Sign in with
Your question

What's so hot about AMD processors? Read this pls.

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2001 7:22:19 PM

I have a Spitfire 800

Currenty running at 40 Celcius

Max it goes it.. 42-43

Now ive built many other systems currenty this heat issue is coming up, the past 5 systems i built for people
i told them to leave it on for 24 hours, just to get everything working.. Plus the monitor was all smelly and new fromt he plastic,
ANYHOW... the max there's got was 40 too around mine

well thats the big deal?
My old k6-2 350 was at 50 C steady even 55 even and it was fine for years..

I don't get it?

People with heat problems are you living on some volcaco or someting?

Just i want your opion.
How come all the systems ive built and mine are only 40 c or so
thats nothing
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2001 8:05:18 PM

Some people like to Overclock their CPU's and when they do, it's nice to keep it cool... For me it's mainly so that when i'm in a small room with my fuckin hot cpu (50C) it doesn't make me feel hot and stuffy, a LAN with about 10comps in one small room can heat up VERY quickly to about 55C at which point you start becoming tired and fainting..

mauuahaaha

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...
March 15, 2001 6:56:38 PM

So mine is at 29 degrees celcius

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
Related resources
March 16, 2001 4:08:45 AM

How is a cpu or case fan going to help that? Laws of thermodynamics state you are not removing heat from the environment, you are just spreading it around. It only will make a difference if you dissipate the heat from your cpu/pc to ANOTHER room if you are circulating the same air in your room, it will get hotter, irrespective of CPU cooling (unless you are using a medium other than air to cool (liquid nitrogen, external water cooler etc.)

Anything that is 'closed' system will just get hotter as you are piping energy in that power cable. Your CPU converts some of the to heat (as does the HDD, PSU, monitor, Video etc.) If that air then does not get cooled by A/c or venting with cooler (outside) air it will just get hotter...

-Your Comany Names Could Be Here-
e-mail for application details.
March 16, 2001 4:10:52 AM

Hi,

Are you talking Athlon, Duron, Coppermine, Celeron, P4 or yes?

Just curious if some CPUs are considered more heat durable. My ASUS mobo wont alarm on the PIII cpu until 67C at the lowest...

March 16, 2001 4:51:17 AM

Yes - I have.

What you are describing is correct to a finite point. In The Audiophile's case however the situation is describing a 'small' room and sometimes rooms with 10 PCs.

In this case you will find that the room air heats up (since the cpu amongst others is heating it). Diffusion is just the transfer and dissipation of hot air amongst cooler air (as you correctly mention) however the net effect is that all the air gets hotter.

My point to Audiophile was that a cpu coller has absolutely no bearing on whether the room with the PC in 'feels' hot and stuffy. It will get hot more evenly with a CPU fan actually.

Diffusion of heat in a finite space = net rise in temperature. Okay - the walls will absorb some heat and if it is cold outside the windows will cool things down too - but it sounds like this person's soom gets hot and I have absolutely no idea what a cpu coller has to do with making it feel colder!!!!!!!!

March 16, 2001 7:13:05 AM

That is why you have windows or airconditioning.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 12:46:19 PM

Thanks for that Pete..
1) i was talking about a lan, and the room is only small when you're talking about 10PC's in it! Normally it's ok, and the heat diffuses with the air in the house, as long as your door is open, the windows are open and the general temperature of your environment is cooler than the air coming out of the computer, you're going to be COOLING the cpu!

2) sometimes, air coolers are better than nothing... I personally can't afford/be bothered with water cooling.

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 12:48:45 PM

I'm aware of that

March 16, 2001 7:23:27 PM

I agree. They wil have to use something else because the wattage will continue to increase unless everyone adapts the pure silicon idea that AMD is incorporating into Palomino.

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 16, 2001 8:32:18 PM

Simply think of this. In a very hot damn summer, you are in a completely closed CASE in a room. How do you keep your brain cool use a FAN. whether it extinguishes heat or not, the FAN will keep you cool to survive. If the CASE has some ventilation holes it's better.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 9:18:45 PM

Of course that prediction is right wusy, i mean, it's obvious! With the increases in speed and therefore temperature that we are seeing in today's chips, we can expect to see the Ghz range reaching into the double digits, i believe Intel has speculated about a 20Ghz CPU but this is yet again, only a rumour, don't take my word for it.

Unless a new form of heatsink material is created, one that dissapates heat much more efficiently, within the time it takes for the CPU to reach the 2ghz range and beyond, then the manufacturers of HSF's are going to go up in, pardon the pun, Smoke... =]

Liquid Nitrogen looks to be the high-end of the scale when it comes to other means of cooling, possible dry ice next, which i personally believe will be the way to go (other than the fact that it's hard to keep) and then Water will become the HSF of the 2ghz's... It will fall in price, more companies will design it, and it will be microsized to fit conveniently into the computer.

Either that or we'll find a way to reduce the temperature, possibly an even smaller micron level than the .10 that sony etc are working one... In theory, it will be much cooler, whilst still being hellishly fast.

March 16, 2001 9:51:25 PM

I think liquid nitrogen will be adapted. I mean, it's so friggin cheap......

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 9:59:12 PM

True, but very hard to stablise. Most people will need to get it done professionally otherwise they'd probably freeze their fingers off, amoung other bits..

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 11:12:54 PM

yeah, you use a fan to cool off in a hot room, but only because the air from other parts of the room isn't as warm as the air around you, and because the dry air evaporates your sweat. if you didn't sweat and the air throughout the room was the same temperature, the fan wouldn't do squat.

not to say, of course, that case ventilation isn't useful. if your entire room is reaching the same temperature as your cpu, you probably have your computer in a sealed and insulated closet with no windows.
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2001 5:26:08 AM

Does it get hotter in Tiawan than in Central Michigan? 35-38C in the summer! And -10C in the winter! Griz can beet that though!

Suicide is painless...........
March 17, 2001 2:26:49 PM

No I can't. I am more southern (or on the exact longitude line) than central michigan :tongue:

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2001 8:53:14 PM

Wimp! No wonder you are called wusy! 32C common, 38C occasionally, with 90% humididty in July-August in Central Michigan. And most people do NOT have AC! And it gets COLD in the winter! And old people start droping off at both extremes!

March 17, 2001 9:50:14 PM

This is all relative. It gets into the 40's here during the summer, but it's dry. In other parts the humidity at a lower temp even is much worse. I'm not a big humidity fan...

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>
March 17, 2001 9:59:05 PM

Temperature is associated on a simple level with the movement of atoms and their collisions. So of course a closed system will see a rapid increase in temperature. However, a room is not a closed system. The walls, windows, air, door, EVERYTHING are going to be basically cooler than the inside of a computer case. So the point of the fans is to bring the cool air in and the hot air out.

Now obviously the size of the room and climate make a big difference. I doubt you could do much with a computer in the Mohave dessert etc. Air conditioning is a must since no matter how many fans or how big the room is, the temperature just won't drop.

Why would you have 10 computers in a room with no air conditioning in the first place?

Even a refrigerator can heat up a room if the room is small enough (assuming you don't open it :) 

My family once forgot to turn the heat off in our pool. It was 115 F outside and 110 F in the pool. Made it kind of pointless to jump in. It was so hot that I couldn't swim to the other side of the pool.

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>
March 17, 2001 10:02:00 PM

I'd like to say, in real life there is no such thing as a 'closed system'.

There is always something that tampers with any given situation.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
March 18, 2001 2:21:44 AM

haha bunch of suckers i get perfect weather all year! we barely get any snow at all and in the summer it's barely ever over 32C!!!! Always extremely humid though :frown: (cause of lake erie).

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2001 6:28:27 AM

Hey, I used to live near Lake Michigan. Lake effect cooling in the summer. Lake affect warming in the winter. And lake effect precipitation all hear long (mostly about 10 miles inland, where the warm moist air hit the cold dry air in the winter-I would watch snowstorm clouds pass over my house and hear horror stories from the next town over).

March 18, 2001 3:24:59 PM

LOL Same here, the stuff ALWAYS missed us and gets everything about 10miles away hehe.

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2001 7:37:25 PM

But the only reason it's so nice and warm and sunny where you live is that you have an overclocked Athlon! Hot air rises, creating a high pressure area above your house! I should take a glider over there to see if I can catch the updraft!

March 18, 2001 7:42:03 PM

watercooled at 28C! HAHAHAHAHAH

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 18, 2001 9:05:38 PM

Not a system just as in a computer system, but a system from a scentific point of view. Anything can be deemed a system, just define its function, its input and output and thats it.

a b à CPUs
March 19, 2001 1:00:01 AM

Yes, and all that heat comming our of the radiator is going staight out to the atmosphere, probably melted all the snow around your house!

March 19, 2001 7:09:36 PM

but what you missed is that there is no radiator :smile:

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2001 9:07:52 PM

What do you use then, a constant flow from the tap?

March 19, 2001 10:17:28 PM

presicely. Although not quite from the tap. waterpipe in basement :smile:

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 12:01:17 AM

No wonder Lake Erie is warming up! And they said it was because of your nuclear power plant!

March 20, 2001 12:27:40 AM

thought it was your nuclear power plant?

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 2:16:53 AM

Wasn't that a Canadian power plant that vented all that extremely low radiation water to Lake Erie?

March 21, 2001 12:35:49 AM

no radiator remember?

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 21, 2001 5:38:04 AM

you guys all suck.
I live in Alabama.
temps around 15-32F winter, 90-110F summer with 90% humidity. I don't know the C on this, but 35C is about 80F right?

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2001 5:56:13 AM

where I live we can get -30c, some winters we get -35cto-40c. During summer we get at least 35c and a max of 50c, live next to a lake too, not as big as the great lakes but still makes it humid during summer. I just can't win.
March 21, 2001 7:21:36 PM

80F is about 30

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2001 5:33:43 AM

F = 9/5 * C + 32
C = 5/9 * F - 17.777

approximately that is
March 22, 2001 8:50:48 AM

I use C=(F-32)*5/9.

its better than C = 5/9 * F - 17.777

March 22, 2001 10:11:24 AM

Of course you do, you're 14. Calculators are probably being used in 1st grade now. Do you know what a slide rule is?
March 22, 2001 10:21:55 AM

Sorry, I underestimated you, Wusy. BTW we called it a slide rule where I come from (US).
March 22, 2001 2:01:01 PM

There are a couple of arguements against seeing liquid nitrogen or vapochill or even water cooling in standard OEM computers.

First off, compressors and water pumps are too big, expensive, and complex for consumer electronics. These limits are physical in nature and cannot be overcome with new fabrication techniques or technologies. They will doubtfully ever make in into mainstream computers.

As CPUs become more advanced, they are produced using smaller transistors which require less energy and produce less heat. CPUs have always taken heat and power consumption into their design, and CPU manufacturers will continue to do so. You will not see a CPU on the market that cannot run within spec with standard air cooling.

There are many technologies in the pipe that will inexpensively improve upon current air cooling techniques. The clean silicon already in use by the Palamino is one. Another is a new silicon based technology that uses electric current to quickly and efficiently move heat. This will allow cores to become more dense, and heat disipation to be integrated into the CPU. You will have CPUs that look more like the 486, Pentium, or K6, with the core buried within the CPU and a high efficiency heat plate with this new technology piping the heat evenly from the CPU to it, allowing a standard heat sink, or perhaps a large or more advanced one, to pull heat that much more efficiently. Standard die shrinkage, and more heat-friendly core designs will also occur.

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2001 3:48:27 AM

that's a lot of water... a mid tower can barely fit that much!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2001 4:10:31 AM

i can't find the links right now but i have actually see a couple of small oem's sell water cooled systems. you tell them what parts you want they quote you a price and for an extra $200 or so the send you a ready to go water cooled system. much cheaper to do it yourself... but isn't it always. also it takes 1L or less to water cool a system.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2001 3:17:37 AM

wow, you guys must really have read into this cooling stuff... but i got the BEST idea.

Most to Alaska, drill some wholes in your wall for CD-ROM, DISK, etc... and leave the computer outside. It would suck to upgrade [-peep-] though haha. you could probably run like tbird 1ghz to like 2ghz in the winters (probably like -10-20C )
March 27, 2001 4:29:29 AM

Minus 10 20 mwahahahahahahaha try minus 30 40 thats what im used to with a tad of windchill makes it really nice minus 50. Thats just starting to get cold:) 

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2001 5:45:08 AM

maybe you should plug the processor all the way into it's socket..then check temperature
July 11, 2001 1:35:47 PM

Hehehe, think I beat you all. Temps can reach -40 C here in Canada. Only prob is that the computer is in my room so I can't let the windows open :) 

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair...
July 11, 2001 2:36:32 PM

And why are you dragging up a thread almost 4 months old?

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.
!