[Crawl] YAVP: Jerm the Ogre-Mage Transmuter

If Erik Piper's to be trusted, first YAVP with an Ogre-Mage (this is what
prompted me to try it). Also, my first with a transmuter (which is I guess
supposed to be a powerful class, but I find them to be a major PITA). This is
more proof of the law of finite probability than any testament to my skill, as
if you start enough OmTm, one of them's bound to win.

And I started a bunch, let me tell ya. Got I think four to the Lair, with two
of those dying stupidly (Oh, SO studidly!) in a row - the first, starved to
death coming out of a berserk; the second somehow got confused in the Elven
Halls standing next to some deep water, but wasn't really paying attention,
and... But I don't want to dwell on my failures. First, a bug(?):

You see here a rotting hill giant corpse.
Remove which piece of jewellery?
You remove your amulet of resist slowing.
Put on which piece of jewellery?
B - an amulet of the gourmand (around neck)
Switching to a butchering implement.
u - the +3,+2 knife of Ubojojmnbuqev (weapon)
Butcher a rotting hill giant corpse?
You start hacking away.
You finish chopping the corpse into pieces.
You switch back to your bare hands.
Eat one of 5 chunks of hill giant flesh?
There is something wrong with this meat.
You feel ill.
Remove which piece of jewellery?
You aren't wearing that.
Put on which piece of jewellery?
You've already put that on!
You see here 4 chunks of hill giant flesh.

So somehow it unrotted while I was butchering.

Other oddity: bottom level of the Snake Pit. I did nothing to the terrain
here:

#.####).######...........
#....)[..................
#######)######...........
#####.)..#####...........
######.....).[[...............
###....#...z.z.................#
##......#......).)..............#
#..}....#....#.....#............#
#.......#........................
##.......##..#........##.....###.#
#.....#...##....f...###......###.#
#..........#.........#...)....##.#
#........#....#........#......##..
#...............#............)####
##..#................#.....))#%# #
#...##.....................)##.# #
#.).##......................##.# #
#...##.......#..............##.# #
#...##.....................##..#
##..##.....)..............###.##
#...###............).)...##..#
#....####................##..#

The upper-right wall's missing. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

There is a stone staircase leading upwards here.
Entering...
You fly upwards.
There is a stone staircase leading upwards here.

Jerm the Master (Ogre-Mage)
(Level 27 Transmuter)

Play time: 14:59:02 Number of turns: 136071

//I spent a minute-and-a-half dumping (snicker) and organizing. Had I noticed,
I would've gone for exactly 15 hours. But oh well.

Experience : 27/1388449
Strength 19 Dexterity 20 Intelligence 18

//Had three decks of wonder and an unvisited labyrinth, which I burned through
trying to get acquirements for a Necronomicon. Didn't get one, but on the whole
I think I picked up 5 or 6 points of abilities. So that was nice.

I would've rather had the Necronomicon.

Hit Points : 232

//Pretty wicked, for 16 Fighting and no robustness.

Magic Points : 40/43
AC : 18 Evasion : 28 Shield : 0
GP : 6118

You are on level 1.
You worship Xom.

//About that: so I tried a bunch of different OmTr. I wasn't really sure what a
good god choice for a Tm was. Tried Elyvilon first, but food was a fairly big
problem without Invoking things (there's probably no way to burn through food
more quickly or inconveniently than an OmTm: your food use is high to begin
with, you're fighting all the time, you're neither carnivorous nor able to eat
rotten meat, and you're casting spells a lot, but without a high INT or
Spellcasting). I couldn't spare the calories to train Invocations. At one
point, I failed on a moderate healing three times in a row and went down to a
Spiny Frog. That put me off Elyvilon. Not to mention the ban on Fulsome
Distillation.

So went for Kikubudaqaa (spelling is approximate) next, thinking a Necronomicon
would be nice, and I'd learn Necromutation, which would be cool. There wasn't
really any problem with Kikkuboodakwa, except that he seems more geared to
straight Necromancers than anybody else. Also, having played several games in a
row as an Elyvilonist, I was really enjoying not having to pray.

Okawaru didn't really grant any powers that I couldn't with a little work supply
myself, and most of his gifts would be unusable. Nemelex is a chore, and also
taints your honor. So, Xom. Almost immediately this game he gave me quick
running, blurry vision, and genetic stability; first potion of mutation gave
another level of genetic stability. So the locked-in running was a pretty sweet
plum, but it meant that for the rest of the game, Xom would suffuse me with
distortional energy, which usually did nothing but set my HPs at some dangerous
fraction of full.

So anyway, stockpiled my !CM, and quaffed 'em right before going to Zot, since I
'd picked up a pretty ugly set in Hell, despite the genetic stability and a "RM
(I was hasting and extending a lot. A way lot.) The list below is entirely
unrepresentative of what I had during most of the game: as soon as I got to
Zot:5, I hasted, forescried, flew, swifted, deflect-missiled, blade-handed and
then Extended to Orb, then the exit, occasionally controlling teleports. My
glow meter turned red - I didn't know it could turn red!

You are not hungry.

Souvenirs:

Inventory:
Hand weapons
j - a +8,+3 quick blade
// From Hell, I think?

Xom also dropped, pretty early, a very nifty artifact executioner's axe, which I
would've used if I weren't a transmuter, and which I would've carried along if
it weren't so heavy. I guess I could've dropped it by the upstairs on DL1
before going to Zot, but really, carrying a bunch of souvenirs into Zot for the
end of game character dump seemed like hubris enough.

Armour
a - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
u - a +1 dragon armour (worn)
x - a +2 elven cap (worn)
R - a +0 robe of the Archmagi
X - a +4 elven robe of the Archmagi

Just included these because I found two of them. Not a single robe of
resistance, and didn't get my dragon armor till Tartarus (the second-to-last
Hell I did), but I found two robes of the Archmagi. There was a Swamp Dragon in
the Lair, the only dragon before Zot to drop a hide (well, I didn't check the
ones in the Swamp). I started wearing that once I decided that I was going to
learn Necromutation and go for all the runes. Conradian time-shift! I did not
learn Necromutation and did not get all the runes. More on this later.

Anyway, I'd wear one of the robes to cast Identify at my stash, but that's about
it.

Magical devices

w - a wand of healing (9)
E - a wand of hasting (21)
H - a wand of hasting
N - a wand of healing (6)

Actually had 4 wands of healing, total. First one was in a shop on DL 4 or 5 -
with no charges. Cost 3 gold. Bought it and charged it. Never really used
wands aside from the healing and haste ones. Didn't find teleportation, which
would've been nice.

Jewellery
k - a ring of wizardry
m - a ring of regeneration
n - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
o - a ring of sustenance
p - an amulet of resist mutation
q - a ring of teleport control (left hand)
t - the ring of Plasticity
This ring provides protection from heat and fire.
It protects you from cold.
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from poison.

// Bottom level of the Vaults. Pretty nice; wore it for awhile.

v - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
y - a ring of see invisible
A - an amulet of the gourmand
B - the amulet of Idujyk Ses
This amulet protects the armour and weaponry of its wearer from corrosion
caused by acids, although not infallibly so.
It protects you from fire.
It protects you from cold.
It insulates you from electricity.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It makes you much more stealthy.

// Tomb. F'ing awesome. I only wish it'd been Resist Slowing or Conservation.

C - an amulet of conservation
F - a ring of ice

// Found this, the first one, on Zot:5. So good thing I wasn't an Ice
Elementalist.

M - a +0,+6 ring of slaying

// Found towards the bottom of the Lair. I don't think it came off my finger
until I put on =TC to beat my escape.

P - the ring of Responsibility (right hand)
This ring increases or decreases the physical strength of its wearer, to a
degree dependent on its power.
It affects your strength (+3).
It affects your evasion (+6).
It affects your accuracy (+4).
It protects you from fire.
It lets you blink.

// Vaults again, I think? Late, anyway. Also f'ing awesome.

Y - the ring of the Lobster
This ring increases or decreases the dexterity of its wearer, depending on
the degree to which it has been enchanted.
It affects your dexterity (-2).
It protects you from poison.
It makes you much more stealthy.

// My earliest source of poison resistance (never actually found the ring).
Found somewhere in the Lair, and wore until I decided to make my Swamp Dragon
armor, which I think was after the Elven Halls and before the Hive Vaults.

Books
b - a manual of Translocations
Magical staves
Z - a staff of energy
Orbs of Power
c - the Orb of Zot
Miscellaneous

// (reordering the runes for narrative's sake; I notice that I seem to have
misplaced the decaying one. Rats.)

V - a golden rune of Zot

// So here's what happened. I found my first scroll of acquirement fairly late,
after I was done with the Swamp, Lair, and Snake Pit. I had, at that point, no
spellbooks of note, so I used it on a book. Got Transfigurations or Morphology
or whatever. Anyway, I had planned on learning Statue Form and then maybe
Shatter, but had no free spell levels and no means of forgetting at the time.
Before these things became available, found a book of Enchantments, and decided
Deflect Missiles and air magic would be better than Statue Form and earth, so I'
d go for a Necronomicon.

A bookstore had books of Necromancy and Unlife, which after clearing the Mines I
eagerly purchased. Every spare point of experience got dumped into Necromancy,
to get it past Transmigrations (which had been at 14). Then, a bunch of stuff
happened before I found my second scroll of acquirement: I cleared the Halls,
the first four levels of the Vaults, the Crypt... still nothing. Because I was
dumping every spare point of experience into Necromancy, my other skills were
woefully underpowered: had a bitch of a time in the Vaults, couldn't actually
cast Deflect Missiles reliably without wielding a staff of Wizardry (which was
half of the damn point of doing this whole thing) until prepping to go to Hell.
My Unarmed Combat was probably ~15, and my Armor skill obviously never got up
very high.

So I've got 4 unexplored dungeon levels left, no equipment to speak of, every
Stone Giant's an adventure, and I'm terrified of trying Zot with such a wimp.
And I've got my heart set on Necromutation at this point - it's my obsession.
With nothing left to do but the Hells, the Tomb, Pandemonium or the Slime Pits,
I finish off the dungeon, with my ass being kicked left-and-right by ordinary
yaktaurs. On DL:27, next to the stairs, finally, is my second (and
second-to-last) scroll of acquirement.

(the following is a dramatization, but pretty close to reality)

"Something appears at your feet!
r - a papyrus book
Read which item?
THE BOOK OF DEATH"
ARGH! Forgot about the book of Death!

Not that it matters, apparently. From here out, dumped experience into Air to
get Deflect Missiles up to the point where it was "good" with Blade Hands on.
Still, Necromancy stayed ahead of my other spell skills until very late, and
despite that, my next acquirement, and 6 or so from those decks of wonder,
yielded nothing. I did, however, get three books of Stalking. Outrageous.

So anyway, I was angry. And, being pretty wimpy, had the special courage of
those without hope. I'd wanted Necromutation. But then I said, listen, Jerm
the Ogre-Mage Transmuter. Yeah, you wanted to get Torment resistance before you
did the Tomb and got all the Runes. And that's a good idea - you really shouldn
't be tooling around Pandemonium or Hell without some way to resist Torment, or
at least the Tomb of Doroklohe. But you don't have those spells. But you do
have air magic high enough to cast Deflect Missiles at "Good" while Blade Hands
is on, which is damn sure high enough to cast Silence. So why not grow a pair
and do the Tomb the way a man would do the Tomb, and get to it? Jerm prayed on
it, Xom's silence was encouraging, so that's what he did.

And that's what I did. It's been awhile since I've done the Tomb with a
non-undead fighter. Really, not that big of a deal. I think I ended up needing
to eat two royal jellies to combat stat loss. Closest call was actually from
Xom draining my strength, down to 4. Got a pretty nice haul of loot, too.

h - a bone rune
l - an icy rune
K - an obsidian rune
U - an iron rune of Zot

// The problem with growing a pair is that it turns you into a slavering idiot.
Got down to 16 HPs while berserk in Gehenna from the Serpent of Hell, which was
not in its usual place. Aside from that, just hugged the stairs and kept my
haste, swiftness, flying, and blade hands extended. Not so good for the
mutation list, but I think this is the first time I've cleared the Hells without
a ghoul or mummy. Did Cocytus last, which had me the most worried, since it's
so open, and Ice Fiends are trouble. Got into a spot of trouble killing Antaeus
and his 1s, but Xom came through in a big way by opening a gate. The
distraction allowed me to heal up, and kill.

Q - a silver rune of Zot
T - a serpentine rune

You have 4 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 16 Fighting
+ Level 1 Throwing
+ Level 7 Armour
+ Level 13 Dodging
+ Level 4 Stealth
+ Level 4 Stabbing
+ Level 4 Traps & Doors
+ Level 26 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 15 Spellcasting
+ Level 1 Conjurations
+ Level 14 Enchantments
+ Level 15 Necromancy
+ Level 9 Translocations
+ Level 14 Transmigration
+ Level 9 Divinations
+ Level 11 Air Magic
+ Level 3 Earth Magic
+ Level 2 Poison Magic
+ Level 5 Evocations

You have 3 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
b - Fly Air/Enchantment Excellent 4
c - Extension Enchantment Great 5
d - Blade Hands Transmigration Great 5
e - Dig Earth/Transmigration Great 4
f - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Very Good 4
g - Identify Divination Fair 6
h - Controlled Blink Translocation Great 4
i - Detect Traps Divination Excellent 2
l - Deflect Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good 6
n - Silence Air/Enchantment Excellent 3
o - Forescry Divination Very Good 5
p - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Excellent 3

Mutations & Other Weirdness
Your system is immune to poisons.
You digest meat inefficiently.
Your flesh is cold resistant.
You are weak (Str -1).
You are clumsy (Dex -1).
Space frequently distorts in your vicinity.
You cover the ground quickly.
You occasionally forget where you are.
You have hooves in place of feet.
You are partially covered in blue scales (AC + 1).

// I think when I went into Zot I had poison resistance, quick running, and
digest meat inefficiently. So the rest is fire orbs, glowing, and maybe Xom, if
he stepped in without my noticing.

1392329 Jerm the Master (level 27, 232/232 HPs)
Began as an Ogre-Mage Transmuter on Apr 16, 2005.
Was a Favourite Plaything of Xom.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 7 runes (of 7 types) on Apr 18, 2005!
The game lasted 15:00:30 (136072 turns).

// Good for 11th place on my list. Didn't make Level 27 until the very room the
Orb was in. I kinda would've liked to go up at 26, but too bad, I guess.

Vanquished Creatures
Most killed: Orcs (210), Killer Bees (204).

Congratulations!

Jeremey Wilson wrote:

[the law of finite probability]
> if you start enough OmTm, one of them's bound to win.

You may have stolen a bit of that finite probability from me. I must
have killed off a good three dozen back in the day.

> Play time: 14:59:02 Number of turns: 136071
>
> //I spent a minute-and-a-half dumping (snicker) and organizing.

Heh. I'm an obsessive gather-and-dumper as well, and if I ever post a
YAVP, my play time will show it.

> //Had three decks of wonder and an unvisited labyrinth, which I
burned
> through trying to get acquirements for a Necronomicon. Didn't get
one, but
> on the whole I think I picked up 5 or 6 points of abilities. So that
was
> nice.

> I would've rather had the Necronomicon.

:))

> AC : 18 Evasion : 28 Shield : 0

That's some awesome evasion, and I see you have pretty good evasion for
an Ogre Mage as well. Must've been due to the longer fights caused by
the lower attack skills caused by the quest for the Necronomicon.

> GP : 6118
>
> You are on level 1.
> You worship Xom.

[much further down:] So why not grow a pair and [do the Tomb]...

To me, anyone playing a Xom-worshipping Ogre Mage has already grown a
pair from the beginning, and any supplementary pair-growing after that
is just gravy. :)

I mean, it's not that he doesn't do a bunch of cool stuff for you. He
does. It's just that in a game with so many random, sudden threats
already, I find Xom's sudden mini-challenges to be the straw that
breaks the donkey's back, unless I have a solid combo in the first
place or I'm looking for some adrenaline-packed entertainment.

At least you never had to fight a weapon of yours meaner than a butcher
knife. :)

[How I ended up choosing Xom]
> [satiation problems and more] put me off Elyvilon. Not to mention
the ban on
> Fulsome Distillation.

Heh. Yeah. A less shaky race could probably swallow it, but...
FD/Evaporate are really useful for a beginning transmuter. (Ironically,
in the midgame, Evaporate is a really useful spell for an Elyvilonite,
as it allows you, within the bounds of how many detrimental potions you
can find in the wild, to cast Mephitic Cloud without casting Mephitic
Cloud.)

A funky side benefit of FD that I always like is the ability to take a
doggy bag home from a mutagenic lunch. Not so important for a Xomite,
though.

> Xom also dropped, pretty early, a very nifty artifact executioner's
axe...

Cool... Xom sounds like a possibility for the non-shapeshifting
transmuter I've been vaguely considering for some undefined point in
the future.

> Armour
> a - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
> u - a +1 dragon armour (worn)
> x - a +2 elven cap (worn)
> R - a +0 robe of the Archmagi
> X - a +4 elven robe of the Archmagi

Looks like pretty bad luck with da scrolls of enchant armour...

> V - a golden rune of Zot

Congratulations squared! I wish I'd've YAVP'ed with my Troglodyte who
did the Tombs, because the more YAVPs out there breaking the "undead
and summoners only" myth, the better. Well, I'll try to at least chip
in with an Elyvilonite. :)

> On DL:27, next to the stairs, finally, is my second (and
> second-to-last) scroll of acquirement.
>
> (the following is a dramatization, but pretty close to reality)
>
> "Something appears at your feet!
> r - a papyrus book
> Read which item?
> THE BOOK OF DEATH"

So tragic. Because...

[begin quoting acquirement code]
case SK_NECROMANCY:
if (!you.had_book[BOOK_NECROMANCY])
type_wanted = BOOK_NECROMANCY;
else if (!you.had_book[BOOK_DEATH])
type_wanted = BOOK_DEATH;
else if (!you.had_book[BOOK_UNLIFE])
type_wanted = BOOK_UNLIFE;

// now a Kikubaaqudgha special -- bwr
// else if (!you.had_book[BOOK_NECRONOMICON])
// type_wanted = BOOK_NECRONOMICON;
break;
[/end quoting acquirement code]

That's why you started getting books at random (Stalkingmania
random...) after you ran out of undiscovered Necro books.

> ...[in Hell I] just hugged the stairs and kept my
> haste, swiftness, flying, and blade hands extended.

Sounds like you played to an OM's (few) strengths. :)

> + Level 7 Armour

Sweet bejeezus. With an Ogre Mage, of all things.

> + Level 1 Conjurations

Heh. Most of my fighter-mages end of rolling in the Conjurations, like
it or not. Then again, most of my fighter mages aren't struggling with
such severe XP dilution as this guy.

> Your Spells Type Success
Level
> a - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Excellent
2
> b - Fly Air/Enchantment Excellent
4
> c - Extension Enchantment Great
5
> d - Blade Hands Transmigration Great
5
> h - Controlled Blink Translocation Great
4
> l - Deflect Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good
6
> n - Silence Air/Enchantment Excellent
3
> o - Forescry Divination Very Good
5

If Crawl were the Olympics, either Jerm would either be in jail or he
would have a very good liar for a doctor.

> e - Dig Earth/Transmigration Great
4

Used a lot tactically?

> f - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Very Good
4

a.k.a. Hell's Highway :)

Cheers,

Erik

"Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<%HV8e.2425$xA5.257@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...

> If Erik Piper's to be trusted, first YAVP with an Ogre-Mage (this is what
> prompted me to try it). Also, my first with a transmuter (which is I guess
> supposed to be a powerful class, but I find them to be a major PITA). This is
> more proof of the law of finite probability than any testament to my skill, as
> if you start enough OmTm, one of them's bound to win.

....and clear out the whole dungeon and Hell too? You're being too
modest. Congratulations!

Transmuters seem to be popular these days. :)
The thing about transmuters is that you have to pick a race that's
good at unarmed combat to really benefit, and preferably dodging too.
In my mind there's three races that are really suited to transmuting:
Merfolk, sludge elves and spriggans (the latter make up their
fragility with their speed. Draconians might be good too, but I
haven't played them enough to really say anything about it.

> //Had three decks of wonder and an unvisited labyrinth, which I burned through
> trying to get acquirements for a Necronomicon. Didn't get one, but on the whole
> I think I picked up 5 or 6 points of abilities. So that was nice.
>
> I would've rather had the Necronomicon.

Sounds very Lovecraftian. :)

> Hit Points : 232
>
> //Pretty wicked, for 16 Fighting and no robustness.

Having that many HP is a nice buffer, especially when you're going in
hand to hand with the creatures in Zot.

> You worship Xom.
>
> Okawaru didn't really grant any powers that I couldn't with a little work supply
> myself, and most of his gifts would be unusable. Nemelex is a chore, and also
> taints your honor. So, Xom. Almost immediately this game he gave me quick
> running, blurry vision, and genetic stability; first potion of mutation gave
> another level of genetic stability. So the locked-in running was a pretty sweet
> plum, but it meant that for the rest of the game, Xom would suffuse me with
> distortional energy, which usually did nothing but set my HPs at some dangerous
> fraction of full.

I've found Makhleb a good choice for transmuters. The long range
attacks are nice (if somewhat unreliable, especially M's Greater
Destruction) and I've found that having some 1:s around for company is
quite nice.

> R - a +0 robe of the Archmagi
> X - a +4 elven robe of the Archmagi

> Anyway, I'd wear one of the robes to cast Identify at my stash, but that's about
> it.

They're probably nice for that sort of thing, and for when you hit
level 27 as a spellcaster, but otherwise it's hard to not to think of
the "lost" experience, IME.

> M - a +0,+6 ring of slaying
>
> // Found towards the bottom of the Lair. I don't think it came off my finger
> until I put on =TC to beat my escape.

Do you think it does big enough difference in the end, when you have
unarmed combat at 26 or 27 and Blade hands? My experience was that
most things went down easily enough, and prefered to have another ring
slot available.

/Johan

"Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<%HV8e.2425$xA5.257@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...

> If Erik Piper's to be trusted, first YAVP with an Ogre-Mage (this is what
> prompted me to try it). Also, my first with a transmuter (which is I guess
> supposed to be a powerful class, but I find them to be a major PITA). This is
> more proof of the law of finite probability than any testament to my skill, as
> if you start enough OmTm, one of them's bound to win.

....and clear out the whole dungeon and Hell too? I think you're being
too modest. Congratulations anyway!

Transmuters seem to be popular these days. :)
The thing about transmuters is that you have to pick a race that's
good at unarmed combat to really benefit, and preferably dodging too.
In my mind there's three races that are really suited to transmuting:
Merfolk, sludge elves and spriggans (the latter make up their
fragility with their speed. Draconians might be good too, but I
haven't played them enough to really say anything about it.

> //Had three decks of wonder and an unvisited labyrinth, which I burned through
> trying to get acquirements for a Necronomicon. Didn't get one, but on the whole
> I think I picked up 5 or 6 points of abilities. So that was nice.
>
> I would've rather had the Necronomicon.

Sounds very Lovecraftian. :)

> Hit Points : 232
>
> //Pretty wicked, for 16 Fighting and no robustness.

Having that many HP is a nice buffer, especially when you're going in
hand to hand with the creatures in Zot.

> You worship Xom.
>
> Okawaru didn't really grant any powers that I couldn't with a little work supply
> myself, and most of his gifts would be unusable. Nemelex is a chore, and also
> taints your honor. So, Xom. Almost immediately this game he gave me quick
> running, blurry vision, and genetic stability; first potion of mutation gave
> another level of genetic stability. So the locked-in running was a pretty sweet
> plum, but it meant that for the rest of the game, Xom would suffuse me with
> distortional energy, which usually did nothing but set my HPs at some dangerous
> fraction of full.

I've found Makhleb a good choice for transmuters. The long range
attacks are nice (if somewhat unreliable, especially M's Greater
Destruction) and I've found that having some 1:s around for company is
quite nice.

> R - a +0 robe of the Archmagi
> X - a +4 elven robe of the Archmagi

> Anyway, I'd wear one of the robes to cast Identify at my stash, but that's about
> it.

They're probably nice for that sort of thing, and for when you hit
level 27 as a spellcaster, but otherwise it's hard to not to think of
the "lost" experience, IME.

> M - a +0,+6 ring of slaying
>
> // Found towards the bottom of the Lair. I don't think it came off my finger
> until I put on =TC to beat my escape.

Do you think it does big enough difference in the end, when you have
unarmed combat at 26 or 27 and Blade hands? My experience was that
most things went down easily enough, and prefered to have another ring
slot available.

/Johan

Johan Strandell wrote:
[snip]

Why did I receive two copies of this thing? And why did Thunderbird
render one of them in a bigger font?

Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message news:<hfKdnYUQxqsg7fvfRVn-vg@rogers.com>...
> Johan Strandell wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Why did I receive two copies of this thing? And why did Thunderbird
> render one of them in a bigger font?

Because Google messed up sending them (sorry for that). As for why one
was in a bigger font, no idea. Google just does plain text AFAIK (at
least the old version, which is what I'm using).

/Johan

johan.strandell@gmail.com (Johan Strandell) wrote:
>Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message news:<hfKdnYUQxqsg7fvfRVn-vg@rogers.com>...
>> Johan Strandell wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Why did I receive two copies of this thing? And why did Thunderbird
>> render one of them in a bigger font?
>
>Because Google messed up sending them (sorry for that). As for why one
>was in a bigger font, no idea. Google just does plain text AFAIK (at
>least the old version, which is what I'm using).

One of them has character set "Big5" (which should only be used for
Chinese IIRC, and isn't really Usenet friendly anyway), the other in
something more sensible for a European language. Thunderbird uses
different fonts depending on the character encoding; at a guess the
font specified for Big5 has larger Latin characters than the font
specified for the more sanely-chosen encoding.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
Everyone expected the Bavarian Inquisition.

"Johan Strandell" <johan.strandell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I've found Makhleb a good choice for transmuters. The long range
> attacks are nice (if somewhat unreliable, especially M's Greater
> Destruction) and I've found that having some 1:s around for company is
> quite nice.

I guess I figured I could learn conjurations if I needed it. Having the 1s
around would've been nice, though. Xom gave me a lot of 3s, though, which are
like almost quadruple a 1.

> > M - a +0,+6 ring of slaying
> >
> > // Found towards the bottom of the Lair. I don't think it came off my
finger
> > until I put on =TC to beat my escape.
>
> Do you think it does big enough difference in the end, when you have
> unarmed combat at 26 or 27 and Blade hands? My experience was that
> most things went down easily enough, and prefered to have another ring
> slot available.

I don't understand the combat code, so I don't know if my experiences just sort
of grew to fit my expectations or what, but yeah, I thought it was noticeable.
Definitely noticeable when Blade Hands wasn't on.

--
Jeremey

"Erik Piper" <erik@sky.cz> wrote in message
> Congratulations!

> > AC : 18 Evasion : 28 Shield : 0
>
> That's some awesome evasion, and I see you have pretty good evasion for
> an Ogre Mage as well. Must've been due to the longer fights caused by
> the lower attack skills caused by the quest for the Necronomicon.

More due to Forescry and +6 from a ring.

> > GP : 6118
> >
> > You are on level 1.
> > You worship Xom.
>
> [much further down:] So why not grow a pair and [do the Tomb]...
>
> To me, anyone playing a Xom-worshipping Ogre Mage has already grown a
> pair from the beginning, and any supplementary pair-growing after that
> is just gravy. :)

I'm not sure how I'd react to supplementary growing a supplementary pair.
"Gravy", I'm not sure I'd call it.

> I mean, it's not that he doesn't do a bunch of cool stuff for you. He
> does. It's just that in a game with so many random, sudden threats
> already, I find Xom's sudden mini-challenges to be the straw that
> breaks the donkey's back, unless I have a solid combo in the first
> place or I'm looking for some adrenaline-packed entertainment.

Underdogs benefit from high-risk/high-reward strategies, I guess.

Xom's a big ol' pussycat. I think I remember my weapon vibrating crazily once.
Which, being unarmed, was not a big deal. If he ever gated in stuff for me to
fight, it was past the point where I'd've needed to worry about it enough to
remember it. Mostly, you get minor favors after you kill something. And those,
except for berserking, are all unambiguously good. The other stuff is very
infrequent, and usually happens during the long stretches when you're not
actually in danger.

I'm going to say, for fighters, Xom is very good. Not Okawaru or Trog good,
probably not Elyvilon or Nemelex good, but good. And you don't have to pray or
worry about piety, which is worth like 50 awesome points as far as I'm
concerned.

> At least you never had to fight a weapon of yours meaner than a butcher
> knife. :)
>
> [How I ended up choosing Xom]
> > [satiation problems and more] put me off Elyvilon. Not to mention
> the ban on
> > Fulsome Distillation.
>
> Heh. Yeah. A less shaky race could probably swallow it, but...
> FD/Evaporate are really useful for a beginning transmuter. (Ironically,
> in the midgame, Evaporate is a really useful spell for an Elyvilonite,
> as it allows you, within the bounds of how many detrimental potions you
> can find in the wild, to cast Mephitic Cloud without casting Mephitic
> Cloud.)

Poison cloud and miasma clouds, even. I did a lot of Evaporating at the bottom
of the Halls. Worked very well.

> A funky side benefit of FD that I always like is the ability to take a
> doggy bag home from a mutagenic lunch. Not so important for a Xomite,
> though.
>
> > Xom also dropped, pretty early, a very nifty artifact executioner's
> axe...
>
> Cool... Xom sounds like a possibility for the non-shapeshifting
> transmuter I've been vaguely considering for some undefined point in
> the future.

Just dig, evaporate, and stone skin, or what? That sounds awful tough.

> > Armour
> > a - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
> > u - a +1 dragon armour (worn)
> > x - a +2 elven cap (worn)
> > R - a +0 robe of the Archmagi
> > X - a +4 elven robe of the Archmagi
>
> Looks like pretty bad luck with da scrolls of enchant armour...

Errm... No, just stashed 'em and forgot. Anyway, it's the base AC that matters,
right?

> > V - a golden rune of Zot
>
> Congratulations squared! I wish I'd've YAVP'ed with my Troglodyte who
> did the Tombs, because the more YAVPs out there breaking the "undead
> and summoners only" myth, the better. Well, I'll try to at least chip
> in with an Elyvilonite. :)

There's a whole lot of horribly myths grown up around the Tomb, and they're
completely unjustified. People are scared, so there are regularly YAVPs where
somebody's got 11 Pandemonium runes and all of the Hells, but says they didn't
have the guts to do the Tomb. The Tomb's way easier than Hell or Pandemonium!

It's pre-mapped, for one, so if you've done it once, you already have an
advantage. Mummies can be Silenced, for another, and demons can't. The death
curses, while bad, aren't usually _that_ bad. And outside of the first visit to
the first level, you should never have to fight out in the open, and should
always be able to drag things a few at a time up stairs.

Use the stairs, always detect traps, cast silence. The Tomb, like Olympic
basketball, rewards solid fundamentals more than overwhelming natural ability.
The Tomb'd be difficult with a conjurer or enchanter or something, but for
somebody with enough ability points that stat drain won't kill them in one go,
and enough wherewithal to memorize silence, the Tomb should be cake. Terrifying
cake, okay, but still, cake.

After the first part of the first level, where you're out in the open. That's
pretty scary no matter what.

[why I should look at acquirement code when I'm trying to get Necronomicons]
> [/end quoting acquirement code]
>
> That's why you started getting books at random (Stalkingmania
> random...) after you ran out of undiscovered Necro books.

Argh! Should've stuck with K--, I guess.

> > + Level 1 Conjurations
>
> Heh. Most of my fighter-mages end of rolling in the Conjurations, like
> it or not. Then again, most of my fighter mages aren't struggling with
> such severe XP dilution as this guy.

Really? I think I picked up that from using Stone Arrow for a little while as a
Jelly killer. I decided pretty quickly it was generally safer to kill things by
bum-rushing them with blade hands than by sniping.

> > e - Dig Earth/Transmigration Great
>
> Used a lot tactically?

Yeah. Just a nice spell to have. Worked especially well with the quick
running: just lure stuff out, do an end-around, and create a corridor.

> > f - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Very Good

> a.k.a. Hell's Highway :)

Never found something granting Sense Surroundings. So that was another reason
to avoid Pandemonium.

--
Jeremey

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>>> Armour
>>> a - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
>>> u - a +1 dragon armour (worn)
>>> x - a +2 elven cap (worn)
>>> R - a +0 robe of the Archmagi
>>> X - a +4 elven robe of the Archmagi
>>
>> Looks like pretty bad luck with da scrolls of enchant armour...
>
> Errm... No, just stashed 'em and forgot. Anyway, it's the base AC that matters,
> right?

Base_AC matters mostly for Armour skill, but anyway you could get another 7
points of AC, by enchanting fully your dragon armour, which would do some
difference to your total AC=18.

--
Loonie