Sign in with
Your question

I need help - can't load windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
January 10, 2013 11:21:08 PM

I have an Hp Mini 110 and had to replace the hard drive

I have the Windows 7 Starter recovery discs but they wouldn't load. I was conviced the discs were bad so I put in Windows 98 recovery discs for a HP Pavillion. It said it formatted the hard drive and partions but then it said you don't have a Pavillion and stopped.

Now the Windows 7 discs do not work - invalid system disk and I assume I have to erase the Windows 98 stuff.
I am working with an external disc drive since the laptop does not have one. I can get to the dos prompt if I put the Windows 98 disc in and skip the windows files. But I can't get anything to work there - tried format c.

I'm not that computer savy and don't know what to do now. HP does not help much when I call them. Windows help said the external drive may not be bootable. Not sure what that means.

I've been messing with this laptop for months now....
Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.
Sandra

More about : load windows

a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 11:34:45 PM

sjham909 said:
I have an Hp Mini 110 and had to replace the hard drive

I have the Windows 7 Starter recovery discs but they wouldn't load. I was conviced the discs were bad so I put in Windows 98 recovery discs for a HP Pavillion. It said it formatted the hard drive and partions but then it said you don't have a Pavillion and stopped.

Now the Windows 7 discs do not work - invalid system disk and I assume I have to erase the Windows 98 stuff.
I am working with an external disc drive since the laptop does not have one. I can get to the dos prompt if I put the Windows 98 disc in and skip the windows files. But I can't get anything to work there - tried format c.

I'm not that computer savy and don't know what to do now. HP does not help much when I call them. Windows help said the external drive may not be bootable. Not sure what that means.

I've been messing with this laptop for months now....
Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.
Sandra

When you attempted to load the Windows 7 Recovery Discs, what happened? Did you get any type of error message or did it simply not boot to the CD/DVD at all?

You may have to enable USB Emulation in the BIOS of the computer but want to see what took place first before going down that route.
January 10, 2013 11:39:09 PM

The drive light would go on and make some noise and then do nothing with a blank screen... Also may have said invalid boot disc too - can't remember. I found on HPs website that there was an exe file to fix the discs not working with a new hard drive, but found it after i messed with windows 98. Now its just invaild system disc with everything.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 11:40:32 PM

take a look at the windows 7 disks. see if the disk is an iso image. if it is try using the microsoft iso to usb to make a bootable usb device.
January 10, 2013 11:44:00 PM

I'm sorry but I am a computer moron.... I would have to say no to ISO image?
Disc says " HP system recovery DVD Windows 7 Starter (EM)" ..... This disk contains 32-bit software..... DVD ROM
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 11:47:46 PM

sjham909 said:
I'm sorry but I am a computer moron.... I would have to say no to ISO image?
Disc says " HP system recovery DVD Windows 7 Starter (EM)" ..... This disk contains 32-bit software..... DVD ROM

Ok let's take this step by step:

1. Put the CD/DVD back into the external drive with the computer turned completely off.
2. As the computer is booting up, at the HP logo, press F12 (which is typically the Boot Options option on HP computers).
3. When it gets to the Boot Options screen, do you see an option for the external CD/DVD drive you are using listed there?
- If yes, Highlight it using the keyboard and wait for something to come up that says "Press Any Key to Boot From CD..."
- If No, post back here and we will see about getting it enabled.
January 10, 2013 11:57:33 PM

F9 - change boot device order
when I press it SATA shows up, then I change to USB
then it says invalid system disk replace disk and then press any key
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 3:25:00 AM

sjham909 said:
F9 - change boot device order
when I press it SATA shows up, then I change to USB
then it says invalid system disk replace disk and then press any key

Hmmm....makes me wonder if the system isn't seeing the drive correctly. What's the full model # of your Mini? I want to take a look at the BIOS and see if it could be because if a BIOS setting or not.

smorizio said:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage...
down load it and run it. let it take the hp windows cd and turn it to a bootable usb stick. then see if the usb stick will boot on your system.

I know most of them can't be converted because they are encoded differently than a typical Windows disc (mainly HPs way of capitalizing on the moment).

January 12, 2013 12:50:23 PM

Its a HP MINI 110-1125NR
!