Can someone clarify

G

The difference bewteen DDR ram and RIMM, and SDRAM..

I know SDRAM is synchronus, goes up to PC-150 (right?), RIMM is Intell's rimjob.. i mean rambus, not sure aobut DDR, is that amd's version of the rim chip?

Also, can someone explain the differnce between clock speed, bus speed, PCI slot speed (the 3x/4x thing)?

Thankee

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
DDR stands for Double Data Rate. IT is simply twice as fast as the ordinary SDRAM, now simetimes referred to as SDR-SDRAM. In order to use it you will need a new motherboard. It is more of an open standard than RDRAM.

The speed of the motherboard is usually referred to as the FSB (Front Side Bus) Speed. for Early celerons, it is 66Mhz. But the most common ones these days is 100MHz or 133MHz. It gets more complicated. With DDR m/boards they are called 200MHz and 266MHz (i.e. 2x100MHz and 2x133MHz respectively).

The CPU speed is a multiple of the FSB Speed. Thats where the Multiplier value comes in (the 3x/4x thing you were talking about, but now its mor like 8x/9x/10x...).

The PCI speed is Always 33MHz (Unless the FSB is overclocked). I wouldn't recommend until you have a grasp of all of this.

But, in case you are interested...

Overclocking is when you modify these speed settings to have the system, namely the cpu, working at a higher speed than it intended to, succesfully might I add. You can overclock your system in two ways.

1. Increase the clock multiplier.
2. Increase the bus speed.

If you are gonna overclock the system, Try to increase the clock multiplier. This will only increase, the CPU speed. If you increase the FSB speed, most of the components (memory, PCI bus etc.) in the system will also be overclocked which can make the system unstable, also leaving a much smaller room for overclocking the system.

Final thing! If you are going to overclock. Make sure you have adequate cooling. Otherwise you can have a fried system.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>