[DoomRL] Lotsa Bugs

Last response: in Video Games
a b α HP
April 30, 2005 12:22:33 AM

- You can close the door on yourself, and enemies, effectively putting
you in a wall. Though you can walk out of it, you can't hit a enemy in
a door with any non-explosive weapon, and i'd guess the same would be
true for you.

- Multiple death messages show, even after 0 HP is reached. This
happens when enemies can fire more then one shot, and kill you on a
early shot. Lets say a former human commander shoots his plasma rifle
at you, and kills you on the fourth shot. There would be *5* more death
messages, since you "die" on the fourth shot, and every shot after
that.

- Target range limited to your "normal" view distance; if you get cat's
eye once or twice, you can't target onto the extra one/two tiles you
get from it.

- Switches still appear in walls. :)

- Aim is STILL screwed up. You can shotgun enemies that are around
corners; the green aimer line turns red even when you *can* shoot them;
you can't shoot on a corner like:
@/.
..#X
Because the target line goes right into the wall... even though the
line is green.

- Eagle eye does *NOT* give the +4 to hit it says it does; it gives a
+3.

- Enemies can fire at you, even before you know they're at that
location. Ex: Low on health. You walk up to a door, and hear enemy
sounds close by. You open the door; Nothing in sight. You step to the
tile where the door is, and *BLAM* you're dead. Even before you get to
see your character "@" step onto the open doorway "/". I know, it may
seem somewhat realistic, but it's a pain in the arse not knowing - or
even seeing - what the hell shot and/or killed you, until the mortem
file rolls up onto the screen.

Hey, lucky 7! Maybe these will be the only bugs in this version...

More about : doomrl lotsa bugs

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 30, 2005 9:37:31 PM

Whah! You want to scare people away from DoomRL with such a topic? :-)

Mechanoid wrote:
> - You can close the door on yourself, and enemies, effectively putting
> you in a wall. Though you can walk out of it, you can't hit a enemy in
> a door with any non-explosive weapon, and i'd guess the same would be
> true for you.

Duh! This must be there from the beginning! Funny nobody noticed it
before :-D (maybe just realy few people close doors at all).

Easy to fix, will be ok in the next release.

> - Multiple death messages show, even after 0 HP is reached. This
> happens when enemies can fire more then one shot, and kill you on a
> early shot. Lets say a former human commander shoots his plasma rifle
> at you, and kills you on the fourth shot. There would be *5* more death
> messages, since you "die" on the fourth shot, and every shot after
> that.

Aaah, yeah I know. Each release I'm too lazy to fix that...

> - Target range limited to your "normal" view distance; if you get cat's
> eye once or twice, you can't target onto the extra one/two tiles you
> get from it.

Another one. I'll fix that for 0.9.9.

> - Switches still appear in walls. :)

And another one ;-). I'll fix that for 0.9.9.

?

> the green aimer line turns red even when you *can* shoot them;
> you can't shoot on a corner like:
> @/.
> .#X
> Because the target line goes right into the wall... even though the
> line is green.

Oh yes. I didn't touch the targeting code for a long time.

> - Eagle eye does *NOT* give the +4 to hit it says it does; it gives a
> +3.

True :-). That was left delibarately, so people would give it a shot. I
did that, becasue it turned out that eagle eye gave no bonus at all before!

> - Enemies can fire at you, even before you know they're at that
> location. Ex: Low on health. You walk up to a door, and hear enemy
> sounds close by. You open the door; Nothing in sight. You step to the
> tile where the door is, and *BLAM* you're dead. Even before you get to
> see your character "@" step onto the open doorway "/". I know, it may
> seem somewhat realistic, but it's a pain in the arse not knowing - or
> even seeing - what the hell shot and/or killed you, until the mortem
> file rolls up onto the screen.

I don't think this should be called a bug ;-). Actually I think that's
kinda cute ^_^

> Hey, lucky 7! Maybe these will be the only bugs in this version...

Phew! No crash bugs this time :-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Another one, I think:

Version 0.9.8 for Windows seems to set MIDI volume to maximum every
time a new level loads. This is pretty annoying, since optimum volume
is around half for me, and I've got to turn it down each time a new
level loads. Not really a bug, just an annoying feature. :p
a b α HP
May 2, 2005 2:40:13 AM

Mertek wrote:
> Another one, I think:
>
> Version 0.9.8 for Windows seems to set MIDI volume to maximum every
> time a new level loads. This is pretty annoying, since optimum volume
> is around half for me, and I've got to turn it down each time a new
> level loads. Not really a bug, just an annoying feature. :p

MIDI volume will be ini-file configurable in the next version.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Come on, Kornel. 11 years and no binary? And it's not
vapourware?" -- Mike Blackney
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 3, 2005 4:59:19 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Mertek wrote:
>
>> Another one, I think:
>>
>> Version 0.9.8 for Windows seems to set MIDI volume to maximum every
>> time a new level loads. This is pretty annoying, since optimum volume
>> is around half for me, and I've got to turn it down each time a new
>> level loads. Not really a bug, just an annoying feature. :p

No that qualifies as a bug in my book! :)

> MIDI volume will be ini-file configurable in the next version.

Can we get a "x of y known bugs fixed" message in the release
text of the next version KK? ;P

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

ABCGi wrote:
>> MIDI volume will be ini-file configurable in the next version.
>
> Can we get a "x of y known bugs fixed" message in the release
> text of the next version KK? ;P

There isn't an official list of known bugs yet. :-/

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively
complex design." -- RGRD FAQ
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 3, 2005 7:16:54 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>> MIDI volume will be ini-file configurable in the next version.
>>
>> Can we get a "x of y known bugs fixed" message in the release
>> text of the next version KK? ;P
>
> There isn't an official list of known bugs yet. :-/

How 'bout - a list of bugs I haven't fixed yet in the
release.txt ? Save ppl finding bugs twice...

--
!