CPU burn in??

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I am in the process of putting together my ne system now. As soon as im done and get brave enough to turn it on I want to know what to do. I remember reading people say CPU burn in and Memory Burn in, what are these and what does it do for you? It sounds like something that should help overall but I don't know. If it is something that should be done, where do I find the programs to do it with and what all do I need to "Burn In"? Everything on this system is new, all retail except the CPU is OEM. Its Athlon 1.2 (266FSB "C")

Someday I will stop asking all the questions!

mousepotato

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2001
If you need to have extra assurance that your chip is not going to fail when you are relying on it to work, burn in can spot chips that are prone to fail. You will know it was prone to fail because you just fried it. At least, you found out right away. But, I'm guessing a few chips that died during burn in, may have been able to live a long life with someone that gives it a little TLC via HSF and doesn't run really extensive apps. (most of us).

G

It all sounds like a waste of time and potentially money.

Don't bother burning in, if you get the ppl you bought the cpu off to install it and the HSF (for $10 or so..) then you have a guarantee against them being able to say YOU fried it, and denying your warranty like they did to me

If they put it in, you will always win... (god that sounds sus)

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...