Sign in with
Your question

"Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown."

Last response: in Windows 7
January 10, 2013 11:37:15 PM

Oh God, where to begin... (I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know where to put it since it involves so many components.)

Before I went to bed last night, I had Windows Updates that needed to be downloaded, but I kept Postponing them. I woke up this morning to find an error that said Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Shortly after, it booted to the desktop and froze. I Ctrl + Alt + Delete and a popup comes up that says:

"Failure to display security and shut down options. - The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL + ALT + DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch."

The next boot up it runs a Disc Check and, from what I can see, came back clean. I attempt to boot into Safe Mode and it repeatedly gets stuck on "Loaded: \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\AtiPcie.sys". I assumed these were corrupt video card drivers so I did a Driver Sweeper and fresh install of my newest drivers -- still freezes after boot. I Googled AtiPcie.sys and a YouTube video came up from a user talking about his same problem, in the end he said the voltage to his DRAM was incorrect, and by setting it to 1.5V the problem permanently cleared up. (How the voltage could change while I was in bed is beyond me.) So I check my BIOS for an option to change my RAM and I see nothing what-so-ever aside from CPU, HDD and USB options.

Finally, I went into msconfig (after Safe Mode finally let me in) and checked Disable All for Services and Startup. Ran flawlessly for 20 minutes (always froze within 90 seconds of boot), I went back in and checked all my Startup programs, still leaving Microsoft services disabled, and another 20 minutes of no freezing.

It's clear at this point that a Windows process/service is causing my freezing. It seems to have happened right after the update as well. How do I go about ruling out which process is causing me this headache? Thanks so much for any and all help.

a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 11:40:32 PM

StrangeDejavu said:
Oh God, where to begin... (I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know where to put it since it involves so many components.)

Before I went to bed last night, I had Windows Updates that needed to be downloaded, but I kept Postponing them. I woke up this morning to find an error that said Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Shortly after, it booted to the desktop and froze. I Ctrl + Alt + Delete and a popup comes up that says:

"Failure to display security and shut down options. - The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL + ALT + DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch."

The next boot up it runs a Disc Check and, from what I can see, came back clean. I attempt to boot into Safe Mode and it repeatedly gets stuck on "Loaded: \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\AtiPcie.sys". I assumed these were corrupt video card drivers so I did a Driver Sweeper and fresh install of my newest drivers -- still freezes after boot. I Googled AtiPcie.sys and a YouTube video came up from a user talking about his same problem, in the end he said the voltage to his DRAM was incorrect, and by setting it to 1.5V the problem permanently cleared up. (How the voltage could change while I was in bed is beyond me.) So I check my BIOS for an option to change my RAM and I see nothing what-so-ever aside from CPU, HDD and USB options.

Finally, I went into msconfig (after Safe Mode finally let me in) and checked Disable All for Services and Startup. Ran flawlessly for 20 minutes (always froze within 90 seconds of boot), I went back in and checked all my Startup programs, still leaving Microsoft services disabled, and another 20 minutes of no freezing.

It's clear at this point that a Windows process/service is causing my freezing. It seems to have happened right after the update as well. How do I go about ruling out which process is causing me this headache? Thanks so much for any and all help.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

The site is really easy to use. You just type in the process or service name and it should find something on it and even tells you if it is needed to be active.

I would recommend running either MalwareBytes Anti-Malware or Super Anti-Spyware or even both because I don't think I've ever seen something come up like you described when you pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del.
m
l
!