, long way down. Few points from someone
    who has never made a game, who has no experience on balancing and only
    played The Tomb once:

    I was bored for few dungeon levels, because I found nothing new (same
    old monsters that can't hurt me, no interesting items, no feats/talents
    to get...). I suggest that you make some of the harder monsters appear
    few levels earlier. I'm thinking the ones after Ice Goblins and some
    yellow snakes, maybe half-wolf or something.

    You have no real feat options most of the time. You get the first
    special feat at level 3, the stronger priest ones at 5 IIRC, and then
    just boring "revelation" until lvl 9. At that point, you choose a
    specialization that is of no use until two level later, and even then
    won't get you much options.

    Make the weapon specialization appear earlier and be cheaper. At later
    levels more expensive, more general specialization groups could be
    added: Blades (long and short), Axes and Bashing weapons (axes, clubs,
    hammers), Long weapons (spears, polearms, staves)...
    Also, make the specialization categories only exclude one, not two
    others. +att -> -dam, +dam -> -spd, +spd -> -att, and give the option to
    take advanced version of the first specialization style (more att, spd
    or dam) that would be rule out the second of the two other groups.

    That didn't come out very well. I meant something like this:

    / lvl 2 att
    att
    \ spd

    / lvl 2 dam
    dam
    \ att

    / lvl 2 spd
    spd
    \ dam

    Also, is the weapon specialization (10 + 5) points, IIRC) worth more
    than rising the adjusting the stat (like dexterity/agility) by +15?

    Impious should have a better name. Maybe Heretic or Pagan? Also, it
    shouldn't be possible to first take Impious, then Priest feat. Maybe a
    high-level (10, same as with weapon specializations) feat should be
    added that made you choose yourself a patron god/being. You would get
    one rune from him, and possible permanent +1 to his spells with -1 to
    either his opposite or to all others. Or +2 to him, -2 to opposite, -1
    to others, or some such.

    Medallions should give malus/bonus for X/X/Y -runed spells, e.g.
    Meli/Meli/B. should get malus from amulet of B. and bonus from amulet of
    Meli. (I hope I remembered her name and his name's first letter right.)
    However, Meli/Meli/neutral-towards-Meli spells shouldn't get +2 from
    amulet of Meli.

    That chaos spell with -80 xp is very powerful. And wicked. However, it
    would help to see my experience calculated somewhere. I hadn't realized
    one level is only 100 points or so before I died and saw my exp. count.
    I would have been much more careful with that one then!

    I agree that there are too few items. I only saw one potion, only Stone
    and Straw items, two amulets and maybe 5 runes, and got to dungeon level
    13. My actual level was much lower because I dove down a lot and casted
    certain spell a lot. :D

    It should be possible to identify item's type from the ground, so that I
    don't have to pick up a Longsword to see it is made of Stone.

    There should be some kind of a 'fast travel' command, and some kind of a
    'rest' command. IT is boring to wait for one's hp/mp to come back after
    a battle, and to go through a tunnel. This, coupled with very slow game,
    made me just go 4628462819731973 when surrounded by green snakes and
    wild dogs and bats.

    The game seemed to be quite simple hack-hack-bash against easy enemies
    and quite fast hp/mp regeneration, but the spell system is very
    interesting. It seems that the order the runes are placed in doesn't
    matter. That might be an interesting variation, together with more
    complex 'formulas' square (4 runes), pentagram (5), David's star (two
    triangles placed above each other, one pointing up, other down; 6
    runes)... However, you system is simple to use, easy to learn and
    shouldn't be replaced.

    Janne Joensuu,
    Endoperez
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Sherm Pendley" <spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote in message
    > Twisted One wrote:
    >
    >> nothing in the post useful in constructing a narrow enough query
    >
    > Here's a Googlewhack (one hit). Is that narrow enough? :-)
    >
    > <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+Tombs%22+0.9.196>

    I don't know what you expect; he'll never follow that link.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Flash Games Video Games