[DoomRl] 0.9.8 Properly YASD this time...

Was doing better this go, but found armour a real pain. Plus you really
need BFG, rockets, double shotgun and chaingun I find, and it's really
hard to manage the ammo. Wanted to ditch the chaingun but it's still
useful for the normal humans that turn up at deep levels, ammo is
easier to find and it's easier not to blow up barrels.

My YASD occured when fighting a baron, down to 6% health and tried to
use a medikit from my inventory by typing: i s, rather than using it
with u a... Unfortunately the game took that s keypress as a move
somehow and the baron got a final shot at me. I believe I've made the
same mistake before, but never noticed them get another move on me
before i correct it with the u menu... Anyway.

Deep levels are really nasty now. Did 13 and 14 with no armour!

DoomRL (v.0.9.8 (WIN-S)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Major Woody, level 6 soldier, killed by a baron of hell
on level 15 of the Phobos base.
He survived 70706 turns and scored 25776 points.

He killed 380 out of 394 hellspawn. (96%)
He held his right to remain violent.

He stormed the Chained Court.
He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
He found the Hell's Armory.

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -4/50 Experience 21872/6
ToHit +3 ToDmg Ranged +0 ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Tough as nails (Level 3)
Eagle Eye (Level 1)
Cateye (Level 2)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor ] blue armor [2/2] (66%)
[ Weapon ] double shotgun (6d3)x2 [0/2]
[c] [ Boots ] protective boots [4/4] (84%)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] rocket launcher (4d4) [1/1]
chaingun (1d6)x5 [50/50]
[c] BFG 9000 (8d8) [100/100]
[d] 10mm ammo (x100)
[e] 10mm ammo (x100)
[f] 10mm ammo (x100)
[g] 10mm ammo (x100)
[h] 10mm ammo (x100)
shotgun shell (x50)
[j] shotgun shell (x50)
[k] shotgun shell (x50)
[l] shotgun shell (x50)
[m] shotgun shell (x20)
[n] rocket (x2)
[o] rocket (x10)
[p] power cell (x20)
[q] power cell (x50)
[r] phase device
large med-pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

58 former humans
60 former human sergeants
34 former human captains
54 imps
56 demons
55 lost souls
12 cacodemons
6 barons of hell
10 hell knights
3 arachnotrons
4 former human commanders

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
On level 2 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 3 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 4 he battled through a maze of rooms.
He then stormed the Chained Court.
On level 5 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 6 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 7 he found a hellish city.
On level 8 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 9 he battled through a maze of rooms.
He then found Hell's Armory.
On level 10 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 11 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 12 he battled through a maze of rooms.
He then ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
On level 13 he found a hellish city.
On level 14 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 15 he found a hellish city.
There finally he was killed by a baron of hell.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 6 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
6 of those were killed.

I downloaded all the mid files to my phone yesterday too. Now have a
rather excellent choice of ringtones :p

Can't wait to play this at home too with the sound turned up! (office
coffee break game for me at the moment, so have to have the sound real
quiet via headphones, boo!)

Personally I think the game only needs a bit more tweaking to be
complete. And then you can get to work on DiabloRL :)

Rich

Dafty wrote:

> Was doing better this go, but found armour a real pain. Plus you really
> need BFG, rockets, double shotgun and chaingun I find, and it's really
> hard to manage the ammo. Wanted to ditch the chaingun but it's still
> useful for the normal humans that turn up at deep levels, ammo is
> easier to find and it's easier not to blow up barrels.
>
> My YASD occured when fighting a baron, down to 6% health and tried to
> use a medikit from my inventory by typing: i s, rather than using it
> with u a... Unfortunately the game took that s keypress as a move
> somehow and the baron got a final shot at me. I believe I've made the

I think the game interpreted that command as an order to equip the medic
pack which is inpossible and so you lost your turn :/ Note that you lose a
turn if you run into a wall too.

> same mistake before, but never noticed them get another move on me
> before i correct it with the u menu... Anyway.
>
> Deep levels are really nasty now. Did 13 and 14 with no armour!

> DoomRL (v.0.9.8 (WIN-S)) roguelike post-mortem character dump
>
> Major Woody, level 6 soldier, killed by a baron of hell
> on level 15 of the Phobos base.
> He survived 70706 turns and scored 25776 points.
>
> He killed 380 out of 394 hellspawn. (96%)
> He held his right to remain violent.
>
> He stormed the Chained Court.
> He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
> He found the Hell's Armory.
>
> -- Statistics ------------------------------------------------
>
> Health -4/50 Experience 21872/6
> ToHit +3 ToDmg Ranged +0 ToDmg Melee +0
>
> -- Traits ----------------------------------------------------
>
> Tough as nails (Level 3)
> Eagle Eye (Level 1)
> Cateye (Level 2)
>
> -- Equipment -------------------------------------------------
>
> [a] [ Armor ] blue armor [2/2] (66%)
> [ Weapon ] double shotgun (6d3)x2 [0/2]
> [c] [ Boots ] protective boots [4/4] (84%)
>
> -- Inventory -------------------------------------------------
>
> [a] rocket launcher (4d4) [1/1]
> chaingun (1d6)x5 [50/50]
> [c] BFG 9000 (8d8) [100/100]
> [d] 10mm ammo (x100)
> [e] 10mm ammo (x100)
> [f] 10mm ammo (x100)
> [g] 10mm ammo (x100)
> [h] 10mm ammo (x100)
> shotgun shell (x50)
> [j] shotgun shell (x50)
> [k] shotgun shell (x50)
> [l] shotgun shell (x50)
> [m] shotgun shell (x20)

I really think you stock up far too much of that ammo. Considering the power
of the double shootgun, you don't need that much ammo to kill everythin
that stands in your way. It was fine to hoard such ammo at first if you
intend to ditch completly either the chaingun or the shootgun.

I would say, keep only 3 stacks max in total of 10mm ammo and shells. Since
you seem to favor the double shootgun, take 100 shells and 100 10mm ammo
for example.

Also, you said that 10mm ammo is easy to find so there is really no reason
to keep that much on you. You would do better to keep one or two spare
armours instead.

> [n] rocket (x2)
> [o] rocket (x10)
> [p] power cell (x20)
> [q] power cell (x50)
> [r] phase device
> large med-pack

Hoard those instead and use the rocket as often as possible, unless you're
low on supplies and you need to pickup fonctional items from the ground :)

> -- Kills -----------------------------------------------------
>
> 58 former humans
> 60 former human sergeants
> 34 former human captains
> 54 imps
> 56 demons
> 55 lost souls
> 12 cacodemons
> 6 barons of hell
> 10 hell knights
> 3 arachnotrons
> 4 former human commanders
>
> -- History ---------------------------------------------------
>
> He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
> On level 2 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 3 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 4 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> He then stormed the Chained Court.
> On level 5 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 6 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 7 he found a hellish city.
> On level 8 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 9 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> He then found Hell's Armory.

Isn't that the place with lots and lots of ammo ? I came out of here with a
pack full of rockets and plasma shots. I think I dropped all shootgun and
chaingun related items for that :) Besides, it's easy enouth to find a new
chaingun if needed and I never wasn't lucky enouth to find the double
shootgun anyway.

Dafty wrote:
> Was doing better this go, but found armour a real pain. Plus you really
> need BFG, rockets, double shotgun and chaingun I find, and it's really
> hard to manage the ammo.

Good :-D

> My YASD occured when fighting a baron, down to 6% health and tried to
> use a medikit from my inventory by typing: i s, rather than using it
> with u a... Unfortunately the game took that s keypress as a move
> somehow and the baron got a final shot at me.

Ouch, sorry :-(.

> I believe I've made the
> same mistake before, but never noticed them get another move on me
> before i correct it with the u menu... Anyway.

I will correct that on the next release.

> Deep levels are really nasty now. Did 13 and 14 with no armour!

;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Dafty wrote:
> I downloaded all the mid files to my phone yesterday too. Now have a
> rather excellent choice of ringtones :p

Great idea! I'll do that too...

> Can't wait to play this at home too with the sound turned up! (office
> coffee break game for me at the moment, so have to have the sound real
> quiet via headphones, boo!)
>
> Personally I think the game only needs a bit more tweaking to be
> complete. And then you can get to work on DiabloRL :)
>
> Rich

The original post prompted yet another DoomRL idea;

IDEA: As PC goes up in experience his name is preceded
by a higher and higher military rank.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!