Duron

G

I have had no luck on the motherboard posting, so let's try my luck here.

I recently purchase an Asus A7 Pro motherboard with an AMD Duron 800. It has been nothing but frustrating. I replaced a QDI Brillianx9 and a Celeron 466. When I installed the new board and CPU, I formatted and reinstalled the OS. Now here's the problem. My AGP slot is running at 1X, when it should be at 4. During some games, I get black lines that briefly flash across the screen every so often, if I leave a screen saver on for too long, the computer freezes, and last but not least, if I restart the computer, is sometimes stops right at the desktop without displaying anything except the wallpaper. I talked to AMD, and they were no help, as for Asus, they haven't even responded yet. Here is what I have in the system. An Asus V7700 Deluxe video card, 256 MB PC133 RAM, a creative Labs sound blaster Live, a Diamond Supra 56K modem, an Acer USB scanner, HP 9110 CDRW, an Acer 50X CDROM, a TTX 17" monitor. I am pretty upset with all of this, and am tempted to turn in the CPU and board for Intel. According to Tom, AMD processors performed better than their Intel counterparts, however, I never encountered issues like this with my Celeron. Someone please help so I can begin to enjoy my new components.

G

Are you that stupid?

It has nothing to do with your processor!

Geeze

If your driving your car and you get a flat tire do you say
im trading the car in hahahahaha

Geeze man

Something is set wrong or configured wrong....
Get your manual motherbaord manual and go thru all the settings in Cmos one by one.

Next take out your sound card and only use your video card
and see what happens..
Also make sure you have the motherboard set right all of the jumpers etc..
and have the latest drivers for everything.

G

Appearantly I am that stupid, but then again I guess not all of us can be graced with your brilliance.

Thanks for the info anyway, and BTW, I figured it was more motherboard than processor, but since no one responded there, I thought I would try here, and it worked.

Perhaps not so stupid after all.

G

Sorry i didn't mean to call you stupid

I get tiffed when people blame the processor on any crash or something totally unrelated..
sorry

How are you making out? Find anything wrong?

G

ignore tbirdinside, hes a dick

anyway, my system used to only work in agp 1x, because i had installed the drivers in normal mode. go back, and reinstall them in turbo mode. if you already have done this, then ignore that.

i have HEARD that some of the earlier bios revisions for the a7v really sucked, but im not too sure as i never paid much attention, i dont own an a7v so theres no reason why i shouldve. anyway, try and download the latest bios revision. also try the via 4 in 1 drivers, ver 4.29.

lastly try putting your soundcard in a diff. pci slot, sometimes it makes a difference.

as for those black lines on the screen, sounds like your vid card chip is overheating, but i may be wrong.

well, ive done my best. and pleeeease ignore tbirdinside.

good luck!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: cape does not enable user to fly.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
If you never ment to call him stupid why did you call him stupid?Too the point it might be the processor silly dilly sounds like a heating issue, plays a game then poof. Kinda hard being th operateing system (go win2k) being it was a fresh install. But it could be drivers too, dont worry dude if the processors shot oh well buy a new one IT DOSNT MATTER WHICH ONE EITHER but if I was you I wouldnt give on AMD kust keep tinkering sooner or later youll find out. Great heating test run SETI@Home that little ah heck will see if shes got heat issues. Good luck dude. Remember your always welcome back on our side:)

SPUD

Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man:)

Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man <font color=blue> :smile:

G

You said your previous system was a celeron. I'm guessing that you might have not necessarily had a 300 watt power supply. If this is the case, then your athlon might not be getting enough power.

G

Here's my 2 cents.

My friend has the same motherboard as you, and a Duron 700, and he has the same problem as you when he overclocks his CPU too high. As the other guys said, try to rule out all the possibilities, take out the soundcard, try it, take out anything unneccesary, try it (this also includes extra CD roms and HDD's.. coz if it's a shitty power supply then it may be supply inadaquate power to the CPU and AGP ports which take the most power.

Also, make sure your mobo is set to jumperfree mode and that all the DIPS are in the right positions. This can sometimes make the AGP port run in a strange manner..

ANyway, just my second hand advice..

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

G

Tbirdinside, don't worry about it, I wasn't blaming the CPU though. At any rate.

My video card manual told me to install the drivers in Normal mode, not Turbo mode. I will certainly reinstall them and see if that helps.

My powersupply is 250W. Do you really think that could be an issue.

I did discover last night that both the video card and sound card are using IRQ 11. These seems odd, as I would think that that would cause a conflict, and yet in Device manager it says there are none. I am sure that could be one issue.

As for heating issues, I have monitors on to check for overheating, and yet everything seems to be running within normal temperatures. I will try these suggestions though and see if any help.

Thanks all for your suggestions, I will let you know how it goes.

G

yeh give hom a break everyone has to start you know.....

M

Opinions are like arseholes .... everybody’s got one.... :smile:

G

Slyguy

I have a Tbird 800
cd rom floppy the usual and i am using a 250 Watt power supply and it works fine..
Some power supplies with like dvd, cdrw lots hooked up NEED 300.. its Reccommended for a reason..
but i got by with my 250..
But if you have lots hooked up, i would suggest getting a 300 just because its reccomended. Thats is you have lots hooked up ..