Why would anyone use Fahrenheit to Temp? Isnt C...

G

isnt Celcius more common?

I mean Why do some use Celcius like me which is the standard
and others use F etc..
??

Seems very odd

Isn't there one that should be used as normal so everyone understands? Like the English language?

heheh everytime i read F C im getting all confused

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually the real standard is Kelvin...

<i><font color=purple>Running within specs is the key to a stable computer!</font color=purple></i>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Celcius is more common. Kelvin is the scientific Standard Measuring unit for temperature.

Like have you ever seen anyone measure light in candela, or weight (Which is actually a force) in Newtons.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Of course I use Celcius too...
...but shouldn't that be "mass" instead of "weight"?

<i><font color=purple>Running within specs is the key to a stable computer!</font color=purple></i>

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oops... mistake!

G

i do all the time! 735 newtons if i'm ever asked how much i weigh.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your reasoning is quite unique.

For example, you say, "Isn't there one that should be used as normal so everyone understands? Like the English language?"

1) English isn't the universal language, despite what American's might want to think.

2) The English language has so many regional dialects that even native English speakers can still have problems understanding one another when put into the same room and forced to talk.

3) Measuring degrees in Fahrenheit comes from the English Standard, which is still used by many English-speaking countries.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I'd like to hear a conversation between someone from Alabama u.s, Jamaica (never been there so don't know 'bout any regional dialects), and someone from newcastle u.k. (all with strong accents)

I think would prove your point.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I can understand most enlgish dialects, without training. It's those tribal accents of certain Africans that make it confusing, not the words they use.

Suicide is painless...........

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
English engineering units were 'invented' by 10,000 different scientists/engineers in 10,000 different labs/conditions, mostly in England (Surprise!). There were a few 'conferences' held in Europe, and the metric system was founded (or Systeme International d'Unites). Here's the deal with Farenheit and Celcius.

It takes 1 British thermal Unit (BTU) of energy, to raise the temperature of 1 pound mass pure water (H2O), 1 degree Farenheit. There's actually a specific temperature reference, like from 34 to 35 degrees Farenheit, but I can't remember the temperature.

It takes 1 Joule of energy to raise the temperature of 1 mL of pure water by 1 degree Celcius. Again there's a specific temperature reference, but it escapes me.

Metric units use a mechanical basis, which makes conversions from thermal/electrical/mechanical just a movement of the decimal. It's much easier for me to think/convert/extropolate in metic than it is in english. You use exponents quite a bit more with metric calculations, and prefixes are used extensively (Mega, Giga, Tera, milli, micro, nano)

But if distances in America were suddenly given in meters/kilometers, there would be food shortages, riots, satellites crashing into Mars, gasoline price wars, prison overpopulation, etc. Mass Hysteria?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
LoL, this shows up mere hours after I post a temperature reading in Farenheit. I think I get the clue... :wink:

(however, I *did* put it in Celcius also. Farenheit is what I was raised knowing, but I do make an effort to know how to convert)

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
F is only used in America for the weather. For anything else it isn't useful. All science is done in SI units. Otherwise you get stupid problems when you convert units and spacecraft crash.

:) :(

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>