[crawl] YAVP

I have now avenged my late MfTm that YASD:d in Gehenna. Sort of. The
thing to do would be clearing out Hell, but at the last moment I
realized that it would be extremely stupid to kill off another
character there, so I skipped that. Otherwise I did all branches
(including the Slime Pits, a first for me) except the Tomb, and I
never went to the Abyss.

Transmuters are very powerful - they have a slightly hard start, but
once they get Spider Form they can handle most things in the early
game, and when they reach Blade Hands nothing much can stand in their
way. Merfolk are naturally suited to the role, and swimming around in
water is great fun (and seems to fit the transmuting spirit as well).

This character found some nice armour early on, including both an
elven cloak and elven boots(!). This meant that his stabbing skill
rose nicely. There were also a lot of shops in the dungeon, and book
stores with all the books I wanted.

He was not so lucky with mutations though. After going a bit overboard
with Alter self I had 3 levels of teleportitis, and although I managed
to get both the other teleporting ones (teleport at will and blink) I
didn't seem to be able to get either teleport control or lose the
teleportitis. I did the Elven halls with teleportitis in hope of
finding a =TC, but no luck. No luck with 3 ?Acquirement either.
After a lot more playing around with Alter self I finally managed to
get rid of the teleportitis, went to the Slime Pits, and found an
artifact ring of TC lying around in the final level.

The end game wasn't too bad. Dragons made sure that I shouldn't
overexert myself by carrying too many potions and scrolls (I didn't
use many of them anyway), but no close calls. At one point I even let
an Orb Guardian beat on me to train my Dodging skill with the excess
experience...

Now on to win with a spellcaster.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 23 character file.

ivan the Boxer (Merfolk)
(Level 27 Transmuter)
Experience : 27/1519495
Strength 13 Dexterity 18 Intelligence 19
Hit Points : 242 Magic Points : 41
AC : 17 Evasion : 25 Shield : 0
// With all the buffing spells active I had AC:24 and EV:33
GP : 5805
// bought mostly books

You are on level 1
You worship Makhleb.
Makhleb is exalted by your worship.
// obvious choice for a transmuter. And having a few 1:s around as
// friends is nice too.
You are encumbered.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +8,+8 knife of slicing
// the usual

Armour
f - the +2 cap of Vlad (worn)
s - a +2 pair of elven boots
w - the +6 leather armour of the Lobster (worn)
It affects your dexterity (+2).
H - the +1 pair of gloves "Ohobyquvizxoto"
M - the +5 leather armour of the Eternal Fruit
It insulates you from electricity.
It lets you turn invisible.
It lets you teleport.
P - the +3 leather armour "Rucenyg"
It greatly protects you from cold.
Q - the +0 leather armour of the Saviour
It affects your intelligence (+2).
W - a +2 elven cloak (worn)
// a lot of nice armour

Magical devices
b - a wand of digging (10)
t - a wand of fire (8)
D - a wand of cold (12)
K - a wand of hasting (18)
O - a wand of teleportation (13)
U - a wand of healing (9)
// my backup for Zot. I mostly used the fire and cold wands though,
// I don't think I used the healing wand even once.

Comestibles
g - 13 royal jellies
// I had 45 meat rations, 67 bread rations, and some other food in the
stash.

Scrolls
r - 3 scrolls of detect curse
u - 3 scrolls of teleportation
A - a scroll of remove curse
N - 3 scrolls of blinking
// didn't use much. I had 6-7 additional ?Blinking in the stash

Jewellery
c - a ring of fire
p - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
q - an uncursed ring of protection from fire (left hand)
x - the ring "C Nim Boben" (magic resistance)
It affects your dexterity (-2).
y - the ring "Yhohysero" (sustain abilities)
It affects your strength (+3).
It protects you from fire.
It speeds your metabolism.
B - the ring of Edecyleklyv (levitation)
It affects your evasion (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (-2).
It greatly speeds your metabolism.
E - the amulet "Plog" (rage)
It affects your AC (+3).
F - the amulet of Sojygicypycuso (warding)
It affects your AC (-4).
It affects your accuracy (+4).
It partially protects you from negative energy.
G - an amulet of the gourmand
I - a +0,+7 ring of slaying
// found early, worn a lot.
J - a +4,+6 ring of slaying
// replaced by this later on.
R - the ring "Pudinix" (teleport control)
It greatly protects you from cold.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
T - the ring of Byjudybisobo (right hand) (sustenance)
It affects your evasion (+4).
It protects you from cold.

Potions
d - 5 potions of heal wounds
e - 4 potions of healing
h - a potion of might
i - a potion of berserk rage
C - 3 potions of cure mutation
// and I used up another 3 trying to get rid of the teleportitis

Books
v - a manual of Unarmed Combat
L - a manual of Unarmed Combat
// found when I had the skill at 25...

Orbs of Power
z - the Orb of Zot
Miscellaneous
j - a slimy rune of Zot
k - a silver rune of Zot
l - a serpentine rune of Zot
m - a decaying rune of Zot
n - 3 demonic runes of Zot
o - the horn of Geryon

You have 7 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 18 Fighting
- Level 1 Short Blades
// from hitting monsters with the knife after butchering
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 24 Dodging
+ Level 10 Stealth
+ Level 13 Stabbing
+ Level 3 Traps & Doors
* Level 27 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 13 Spellcasting
+ Level 13 Enchantments
- Level 16 Transmigration
+ Level 15 Divinations
+ Level 9 Ice Magic
// excess experience from Zot went to Ozucobu's Armour
- Level 1 Earth Magic
- Level 2 Poison Magic
+ Level 12 Invocations
+ Level 3 Evocations

You have 7 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Dig Earth/Transmigration Great 4
b - Silence Air/Enchantment Great 3
// for the Elven Halls
c - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Great 4
d - Blade Hands Transmigration Excellent 5
//mainstay
e - Detect Creatures Divination Excellent 2
f - Detect Traps Divination Excellent 2
g - Confusing Touch Enchantment Excellent 1
// very nice for an unarmed fighter
h - Forescry Divination Excellent 5
i - See Invisible Enchantment/Divination Excellent 4
// never found a ring
j - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
k - Ozocubu's Armour Ice/Enchantment Excellent 3
t - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Excellent 3
u - Alter Self Transmigration Very Good 7

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You are protected by plates of bone (AC + 3, dex - 2).
You are immune to electric shocks.
Your natural rate of healing is unusually fast.
You can teleport at will.
You can translocate small distances instantaneously.
Your muscles are flexible (Dex +1), but weak (Str -1).
You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
You tend to lose your temper in combat.
// same as the YASD MfTm. Nice if you find a "ResistSlowing.
Your vision is a little blurry.
// Orb of fire, Zot 5
You have hooves in place of feet.
// ditto, probably a plus with Unarmed level 27
You are partially covered in black scales (AC + 1).

keith <johndoe9485@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<opspf3kviia64ohw@amd2.mshome.net>...

> Nice, how did you deal with spellcasters (priests, ...) and centaurs as
> well as manticores...?

In the beginning I used Evaporate, but later on, high stealth from the
elven boots and cloak meant that I could sneak up on them, and once
you're in melee range they can't do very much. Spider form is nice for
this - you move slightly faster than usual which means you are exposed
for a shorter time, and poisonous attacks means that you can kill
priests and wizards even when they are running away from you.

I didn't get Repel missiles until late, but I had Detect Creatures
pretty early, and that together with the aforementioned stealth meant
that I didn't have too much trouble with centaurs and yaktaurs. High
evasion and good hitpoints helped too.

Makhleb's friends can provide distraction too if you need to.

/Johan