[DoomRL] Thermonuclear Bomb bug?

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I've received a report of a crash involving the thermonuclear bomb used to
kill the cyberdaemon.

I haven't experienced it myself, but it involves planting the nuke and
using the phase device to escape at the last second. Even if this doesn't
involve either object, it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Screenshot:

> #················
> #················
> #······· ······
> #······· ····
> #······· ··
> #·······
> #·······
> ########
> Pistola Armor : red armor [4/4] (100%) Phobos Arena
> Health: 106% Exp: 6/69% Weapon: pistol (2d4) [6/6]
> cautious A
>n unhandled exception occurred at 0x004283D3 :
>EAccessViolation : Access violation
> $004283D3 CREATEROUNDDIR, line 77 of dflevel.pas
> $33443338 line 88 of windows.pp
>An unhandled exception occurred at 0x004626CF :
>EAccessViolation : Access violation
> $004626CF GET_CALLER_ADDR, line 1200 of D:/lazarus/source/fpc-1.9/rtl/i386/i
>386.inc
> $0046CA54 DUMP_STACK, line 780 of D:/lazarus/source/fpc-1.9/rtl/inc/system.i
>nc
> $0006FF50
>
>
>D:\games\doomrl-win-097>
28 answers Last reply
More about doomrl thermonuclear bomb
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    > I've received a report of a crash involving the thermonuclear bomb used to
    > kill the cyberdaemon.
    >
    > I haven't experienced it myself, but it involves planting the nuke and
    > using the phase device to escape at the last second. Even if this doesn't
    > involve either object, it's a bug that needs to be fixed.
    >
    > Screenshot:
    >
    >>#················
    >>#················
    >>#······· ······
    >>#······· ····
    >>#······· ··
    >>#·······
    >>#·······
    >>########
    >>Pistola Armor : red armor [4/4] (100%) Phobos Arena
    >>Health: 106% Exp: 6/69% Weapon: pistol (2d4) [6/6]
    >>cautious A
    >>n unhandled exception occurred at 0x004283D3 :
    >>EAccessViolation : Access violation
    >> $004283D3 CREATEROUNDDIR, line 77 of dflevel.pas
    >> $33443338 line 88 of windows.pp
    >>An unhandled exception occurred at 0x004626CF :
    >>EAccessViolation : Access violation
    >> $004626CF GET_CALLER_ADDR, line 1200 of D:/lazarus/source/fpc-1.9/rtl/i386/i
    >>386.inc
    >> $0046CA54 DUMP_STACK, line 780 of D:/lazarus/source/fpc-1.9/rtl/inc/system.i
    >>nc
    >> $0006FF50

    My God, it's actually possible to go out of bounds and shoot yourself in
    the foot in Pascal, even with Mistress Compiler carefully inspecting
    every line of code. Well, I suppose it had to be, unless whoever wrote
    the compiler solved the halting problem. :)

    --
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
    Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
    One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:40:03 -0400, Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Raymond Martineau wrote:

    >>>#················
    >>>#················
    >>>#······· ······
    >>>#······· ····
    >>>#······· ··
    >>>#·······
    >>>#·······
    >>>########
    >>>Pistola Armor : red armor [4/4] (100%) Phobos Arena
    >>>Health: 106% Exp: 6/69% Weapon: pistol (2d4) [6/6]
    >>>cautious A
    >>>n unhandled exception occurred at 0x004283D3 :
    >>>EAccessViolation : Access violation
    >>> $004283D3 CREATEROUNDDIR, line 77 of dflevel.pas
    >>> $33443338 line 88 of windows.pp
    >>>An unhandled exception occurred at 0x004626CF :
    >>>EAccessViolation : Access violation
    >>> $004626CF GET_CALLER_ADDR, line 1200 of D:/lazarus/source/fpc-1.9/rtl/i386/i
    >>>386.inc
    >>> $0046CA54 DUMP_STACK, line 780 of D:/lazarus/source/fpc-1.9/rtl/inc/system.i
    >>>nc
    >>> $0006FF50
    >
    >My God, it's actually possible to go out of bounds and shoot yourself in
    >the foot in Pascal, even with Mistress Compiler carefully inspecting
    >every line of code. Well, I suppose it had to be, unless whoever wrote
    >the compiler solved the halting problem. :)

    It's probably an out-of-bounds exception - you use a variable to access an
    element in an array, and that variable gets assigned a value of 10 which is
    above the maximum of 6.

    This sort of stuff doesn't get detected until run-time.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    > It's probably an out-of-bounds exception - you use a variable to access an
    > element in an array, and that variable gets assigned a value of 10 which is
    > above the maximum of 6.
    >
    > This sort of stuff doesn't get detected until run-time.

    Hrm.
    Still got nothing on C, and C has nothing on things like Lisp and
    Smalltalk. Those implement their own compilers and the like internally,
    and parts of the message-passing systems. That makes some real
    spectacular foot bullets possible, if basic stuff like cdr or
    CompiledMethod get changed, hosing the whole system in many varied ways.

    --
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
    Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
    One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    > I haven't experienced it myself, but it involves planting the nuke and
    > using the phase device to escape at the last second.

    Interesting. But useless. Anyone who survived a Thermonuclear blast in
    DoomRL will tell you that it affects the whole level.

    > Even if this
    > doesn't involve either object, it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

    True. I'll take a look.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "From what I've read, a lot of people believe that GenRogue
    exists and will be released some day" -- Arxenia Xentrophore
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't experienced it myself, but it involves planting the nuke and
    >>using the phase device to escape at the last second.
    >
    > Interesting. But useless. Anyone who survived a Thermonuclear blast in
    > DoomRL will tell you that it affects the whole level.

    So is there an invulnerability globe in the final level? And what
    happens if you type iddqd before the bomb goes off? IIRC you get ~5
    turns of invulnerability before the anti-cheat-protection kicks in.

    Lars
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Lars Kecke wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >> Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >>
    >>> I haven't experienced it myself, but it involves planting the nuke and
    >>> using the phase device to escape at the last second.
    >>
    >>
    >> Interesting. But useless. Anyone who survived a Thermonuclear blast in
    >> DoomRL will tell you that it affects the whole level.
    >
    >
    > So is there an invulnerability globe in the final level? And what
    > happens if you type iddqd before the bomb goes off? IIRC you get ~5
    > turns of invulnerability before the anti-cheat-protection kicks in.

    iddqd doesn't work on the last level. Nor doesn't it work at all, in the
    recent versions. BTW I got the first special ending report yesterday ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to
    start playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:58:15 +0200, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
    <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

    >Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >> I haven't experienced it myself, but it involves planting the nuke and
    >> using the phase device to escape at the last second.
    >
    >Interesting. But useless. Anyone who survived a Thermonuclear blast in
    >DoomRL will tell you that it affects the whole level.

    The player was thinking on using the Phase device at the last second so
    that he wouldn't technically be present while the bomb was detonating. Of
    course, the correct procedure was to become invulnerable.

    >
    >> Even if this
    >> doesn't involve either object, it's a bug that needs to be fixed.
    >
    >True. I'll take a look.

    Found another bug - there's a maximum number of monsters allowed on a
    level. There's two known monster generatiors in the game: the lever and
    the secret ending. This bug is known to occurr with the second option.

    :An unhandled exception occurred at 0x00417F51
    :ERangeError : Range check error
    : $00417F51 TROOM__ADDBEING, line 663 of doomroom.pas·
    : $5F4D4F4F line 88 of windows.pp
    :An unhandled exception occurred at 0x004626CF :
    :EAccessViolation : Access violation
    : $004626CF GET_CALLER_ADDR, line 1200 of D:/lazarus/source/fpc-1.9/rtl/i386/i386.inc
    : $0046CA54 DUMP_STACK, line 780 of D:/lazarus/source/fpc-1.9/rtl/inc/system.inc
    : $0006FF50
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:58:15 +0200, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
    > <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >>
    >>>I haven't experienced it myself, but it involves planting the nuke and
    >>>using the phase device to escape at the last second.
    >>
    >>Interesting. But useless. Anyone who survived a Thermonuclear blast in
    >>DoomRL will tell you that it affects the whole level.
    >
    >
    > The player was thinking on using the Phase device at the last second so
    > that he wouldn't technically be present while the bomb was detonating. Of
    > course, the correct procedure was to become invulnerable.

    True ;-).

    > Found another bug - there's a maximum number of monsters allowed on a
    > level. There's two known monster generatiors in the game: the lever and
    > the secret ending. This bug is known to occurr with the second option.

    Kheh I never thought anyone would survive so long. Ok, but this issue
    unfortunately will have to wait till 0.9.9. Say, you weren't cheating,
    were'nt you? ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and
    restart body."
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Quoting Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca>:
    >level. There's two known monster generatiors in the game: the lever and
    >the secret ending. This bug is known to occurr with the second option.

    I know what the secret ending is now, but the Cyberdemon was a much better
    boss than that thing...
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
    Today is Aponoia, May.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    David Damerell wrote:
    > Quoting Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca>:
    >
    >>level. There's two known monster generatiors in the game: the lever and
    >>the secret ending. This bug is known to occurr with the second option.
    >
    >
    > I know what the secret ending is now, but the Cyberdemon was a much better
    > boss than that thing...

    It's a joke after all. Like the boss in DoomII ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game --
    vapourware." -- Anathiel about GenRogue
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:19:33 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
    <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

    >Raymond Martineau wrote:

    >> Found another bug - there's a maximum number of monsters allowed on a
    >> level. There's two known monster generatiors in the game: the lever and
    >> the secret ending. This bug is known to occurr with the second option.
    >
    >Kheh I never thought anyone would survive so long. Ok, but this issue
    >unfortunately will have to wait till 0.9.9.

    Actually, the monsters were appearing in very rapid succession. I tried to
    use the BFG to clear them out, but those kinds tend to survive at least one
    direct BFG hit.

    The only time I didn't have trouble completing the map occurred when no
    monsters were being placed - completely strange.

    >Say, you weren't cheating, were'nt you? ;-)

    ;)
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
    news:d4telk$326$3@inews.gazeta.pl...
    > David Damerell wrote:
    >> Quoting Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca>:
    >>
    >>>level. There's two known monster generatiors in the game: the lever and
    >>>the secret ending. This bug is known to occurr with the second option.
    >>
    >>
    >> I know what the secret ending is now, but the Cyberdemon was a much
    >> better
    >> boss than that thing...
    >
    > It's a joke after all. Like the boss in DoomII ;-)

    Hey, the boss in DoomII was damn cool. It's only a joke if you actually
    *see* it, which you can't do without cheating...can you get to the secret
    ending in DRL *only* by cheating?

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
    W:AF Q+++ AI++ GFX++ SFX-- RN++++ PO--- !Hp Re-- S+
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > Hey, the boss in DoomII was damn cool. It's only a joke if you actually
    > *see* it, which you can't do without cheating...can you get to the secret
    > ending in DRL *only* by cheating?

    No ;-). It just takes a *lot* of luck.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch
    of text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
    > Hey, the boss in DoomII was damn cool.

    No, MAP30 Icon Of Sin was a tiresome "trick key" exercise, just like
    MAP20's Cyberdemon-and-Mastermind room was (and like E4M2's cyberdemon
    and Quake's "House of Chthon" and "Shub-Niggurath's Lair" would
    subsequently turn out to be).
    --
    Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
    My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
    Everyone expected the Bavarian Inquisition.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On 29 Apr 2005 15:32:44 +0100 (BST), Martin Read
    <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    >"Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
    >> Hey, the boss in DoomII was damn cool.
    >
    >No, MAP30 Icon Of Sin was a tiresome "trick key" exercise, just like
    >MAP20's Cyberdemon-and-Mastermind room was (and like E4M2's cyberdemon
    >and Quake's "House of Chthon" and "Shub-Niggurath's Lair" would
    >subsequently turn out to be).

    Of the ones you listed, the ones in the Doom series were the better
    puzzles. MAP20 is acceptable, since most players should have already seen
    that monsters fight each-other. (Either that, or take cover behind the
    Cyberdemon.)

    E4M2's Cyberdemon isn't necessairy to fight - you can run past it. You
    only need to telefrag it if you want the BFG or the exit to the secret
    level.

    MAP30 required the player to perform a puzzle in a combat situation - which
    makes it a challenge. It does feel slightly unrealistic, but that doesn't
    prevent it from being fun.

    Quake's puzzles, on the other hand, were substandard. "Poof, Lava guardian
    insta-killed by something he puts next to his lava-pit." "Poof,
    Shubby-Chan insta-killed by something she puts in her own lair."
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
    news:d4tfft$79c$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
    > Glen Wheeler wrote:
    >> Hey, the boss in DoomII was damn cool. It's only a joke if you
    >> actually *see* it, which you can't do without cheating...can you get to
    >> the secret ending in DRL *only* by cheating?
    >
    > No ;-). It just takes a *lot* of luck.

    Hm. Do you mean ``No'' as in ``No, I disagree with you, I think you can
    see the joke in the DoomII boss without cheating'' or ``No, you don't need
    to cheat to get to the secret ending in DRL''??

    Because if it's the latter, that's kinda my point. The joke was there in
    DII, but it didn't go anywhere near the ``real'' experience, it was very
    much an implementation issue and less of a plot or gameplay element.

    Not that I know anything at all about your secret ending :P.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
    W:AF Q+++ AI++ GFX++ SFX-- RN++++ PO--- !Hp Re-- S+
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
    > news:d4tfft$79c$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
    >
    >>Glen Wheeler wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey, the boss in DoomII was damn cool. It's only a joke if you
    >>>actually *see* it, which you can't do without cheating...can you get to
    >>>the secret ending in DRL *only* by cheating?
    >>
    >>No ;-). It just takes a *lot* of luck.
    >
    > Hm. Do you mean ``No'' as in ``No, I disagree with you, I think you can
    > see the joke in the DoomII boss without cheating'' or ``No, you don't need
    > to cheat to get to the secret ending in DRL''??

    The latter.

    > Because if it's the latter, that's kinda my point. The joke was there in
    > DII, but it didn't go anywhere near the ``real'' experience, it was very
    > much an implementation issue and less of a plot or gameplay element.

    Well, let's not here, that DoomRL in itself is a kinda joke, so such a
    hidden easter egg is not out of place...

    > Not that I know anything at all about your secret ending :P.

    Neither do I ;-D
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Come on, Kornel. 11 years and no binary? And it's not
    vapourware?" -- Mike Blackney
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Martin Read" <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
    news:mFx*JfjNq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...
    > "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
    >> Hey, the boss in DoomII was damn cool.
    >
    > No, MAP30 Icon Of Sin was a tiresome "trick key" exercise, just like
    > MAP20's Cyberdemon-and-Mastermind room was (and like E4M2's cyberdemon
    > and Quake's "House of Chthon" and "Shub-Niggurath's Lair" would
    > subsequently turn out to be).

    Bah. It was, at least the first time I did it, frenetic and exciting.
    Fine, ID lack vision when it comes to endgame bosses (although D3 has some
    nice sub-bosses, the grand finale is just a bit too easy, even on nightmare)
    but I think D2 at least managed the adrenaline.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
    W:AF Q+++ AI++ GFX++ SFX-- RN++++ PO--- !Hp Re-- S+
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
    >
    >"Martin Read" <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
    >news:mFx*JfjNq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...
    >> "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
    >>> Hey, the boss in DoomII was damn cool.
    >>
    >> No, MAP30 Icon Of Sin was a tiresome "trick key" exercise, just like
    >> MAP20's Cyberdemon-and-Mastermind room was (and like E4M2's cyberdemon
    >> and Quake's "House of Chthon" and "Shub-Niggurath's Lair" would
    >> subsequently turn out to be).
    >
    > Bah. It was, at least the first time I did it, frenetic and exciting.

    I like fighting big mobs of monsters. I like the odd bit of sniper work
    (I enjoyed the "get into the German compound without raising the alarm"
    bit of Return To Castle Wolfenstein, for instance). However, doing
    sniper work while a big mob of monsters is throwing balls of flaming
    green snot at me is not even remotely enjoyable.
    --
    Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
    My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
    Everyone expected the Bavarian Inquisition.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:19:33 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
    > <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>Found another bug - there's a maximum number of monsters allowed on a
    >>>level. There's two known monster generatiors in the game: the lever and
    >>>the secret ending. This bug is known to occurr with the second option.
    >>
    >>Kheh I never thought anyone would survive so long. Ok, but this issue
    >>unfortunately will have to wait till 0.9.9.
    >
    >
    > Actually, the monsters were appearing in very rapid succession. I tried to
    > use the BFG to clear them out, but those kinds tend to survive at least one
    > direct BFG hit.

    You would be dead in a few turns, would you ;-).

    > The only time I didn't have trouble completing the map occurred when no
    > monsters were being placed - completely strange.

    ? Wierd...

    >>Say, you weren't cheating, were'nt you? ;-)
    >
    > ;)

    Well, nobody cries that he found a bug if they get stuck in a wall in
    Doom after typing idspispopd... ;-).
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "It's much easier to make an army of dumb good people than to
    make one single smart good guy..." -- DarkGod
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:40:50 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
    <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

    >Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:19:33 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
    >> <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>>Found another bug - there's a maximum number of monsters allowed on a
    >>>>level. There's two known monster generatiors in the game: the lever and
    >>>>the secret ending. This bug is known to occurr with the second option.
    >>>
    >>>Kheh I never thought anyone would survive so long. Ok, but this issue
    >>>unfortunately will have to wait till 0.9.9.
    >>
    >>
    >> Actually, the monsters were appearing in very rapid succession. I tried to
    >> use the BFG to clear them out, but those kinds tend to survive at least one
    >> direct BFG hit.
    >
    >You would be dead in a few turns, would you ;-).

    Not really - the monsters didn't attack often enough to be any serious
    threat. My tactic was to engage at maximum range, thus preventing the
    opponents from making their attack. Basically, the monsters were
    generally spread far apart and far enough away to prevent incoming attacks
    from even being launched. (And if they were, they wouldn't be enough to
    kill the character normally.)

    I know that there was a screen-capture utility for Dos that allowed
    recordings to help show these bugs... There's plenty of ones that produce
    AVI files, but those tend to be extremely large compared to what's really
    necessairy.

    The large quantity of monsters could also make completing that ending next
    to impossible anyway. But that's not a problem at all. :)

    >>>Say, you weren't cheating, were'nt you? ;-)
    >>
    >> ;)
    >
    >Well, nobody cries that he found a bug if they get stuck in a wall in
    >Doom after typing idspispopd... ;-).

    No, they'd complain about a Vis-plane overflow after typing that. :)
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >>You would be dead in a few turns, would you ;-).
    >
    > Not really - the monsters didn't attack often enough to be any serious
    > threat. My tactic was to engage at maximum range, thus preventing the
    > opponents from making their attack. Basically, the monsters were
    > generally spread far apart and far enough away to prevent incoming attacks
    > from even being launched. (And if they were, they wouldn't be enough to
    > kill the character normally.)

    But if they'd be constantly produced, you would have no chance to get
    closer to JC...

    > I know that there was a screen-capture utility for Dos that allowed
    > recordings to help show these bugs... There's plenty of ones that produce
    > AVI files, but those tend to be extremely large compared to what's really
    > necessairy.

    Valkyrie has an embedded ASCII-animation recorder and player, but I
    didn't activate that option in DoomRL, yet ;-).

    >>Well, nobody cries that he found a bug if they get stuck in a wall in
    >>Doom after typing idspispopd... ;-).
    >
    > No, they'd complain about a Vis-plane overflow after typing that. :)

    LOL ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "It's much easier to make an army of dumb good people than to
    make one single smart good guy..." -- DarkGod
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > But if they'd be constantly produced, you would have no chance to get
    > closer to JC...

    It's John *Carmack*?!
    Not Romero?

    --
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
    Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
    One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >> But if they'd be constantly produced, you would have no chance to get
    >> closer to JC...
    >
    > It's John *Carmack*?!
    > Not Romero?

    Urghhh! I spoiled you :-). Well -- JR made a almost independent software
    company (which strives for survival), while JC went into the big
    buissness. Who seems to be the greater evil? :-D
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game --
    vapourware." -- Anathiel about GenRogue
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz (kisielewicz@gazeta.pl) wrote:
    > Twisted One wrote:

    > > It's John *Carmack*?!
    > > Not Romero?
    >
    > Urghhh! I spoiled you :-). Well -- JR made a almost independent software
    > company (which strives for survival), while JC went into the big
    > buissness. Who seems to be the greater evil? :-D

    Which one was responsible for Daikatana?

    --
    JTJ | http://www.kolumbus.fi/j.julkunen/
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the
    demand."
    --Josh Billings
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Juho Julkunen wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz (kisielewicz@gazeta.pl) wrote:
    >
    >>Twisted One wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>It's John *Carmack*?!
    >>>Not Romero?
    >>
    >>Urghhh! I spoiled you :-). Well -- JR made a almost independent software
    >>company (which strives for survival), while JC went into the big
    >>buissness. Who seems to be the greater evil? :-D
    >
    > Which one was responsible for Daikatana?

    Romero.

    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Due to Pascal's original purpose as a teaching language it forces one
    to learn good habits - and those good habits stay with you, even when
    you later migrate to a much more forgiving language." - Sherm Pendley
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz (kisielewicz@gazeta.pl) wrote:
    > Juho Julkunen wrote:
    > > Kornel Kisielewicz (kisielewicz@gazeta.pl) wrote:
    > >
    > >>Twisted One wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>>It's John *Carmack*?!
    > >>>Not Romero?
    > >>
    > >>Urghhh! I spoiled you :-). Well -- JR made a almost independent software
    > >>company (which strives for survival), while JC went into the big
    > >>buissness. Who seems to be the greater evil? :-D
    > >
    > > Which one was responsible for Daikatana?
    >
    > Romero.

    That was one of them rhetorical questions.

    --
    JTJ | http://www.kolumbus.fi/j.julkunen/
    RESOLUTE, adj. Obstinate in a course that we approve.
    --Devil's Dictionary
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Juho Julkunen wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz (kisielewicz@gazeta.pl) wrote:
    >
    >>Juho Julkunen wrote:
    >>
    >>>Kornel Kisielewicz (kisielewicz@gazeta.pl) wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Twisted One wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>>It's John *Carmack*?!
    >>>>>Not Romero?
    >>>>
    >>>>Urghhh! I spoiled you :-). Well -- JR made a almost independent software
    >>>>company (which strives for survival), while JC went into the big
    >>>>buissness. Who seems to be the greater evil? :-D
    >>>
    >>>Which one was responsible for Daikatana?
    >>
    >>Romero.
    >
    >
    > That was one of them rhetorical questions.
    >

    Oh sorry ;-).
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "11 years and no binary. And it's not vapourware" -- Igor Savin
Ask a new question

Read More

Bug Video Games