DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

<advertisement-like voice>

Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!

I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...

SOUND AND MUSIC :-D

Yesss! Now you can hear those damn former humans dying, now you can
listen to your favourite Doom I tunes... And more even, you can download
MP3 files from http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/ and plug them into
DoomRL for maximum pleasure (RECOMMENDED! -- see doomrl.ini for
instalation information).

But it's not all!

The long awaited Save-On-Crash function is implemented! No longer will
you loose your ass kicking marine to some damn "IsPlayer" crash! I also
tried to fix some of those bugs by the way ;-).

But wait, there's more!

Two new level TYPES are in! Play NOW and check them out before They do...

Still not enough?

Expanded mortem.txt! Now you will be able to share on rgr.misc what
happend to your marine on each level! Also, you'll know how many
bastards have escaped your trusty chaingun....

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GRAB IT NOW!
http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/

</advertisement-like voice>

Changes from version.txt

v.0.9.8 (beta)
(9 bugfixes, 4 modifications, 8 additions)
(28.IV.2005)
[add] -- SOUND! Yeah, now hell is getting real ;-)
[add] -- MUSIC! Let the party begin!
[add] -- Possibility to bind MP3Files instead
[add] -- Prepared bindings for MP3's from www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/
[add] -- Saving on crash, finally! (greetings to R. Dan Henry)
[add] -- new level TYPE! (dedicated to Archibald ;-) ).
[add] -- another deadly level TYPE!
[add] -- killrate in mortem
[mod] -- Boots get more damaged
[mod] -- Cyber is unaffected by knockback!
[mod] -- Cyber has increased vision (prepare phase-devices)
[mod] -- increased Invulnerability duration.
[fix] -- proper Keybindings support in target and look mode
[fix] -- no pumping message when combat shotgun empty
[fix] -- fixed a CreateRoundDir bug
[fix] -- fixed a blood boots crash bug
[fix] -- fixed a bug in the celleffect code (possible IsPlayer crash)
[fix] -- fixed a bug in the telefrag code (possible IsPlayer crash)
[fix] -- NoIntro and NoFlashing in ini file works as it should
[fix] -- IronMan also increases HP (not only HPMax)
[fix] -- Cyberdeamon => Cyberdemon

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

    I downloaded it quickly on my friend's comp, and all I have to say is,
    WOW! Seamless sound integration. Simply amazing. Sound and music
    adds a lot to the game. Well done!

    However, unfortunately for me, I won't be able to play it at home,
    since I don't have Windows. Why no sound in the DOS version? It
    can't be too big of a hassle to add it, and if you did, all us linux
    folk could emulate it. So, sadly, I won't be able to enjoy the sound
    for more than a few minutes here and there, until you make the change
    for the DOS version too. Sigh...

    You really should make the addition to the DOS one too, since this is
    an amazingly great change, and I'm dying to play it on my laptop at
    home! Great job Kornel, keep it up! DoomRL was great before, but
    this puts it into a league of its own. :-)

    --
    "There are of course many problems connected with life, of
    which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'

    -- The Book.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > <advertisement-like voice>
    >
    > Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!

    LEGAL NOTE:
    All the Sounds and Music in this version of DoomRL are the property of
    ID Software. I decided to include them into DoomRL for your gameing
    pleasure. I guess that's not entirely legal -- but the files can be
    obtained from major Doom Editing sites. So in this version you can
    download them with DoomRL, in further versions I will probably remove
    them from the zip file and add a ink to where you can download them.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote:
    > I downloaded it quickly on my friend's comp, and all I have to say is,
    > WOW! Seamless sound integration. Simply amazing. Sound and music adds
    > a lot to the game. Well done!

    :-D. Have you noticed the Stereo and Distance effects? :-D

    > However, unfortunately for me, I won't be able to play it at home, since
    > I don't have Windows. Why no sound in the DOS version?

    Because neither SDL nor FMOD works with DOS. And the choice of Sound
    libraries for FreePascal is rather limited. I would need to prepare a
    separate Dos version, which I think is useless. Also AFAIR there's no
    MIDI support on Linux through FMOD (why?). But the good news is that the
    near-completion Linux port will still be able to use the superior MP3
    files. And yes, it will have sound :-)

    > Great job Kornel, keep it up! DoomRL was great before, but this puts it
    > into a league of its own. :-)

    :-D
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and
    restart body."
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Timothy Pruett wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded it quickly on my friend's comp, and all I have to say is,
    >> WOW! Seamless sound integration. Simply amazing. Sound and music
    >> adds a lot to the game. Well done!
    >

    > :-D. Have you noticed the Stereo and Distance effects? :-D

    Yeah, I did! Needless to say, I was blown away.

    >> However, unfortunately for me, I won't be able to play it at home,
    >> since I don't have Windows. Why no sound in the DOS version?
    >

    > Because neither SDL nor FMOD works with DOS. And the choice of Sound
    > libraries for FreePascal is rather limited. I would need to prepare a
    > separate Dos version, which I think is useless. Also AFAIR there's no
    > MIDI support on Linux through FMOD (why?). But the good news is that the
    > near-completion Linux port will still be able to use the superior MP3
    > files. And yes, it will have sound :-)

    Well, as long as the linux port will have sound, I'm happy. :-)

    --
    "There are of course many problems connected with life, of
    which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
    `Why do they die?' `Why do they spend so much of the
    intervening time wearing digital watches?'"

    -- The Book.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
    wiadomosci news:d4rjj9$mel$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
    > Because neither SDL nor FMOD works with DOS. And the choice of Sound
    > libraries for FreePascal is rather limited. I would need to prepare
    > a separate Dos version, which I think is useless. Also AFAIR there's
    > no MIDI support on Linux through FMOD (why?). But the good news is
    > that the near-completion Linux port will still be able to use the
    > superior MP3 files. And yes, it will have sound :-)

    I will take a moment to point that the Allegro library has sound under
    Linux, Windows _and_ dos. I always stated it's better than SDL :-)

    regards,
    Filip
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Filip Dreger wrote:
    > I will take a moment to point that the Allegro library has sound under
    > Linux, Windows _and_ dos. I always stated it's better than SDL :-)

    Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into this
    thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3 support
    ;-). And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest of
    allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch
    of text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Filip Dreger wrote:
    >
    >> I will take a moment to point that the Allegro library has sound under
    >> Linux, Windows _and_ dos. I always stated it's better than SDL :-)
    >
    > Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into this
    > thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3 support
    > ;-). And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest of
    > allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P

    I think the functionality is the same. It doesn't matter though, since
    Allegro is a C library and DoomRL is written in something else.

    (One more reason C is better -- much wider variety of 3rd-party
    libraries available in C than in other languages.)

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >> Filip Dreger wrote:
    >>
    >>> I will take a moment to point that the Allegro library has sound
    >>> under Linux, Windows _and_ dos. I always stated it's better than SDL :-)
    >>

    >> Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into this
    >> thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3 support
    >> ;-). And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest
    >> of allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P
    >
    > I think the functionality is the same. It doesn't matter though, since
    > Allegro is a C library and DoomRL is written in something else.
    > (One more reason C is better -- much wider variety of 3rd-party
    > libraries available in C than in other languages.)

    I'm quite positive there are FreePascal bindings for Allegro. Actually -
    - if something is in a *.dll or *.so, and doesn't use C++ classes then
    making a header for FreePascal is trivial. That's why FreePascal has
    OpenGL, SDL etc. support.

    Oh, BTW -- thanks for a few good tips from before. I finally made that
    huge step and thrown away both Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. I
    guess that now, after a few days of usage, no one could force me to go
    bal -- Thunderbird and Firefox are a lot better ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "A random group of people is useless for anything except
    statistics" -- Anubis
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
    ><advertisement-like voice>
    >Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
    >I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
    >SOUND AND MUSIC :-D

    Hooray! I hope some of the crashes are out, too. :-)
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
    Today is Aponoia, May.

    David Damerell wrote:
    > Quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
    >
    >><advertisement-like voice>
    >>Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
    >>I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
    >>SOUND AND MUSIC :-D
    >
    > Hooray! I hope some of the crashes are out, too. :-)

    I found some of them. And I guess the save-on-crash feature will make
    the rest less annoying (and easier to write down the tracedumps too).
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game --
    vapourware." -- Anathiel about GenRogue
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

    > Mechanoid wrote:
    >> - Get just a few more DooM sounds in there for the tougher enemies! Is
    >> it a Baron or a Knight? Sargeant, or Commander? Granted, it's scarrier,
    >> but it'd be even scarrier if you didn't find the staircase and you
    >> heard a Knight!
    >
    > Okay ;-). But I don't know wether they were actually different.

    Baron of Hell and Hell knight have very different sounds. For the zombie
    soldiers i'm not sure. I think they are different but in the end, they all
    look the same more or less.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
    wiadomosci news:d4rpk7$dgp$1@inews.gazeta.pl...

    > Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into
    > this thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3
    > support ;-).

    I was hoping noone would ask about this... no, it does not support
    mp3.

    And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest of
    > allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P
    Audio system is not detachable :-(
    But it indeed plays mids both under Linux and Windows.

    regards,
    Filip
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Filip Dreger wrote:
    > Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
    > wiadomosci news:d4rpk7$dgp$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
    >

    >>Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into
    >>this thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3
    >>support ;-).
    >

    > I was hoping noone would ask about this... no, it does not support
    > mp3.

    Duuh, then it's useless for me -- after I heard the Doom MP3's I just
    can't stand falling back to MIDI's :-/

    > And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest of
    >
    >>allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P
    >
    > Audio system is not detachable :-(

    This seems like another thing why Allegro isn't a good choice ;-).

    > But it indeed plays mids both under Linux and Windows.

    This one's interesting tough... (but come to think of it, so does SDL ;-) ).
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "11 years and no binary. And it's not vapourware" -- Igor Savin
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Great. The sound FX just give that extra-punch to the game. I thought
    the blood stains in the floor and walls were a cool feature, the one
    item in one space only also added to the effect (various characters
    appearing at the same time around the corpse emulates a body
    explosion). Now the sound FX ;) Nice idea, indeed.

    Also, any level design improvments are always welcome. :)

    Btw, I like the ascii-pics of the monsters. Would it possible to, for
    example, put the monster's pic that killed you in the mortem file? ;)

    Keep up the good work!
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    AngeloB wrote:
    > Great. The sound FX just give that extra-punch to the game. I thought
    > the blood stains in the floor and walls were a cool feature, the one
    > item in one space only also added to the effect (various characters
    > appearing at the same time around the corpse emulates a body
    > explosion). Now the sound FX ;) Nice idea, indeed.

    :-D

    > Also, any level design improvments are always welcome. :)

    And there will be more to come.

    > Btw, I like the ascii-pics of the monsters. Would it possible to, for
    > example, put the monster's pic that killed you in the mortem file? ;)

    Well it would, but I think it isn't a good idea. Those ASCII pics look
    cool because they are coulored. Without colors the comletely don't look
    like the oroginal :-/
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "It's much easier to make an army of dumb good people than to
    make one single smart good guy..." -- DarkGod
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:39:13 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
    <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

    Well, people at alt.ascii-art could do them better...

    --
    |a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
    | m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
    | k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
    `-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > > ABCGi wrote:
    > >
    > >> Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(
    > >
    > > Yes. I know.
    > >
    > >> Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
    > >> for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
    > >> corpse.
    > >
    > > Oh come on ;-). Or maybe, as a small hidden feature :-D
    >
    > Cool. Little cookies like that... have in mortem.txt
    > how many secrets were found out of how many... adds an
    > extra challenge.
    >
    > Here is my pedantic corrections of the opening text
    > including use of commas which I don't even use myself
    > on usenet! Corrections exist in each paragraph below...
    >
    > The trip was long, you thought it would never end. Hell, a job as
    > a marine reserve is sooo boring. You hate UAC -- nothing happens
    > here. Even now, you have to wait for your fellow marines who
    > were supposed to check what happened on Phobos.
    >
    > Not knowing what to do with yourself you just sit near the comm
    > console and listen to the news from your fellow marines.
    >
    > "Hell, what bloodshed!" you hear from the comm, "Corpses
    > everywhere!"

    Kornel, I implore you to keep the line "What a bloodshed!"

    Please don't correct this!
    A.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > <advertisement-like voice>
    >
    > Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
    >
    > I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
    >
    > SOUND AND MUSIC :-D
    *SNIP*
    > SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GRAB IT NOW!
    > http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/
    >
    > </advertisement-like voice>

    Freakin' awesome, well done. Full play test
    report later but love the sounds (should add
    the bang bang bang noise and slurps in the
    intro), and the credits are nice too.

    I would of done the music in the ini file
    without extension and look for mp3 first
    in not exist goto mid named the same - so
    players don't have to edit ini file.

    Prefer game not close down at finish, I
    add this to batch file;

    :label
    doomrl
    goto label

    alt-enter and click x to quit. Ugly :)

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

    Timofei Shatrov wrote:
    >>Well it would, but I think it isn't a good idea. Those ASCII pics look
    >>cool because they are coulored. Without colors the comletely don't look
    >>like the oroginal :-/
    >
    > Well, people at alt.ascii-art could do them better...

    You think they would do so much work for free?
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to
    start playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Freakin' awesome, well done.

    :-D

    > Full play test
    > report later but love the sounds (should add
    > the bang bang bang noise and slurps in the
    > intro), and the credits are nice too.

    Credits?

    > I would of done the music in the ini file
    > without extension and look for mp3 first
    > in not exist goto mid named the same - so
    > players don't have to edit ini file.

    I made it as it is, cause the names that are available now, are the
    original ones, and don't need any fidling around if you just download
    them from somewhere else.

    > Prefer game not close down at finish, I
    > add this to batch file;
    >
    > :label
    > doomrl
    > goto label
    >
    > alt-enter and click x to quit. Ugly :)

    LOL! My friend had such an autoexec.bat on his DOS machine!

    If you want I can add an option in the ini-file -- RESTARTATDEATH ?
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to
    start playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >> <advertisement-like voice>
    >>
    >> Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
    >>
    >> I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
    >>
    >> SOUND AND MUSIC :-D
    >
    > *SNIP*
    >
    >> SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GRAB IT NOW!
    >> http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/
    >>
    >> </advertisement-like voice>
    >
    > Freakin' awesome, well done. Full play test
    > report later but love the sounds (should add
    > the bang bang bang noise and slurps in the
    > intro), and the credits are nice too.
    >
    > I would of done the music in the ini file
    > without extension and look for mp3 first
    > in not exist goto mid named the same - so
    > players don't have to edit ini file.
    >
    > Prefer game not close down at finish, I
    > add this to batch file;
    >
    > :label
    > doomrl
    > goto label
    >
    > alt-enter and click x to quit. Ugly :)

    DOOM-RL - ver 0.9.8 WIN-S on Win XP - playtest

    As usual take what you like and feel free to ignore
    the rest!

    GOOD
    ----
    * Sound and music! Esp sound is atmospheric.
    * Combat shotgun is the bomb - great strategy.
    * Performance of DOS window is fine on my high end PC.
    * Game comes with midi files so works out of box.
    WAV files should always accompany every release IMO.
    * Standing adjacent to monster engages their melee mode.
    * Love the post mortem stuff, prev dead warriors etc
    * Targeting system is excellent
    * Wait command is good tactically.
    * Good 'n hard!
    * 'U'nload weapon from ground is great! Would rather it
    be SHIFT 'g' (or whatever keys are used for pickup)
    though. speed speed speed gameplay ;)
    * Sounds are great for shooting into the dark without
    the need to use text notification!
    Make sure monsters do actually respond to being shot
    in this way or its a bit of a exploit.
    * Background sounds of living monsters is cool and
    informative.
    * Knock back is the rox (see kick RFE below).

    ISSUE [fix]
    -----
    * '.' wait command should also pump the combat shotgun
    * Pressing the med kit letter in the inventory should
    use the health kit.
    * Equip screen should not escape when you change slot.
    * User should not have to fiddle with ini files etc
    To appeal to more than just us high end geeks :)
    * English on intro needs corrections...
    "who supposed" = "who were supposed"
    I could be more pedantic but I won't ;P
    Should there be a time limit before it continues
    to next screen instead of waiting for SPACE?
    * Changing from inventory screen to equipment screen
    i tried to press e but this tried to use item e
    = got attacked and died
    * Post mortem should not say "There finally he..."
    when he only fought a few levels... also should
    the PC always be a male??? ;)
    * U for use lever means can't use item on lever
    (existing bug!)
    * Numpad '.' does not work with num lock off but
    movement only works with num lock off meaning
    main keyboard needed for wait command.
    * Interesting animation on black screen occurs
    while 'u'sing med kits in the middle of combat.
    In dos window.
    * ',' run command stops at corpse - debatable -
    but when I reach the corpse I should run
    over it the second time I engage run.
    * Is TAB to cycle targeting in the keybinding?
    It could also be on the line Fire -- Choose target...
    [f]ire [TAB] [ESC]
    When I cycle to the 2nd of two monsters, fire,
    then on next round it is on the 2nd monster
    and I press tab it is still on the 2nd monster...
    then subsequent tabs work properly (ie that bit
    of code has not yet been told the current target is
    not the default closest one).
    * Post mortem General section does not mention those
    that ran away! 'Q'uit... ;)
    Consider saving each mortem.txt file as
    mortem_playername.txt ?

    CHANGE REQUESTS [mod]
    ---------------
    * I should be able to drop currently held weapon...
    this should be faster than 1/2 of a weapon switch :)
    SHIFT weapon quick key would be fine way of doing
    this (drops current weapon and switches to selected
    weapon)
    * Sound when player missing?
    * When player moves monster aim should suffer a penalty.
    You prob. already have this, but if I'm out in the
    open and stand still the monsters should get more
    accurate after their first shot - much like playing
    Doom where you strafe left and right between firing.
    * Don't repeat the music on a level, let it play through
    once per level... just the noises by themselves can
    also be cool and creepy! Or music toggle: on, off
    for rest of level, mute.
    * Target stay at same empty point aimed at last turn.
    I often shoot into the dark a full clip to "test the
    waters" ;)
    * Character screen ('@') can show things like effect of
    current tactic setting (cautious, aggressive) and
    break down of all PC stats and to-hit changes etc

    RFE [add]
    ---
    * Dual pistols! etc
    * Kick command - if successful knocks monster back a
    certain distance (depending on str and monster) and
    may stun monster for that turn. Great for pushing
    monsters into acid - or kicking them back then
    giving them both barrels - or kicking them in
    front of a chaingun. Also kicking barrels will
    slide them x distance based on strength and do
    a small amount of damage to the barrels integrity -
    allowing a barrel against a wall to be kicked till
    it blows up or for a weak barrel to blow up in the
    PCs face when kicked. Or something along these lines.
    Kicking one barrel into another explodes them both :)
    Chance to disarm former humans etc.
    * Do something interesting on various names entered
    as player names - just easter eggs, nothing too
    unbalancing. You already do the cheat codes right??? ;)
    Colour the name differently to indicate user has
    found an easter egg ("John Romero" "Id" etc)
    * Add tip section to level up screen - random tip such
    as "Remember you can 'U'nload a weapon from the
    ground to take just its ammo" or "Barrels hurt!" etc.
    Helps gets noobs in faster, and is kind of an adding
    experience to the player AND the PC.
    * '5' on numpad to do something (pick up?) - sacrilegious
    I know - prob just used to it now from playing the tombs
    (btw Martin if your reading - see how the sounds in this
    really add to the game!)
    * Dive command - SHIFT any movement key dives the PC in
    that direction, moving two squares and being harder to
    hit, with whatever time penalty balances it out?
    * '@' character screen could have ASCII picture of bloodied
    face depending on damage status.
    * Pets - fellow marines = cannon fodder! ;)
    * Do the monsters fight each other when they hurt each other?

    Great great great game - much harder and therefore much more
    replayability, as of course defeating it does take a shine off
    the challenge factor. That seems to be enough feedback :)
    I'll let you know if I notice any major problems but it all
    seems pretty clean and professional!

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:

    <snip suggestions, RFEs, etc>

    Another minor little quirk to mention:

    Make 'R' ("Special Reload") do a normal reload for weapons that don't
    have a special reload, instead of just giving an error message. Not
    really a big deal, but I play with the combat shotgun a lot, so I'm
    used to hitting 'R' a lot, and when I finally switch to a new gun, I
    typically hit 'R' a few times by mistake, only to have to hit 'r'
    again afterwards. Like I said, not a big deal, but it's just one of
    those little things that adds some polish to the game.

    --
    "There are of course many problems connected with life, of
    which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
    `Why do they die?' `Why do they spend so much of the
    intervening time wearing digital watches?'"

    -- The Book.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > DOOM-RL - ver 0.9.8 WIN-S on Win XP - playtest
    >
    > As usual take what you like and feel free to ignore
    > the rest!

    ;-)

    > GOOD
    > ----
    > * Sound and music! Esp sound is atmospheric.

    Noticed the stereo/distance effects? :-D

    > * Combat shotgun is the bomb - great strategy.
    > * Performance of DOS window is fine on my high end PC.

    It works a lot better fullscreen tough. But still, I'm happy it works
    out of the box on XP machines.

    > * Game comes with midi files so works out of box.
    > WAV files should always accompany every release IMO.

    But they're licenced :-(. I don't know how much of an infraction is
    that. Maybe a confirmation page that appears after clicking download
    would be enough? I mean that those MIDIs and WAVs are available at any
    editing site, and I just packaged them in...

    > * Love the post mortem stuff, prev dead warriors etc

    :-). I wonder what more can be added there.

    > * Targeting system is excellent

    But buggy still :-D

    > * Good 'n hard!

    Many people say it's too easy :-). I think Nightmare mode is in order...

    > * Sounds are great for shooting into the dark without
    > the need to use text notification!

    LOL! True. You just hear: Bang! Urgggh!

    > Make sure monsters do actually respond to being shot
    > in this way or its a bit of a exploit.

    It's a good exploit :-) -- like playing Quake by the ear...

    > ISSUE [fix]
    > -----
    > * '.' wait command should also pump the combat shotgun

    It doesn't?

    > * Pressing the med kit letter in the inventory should
    > use the health kit.

    It doesn't??

    > * Equip screen should not escape when you change slot.

    This is needed. I don't want any offscreen deaths. And changing a slot
    must take a turn.

    > * User should not have to fiddle with ini files etc
    > To appeal to more than just us high end geeks :)

    You mean an "options" menu instead?

    > * English on intro needs corrections...
    > "who supposed" = "who were supposed"

    Where did you find that?

    > I could be more pedantic but I won't ;P

    Oh, do be :-). I'll run in a pedantic person anyway some time, so it's
    better to correct it sooner :-D

    > Should there be a time limit before it continues
    > to next screen instead of waiting for SPACE?

    ??

    > * Changing from inventory screen to equipment screen
    > i tried to press e but this tried to use item e
    > = got attacked and died

    ??

    > * Post mortem should not say "There finally he..."
    > when he only fought a few levels... also should
    > the PC always be a male??? ;)

    I don't know -- adding a gender choice would be just another keypress
    before you enter battle...

    > * U for use lever means can't use item on lever
    > (existing bug!)

    You should use the inventory screen then.

    > * Numpad '.' does not work with num lock off but
    > movement only works with num lock off meaning
    > main keyboard needed for wait command.

    I'll see to that.

    > * Interesting animation on black screen occurs
    > while 'u'sing med kits in the middle of combat.
    > In dos window.

    Not only I think. It's the way the game handles redraws. I'm not sure
    that can be easily fixed.

    > * ',' run command stops at corpse - debatable -
    > but when I reach the corpse I should run
    > over it the second time I engage run.

    Okay.

    > * Is TAB to cycle targeting in the keybinding?
    > It could also be on the line Fire -- Choose target...
    > [f]ire [TAB] [ESC]

    True :-).

    > When I cycle to the 2nd of two monsters, fire,
    > then on next round it is on the 2nd monster
    > and I press tab it is still on the 2nd monster...
    > then subsequent tabs work properly (ie that bit
    > of code has not yet been told the current target is
    > not the default closest one).

    Aaaah. I will need to look at that ;-).

    > * Post mortem General section does not mention those
    > that ran away! 'Q'uit... ;)

    Aaaah!

    > Consider saving each mortem.txt file as
    > mortem_playername.txt ?

    Good idea :-). But only for windows version :-D. I'll also move them to
    a separate directory.

    > CHANGE REQUESTS [mod]
    > ---------------
    > * I should be able to drop currently held weapon...
    > this should be faster than 1/2 of a weapon switch :)
    > SHIFT weapon quick key would be fine way of doing
    > this (drops current weapon and switches to selected
    > weapon)

    Hmm... I don't know if it wouldn't be just painful.

    ?

    > * When player moves monster aim should suffer a penalty.
    > You prob. already have this, but if I'm out in the
    > open and stand still the monsters should get more
    > accurate after their first shot - much like playing
    > Doom where you strafe left and right between firing.

    I don't get it. What's wrong with the way it is now? Now only when you
    move, there's a chance that he will target the square you *were* on,
    instead the square you *are* on.

    > * Don't repeat the music on a level, let it play through
    > once per level... just the noises by themselves can
    > also be cool and creepy! Or music toggle: on, off
    > for rest of level, mute.

    Hmm. I will have to rethink that :-). I also thought about one track per
    4 levels, and dedicated tracks for special levels.

    > * Target stay at same empty point aimed at last turn.
    > I often shoot into the dark a full clip to "test the
    > waters" ;)

    AI needs a redesign, I know ;-)

    > * Character screen ('@') can show things like effect of
    > current tactic setting (cautious, aggressive) and
    > break down of all PC stats and to-hit changes etc

    Yeah.

    > RFE [add]
    > ---
    > * Dual pistols! etc

    Oh come on ;-). How do you imagine that interface wise?

    > * Kick command - if successful knocks monster back a
    > certain distance (depending on str and monster) and
    > may stun monster for that turn. Great for pushing
    > monsters into acid - or kicking them back then
    > giving them both barrels - or kicking them in
    > front of a chaingun.

    I don't know how better that would be instead of just blasting him. And
    do you imagine a kicked baron/demon/arachnotron/cyberdemon would buldge
    at all (or feel that kick at all)?

    > Also kicking barrels will
    > slide them x distance based on strength and do
    > a small amount of damage to the barrels integrity -
    > allowing a barrel against a wall to be kicked till
    > it blows up or for a weak barrel to blow up in the
    > PCs face when kicked.

    That's useless :-)

    > Or something along these lines.
    > Kicking one barrel into another explodes them both :)

    Also useless, cause you'l get in the blast of both for sure...

    I may consider the kick command, but only if you come up with at least 3
    realy usefull applications of it.

    > * Do something interesting on various names entered
    > as player names - just easter eggs, nothing too
    > unbalancing. You already do the cheat codes right??? ;)

    Actually they were removed when I changed the input system :-/

    > Colour the name differently to indicate user has
    > found an easter egg ("John Romero" "Id" etc)

    Hmm... I *do* have an idea for a few easter eggs ;-D

    > * Add tip section to level up screen - random tip such
    > as "Remember you can 'U'nload a weapon from the
    > ground to take just its ammo" or "Barrels hurt!" etc.
    > Helps gets noobs in faster, and is kind of an adding
    > experience to the player AND the PC.

    Good one ;-). And easier then updating the manual :-D

    > * '5' on numpad to do something (pick up?) - sacrilegious
    > I know - prob just used to it now from playing the tombs
    > (btw Martin if your reading - see how the sounds in this
    > really add to the game!)

    Shouldn't it be the "wait" key?

    > * Dive command - SHIFT any movement key dives the PC in
    > that direction, moving two squares and being harder to
    > hit, with whatever time penalty balances it out?

    Hmm... i don't know. May be fun, but poses some problems.

    > * '@' character screen could have ASCII picture of bloodied
    > face depending on damage status.

    LOL :-). I don't have so much time and patience with ASCII tough...

    > * Pets - fellow marines = cannon fodder! ;)

    LOL2! Kinda undoomish tough ;-).

    > * Do the monsters fight each other when they hurt each other?

    Not yet ;-).

    > Great great great game - much harder and therefore much more
    > replayability, as of course defeating it does take a shine off
    > the challenge factor. That seems to be enough feedback :)

    I want someone to post a YASD or YAVP on rgr.misc! I'm eager to see how
    people play...

    > I'll let you know if I notice any major problems but it all
    > seems pretty clean and professional!

    Thanks!
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to
    start playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    > <snip suggestions, RFEs, etc>
    >
    > Another minor little quirk to mention:
    >
    > Make 'R' ("Special Reload") do a normal reload for weapons that don't
    > have a special reload, instead of just giving an error message. Not
    > really a big deal, but I play with the combat shotgun a lot, so I'm used
    > to hitting 'R' a lot, and when I finally switch to a new gun, I
    > typically hit 'R' a few times by mistake, only to have to hit 'r' again
    > afterwards. Like I said, not a big deal, but it's just one of those
    > little things that adds some polish to the game.

    Ok. I'll remember that.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Mechanoid wrote:
    >> A few suggestions:
    >> - Invisibility Globe! 8D
    >
    > Oh come on ;-). If I add invisibility I'll add invisible demons too, you
    > know ;-).

    It needs them... super creepy to hear the demon but
    not be able to see it till attacks. Firing shotgun
    in every direction - hearing it groan - killing
    it and it becomes visible ;) Using barrels or splash
    damage to take them out where you /think/ they are!

    Also 'k'ick command kicks gibs! Leaves red mark where
    it bounces off walls, stuns monster for round if hit.

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >> Mechanoid wrote:
    >>
    >>> A few suggestions:
    >>> - Invisibility Globe! 8D
    >>

    >> Oh come on ;-). If I add invisibility I'll add invisible demons too,
    >> you know ;-).
    >

    > It needs them... super creepy to hear the demon but
    > not be able to see it till attacks. Firing shotgun
    > in every direction - hearing it groan - killing
    > it and it becomes visible ;) Using barrels or splash
    > damage to take them out where you /think/ they are!

    Yes, but as designer, I have to think about gameplay: for many people it
    would be frustrating, and not fun. Moreover, I'm afraid, that watching
    for invisi-demons would drasticaly reduce the pace of the game. As I
    think about it, invsi-demons would only turn-up in caves, and only in
    one that hold only them...

    > Also 'k'ick command kicks gibs! Leaves red mark where
    > it bounces off walls, stuns monster for round if hit.

    You're serious? :-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    >> But they're licenced :-(. I don't know how much of an infraction is
    >> that. Maybe a confirmation page that appears after clicking download
    >> would be enough? I mean that those MIDIs and WAVs are available at any
    >> editing site, and I just packaged them in...
    >
    > I thought Id released Doom into the public domain or
    > open source. Or is this just the source code.

    Just the source code. You can't get all 3 episodes legaly without paying.

    >> :-). I wonder what more can be added there.
    >
    > #times bleeding

    I don't know if it's of any revelance ;-)

    > #times under 10% health

    This OTOH may be -- although it would be hard to count -- example -- you
    get shot, go 7%hp (check). Now you get shot again -- 6% (check? if not,
    then how to differentiate between the former? -- ok, a flag), now medkit
    -- 31%. Hit again, hit again -- 10% (check?)

    > #real time clock of playtime

    Hard ;-). I'm not much into reltime clocks in FP. But doable.

    > #real time/turn average

    Kheh ;-). Would be in miliseconds I guess...

    >>> ISSUE [fix]
    >>> -----
    >>> * '.' wait command should also pump the combat shotgun
    >>
    >> It doesn't?
    >
    > Nope.

    Ooops.

    >>> * Pressing the med kit letter in the inventory should
    >>> use the health kit.
    >>
    >> It doesn't??
    >
    > Nope.

    Ooops.

    >>> * User should not have to fiddle with ini files etc
    >>> To appeal to more than just us high end geeks :)
    >>
    >> You mean an "options" menu instead?
    >
    > Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
    > the lowest common denominator ;)

    Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...

    >>> * English on intro needs corrections...
    >>> "who supposed" = "who were supposed"
    >>
    >> Where did you find that?
    >
    > 1st or 2nd page of intro...

    Ok.

    >>> Should there be a time limit before it continues
    >>> to next screen instead of waiting for SPACE?
    >>
    >> ??
    >
    > On the intro, should it go to the next page automatically
    > after 10 seconds.

    Not everybody reads so fast :-D. Okay, okay, kiddin.

    > When you press i you get inventory screen, a user might
    > expect pressing e would goto equipment screen but instead
    > it uses item e. Not sure what you can do about that other
    > than make the 'e'quipment key something like keypad
    > enter.

    Dunno. I'll see to that.

    >> Not only I think. It's the way the game handles redraws. I'm not sure
    >> that can be easily fixed.
    >
    > Doesn't really need to be, its kinda psychedelic.

    Kheh, it just draws what you notice at that moment ;-).

    >>> * Target stay at same empty point aimed at last turn.
    >>> I often shoot into the dark a full clip to "test the
    >>> waters" ;)
    >>
    >> AI needs a redesign, I know ;-)
    >
    > Oh but what I meant was my target aim should stay where
    > it was last turn if no monsters around so I can "strafe"
    > across empty space.

    So if no monsters around, then target relative last square?

    >> Oh come on ;-). How do you imagine that interface wise?
    >

    > Press '1' equip pistol
    > Press '1' again equip dual pistol (if 2nd pistol exist)

    No way! I won't go into the two weapons under one key pitfall again! Die
    QuickKey code!

    > Press 'r'eload reloads first pistol if required
    > Press 'r'eload reloads second pistol if first pistol full
    >
    > In the words of Ben Stiller: "DO IT!!!!" ;)

    Uhhh....

    >>> Great great great game - much harder and therefore much more
    >>> replayability, as of course defeating it does take a shine off
    >>> the challenge factor. That seems to be enough feedback :)
    >>
    >> I want someone to post a YASD or YAVP on rgr.misc! I'm eager to see
    >> how people play...
    >
    > Haven't done either yet :) Also don't really have any exciting
    > screenies either yet!

    Please do! ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
    >> the lowest common denominator ;)
    >
    > Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...

    AI? This is DooMRL we're discussing. It isn't very doomlike if the
    monsters are *smart*. ;)

  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >>> Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
    >>> the lowest common denominator ;)
    >>

    >> Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...
    >
    > AI? This is DooMRL we're discussing. It isn't very doomlike if the
    > monsters are *smart*. ;)

    As for now monsters in Doom are a lot smarter then in DoomRL ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    > <snip suggestions, RFEs, etc>
    >
    > Another minor little quirk to mention:
    >
    > Make 'R' ("Special Reload") do a normal reload for weapons that don't
    > have a special reload, instead of just giving an error message. Not
    > really a big deal, but I play with the combat shotgun a lot, so I'm used
    > to hitting 'R' a lot, and when I finally switch to a new gun, I
    > typically hit 'R' a few times by mistake, only to have to hit 'r' again
    > afterwards. Like I said, not a big deal, but it's just one of those
    > little things that adds some polish to the game.

    Yes and in this coffee table speed game anything
    that makes the interface go bling bling bling is
    good as it adds to that feeling of pace. I like to
    jam my finger on 'f' a lot and empty clips into
    monsters - its almost like playing the original!

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> ABCGi wrote:

    >>> "mode con cp select=473" returns
    >>> The code page specified is not valid.

    >> Hmm... No idea :-)

    > That's the error I get running your batch file,

    That should be "437", not "473".

    --
    Darshan Shaligram <scintilla@gmail.com> Deus vult
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Darshan Shaligram wrote:
    > ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
    >>That's the error I get running your batch file,
    >
    > That should be "437", not "473".

    Thanks!
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Well, the philosophy of the World of Shadows is based on most of the
    degenerate, immoral and foremost amoral philosophical beliefs of our
    world exagarated to the maximum." --Anubis
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Antoine wrote:
    >>"Hell, what bloodshed!" you hear from the comm, "Corpses
    >>everywhere!"
    >

    > Kornel, I implore you to keep the line "What a bloodshed!"
    >
    > Please don't correct this!
    > A.

    Why?
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "11 years and no binary. And it's not vapourware" -- Igor Savin
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
    >On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:39:13 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
    ><kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
    >
    >>AngeloB wrote:
    >>> Great. The sound FX just give that extra-punch to the game. I thought
    >>> the blood stains in the floor and walls were a cool feature, the one
    >>> item in one space only also added to the effect (various characters
    >>> appearing at the same time around the corpse emulates a body
    >>> explosion). Now the sound FX ;) Nice idea, indeed.
    >>
    >>:-D
    >>
    >>> Also, any level design improvments are always welcome. :)
    >>
    >>And there will be more to come.
    >>
    >>> Btw, I like the ascii-pics of the monsters. Would it possible to, for
    >>> example, put the monster's pic that killed you in the mortem file? ;)
    >>
    >>Well it would, but I think it isn't a good idea. Those ASCII pics look
    >>cool because they are coulored. Without colors the comletely don't look
    >>like the oroginal :-/
    >
    >Well, people at alt.ascii-art could do them better...

    That's exactly what I was going to say. Where's ABCGi? He is more
    respected there than me :D
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Timothy Pruett wrote:
    >
    >> ABCGi wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip suggestions, RFEs, etc>
    >>
    >> Another minor little quirk to mention:
    >>
    >> Make 'R' ("Special Reload") do a normal reload for weapons that don't
    >> have a special reload, instead of just giving an error message. Not
    >> really a big deal, but I play with the combat shotgun a lot, so I'm
    >> used to hitting 'R' a lot, and when I finally switch to a new gun, I
    >> typically hit 'R' a few times by mistake, only to have to hit 'r'
    >> again afterwards. Like I said, not a big deal, but it's just one of
    >> those little things that adds some polish to the game.
    >
    > Yes and in this coffee table speed game anything
    > that makes the interface go bling bling bling is
    > good as it adds to that feeling of pace. I like to
    > jam my finger on 'f' a lot and empty clips into
    > monsters - its almost like playing the original!

    KK...

    +1:
    "mode con cp select=473" returns
    The code page specified is not valid.

    -1:
    TAB - target cycle is in the keybindings text after
    all. ;) like twice or so ! doh

    -1:
    You mention redefinition of keybindings in ini file
    so I can make 'G' the Unload command. I think more
    users if they don't have to edit ini file though.

    +1:
    If have a bleeding state - need to have a bandage
    command feature?

    +1:
    RunOverItems = TRUE; - fair nuff :)
    auto names is cool too
    But % gibs still stop the run and you can't
    run over them even standing adjacent, or if
    standing on them and there is an item next
    door (even with above on)... ie needs a bit
    of work.

    +1:
    Mention on save that it will be loaded on next level.
    "You camp on the way down the stairs" or something...
    or a confirmation ... load/save works though...

    +1:
    No error message generated if you assign the same key
    to two actions, and only one action is performed.
    Keybindings help text is not adjusted to what is set
    in the ini file.

    +1:
    A turn counter or some indication of wait turns passing...

    +1:
    Be nice to assign more than one key to an action...

    +1: An alternative pickup key that never picks up weapons
    only unloads them, but picks up everything else.

    +1: Don't make the same loading sound when they try to
    switch to a weapon they don't have.

    +1:
    Real time clock timer and a fast player alternative high
    score list AND/OR added to standard high score scoring.

    xp display is good

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > KK...

    Yes AR? ;-)

    > +1:
    > "mode con cp select=473" returns
    > The code page specified is not valid.

    Hmm... No idea :-)

    > -1:
    > TAB - target cycle is in the keybindings text after
    > all. ;) like twice or so ! doh

    I don't get it ?

    > -1:
    > You mention redefinition of keybindings in ini file
    > so I can make 'G' the Unload command. I think more
    > users if they don't have to edit ini file though.

    What do you suggest?

    > +1:
    > If have a bleeding state - need to have a bandage
    > command feature?

    Nah, that would be complicating things.

    > +1:
    > RunOverItems = TRUE; - fair nuff :)

    :-D

    > auto names is cool too

    You just discovered it? ;-)

    > But % gibs still stop the run and you can't
    > run over them even standing adjacent, or if
    > standing on them and there is an item next
    > door (even with above on)... ie needs a bit
    > of work.

    Okay, okay, I'll do that :)

    > +1:
    > Mention on save that it will be loaded on next level.
    > "You camp on the way down the stairs" or something...
    > or a confirmation ... load/save works though...

    Hmm, ok.

    > +1:
    > No error message generated if you assign the same key
    > to two actions, and only one action is performed.

    It might be hard to check on that. But I can see to it.

    > Keybindings help text is not adjusted to what is set
    > in the ini file.

    True, so isn't the manual.txt. I might add "Default" to it tough.

    > +1:
    > A turn counter or some indication of wait turns passing...

    Hmm, where?

    > +1:
    > Be nice to assign more than one key to an action...

    Unfortunately that's an issue with Valkyrie I think.. I'll look to that.

    > +1: An alternative pickup key that never picks up weapons
    > only unloads them, but picks up everything else.

    Oh come on! Soooo easy?

    > +1: Don't make the same loading sound when they try to
    > switch to a weapon they don't have.

    Hmm, ok.

    > +1:
    > Real time clock timer and a fast player alternative high
    > score list AND/OR added to standard high score scoring.

    ??
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Come on, Kornel. 11 years and no binary? And it's not
    vapourware?" -- Mike Blackney
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> Freakin' awesome, well done.
    >
    > :-D
    >
    > > Full play test
    >
    >> report later but love the sounds (should add
    >> the bang bang bang noise and slurps in the
    >> intro), and the credits are nice too.
    >
    > Credits?
    >
    >> I would of done the music in the ini file
    >> without extension and look for mp3 first
    >> in not exist goto mid named the same - so
    >> players don't have to edit ini file.
    >
    > I made it as it is, cause the names that are available now, are the
    > original ones, and don't need any fidling around if you just download
    > them from somewhere else.

    hmmm I didn't explain that very well...

    MUSIC4 = "music/e1m1"

    if e1m1.mp3 exist use it, otherwise use e1m1.mid
    requires renaming "11 - hangar.mid" to e1m1.mid

    >> Prefer game not close down at finish, I
    >> add this to batch file;
    >>
    >> :label
    >> doomrl
    >> goto label
    >>
    >> alt-enter and click x to quit. Ugly :)
    >
    > LOL! My friend had such an autoexec.bat on his DOS machine!
    >
    > If you want I can add an option in the ini-file -- RESTARTATDEATH ?

    Yes please :)

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:

    > hmmm I didn't explain that very well...
    >
    > MUSIC4 = "music/e1m1"
    >
    > if e1m1.mp3 exist use it, otherwise use e1m1.mid
    > requires renaming "11 - hangar.mid" to e1m1.mid

    Yes, but this way, the MIDI's wont work "out of the box".

    >> LOL! My friend had such an autoexec.bat on his DOS machine!
    >>
    >> If you want I can add an option in the ini-file -- RESTARTATDEATH ?
    >

    > Yes please :)

    Ok ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Bateau wrote:
    > grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
    >>On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:39:13 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
    >><kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
    >>>AngeloB wrote:
    *SNIP*

    >>>Well it would, but I think it isn't a good idea. Those ASCII pics look
    >>>cool because they are coulored. Without colors the comletely don't look
    >>>like the oroginal :-/
    >>
    >>Well, people at alt.ascii-art could do them better...
    >
    > That's exactly what I was going to say. Where's ABCGi? He is more
    > respected there than me :D

    Sif not respect Bateau :) I can ask - but what are we
    going to ask for?

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    >> That's exactly what I was going to say. Where's ABCGi? He is more
    >> respected there than me :D
    >

    > Sif not respect Bateau :) I can ask - but what are we
    > going to ask for?

    To be honest, I was thinking about ASCII images of Doom Weapons and
    items. I don't have an idea tough, how to plug such "more info on item"
    to the interface. Also, remakes of the monsters might be cool -- but I
    doubt they would color them...
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> +1:
    >> "mode con cp select=473" returns
    >> The code page specified is not valid.
    >
    > Hmm... No idea :-)

    That's the error I get running your batch file,
    if I do it line by line.

    >> -1:
    >> TAB - target cycle is in the keybindings text after
    >> all. ;) like twice or so ! doh
    >
    > I don't get it ?

    I was saying I'm an idiot :)

    >> -1:
    >> You mention redefinition of keybindings in ini file
    >> so I can make 'G' the Unload command. I think more
    >> users if they don't have to edit ini file though.
    >
    > What do you suggest?

    Like you said an options menu that effectively
    just edits the ini file... bit of effort though
    for not much gameplay reward. Depends how "perfect"
    you want this thing.... muwhahahah!

    >> +1:
    >> If have a bleeding state - need to have a bandage
    >> command feature?
    >
    > Nah, that would be complicating things.

    True. Of course taking a med kit would save
    you from bleeding to death - does it also
    stop the bleeding - it should.

    >> +1:
    >> RunOverItems = TRUE; - fair nuff :)
    >
    > :-D
    >
    >> auto names is cool too
    >
    > You just discovered it? ;-)

    Yeah - mesa stoopid ;)

    >> But % gibs still stop the run and you can't
    >> run over them even standing adjacent, or if
    >> standing on them and there is an item next
    >> door (even with above on)... ie needs a bit
    >> of work.
    >
    > Okay, okay, I'll do that :)

    Did I mention that gibs stop the run command...
    not sure if I did... ;P

    >> +1:
    >> Mention on save that it will be loaded on next level.
    >> "You camp on the way down the stairs" or something...
    >> or a confirmation ... load/save works though...
    >
    > Hmm, ok.

    kinda pedantic though isn't it... I just got a surprise
    first time I loaded to be on a new level!

    >> +1:
    >> No error message generated if you assign the same key
    >> to two actions, and only one action is performed.
    >
    > It might be hard to check on that. But I can see to it.

    It is kind of easy to do when manually editing... well
    for non-geeks anyway.

    >> Keybindings help text is not adjusted to what is set
    >> in the ini file.
    >
    > True, so isn't the manual.txt. I might add "Default" to it tough.

    Yeah bit easier to say "Default Keybindings" ;)

    >> +1:
    >> A turn counter or some indication of wait turns passing...
    >
    > Hmm, where?

    bottom right...?

    >> +1:
    >> Be nice to assign more than one key to an action...
    >
    > Unfortunately that's an issue with Valkyrie I think.. I'll look to that.

    Only nice to have anyway.

    >> +1: An alternative pickup key that never picks up weapons
    >> only unloads them, but picks up everything else.
    >
    > Oh come on! Soooo easy?

    True - mesa lazy...

    How about an auto pickup mode - actually forget that.

    >> +1: Don't make the same loading sound when they try to
    >> switch to a weapon they don't have.
    >
    > Hmm, ok.
    >
    >> +1:
    >> Real time clock timer and a fast player alternative high
    >> score list AND/OR added to standard high score scoring.
    >
    > ??

    Like speed chess. A real time clock counts as you play, to
    see how fast you can defeat the game. Or on harder skill
    levels you have to find the stairs before timer runs out
    or your health starts draining ("poison gas is filling
    the chamber!").

    These are all really just extras - the game is brilliant
    in its own right - I'm just finding whatever I can, which
    isn't much!

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >>> -1:
    >>> TAB - target cycle is in the keybindings text after
    >>> all. ;) like twice or so ! doh
    >>

    >> I don't get it ?
    >
    > I was saying I'm an idiot :)

    An that's a -1? Unfair :-D

    >>> -1:
    >>> You mention redefinition of keybindings in ini file
    >>> so I can make 'G' the Unload command. I think more
    >>> users if they don't have to edit ini file though.
    >>
    >> What do you suggest?
    >
    > Like you said an options menu that effectively
    > just edits the ini file... bit of effort though
    > for not much gameplay reward. Depends how "perfect"
    > you want this thing.... muwhahahah!

    True ;-). I may make something like an Config-File-Edit module for
    Valkyrie though -- and it would be reusable for
    DiabloRL/GenRogue/Anyother game I make/Anyone using Vaklyrie.

    >>> +1:
    >>> If have a bleeding state - need to have a bandage
    >>> command feature?
    >>

    >> Nah, that would be complicating things.
    >
    > True. Of course taking a med kit would save
    > you from bleeding to death - does it also
    > stop the bleeding - it should.

    It does ;-)

    >>> auto names is cool too
    >>
    >> You just discovered it? ;-)
    >
    > Yeah - mesa stoopid ;)

    You know ABCGi is among them ;-).

    >>> +1: An alternative pickup key that never picks up weapons
    >>> only unloads them, but picks up everything else.
    >>
    >> Oh come on! Soooo easy?
    >
    > True - mesa lazy...
    >
    > How about an auto pickup mode - actually forget that.

    LOL ;-)
    Considering the limited inventory space, that's not wise.

    > Like speed chess. A real time clock counts as you play, to
    > see how fast you can defeat the game. Or on harder skill
    > levels you have to find the stairs before timer runs out
    > or your health starts draining ("poison gas is filling
    > the chamber!").

    Fast in realtime you mean? Cool ;-)
    BTW -- I was thinking about lava/acid flooding levels...

    > These are all really just extras - the game is brilliant
    > in its own right - I'm just finding whatever I can, which
    > isn't much!

    But good. I need to work mostly on replayability now (it's low) any ideas?
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Due to Pascal's original purpose as a teaching language it forces one
    to learn good habits - and those good habits stay with you, even when
    you later migrate to a much more forgiving language." - Sherm Pendley
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> Like you said an options menu that effectively
    >> just edits the ini file... bit of effort though
    >> for not much gameplay reward. Depends how "perfect"
    >> you want this thing.... muwhahahah!
    >
    > True ;-). I may make something like an Config-File-Edit module for
    > Valkyrie though -- and it would be reusable for
    > DiabloRL/GenRogue/Anyother game I make/Anyone using Vaklyrie.

    Well, then, we can expect to see it, oh, probably shortly after
    GenRogue's first release. ;)

  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >>> Like you said an options menu that effectively
    >>> just edits the ini file... bit of effort though
    >>> for not much gameplay reward. Depends how "perfect"
    >>> you want this thing.... muwhahahah!
    >>

    >> True ;-). I may make something like an Config-File-Edit module for
    >> Valkyrie though -- and it would be reusable for
    >> DiabloRL/GenRogue/Anyother game I make/Anyone using Vaklyrie.
    >
    > Well, then, we can expect to see it, oh, probably shortly after
    > GenRogue's first release. ;)

    *giggles*
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >

    >> hmmm I didn't explain that very well...
    >>
    >> MUSIC4 = "music/e1m1"
    >>
    >> if e1m1.mp3 exist use it, otherwise use e1m1.mid
    >> requires renaming "11 - hangar.mid" to e1m1.mid
    >
    > Yes, but this way, the MIDI's wont work "out of the box".

    Ah. But midi's so small - when will you ever not
    distribute them with your game?

    Anyway I'm just being fussy - but most ppl will want
    MP3's.

    >>> LOL! My friend had such an autoexec.bat on his DOS machine!
    >>>
    >>> If you want I can add an option in the ini-file -- RESTARTATDEATH ?
    >>
    >> Yes please :)
    >
    > Ok ;-)

    Ta :)

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> Yes, but this way, the MIDI's wont work "out of the box".
    >
    > Ah. But midi's so small - when will you ever not
    > distribute them with your game?

    Copyright issues :-(.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Well, the philosophy of the World of Shadows is based on most of the
    degenerate, immoral and foremost amoral philosophical beliefs of our
    world exagarated to the maximum." --Anubis
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >>> But they're licenced :-(. I don't know how much of an infraction is
    >>> that. Maybe a confirmation page that appears after clicking download
    >>> would be enough? I mean that those MIDIs and WAVs are available at
    >>> any editing site, and I just packaged them in...
    >>
    >> I thought Id released Doom into the public domain or
    >> open source. Or is this just the source code.
    >
    > Just the source code. You can't get all 3 episodes legaly without paying.

    Oh I see. Bummer. *backs out of room*

    >>> :-). I wonder what more can be added there.
    >>
    >> #times bleeding
    >
    > I don't know if it's of any revelance ;-)

    I love little stats like that, and its not hard to collect.

    >> #times under 10% health
    >
    > This OTOH may be -- although it would be hard to count -- example -- you
    > get shot, go 7%hp (check). Now you get shot again -- 6% (check? if not,
    > then how to differentiate between the former? -- ok, a flag), now medkit
    > -- 31%. Hit again, hit again -- 10% (check?)

    The idea is how many times you get close to death. So I guess
    back up above 50% will reset the check.

    #times near death:

    >> #real time clock of playtime
    >
    > Hard ;-). I'm not much into reltime clocks in FP. But doable.
    >
    >> #real time/turn average
    >
    > Kheh ;-). Would be in miliseconds I guess...

    Yeah this idea is a bit wacky.

    *SNIP*

    >>> You mean an "options" menu instead?
    >>
    >> Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
    >> the lowest common denominator ;)
    >
    > Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...

    True - don't want to waste your time.

    *SNIP*

    >>> ??
    >>
    >> On the intro, should it go to the next page automatically
    >> after 10 seconds.
    >
    > Not everybody reads so fast :-D. Okay, okay, kiddin.

    Not very important anyway.

    *SNIP*

    >>> AI needs a redesign, I know ;-)
    >>
    >> Oh but what I meant was my target aim should stay where
    >> it was last turn if no monsters around so I can "strafe"
    >> across empty space.
    >
    > So if no monsters around, then target relative last square?

    I shoot at an empty square, if no monsters around
    leave target at same square next time I hit 'f'
    rather than reseting it back to my body. I can
    then adjust my aim slightly to strafe the black space.

    >>> Oh come on ;-). How do you imagine that interface wise?
    >>
    >> Press '1' equip pistol
    >> Press '1' again equip dual pistol (if 2nd pistol exist)
    >
    > No way! I won't go into the two weapons under one key pitfall again! Die
    > QuickKey code!

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Now I remember...

    SHIFT 1 to dual wield? There is a RL that already
    does dual wield with guns and it works sweet.

    >> Press 'r'eload reloads first pistol if required
    >> Press 'r'eload reloads second pistol if first pistol full
    >>
    >> In the words of Ben Stiller: "DO IT!!!!" ;)
    >
    > Uhhh....

    "Starskey and Hutch"

    >>> I want someone to post a YASD or YAVP on rgr.misc! I'm eager to see
    >>> how people play...
    >>
    >> Haven't done either yet :) Also don't really have any exciting
    >> screenies either yet!
    >
    > Please do! ;-)

    You got it... thanks again for the game.

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> I don't know if it's of any revelance ;-)
    >
    > I love little stats like that, and its not hard to collect.

    But I think it would be statisticaly average -- it doesn't depend on
    anything except RNG.

    >>> #times under 10% health
    >>
    >> This OTOH may be -- although it would be hard to count -- example --
    >> you get shot, go 7%hp (check). Now you get shot again -- 6% (check? if
    >> not, then how to differentiate between the former? -- ok, a flag), now
    >> medkit -- 31%. Hit again, hit again -- 10% (check?)
    >
    > The idea is how many times you get close to death. So I guess
    > back up above 50% will reset the check.

    Ah. Hmm... two flags I guess.

    >>> Oh but what I meant was my target aim should stay where
    >>> it was last turn if no monsters around so I can "strafe"
    >>> across empty space.
    >>
    >> So if no monsters around, then target relative last square?
    >
    > I shoot at an empty square, if no monsters around
    > leave target at same square next time I hit 'f'
    > rather than reseting it back to my body. I can
    > then adjust my aim slightly to strafe the black space.

    Hmm, ok.

    >>> Press '1' equip pistol
    >>> Press '1' again equip dual pistol (if 2nd pistol exist)
    >>
    >> No way! I won't go into the two weapons under one key pitfall again!
    >> Die QuickKey code!
    >
    > HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Now I remember...
    >
    > SHIFT 1 to dual wield? There is a RL that already
    > does dual wield with guns and it works sweet.

    Don't you see that that is a QuickKey monster, just in disguise? ;-)

    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "It's much easier to make an army of dumb good people than to
    make one single smart good guy..." -- DarkGod
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    >>> In the words of Ben Stiller: "DO IT!!!!" ;)
    >>
    >> Uhhh....
    >
    > "Starskey and Hutch"

    Who?, Who?, and Who?

Games Video Games