Problems w/Poison Resistance

My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat at
all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never seen this
before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in the most recent
release?

I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.

Remsleep

Remsleep wrote:
> My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat at
> all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never seen this
> before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in the most recent
> release?
>
> I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.

The latest version of what?! It doesn't say what game you're playing, in
the subject line or in the body text. It sounds like it might be Crawl,
but I'm not going to make any assumptions since this is rgrmisc and the
things that you mention, such as snakes and scorpions and rings of
poison resistance, are fairly generic in roguelikes. Angband has them,
for instance, though it doesn't have "orc fighter" as a race/class
combination, with "half-orc warrior" coming closer. ADOM may well have
even orc fighters...

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11

"Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
> Remsleep wrote:
>> My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat
>> at all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never
>> seen this before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in
>> the most recent release?
>>
>> I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.
>
> The latest version of what?! It doesn't say what game you're playing, in
> the subject line or in the body text. It sounds like it might be Crawl,
> but I'm not going to make any assumptions since this is rgrmisc and the
> things that you mention, such as snakes and scorpions and rings of poison
> resistance, are fairly generic in roguelikes. Angband has them, for
> instance, though it doesn't have "orc fighter" as a race/class
> combination, with "half-orc warrior" coming closer. ADOM may well have
> even orc fighters...

Jeez, some people. Yes, it's crawl, and more perspicacious readers figured
that out. Failing that, a half-civilized reply might have simply asked, "Do
you mean crawl? It's not specified in the subject line," and left out the
gratuitous sarcasm dump. You obviously have a lot of time on your hands.
Why don't you spend it meditating on ways to avoid being a net-nazi.

Remsleep

Remsleep wrote:
> "Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Remsleep wrote:
>>
>>>My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat
>>>at all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never
>>>seen this before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in
>>>the most recent release?
>>>
>>>I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.
>>
>>The latest version of what?! It doesn't say what game you're playing, in
>>the subject line or in the body text. It sounds like it might be Crawl,
>>but I'm not going to make any assumptions since this is rgrmisc and the
>>things that you mention, such as snakes and scorpions and rings of poison
>>resistance, are fairly generic in roguelikes. Angband has them, for
>>instance, though it doesn't have "orc fighter" as a race/class
>>combination, with "half-orc warrior" coming closer. ADOM may well have
>>even orc fighters...
>
> Jeez, some people. Yes, it's crawl, and more perspicacious readers figured
> that out.

How -- by mind reading? As I stated in my post, there's nothing truly
unique to crawl mentioned in the original post -- not one thing to
permit the conclusion to be drawn with 100% certainty that you made.

--

Remsleep wrote:
> My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat at
> all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never seen this
> before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in the most recent
> release?
>
> I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.
>
> Remsleep

My hunch is that some bug surrounding poison resistance was introduced
in the "Oh my" patch. I don't play it myself, so I can't say anything
more than that. You might want to contact Gavin Duggan, who wrote that
patch. I don't know his e-mail offhand, but there are various
communication gadgets for contacting him on this page:

....which contains his post to crawl-dev regarding the patch.

Cheers,

Erik

"Erik Piper" <erNOikSP@skyAM.cz> wrote in message

> My hunch is that some bug surrounding poison resistance was introduced in
> the "Oh my" patch. I don't play it myself, so I can't say anything more
> than that. You might want to contact Gavin Duggan, who wrote that patch. I
> don't know his e-mail offhand, but there are various communication gadgets
> for contacting him on this page:

> ...which contains his post to crawl-dev regarding the patch.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Remsleep

Erik Piper wrote:
> Remsleep wrote:
>
>> My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no
>> threat at all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've
>> never seen this before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been
>> tweaked/nerfed in the most recent release?
>>
>> I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.

> My hunch is that some bug surrounding poison resistance was introduced
> in the "Oh my" patch.

No bug. A feature. Poisoning comes in different sizes (sick, very sick,
extremely sick). Each level of poison resist reduces the level of
poisoning by 1, so if you have enough poison in you to become "very
sick" the ring reduces the effects to "sick" but you still take damage.

Lars

Twisted One wrote:
> Remsleep wrote:

[an unmarked Crawl query with no mention of Crawl]

>> "Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message

[it's impossible to tell what this query is]

>>> Remsleep wrote:

[it is, and I'm angry because you stated that so rudely]

> How -- by mind reading? As I stated in my post, there's nothing truly
> unique to crawl mentioned in the original post -- not one thing to
> permit the conclusion to be drawn with 100% certainty that you made.

This is untrue. None other of the roguelikes regularly discussed in
r.g.r.m. have a "recent release with imps." Or Orc Fighters, for that
matter. While [Gamename] markings help people filter out traffic not
concerning their game and thus it's a shame that it was missing, anyone
knowledgable enough about Crawl to help with his query would, I believe,
recognize those traits.

And in my opinion you you indeed stated your point rudely, which if
nothing else is no help in convincing him of that point... you can catch
more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
>> How -- by mind reading? As I stated in my post, there's nothing truly
>> unique to crawl mentioned in the original post -- not one thing to
>> permit the conclusion to be drawn with 100% certainty that you made.
>
> This is untrue. None other of the roguelikes regularly discussed in
> r.g.r.m. have a "recent release with imps." Or Orc Fighters, for that
> matter.

This is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that isn't
"regularly" discussed in rgrm. A "recent" release is also rather vague
-- depending on how frequently the particular roguelike is updated, its
players might consider "recent" to mean only in the last week, or
anytime in the last year. Also, to be 100% certain someone would have to
know with certainty that no other roguelikes in existence met any of
these criteria -- i.e., they'd have to know about every roguelike with a
playable version released. I doubt anyone can lay claim to that degree
of knowledge -- not with absolute certainty that no other exists that
they missed bumping into anywhere.

--

Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> I doubt anyone can lay claim to that degree
> of knowledge -- not with absolute certainty

So what? It's easy to make a reasonably likely guess. Please take your
drivel elsewhere, Idiot Boy.

sherm--

"Remsleep" <reply@this_newsgroup.ok> wrote in message

> "Erik Piper" <erNOikSP@skyAM.cz> wrote in message
>>
>> My hunch is that some bug surrounding poison resistance was introduced in
>> the "Oh my" patch. I don't play it myself, so I can't say anything more
>> than that. You might want to contact Gavin Duggan, who wrote that patch.
>> I don't know his e-mail offhand, but there are various communication
>> gadgets for contacting him on this page:

>> ...which contains his post to crawl-dev regarding the patch.
>>

> Thanks, I'll give that a try.
>
> Remsleep

And here's the result (posted with permission):

-------
Hi Remsleep,

I do follow rec games roguelikes occasionally, but not regularly, so it's
definately best to email me directly with questions. If you'd like, feel
free to post this to either usenet or the yahoo group if you think other
people would want to know.

I did change poison resistance in the same patch as the imps... although it
actually had more to do with the demonspawn mutation/draconian progression
changes. Where as immunity to toxins used to be, as you pointed out, a
binary attribute, it's now a 3-step resistance like with heat and col (Note
that it is also stronger in some ways; see below).

Instead of preventing poisoning from happening in the first place, poison
resistance now gives some protection from the damage you would take (Ie: the
poison is present in your system; your level of resistance reduces how much
you react to it). The first level gives approximately 50% resistance to
poison; you'll take half as much damage on average, but it's stochastic.
Light poisoning (such as from small snakes) still isn't much of a threat...
multiple poisonings is dangerous though, but much easier to deal with than
without any protection.

The second step reduces damage by half again.. you'll only take damage one
quarter of the time, which basically reduces it to a non-threat unless
you're very heavily poisoned. Most people naturally heal more than they'll
take at this rate.

Three levels of poison resistance is special in that poisons do zero damage
while in your system, and it will also prevent you from being poisoned in
the first place.

In order to balance the fact that this change makes poison resistance items
weaker (although it makes poison resistance as an inherent trait stronger
because it's harder to come by), resistance to toxins now also grants some
level of protection from paralysis (such as from wasps and the like). Given
that paralysis is one of the more dangerous threats to mid-high level
characters (especially with newer

players), this is a fairly powerful gain. Moreover, it is possible

to gain nourishment from poisoned meat with only one or two levels of poison
resistance.. and the invigorating nature of these meats has some nice
bonuses if you're immune to their effects.

Multiple levels of poison resistance can be gained by wearing two or more
items (rings, artifacts, etc), possibly in combination with the spell of the
same name (which was previously pretty useless) and one or more levels of
the relevant demonspawn mutation or draconian resistance.

Hope that explains the effects you've been seeing. I'm glad you've enjoyed
the mods.. let me know if you have any other questions :)

Gavin

-------

Remsleep

"Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message

> It's rather the other way around: a half-civilized *question* would have
> used a tag like [Crawl] at least. In a multi-game group like r.g.r.m.
> this really makes sense, since many people only want to read posts of
> the game they are currently interested in. It has nothing to do with
> playing net-police.

If I were a serial post-non-tagger, that might be warranted, but since I
have maybe 10 posts total in the group over the last 3 or so years and this
is the first one not tagged (at least since the group started talking about
games other than Crawl), I think that's a bit much. If T1's original reply
had simply asked, "Are you asking about Crawl, or some other game?", then I
would have said, "Oops, my bad, a thousand pardons," tagged my post
appropriately, and moved on. My non-tagging was accidental, but the
gratuitous sarcasm dump was deliberate.

As to your point about filtering, I wasn't forcing anyone to read my post,
whether tagged or not.

Remsleep

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> [Rude and insulting part snipped]
>
> Hrm, there's nothing left after that. Strange.

If only you'd snip your own stupid posts in the same manner, you'd save us
all a lot of time.

Sherm Pendley wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>
>> [Rude and insulting part snipped]
>>
>> Hrm, there's nothing left after that. Strange.
>
> If only you'd snip your own stupid posts in the same manner, you'd save
> us all a lot of time.

If only you'd snip your own stupid vas deferens, you'd save us all from
worrying that there might be future generations of Pendleys with Usenet
access.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.

Well, those of us with the ability of abstract thought don't need to be
spoon fed.

Sherm Pendley wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>
>> We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.
>
> Well, those of us with the ability of abstract thought don't need to be
> spoon fed.

You, too, are bound to spread the chaos to rgr.misc? Why? What has
rgr.misc ever done to you?

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> You called me a name! How the hell *did* you intend it, then?! I pointed
> out to the OP that since they didn't state what game they were talking
> about, and there's more than one discussed here, that people might be
> forced to guess. A wrong guess could lead to bad advice. And your
> response was to attack me with guns blazing!

You're right. Everyone's just out to get you. That's why you're on
welfare. That's why everyone expects you to do things for yourself. That's
why everyone wants to you stop being such an ass. I can't believe their
audacity! I can't imagine why people keeping picking fights with you! It's
obvious it has something to do with you, since before you came to this
group they didn't pick fights with anyone. Maybe they're the fabled Cabal
that's out to get you! Better look out!!!

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=846022

Ooh! How scarry! I hope they never try to get me!

Twisted One wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>
>>> How -- by mind reading? As I stated in my post, there's nothing truly
>>> unique to crawl mentioned in the original post -- not one thing to
>>> permit the conclusion to be drawn with 100% certainty that you made.
>>

>> This is untrue. None other of the roguelikes regularly discussed in
>> r.g.r.m. have a "recent release with imps." Or Orc Fighters, for that
>> matter.
>

> This is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that isn't
> "regularly" discussed in rgrm.

This is extremely relevant. The likelihood of that person playing the
roguelike is inversely proportionate to how regularly it's discussed at
rgrm.

> A "recent" release is also rather vague
> -- depending on how frequently the particular roguelike is updated, its
> players might consider "recent" to mean only in the last week, [...]

The several players who immediately recognized what he meant, and knew
which release was in question, make it clear that you are, in fact, wrong.

> or anytime in the last year. Also, to be 100% certain someone would have to
> know with certainty that no other roguelikes in existence met any of
> these criteria -- i.e., they'd have to know about every roguelike with a
> playable version released. [Etc.]

That, my friend, is simple silliness.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
>> This is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that isn't
>> "regularly" discussed in rgrm.
>
> This is extremely relevant. The likelihood of that person playing the
> roguelike is inversely proportionate to how regularly it's discussed at
> rgrm.

We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.

[Rude and insulting part snipped]

Hrm, there's nothing left after that. Strange.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> You called me a name!

Why don't you keep crying about it like a little baby?

Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> Sherm Pendley wrote:

None of this.

>> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>>
>>> We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.
>>

>> Well, those of us with the ability of abstract thought don't need to
>> be spoon fed.
>

> You, too, are bound to spread the chaos to rgr.misc? Why? What has
> rgr.misc ever done to you?

I did not write that, as even a cursory examination of the message
headers will prove. A complaint about this deliberate act of slander has
been sent to abuse@rogers.com.

sherm--

In article <3audndeK4ahVZebfRVn-2Q@rogers.com>,
Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>Erik Piper wrote:
>>> This is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that isn't
>>> "regularly" discussed in rgrm.
>>
>> This is extremely relevant. The likelihood of that person playing the
>> roguelike is inversely proportionate to how regularly it's discussed at
>> rgrm.
>
>We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.

I don't see how 100% certainty is a fruitful topic of discussion, since
even the presence of a [crawl] tag in the subject line is no guarantee
that the post is about Crawl.

-Andrew ()

Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker wrote:
> I don't see how 100% certainty is a fruitful topic of discussion, since
> even the presence of a [crawl] tag in the subject line is no guarantee
> that the post is about Crawl.

It does mean the author intends it to be perceived that way. Otherwise,
we're just guessing what was in the author's head, when he could have
informed us with insignificant effort.

--

Twisted One wrote:
> Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker wrote:
>> I don't see how 100% certainty is a fruitful topic of discussion,
>> since even the presence of a [crawl] tag in the subject line is no
>> guarantee that the post is about Crawl.
>
> It does mean the author intends it to be perceived that way.
> Otherwise, we're just guessing what was in the author's head, when he
> could have informed us with insignificant effort.

Picky and fruitless discussions *about* the tags surely weren't
initially intended with those tags.

Rubinstein