Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Brand new ASUS VG278H & 3D Vision kit, monitor 3D emitter won't turn o

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
September 1, 2012 5:58:58 PM

Hi, I am experiencing problems with my new VG278H. While trying to set up 3D my 3D Vision 2 kit glass turns on fine(green light) however I don't see my Monitor's 3D emitter turning on(green light), when I go through the monitor menu all 3D related options are all grayed out.

My monitor is connected to a GTX670(latest driver 301.42WHQL) with the Dual link DVI that came with the montior. Everything works fine in 2D but I can't set up 3D because the aforementioned the issue. How should I fix this?
September 2, 2012 5:43:53 PM

It seems for some reason my monitor doesn't believe it is connected to a 3D capable Nvidia GPU(which it is, a GTX 670 with 301.42 WHQL) and connection is fine with a Dual link(all pins) DVI cable connecting the monitor and the GPU. I think this is a driver related issue, should I try one of the beta Nvidia drivers, the Gigabyte driver for my Gigabyte custom made card? or something else?
a c 122 C Monitor
September 3, 2012 3:52:23 PM

I use 301.42 WHQL drivers with 680's, and they work. Although I do not have that monitor. I use an older 3D Vision 1 monitor.

Do you have the 3D Stereoscopic drivers installed and enabled?
Related resources
September 3, 2012 5:00:12 PM

bystander said:
I use 301.42 WHQL drivers with 680's, and they work. Although I do not have that monitor. I use an older 3D Vision 1 monitor.

Do you have the 3D Stereoscopic drivers installed and enabled?


Is that a separate driver from 301.42WHQL? If so I probably didn't since I only installed 301.42WHQL.


Checking Nvidia control panel-system information-components:

I only see these under 3D setting:

nvGames.dll
nvCUDA.dll
PhysX

going to control panel-uninstall program I see the following Nvidia 3D driver:
Nvidia 3D Controller Driver 301.42
Nvidia 3D Vision Driver

Edit: nvm, it suddenly started to work again when I tried to set up today, that probably means I did something wrong while setting this up yesterday.

Best solution

a c 122 C Monitor
September 3, 2012 6:13:38 PM
Share

Awesome. Good to see it's working.

You will probably want to know a couple things too. When you aren't using 3D Vision, you still lose performance just by having 3D Vision enabled in the control panel. Ctrl-T does not help (toggles on and off in game). You actually have to uncheck it or use a batch file to turn it on and off like I do.

I have a disable and enable version of these batch scripts.
@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable
exit

There is also a modder with a bunch of fixes for games which don't support 3D Vision well here:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist
September 3, 2012 6:15:48 PM

Best answer selected by sherlockwing.
September 3, 2012 6:17:52 PM

bystander said:
Awesome. Good to see it's working.

You will probably want to know a couple things too. When you aren't using 3D Vision, you still lose performance just by having 3D Vision enabled in the control panel. Ctrl-T does not help (toggles on and off in game). You actually have to uncheck it or use a batch file to turn it on and off like I do.

I have a disable and enable version of these batch scripts.
@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable
exit

There is also a modder with a bunch of fixes for games which don't support 3D Vision well here:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist



thanks for the tip, but can't I just disable 3D Vision in the control panel itself?
a c 122 C Monitor
September 4, 2012 2:13:44 AM

sherlockwing said:
thanks for the tip, but can't I just disable 3D Vision in the control panel itself?

You can, but it's a lot more work than just clicking on a batch file on my taskbar. One click and it changes state, instead of having to open up the control panel, go down to the 3D Vision area, and unchecking it.
September 4, 2012 2:19:55 AM

bystander said:
You can, but it's a lot more work than just clicking on a batch file on my taskbar. One click and it changes state, instead of having to open up the control panel, go down to the 3D Vision area, and unchecking it.


Actually I can do it just by typing 3D under the windows search function it the option to enable/disable 3D vision shows up in the form of programs and one click does the job there.
a c 122 C Monitor
September 4, 2012 2:24:09 AM

sherlockwing said:
Actually I can do it just by typing 3D under the windows search function it the option to enable/disable 3D vision shows up in the form of programs and one click does the job there.


It's still more work. If you want to set up a batch file, just copy the command above in a file with the extension.bat. I place it in an extended toolbar on my taskbar along with my Aero toggle, and a script to switch to head phones or speakers.

If you decide later you want to use it, just look it up here. Otherwise, have fun with 3D Vision 2! I've currently enjoying Skyrim in 3D Vision.
September 27, 2013 5:46:23 PM

bystander said:
Awesome. Good to see it's working.

You will probably want to know a couple things too. When you aren't using 3D Vision, you still lose performance just by having 3D Vision enabled in the control panel. Ctrl-T does not help (toggles on and off in game). You actually have to uncheck it or use a batch file to turn it on and off like I do.

I have a disable and enable version of these batch scripts.
@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable
exit

There is also a modder with a bunch of fixes for games which don't support 3D Vision well here:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist


Hi, A question about that batch script.

@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable
exit

would disable it, and

@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
exit

would enable it again? Should I make two separate batch files? Thanks!
October 6, 2013 4:34:40 AM

Darn it; I bought the same monitor and I am having the same problem. The problem is that I have AMD Sapphire cards in crossfire and ALL ALL ALL the instructions tell me to install NVidia drivers.

I hate computers.
October 6, 2013 4:34:42 AM

Darn it; I bought the same monitor yesterday and I am having the same problem. The problem is that I have AMD Sapphire cards in crossfire and ALL ALL ALL the instructions tell me to install NVidia drivers.

I hate computers sometimes. Ten hours at this computer and I am still going around in circles.

alkwsemnrhp9we8ounhg;:vaeroityjsbpt;ioegnb wutm@ywj6
a c 122 C Monitor
October 6, 2013 7:57:20 AM

Roger Rogers said:
Darn it; I bought the same monitor yesterday and I am having the same problem. The problem is that I have AMD Sapphire cards in crossfire and ALL ALL ALL the instructions tell me to install NVidia drivers.

I hate computers sometimes. Ten hours at this computer and I am still going around in circles.

alkwsemnrhp9we8ounhg;:vaeroityjsbpt;ioegnb wutm@ywj6


I'll help you out here.

You don't have the same problem. You have the wrong hardware.

You bought a Nvidia 3D Vision 2 monitor for an AMD video card. They are not compatible. Either return the monitor and look for an HD3D one (Samsung used to sell these, I don't know if they still do), or exchange the video card for an Nvidia card.
October 6, 2013 8:39:50 AM

bystander said:
Roger Rogers said:
Darn it; I bought the same monitor yesterday and I am having the same problem. The problem is that I have AMD Sapphire cards in crossfire and ALL ALL ALL the instructions tell me to install NVidia drivers.

I hate computers sometimes. Ten hours at this computer and I am still going around in circles.

alkwsemnrhp9we8ounhg;:vaeroityjsbpt;ioegnb wutm@ywj6


I'll help you out here.

You don't have the same problem. You have the wrong hardware.

You bought a Nvidia 3D Vision 2 monitor for an AMD video card. They are not compatible. Either return the monitor and look for an HD3D one (Samsung used to sell these, I don't know if they still do), or exchange the video card for an Nvidia card.


Daymn.

Are you not kidding me?

I thought HD3D was comaptible with Asus 3D. I thought it was the same or similar.

Feck.

Feck.

Feck.

Fecking Hardware shapeshifting scumbags.

Fecking feck.

Thanks for the information.

Anyway; I have NEVER SEEN a AMD 3D monitor.

Its no wonder people thrown their computers out of apartment windows sometimes.

Many thanks for letting me know.

Sadly I will not be able to return my TWO AMD HD7770 Sapphire Crossfire Cards that I have only had for a short month or two.

The monitor has to stay also; as amazon do not take back goods if the return is due to some oversight of a customer not knowing about secretive hardware incompatibilities hardware manufacturers keep pretty feckin quiet about.

aseljmvgnj pwr8uemtrli;jbmwepotiyhjw @,thi9o wruty9hp
a c 122 C Monitor
October 6, 2013 9:08:01 AM

Samsung used to sell them. They may still. Here is an example (out of stock)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I believe they had 700 and 950 models that are similar. I think you may be best off just changing out your video card if you can.

Oh, and you actually can try out 3D on that monitor. I forgot, but the HDMI port does accept HD3D (mostly for consoles). The draw back is the monitor won't work in 120hz in 2D, and in 3D you'll have to play at 720p.
October 6, 2013 4:00:55 PM

bystander said:
Samsung used to sell them. They may still. Here is an example (out of stock)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I believe they had 700 and 950 models that are similar. I think you may be best off just changing out your video card if you can.

Oh, and you actually can try out 3D on that monitor. I forgot, but the HDMI port does accept HD3D (mostly for consoles). The draw back is the monitor won't work in 120hz in 2D, and in 3D you'll have to play at 720p.


Last question folks....

Will it play 3D via an actual living room 3D Blue-Ray player via HDMI?
Bypassing the PC completely?

a c 122 C Monitor
October 6, 2013 4:38:56 PM

Mine will via my PS3. It should work from any bluray player capable of 3D. Of course you won't be able to game from it that way.
October 6, 2013 7:59:57 PM

bystander said:
Mine will via my PS3. It should work from any bluray player capable of 3D. Of course you won't be able to game from it that way.


Thank you for that.

You just confirmed to me that it is possible for a developer to design and intermediary chip to put between the AMD graphics card and the Asus (Nvidia) Monitor; in exactly the same way that I have an in-line PAL to NTSC convertor to allow me to watch UK PAL DVD`s on my Japan only-NTSC Tv..

So; makers out there; you have another product to develop and sell.

One AMD to Nvidia convertor please (conceptual invention 9,079). $30 is the perfect price point.

EDIT.
P.S.
I got it working with one of my PS3`s.
The 3D is really nice. Games or Movies. I got 150+ PS3 games.
Even my Laptop 3D glasses work with it. Vision 1 version. I cant tell the difference between the two types of glasses in 3D images on screen. So if you can buy cheaper 3D vision 1 for an extra viewer, then its no biggie.

Nice smooth 3D.

Talked the wife into forgiving me and she indicates that I can buy an NVidia card before Christmas.

I already burned through $2,000 on this rig.

P.P.S.
How can the Sony play 3D if its not NVidia?
Its strange.
Especially when you consider that AMD are going to be supplying the Graphics for the X-One and PS4 Playstation 4.

Surely the PS4 and X-One will not be able to do 3D then?

I smell a RAT. :pfff: 
!