Flash Roguelike game: The Tombs

I've just finish and posted 0.9.196, the first good stable, playable
version of my pet project, The Tombs. It's claim to fame, if you can
call it that, is that it's written in Macromedia Flash.

There's a forum at the site, and I'd love any comments, bug reports,
suggestions, etc. y'all might have.

The URL: http://www.thetombs.com/

It looks quite polished, viewed from outside the front door.
Unfortunately I can't try it because of its dependency on a numeric
keypad.

Suggestion: rogue-style vi-keys (hjklyubn) or arrow keys.

Martin Woodard wrote:
> I've just finish and posted 0.9.196, the first good stable, playable
> version of my pet project, The Tombs. It's claim to fame, if you can
> call it that, is that it's written in Macromedia Flash.

Its claim to infamy. Note lack of "'" in "its" and correct spelling of
"infamy". Please brush up on your English spelling and grammar.

HTH.

You noticed the "its" error, but neglected to mention that I
completely forgot to include the URL? ^_^

On 13 Apr 2005 22:06:43 -0700, "Ben Goetter" <ben.goetter@gmail.com>
wrote:

>The URL: http://www.thetombs.com/
>
>It looks quite polished, viewed from outside the front door.
>Unfortunately I can't try it because of its dependency on a numeric
>keypad.
>
>Suggestion: rogue-style vi-keys (hjklyubn) or arrow keys.

Yeah, they're going into one of the next couple versions (probably
will take me a day or two). Frankly, I was surprised to see how many
people had a problem with the numpad controls; I knew it would need an
alternate set of keys eventually (I developed the game on a laptop at
one point), but I didn't expect to get so many complaints about it
within a day of going live with this version.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:52:46 -0400, Twisted One
<twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Martin Woodard wrote:
>> I've just finish and posted 0.9.196, the first good stable, playable
>> version of my pet project, The Tombs. It's claim to fame, if you can
>> call it that, is that it's written in Macromedia Flash.
>
>Its claim to infamy. Note lack of "'" in "its" and correct spelling of
>"infamy". Please brush up on your English spelling and grammar.

If you expect a perfect English from a Usenet post, you're probably in
the wrong place.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

Martin Woodard wrote:
> You noticed the "its" error, but neglected to mention that I
> completely forgot to include the URL? ^_^

URL? Nobody posts URLs on usenet anymore. Everyone just says something
vague and expects interested persons to google for it, although there's
nothing in the post useful in constructing a narrow enough query, so six
zillion irrelevant search results have to be sifted through to find the
correct result -- if you can even tell which result is the relevant one
at all, that is. I thought you were just engaging in this standard
usenet practise of making everyone duplicate your research/find your
site instead of saving the duplication of work. :)

Twisted One wrote:
> Martin Woodard wrote:
>> You noticed the "its" error, but neglected to mention that I
>> completely forgot to include the URL? ^_^
>
> [...]
> ...although there's nothing in the post useful in constructing a
> narrow enough query, so six zillion irrelevant search results...
> [...]

My first try: 'tombs + flash + roguelike' and all I need was on top.
What you're talking about, Klugscheisser?

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:39:06 -0700, Martin Woodard wrote:

> I've just finish and posted 0.9.196, the first good stable, playable
> version of my pet project, The Tombs. It's claim to fame, if you can
> call it that, is that it's written in Macromedia Flash.
>
> There's a forum at the site, and I'd love any comments, bug reports,
> suggestions, etc. y'all might have.

Got a character going for a long, long way down. Few points from someone
who has never made a game, who has no experience on balancing and only
played The Tomb once:

I was bored for few dungeon levels, because I found nothing new (same
old monsters that can't hurt me, no interesting items, no feats/talents
to get...). I suggest that you make some of the harder monsters appear
few levels earlier. I'm thinking the ones after Ice Goblins and some
yellow snakes, maybe half-wolf or something.

You have no real feat options most of the time. You get the first
special feat at level 3, the stronger priest ones at 5 IIRC, and then
just boring "revelation" until lvl 9. At that point, you choose a
specialization that is of no use until two level later, and even then
won't get you much options.

Make the weapon specialization appear earlier and be cheaper. At later
levels more expensive, more general specialization groups could be
added: Blades (long and short), Axes and Bashing weapons (axes, clubs,
hammers), Long weapons (spears, polearms, staves)...
Also, make the specialization categories only exclude one, not two
others. +att -> -dam, +dam -> -spd, +spd -> -att, and give the option to
take advanced version of the first specialization style (more att, spd
or dam) that would be rule out the second of the two other groups.

That didn't come out very well. I meant something like this:

/ lvl 2 att
att
\ spd

/ lvl 2 dam
dam
\ att

/ lvl 2 spd
spd
\ dam

Also, is the weapon specialization (10 + 5) points, IIRC) worth more
than rising the adjusting the stat (like dexterity/agility) by +15?

Impious should have a better name. Maybe Heretic or Pagan? Also, it
shouldn't be possible to first take Impious, then Priest feat. Maybe a
high-level (10, same as with weapon specializations) feat should be
added that made you choose yourself a patron god/being. You would get
one rune from him, and possible permanent +1 to his spells with -1 to
either his opposite or to all others. Or +2 to him, -2 to opposite, -1
to others, or some such.

Medallions should give malus/bonus for X/X/Y -runed spells, e.g.
Meli/Meli/B. should get malus from amulet of B. and bonus from amulet of
Meli. (I hope I remembered her name and his name's first letter right.)
However, Meli/Meli/neutral-towards-Meli spells shouldn't get +2 from
amulet of Meli.

That chaos spell with -80 xp is very powerful. And wicked. However, it
would help to see my experience calculated somewhere. I hadn't realized
one level is only 100 points or so before I died and saw my exp. count.
I would have been much more careful with that one then!

I agree that there are too few items. I only saw one potion, only Stone
and Straw items, two amulets and maybe 5 runes, and got to dungeon level
13. My actual level was much lower because I dove down a lot and casted
certain spell a lot. :D

It should be possible to identify item's type from the ground, so that I
don't have to pick up a Longsword to see it is made of Stone.

There should be some kind of a 'fast travel' command, and some kind of a
'rest' command. IT is boring to wait for one's hp/mp to come back after
a battle, and to go through a tunnel. This, coupled with very slow game,
made me just go 4628462819731973 when surrounded by green snakes and
wild dogs and bats.

The game seemed to be quite simple hack-hack-bash against easy enemies
and quite fast hp/mp regeneration, but the spell system is very
interesting. It seems that the order the runes are placed in doesn't
matter. That might be an interesting variation, together with more
complex 'formulas' square (4 runes), pentagram (5), David's star (two
triangles placed above each other, one pointing up, other down; 6
runes)... However, you system is simple to use, easy to learn and
shouldn't be replaced.

Janne Joensuu,
Endoperez

"Sherm Pendley" <spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote in message
> Twisted One wrote:
>
>> nothing in the post useful in constructing a narrow enough query
>
> Here's a Googlewhack (one hit). Is that narrow enough? :)
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+Tombs%22+0.9.196>

I don't know what you expect; he'll never follow that link.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-