Problems w/Poison Resistance

Last response: in Video Games
May 6, 2005 6:36:09 PM

My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat at
all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never seen this
before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in the most recent
release?

I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.

Remsleep
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:36:10 PM

Remsleep wrote:
> My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat at
> all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never seen this
> before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in the most recent
> release?
>
> I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.

The latest version of what?! It doesn't say what game you're playing, in
the subject line or in the body text. It sounds like it might be Crawl,
but I'm not going to make any assumptions since this is rgrmisc and the
things that you mention, such as snakes and scorpions and rings of
poison resistance, are fairly generic in roguelikes. Angband has them,
for instance, though it doesn't have "orc fighter" as a race/class
combination, with "half-orc warrior" coming closer. ADOM may well have
even orc fighters...

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11

"Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
> Remsleep wrote:
>> My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat
>> at all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never
>> seen this before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in
>> the most recent release?
>>
>> I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.
>
> The latest version of what?! It doesn't say what game you're playing, in
> the subject line or in the body text. It sounds like it might be Crawl,
> but I'm not going to make any assumptions since this is rgrmisc and the
> things that you mention, such as snakes and scorpions and rings of poison
> resistance, are fairly generic in roguelikes. Angband has them, for
> instance, though it doesn't have "orc fighter" as a race/class
> combination, with "half-orc warrior" coming closer. ADOM may well have
> even orc fighters...

Jeez, some people. Yes, it's crawl, and more perspicacious readers figured
that out. Failing that, a half-civilized reply might have simply asked, "Do
you mean crawl? It's not specified in the subject line," and left out the
gratuitous sarcasm dump. You obviously have a lot of time on your hands.
Why don't you spend it meditating on ways to avoid being a net-nazi.

Remsleep
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:37:32 PM

Remsleep wrote:
> "Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Remsleep wrote:
>>
>>>My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat
>>>at all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never
>>>seen this before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in
>>>the most recent release?
>>>
>>>I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.
>>
>>The latest version of what?! It doesn't say what game you're playing, in
>>the subject line or in the body text. It sounds like it might be Crawl,
>>but I'm not going to make any assumptions since this is rgrmisc and the
>>things that you mention, such as snakes and scorpions and rings of poison
>>resistance, are fairly generic in roguelikes. Angband has them, for
>>instance, though it doesn't have "orc fighter" as a race/class
>>combination, with "half-orc warrior" coming closer. ADOM may well have
>>even orc fighters...
>
> Jeez, some people. Yes, it's crawl, and more perspicacious readers figured
> that out.

How -- by mind reading? As I stated in my post, there's nothing truly
unique to crawl mentioned in the original post -- not one thing to
permit the conclusion to be drawn with 100% certainty that you made.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 10:12:45 PM

Remsleep wrote:
> My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no threat at
> all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've never seen this
> before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been tweaked/nerfed in the most recent
> release?
>
> I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.
>
> Remsleep

My hunch is that some bug surrounding poison resistance was introduced
in the "Oh my" patch. I don't play it myself, so I can't say anything
more than that. You might want to contact Gavin Duggan, who wrote that
patch. I don't know his e-mail offhand, but there are various
communication gadgets for contacting him on this page:

....which contains his post to crawl-dev regarding the patch.

Cheers,

Erik
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:02:26 PM

"Erik Piper" <erNOikSP@skyAM.cz> wrote in message
news:D 5g51p$olo$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

> My hunch is that some bug surrounding poison resistance was introduced in
> the "Oh my" patch. I don't play it myself, so I can't say anything more
> than that. You might want to contact Gavin Duggan, who wrote that patch. I
> don't know his e-mail offhand, but there are various communication gadgets
> for contacting him on this page:

> ...which contains his post to crawl-dev regarding the patch.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Remsleep
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:04:57 AM

Erik Piper wrote:
> Remsleep wrote:
>
>> My orc fighter found a =oPR early in the game. Snakes are now no
>> threat at all, but it seems like scorpions routinely poison him. I've
>> never seen this before; AFAICT, PR is binary. Has it been
>> tweaked/nerfed in the most recent release?
>>
>> I'm using the latest version with Imps, etc.

> My hunch is that some bug surrounding poison resistance was introduced
> in the "Oh my" patch.

No bug. A feature. Poisoning comes in different sizes (sick, very sick,
extremely sick). Each level of poison resist reduces the level of
poisoning by 1, so if you have enough poison in you to become "very
sick" the ring reduces the effects to "sick" but you still take damage.

Lars
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:16:04 AM

Twisted One wrote:
> Remsleep wrote:

[an unmarked Crawl query with no mention of Crawl]

>> "Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message

[it's impossible to tell what this query is]

>>> Remsleep wrote:

[it is, and I'm angry because you stated that so rudely]

> How -- by mind reading? As I stated in my post, there's nothing truly
> unique to crawl mentioned in the original post -- not one thing to
> permit the conclusion to be drawn with 100% certainty that you made.

This is untrue. None other of the roguelikes regularly discussed in
r.g.r.m. have a "recent release with imps." Or Orc Fighters, for that
matter. While [Gamename] markings help people filter out traffic not
concerning their game and thus it's a shame that it was missing, anyone
knowledgable enough about Crawl to help with his query would, I believe,
recognize those traits.

And in my opinion you you indeed stated your point rudely, which if
nothing else is no help in convincing him of that point... you can catch
more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Erik
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:16:05 AM

Erik Piper wrote:
>> How -- by mind reading? As I stated in my post, there's nothing truly
>> unique to crawl mentioned in the original post -- not one thing to
>> permit the conclusion to be drawn with 100% certainty that you made.
>
> This is untrue. None other of the roguelikes regularly discussed in
> r.g.r.m. have a "recent release with imps." Or Orc Fighters, for that
> matter.

This is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that isn't
"regularly" discussed in rgrm. A "recent" release is also rather vague
-- depending on how frequently the particular roguelike is updated, its
players might consider "recent" to mean only in the last week, or
anytime in the last year. Also, to be 100% certain someone would have to
know with certainty that no other roguelikes in existence met any of
these criteria -- i.e., they'd have to know about every roguelike with a
playable version released. I doubt anyone can lay claim to that degree
of knowledge -- not with absolute certainty that no other exists that
they missed bumping into anywhere.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:16:06 AM

Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> I doubt anyone can lay claim to that degree
> of knowledge -- not with absolute certainty

So what? It's easy to make a reasonably likely guess. Please take your
drivel elsewhere, Idiot Boy.

sherm--

May 7, 2005 12:24:50 AM

"Remsleep" <reply@this_newsgroup.ok> wrote in message

> "Erik Piper" <erNOikSP@skyAM.cz> wrote in message
> news:D 5g51p$olo$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>>
>> My hunch is that some bug surrounding poison resistance was introduced in
>> the "Oh my" patch. I don't play it myself, so I can't say anything more
>> than that. You might want to contact Gavin Duggan, who wrote that patch.
>> I don't know his e-mail offhand, but there are various communication
>> gadgets for contacting him on this page:

>> ...which contains his post to crawl-dev regarding the patch.
>>

> Thanks, I'll give that a try.
>
> Remsleep

And here's the result (posted with permission):

-------
Hi Remsleep,

I do follow rec games roguelikes occasionally, but not regularly, so it's
definately best to email me directly with questions. If you'd like, feel
free to post this to either usenet or the yahoo group if you think other
people would want to know.

I did change poison resistance in the same patch as the imps... although it
actually had more to do with the demonspawn mutation/draconian progression
changes. Where as immunity to toxins used to be, as you pointed out, a
binary attribute, it's now a 3-step resistance like with heat and col (Note
that it is also stronger in some ways; see below).

Instead of preventing poisoning from happening in the first place, poison
resistance now gives some protection from the damage you would take (Ie: the
poison is present in your system; your level of resistance reduces how much
you react to it). The first level gives approximately 50% resistance to
poison; you'll take half as much damage on average, but it's stochastic.
Light poisoning (such as from small snakes) still isn't much of a threat...
multiple poisonings is dangerous though, but much easier to deal with than
without any protection.

The second step reduces damage by half again.. you'll only take damage one
quarter of the time, which basically reduces it to a non-threat unless
you're very heavily poisoned. Most people naturally heal more than they'll
take at this rate.

Three levels of poison resistance is special in that poisons do zero damage
while in your system, and it will also prevent you from being poisoned in
the first place.

In order to balance the fact that this change makes poison resistance items
weaker (although it makes poison resistance as an inherent trait stronger
because it's harder to come by), resistance to toxins now also grants some
level of protection from paralysis (such as from wasps and the like). Given
that paralysis is one of the more dangerous threats to mid-high level
characters (especially with newer

players), this is a fairly powerful gain. Moreover, it is possible

to gain nourishment from poisoned meat with only one or two levels of poison
resistance.. and the invigorating nature of these meats has some nice
bonuses if you're immune to their effects.

Multiple levels of poison resistance can be gained by wearing two or more
items (rings, artifacts, etc), possibly in combination with the spell of the
same name (which was previously pretty useless) and one or more levels of
the relevant demonspawn mutation or draconian resistance.

Hope that explains the effects you've been seeing. I'm glad you've enjoyed
the mods.. let me know if you have any other questions :)

Gavin

-------

Remsleep
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:32:54 AM

"Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 5gcfo$7o6$00$1@news.t-online.com...

> It's rather the other way around: a half-civilized *question* would have
> used a tag like [Crawl] at least. In a multi-game group like r.g.r.m.
> this really makes sense, since many people only want to read posts of
> the game they are currently interested in. It has nothing to do with
> playing net-police.

If I were a serial post-non-tagger, that might be warranted, but since I
have maybe 10 posts total in the group over the last 3 or so years and this
is the first one not tagged (at least since the group started talking about
games other than Crawl), I think that's a bit much. If T1's original reply
had simply asked, "Are you asking about Crawl, or some other game?", then I
would have said, "Oops, my bad, a thousand pardons," tagged my post
appropriately, and moved on. My non-tagging was accidental, but the
gratuitous sarcasm dump was deliberate.

As to your point about filtering, I wasn't forcing anyone to read my post,
whether tagged or not.

Remsleep
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:09:28 AM

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> [Rude and insulting part snipped]
>
> Hrm, there's nothing left after that. Strange.

If only you'd snip your own stupid posts in the same manner, you'd save us
all a lot of time.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:20:57 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>
>> [Rude and insulting part snipped]
>>
>> Hrm, there's nothing left after that. Strange.
>
> If only you'd snip your own stupid posts in the same manner, you'd save
> us all a lot of time.

If only you'd snip your own stupid vas deferens, you'd save us all from
worrying that there might be future generations of Pendleys with Usenet
access.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:27:43 AM

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.

Well, those of us with the ability of abstract thought don't need to be
spoon fed.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:40:15 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>
>> We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.
>
> Well, those of us with the ability of abstract thought don't need to be
> spoon fed.

You, too, are bound to spread the chaos to rgr.misc? Why? What has
rgr.misc ever done to you?

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:47:08 AM

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> You called me a name! How the hell *did* you intend it, then?! I pointed
> out to the OP that since they didn't state what game they were talking
> about, and there's more than one discussed here, that people might be
> forced to guess. A wrong guess could lead to bad advice. And your
> response was to attack me with guns blazing!

You're right. Everyone's just out to get you. That's why you're on
welfare. That's why everyone expects you to do things for yourself. That's
why everyone wants to you stop being such an ass. I can't believe their
audacity! I can't imagine why people keeping picking fights with you! It's
obvious it has something to do with you, since before you came to this
group they didn't pick fights with anyone. Maybe they're the fabled Cabal
that's out to get you! Better look out!!!

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=846022

Ooh! How scarry! I hope they never try to get me!
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:48:03 AM

Twisted One wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>
>>> How -- by mind reading? As I stated in my post, there's nothing truly
>>> unique to crawl mentioned in the original post -- not one thing to
>>> permit the conclusion to be drawn with 100% certainty that you made.
>>

>> This is untrue. None other of the roguelikes regularly discussed in
>> r.g.r.m. have a "recent release with imps." Or Orc Fighters, for that
>> matter.
>

> This is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that isn't
> "regularly" discussed in rgrm.

This is extremely relevant. The likelihood of that person playing the
roguelike is inversely proportionate to how regularly it's discussed at
rgrm.

> A "recent" release is also rather vague
> -- depending on how frequently the particular roguelike is updated, its
> players might consider "recent" to mean only in the last week, [...]

The several players who immediately recognized what he meant, and knew
which release was in question, make it clear that you are, in fact, wrong.

> or anytime in the last year. Also, to be 100% certain someone would have to
> know with certainty that no other roguelikes in existence met any of
> these criteria -- i.e., they'd have to know about every roguelike with a
> playable version released. [Etc.]

That, my friend, is simple silliness.

Erik
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:48:04 AM

Erik Piper wrote:
>> This is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that isn't
>> "regularly" discussed in rgrm.
>
> This is extremely relevant. The likelihood of that person playing the
> roguelike is inversely proportionate to how regularly it's discussed at
> rgrm.

We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.

[Rude and insulting part snipped]

Hrm, there's nothing left after that. Strange.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:48:05 AM

Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.

You got what you wanted, Idiot Boy - the thread is marked [crawl].

Stop whining.

sherm--

May 7, 2005 2:17:57 AM

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> You called me a name!

Why don't you keep crying about it like a little baby?
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 3:27:26 AM

Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> Sherm Pendley wrote:

None of this.

>> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>>
>>> We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.
>>

>> Well, those of us with the ability of abstract thought don't need to
>> be spoon fed.
>

> You, too, are bound to spread the chaos to rgr.misc? Why? What has
> rgr.misc ever done to you?

I did not write that, as even a cursory examination of the message
headers will prove. A complaint about this deliberate act of slander has
been sent to abuse@rogers.com.

sherm--

May 7, 2005 3:45:10 AM

In article <3audndeK4ahVZebfRVn-2Q@rogers.com>,
Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>Erik Piper wrote:
>>> This is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that isn't
>>> "regularly" discussed in rgrm.
>>
>> This is extremely relevant. The likelihood of that person playing the
>> roguelike is inversely proportionate to how regularly it's discussed at
>> rgrm.
>
>We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.

I don't see how 100% certainty is a fruitful topic of discussion, since
even the presence of a [crawl] tag in the subject line is no guarantee
that the post is about Crawl.

-Andrew ()
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 3:45:11 AM

Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker wrote:
> I don't see how 100% certainty is a fruitful topic of discussion, since
> even the presence of a [crawl] tag in the subject line is no guarantee
> that the post is about Crawl.

It does mean the author intends it to be perceived that way. Otherwise,
we're just guessing what was in the author's head, when he could have
informed us with insignificant effort.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:22:06 AM

Twisted One wrote:
> Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker wrote:
>> I don't see how 100% certainty is a fruitful topic of discussion,
>> since even the presence of a [crawl] tag in the subject line is no
>> guarantee that the post is about Crawl.
>
> It does mean the author intends it to be perceived that way.
> Otherwise, we're just guessing what was in the author's head, when he
> could have informed us with insignificant effort.

Picky and fruitless discussions *about* the tags surely weren't
initially intended with those tags.

Rubinstein
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:22:07 AM

Rubinstein wrote:
> Picky and fruitless discussions *about* the tags surely weren't
> initially intended with those tags.

Indeed; and you'll notice such discussions only seem to crop up in
threads where the tags were initially missing, or went missing after a
while.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 7:26:22 AM

Twisted One wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>
>>> [The fact that only a few games are regularly discussed here] is irrelevant. The person could be playing a roguelike that
>>> isn't "regularly" discussed in rgrm.
>>

>> This is extremely relevant. The likelihood of that person playing the
>> roguelike is inversely proportionate to how regularly it's discussed
>> at rgrm.
>

> We were discussing 100% certainty, not likelihood.

You brought up that 100% figure, yes. But practically speaking, 99% or
even 90% certainty is enough to start addressing the point without a
reasonable fear of doing so unnecesssarily -- and a post referring to
scorpions (they're in Crawl) that poison (as in Crawl), snakes (as in
Crawl) that poison (as in Crawl) a recent release (as in Crawl)
containing imps (as is the case for Crawl), binary poison resistance (as
in Crawl), orc fighters (as in Crawl), and rings of poison resistance
(they're in Crawl) on a newsgroup where at least 80% of the
fantasy-roguelike discussion concerns Crawl... well, if those 9 things
have each just a *1/4* chance per roguelike of knocking that roguelike
out of consideration, we've got over our 90% right there.

> [Rude and insulting part...

>> [Statement that there's no way anyone can tell it's a Crawl post]

> [Strongly worded statement that the fact that people did tell
indicates this is wrong]

>> [A long discourse on 100% certainty and all the roguelikes in the world]

> [Statement that this thing is being silly]

> ...snipped]
>
> Hrm, there's nothing left after that. Strange.

Not intended as rude and insulting, just to the point. When you are
wrong, I point it out. When you say silly things, I can either discuss
them at length rather pointlessly -- since they're silly -- or just
briefly summarize them as that. Seems more productive to do the latter.
The fact that it's *unpleasant* to read that you've been wrong in a
point and, further down, you've written something silly does not
automatically mean stating these things are rude and insulting.

"Rude and insulting" tends to lean more towards phrases like -- pardon
that you have too see this -- the acronym "FOAD." (I don't know about
you, but I really lose respect for people who use it.)

Cheers,

Erik
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 7:26:23 AM

Erik Piper wrote:
> Not intended as rude and insulting...

You called me a name! How the hell *did* you intend it, then?! I pointed
out to the OP that since they didn't state what game they were talking
about, and there's more than one discussed here, that people might be
forced to guess. A wrong guess could lead to bad advice. And your
response was to attack me with guns blazing!

[Further insults deleted]

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:57:17 PM

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Sherm Pendley wrote:

> Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>
>> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
> I did not write that, as even a cursory examination of the message
> headers will prove. A complaint about this deliberate act of slander has
> been sent to abuse@rogers.com.

Sherm! Baby! Don't you remember me? Every night, by the light of the moon,
you transform into me! It makes me sad that you don't remember, and moreso
that you're denying that you are me, and that I am you!

Besides, Twisted One told us that he isn't Paul Derbyshire, so stop
misattributing him! (And by that I mean, 'Note to Self'.)
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:53:08 PM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
[more bullshit]

Isn't rgrd big enough for you? You have to bring your bullying and
off-topic flamage here too?

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:53:48 PM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Why don't you keep crying about it like a little baby?

Why don't you go back to whence you came? You evil, evil flamer.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:55:50 PM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>
>> You, too, are bound to spread the chaos to rgr.misc? Why? What has
>> rgr.misc ever done to you?
>
> What has ANYONE ever done to you? They try to help

No, you keep flaming me, and you seem determined to spread your noise
into other newsgroups beyond rgrd for some reason.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:10:51 PM

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>> Why don't you keep crying about it like a little baby?
>
> Why don't you go back to whence you came? You evil, evil flamer.

Wait, are you talking to me, or Sherm?
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:12:24 PM

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> No, you keep flaming me, and you seem determined to spread your noise
> into other newsgroups beyond rgrd for some reason.

You're right. I can't imagine why. Like, it's beyond comprehention.

Do you understand how hilarious it is when you call someone stupid, or a
liar, or a troll, or calling them out for flaming? Are you retarded? Have
you been diagnosed with any learning disorder? Because I feel like
whomever diagnosed you should have told you the dangers of acting like an
idiot in public.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:54:13 PM

Sherm (or was he lying?) wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>
>> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>>
>>> Why don't you keep crying about it like a little baby?
>>
>> Why don't you go back to whence you came? You evil, evil flamer.
>
> Wait, are you talking to me, or Sherm?

Either both, or you're a liar; take your pick. Actually, both -- whether
you are one and the same or not, or schizophrenic, or what.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:54:54 PM

Sherm (or was he lying?) wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>
>> No, you keep flaming me, and you seem determined to spread your noise
>> into other newsgroups beyond rgrd for some reason.
>
> You're right. I can't imagine why. Like, it's beyond comprehention.
>
> Do you understand how hilarious it is when you call someone stupid, or a
> liar, or a troll, or calling them out for flaming?

Yes I do -- namely, zero hilarity when the person in question is in facy
trolling and flaming, as you are.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:08:10 PM

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> Either both, or you're a liar; take your pick. Actually, both -- whether
> you are one and the same or not, or schizophrenic, or what.

Ok: what lies have I told? Do you want me to point out the lies you have
told?

To recap:

-- You are a liar. I say this because: you have lied in this group before.
Do you deny this? I mean, that's why we call you a liar. Because you are
one. I thought this would be obvious to you. A causes B. But I guess
stupidity knows no end. Do I need to explain it further.

-- You call me a liar. To my knowledge, though I have lied in my lifetime,
I have certainly never lied on this board. If you want to prove me wrong,
feel free. I will take your silence in this matter proof of the fact that
I am right.

PS -- Don't speak to your Mother like that!
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:10:02 PM

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> Yes I do -- namely, zero hilarity when the person in question is in facy
> trolling and flaming, as you are.

Oh, Paul Derbyshire, you still don't get it: We, as people, aren't you.
This means that we don't have the same thoughts in our heads as you do in
yours. This means what isn't funny to you, can be hilarious to us! See how
this works.

Do you need more help with this other people concept? I'm trying to take
baby steps. Maybe later we can move on to going outside. After a year I
think you may be ready to meet someone in person. Good luck!
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:28:14 PM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:26:22 +0200, Erik Piper <erikNO@skySP.czAM>
wrote:

>Not intended as rude and insulting, just to the point.

Actually, you're doing amazingly well. I'm surprised you've been
helpful to him this far without him breaking out the cuss words and
random accusations. Please note, however, that if you are going to
point out his errors that he is, well, hypersensitive about anyone
noticing when he's wrong.

> When you are wrong, I point it out.

Which is rude and insulting by his standards. He has a long history of
bizarre and extreme reactions to corrections of incorrect statements
he has made. He has repeatedly stated that in doing so, you are
calling him a liar. He is also bound to call you a liar at some point,
probably about the time he resorts to simply swearing at you. He has
kept up this behavior for half a decade, so there is little hope he is
going to grow out of it any time soon. (I apologize for not providing
references, but Google Groups Beta is a pain and even the UK Google is
using it now. If you want to research on your own, his most important
previous pseudonym was "Neo".)

I'm not going to tell you not to offer him good advice or respond to
his errors with corrections, but you should know you can't expect a
gracious response.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:29:15 PM

My least favorite stalker wrote:
> -- You are a liar.

No, I am not.

> -- You call me a liar.

And you are -- you called me a dirty nymshifting coward -- while
nymshifting -- while I wasn't -- I've been using "Twisted One"
throughout this sordid mess. (The fact that I've used other nyms in the
distant past is irrelevant here.)

> I have certainly never lied on this board.

If you mean rgrmisc, that might be technically true, since the lie I
remarked upon above occurred in rgrd. Of course, that doesn't change the
fact that you are a (now self-confessed) liar in general.

> I will take your silence in this matter

What silence? This post isn't silence. Your brain waves, on the other
hand...

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:30:03 PM

My least favorite stalker continues to harass me online:
[snip more lies, implied lies, rudeness, and flamage]

GFAG.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 9:44:23 PM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
[weird and vaguely insulting stuff]

Haven't you caused enough trouble in rgrd, without causing more of it
here? Or maybe you're just a big attention whore...

May 8, 2005 12:37:22 AM

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> GFAG.

GFAG?
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 12:38:52 AM

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> Isn't rgrd big enough for you? You have to bring your bullying and
> off-topic flamage here too?

Oh! Sorry! Didn't realize that this was your newsgroup. I'll stop posting
immediately!
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:39:31 AM

[A poster going by the handle "Twisted One's Mother"] wrote:
> Because I feel like whomever diagnosed you [...]

I hate to be a pedant, but...

Well, actually, I love to be a pedant; that's the trouble with me.

It's "whoever" -- it's the subject of the clause. "whom-foo" is for
direct objects at least; it may be for indirect objects as well.
Instances like this one where it comes after the main verb of the
sentence can trick one into thinking that the "who/mfoo" in question is
working as an object when it really isn't, which I suspect is what
happened here.

[Listeners, you may now all go back to your scheduled flamewar.]

Erik
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:49:47 AM

Erik Piper wrote:
> [A poster going by the handle "Twisted One's Mother"] wrote:
>> Because I feel like whomever diagnosed you [...]
>
> I hate to be a pedant, but...

He, that's not an interactive movie here, rather the unavoidable (and
disturbing) spam sequence in the middle of a movie. Though your little
grammar lesson actually drops some light into an otherwise entirely
pointless *cough* discussion.

[snip grammar lesson]

> [Listeners, you may now all go back to your scheduled flamewar.]

Popcorn, anyone?

Rubinstein
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 3:55:39 AM

My least favorite stalker wrote:

> On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
>
>> Isn't rgrd big enough for you? You have to bring your bullying and
>> off-topic flamage here too?
>
> Oh! Sorry! Didn't realize that this was your newsgroup. I'll stop
> posting immediately!

Thanks. You do that.

May 8, 2005 4:33:51 AM

R Dan Henry wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:26:22 +0200, Erik Piper <erikNO@skySP.czAM>
> wrote:
>
>> When you are wrong, I point it out.
>
> Which is rude and insulting by his standards. He has a long history of
> bizarre and extreme reactions to corrections of incorrect statements
> he has made.

I know what you're talking about; I actually followed one of these
discussions though I wasn't directly involved. So you have some point
here, but what's actually going on seems something else (and really
nasty). To me it looks like someone (or several persons) are
purposefully abusing some psychological weak points of him, namely his
disputatiously manner and his obligation for always having the last
word. The way it is done almost looks like a collection of predefined
text blocks, assorted to his certain 'profile' and triggered by his
name. The reason why I think so is because the nature of these
'flame-spammings' is never becoming too concrete and could very well be
fired by some kind of spam robot.

*Nobody* deserves such a treatment if that's what actually going on.

But unfortunately he's so paranoid meanwhile, that my last attempt to
give him some friendly advice was immediately rejected as just another
insult. :-/

Rubinstein
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 4:33:52 AM

On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:33:51 +0200, Rubinstein
<picommander@t-online.de> wrote:

>R Dan Henry wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:26:22 +0200, Erik Piper <erikNO@skySP.czAM>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When you are wrong, I point it out.
>>
>> Which is rude and insulting by his standards. He has a long history of
>> bizarre and extreme reactions to corrections of incorrect statements
>> he has made.
>
>I know what you're talking about; I actually followed one of these
>discussions though I wasn't directly involved. So you have some point
>here, but what's actually going on seems something else (and really
>nasty). To me it looks like someone (or several persons) are
>purposefully abusing some psychological weak points of him, namely his
>disputatiously manner and his obligation for always having the last
>word.

*That* is very recent. He has been attacking people for correcting his
mistakes for *years*.

>But unfortunately he's so paranoid meanwhile, that my last attempt to
>give him some friendly advice was immediately rejected as just another
>insult. :-/

And that why some of us don't bother to try being at all nice to him.
It's a waste of time. He's going to take insult at anything but
mindless agreement with his every error, so why pretend he's anything
but a total wanker?

That wasn't my point, however. I simply don't want Erik (or others) to
proceed without knowing what to expect.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

Rubinstein wrote:
[Attacks some of my nastier detractors, but also calls me assorted
names, e.g. "paranoid"]

Great. Multiple factions that fight with each other, but all hate me. :p