[Crawl] YACD -- RNG kindly laughs at me

Last response: in Video Games
May 11, 2005 2:45:30 AM

Having a fun little game, but I feel the RNG is having a little fun at
my expense. On level 8, a guardian naga easily gave up its loot, but
it had some great items -- for another character.

:D ungeon Crawl 400b26e069tf(Windows/Tile) character file.
:[Last build Mar 13 2005]

:D an the Cleaver
:
:Race : Hill Orc Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
:Class : Gladiator Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
:Worship : Makhleb Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
: Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
:Level 10 Res.Elec. : . Saprovore : + . .
:Exp 5770
:Next Level 7760 Sust.Abil.: + Rnd.Telep. : .
:Exp Needed 1990 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
:Spls.Left 9 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
:Gold 133 Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
:
:HP : 87/ 87
:MP : 7/ 7 Weapon +0,+1 orc war axe
:Str : 19 (20) Armour +2 splint mail
:Int : 7 Shield none
:D ex : 12 Helmet +0 cap
:Armour Cl: 13 Cloak +0 cloak
:Evasion : 7 Gloves -2 pair of gloves (curse)
:Shield Cl: 0 Boots none
: Amulet amulet of resist slowing
:p lay time : 03:30:55 Ring ring of levitation
:Turns : 11463 Ring ring of sustain abilities
:
:
:You are on level 8.
:You worship Makhleb.
:Makhleb is extremely pleased with you.
:You are encumbered.
:You are not hungry.
:
:
: Inventory:
:Hand weapons
: a - a +2,+0 hand axe of freezing
:+d - a +0,+1 orcish war axe (weapon)
: h - a +1,+1 orcish battleaxe
: k - a +1,+2 flail of draining
: w - an uncursed triple sword

Naga's treasure room held this -- the first triple sword I've *ever*
seen -- and I have a ?EWIII, too! How many long blades hopeful I've
had who would have loved that... but I'm Axes 11 -- rather committed.

: B - a +1,+2 orcish morningstar
: F - an uncursed glowing crossbow of protection

Also found this -- but I decided on Makhleb for ranged power, as I
want heavy armor and orcs aren't much on missile weapons.

: G - a +0 great mace

Been, ah, field testing weapons, that's why so many.

:Armour
:+o - a +2 splint mail (worn)
:+A - a +0 cloak (worn)
:+E - a +0 cap (worn)
: I - a +0 dwarven buckler
:+J - a cursed -2 pair of gloves (worn)
: M - a +0 pair of elven gloves
: N - the +2 shield "Enyhi"
: It affects your intelligence (+2).
: It makes you much less stealthy.

Not doing too badly for armor. I've got a +2 plate stored in the
Temple, too.

:Magical devices
: g - a wand of cold
: j - a wand of fire
: s - a wand of fire
: v - a wand of polymorph other
: L - a wand of paralysis
: Q - a wand of cold
: T - a copper wand
: Y - a crooked gold wand

Finding plenty of wands and haven't found the Lair, yet. (Found Mines,
but haven't entered.)

:Comestibles
: e - a rotting chunk of human flesh
: m - 2 meat rations

Unidentifiable slabs of extinguished dungeon fauna... it's what's for
dinner!

:Scrolls
: t - a scroll of noise
: x - 4 scrolls of teleportation
: y - 2 scrolls labeled OC FELY {tried}
: C - a scroll of remove curse
: K - a scroll labeled EVYTCHAVYHEAC
: U - a scroll of fear

The scrolls were from the treasure room -- probably the only
worthwhile thing (oh, and I think I picked up one of the potions
there, too).

:Jewellery
:+n - a ring of levitation (right hand)
:+q - a ring of sustain abilities (left hand)
: r - a +1 ring of dexterity
: P - an uncursed scratched bronze ring

This one's teleport.

:+S - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
: X - an uncursed lumpy sapphire amulet

Not doing too badly for this early.

:p otions
: c - 2 potions of healing
: l - 4 potions of speed
: u - 2 potions of might
: O - a potion of restore abilities
: V - a potion of heal wounds

Got two cure mutation in storage -- lost one to drink-ID, @#$%!

:Books
: b - a Monster Manual
: p - a book of Power
: H - a book of Power
:Magical staves
: z - a smoking staff
: R - a smoking staff
: W - a smoking staff
: Z - a jeweled staff

Treasure trove had goodies for a spell-slinger, although a bit
redundant. It's the triple sword that really hurts, though.

: You have 83 experience left.
:
: Skills:
: + Level 8 Fighting
: + Level 11 Axes
: + Level 8 Maces & Flails
: - Level 1 Darts
: + Level 1 Throwing
: + Level 6 Armour
: + Level 2 Shields
: + Level 2 Unarmed Combat
: + Level 1 Evocations
:
:
:You have 9 spell levels left.
:You don't know any spells.

: #.####.#.###.#....#
: #.#....#.# #.#.##.#
: ###....#.#.###.#.##.#
: #....###.#.#...#....#
: #.##.....#.###.#..####
: #.....####.# #....)..#
: ##.........# ##...##.#
: #..######### #....#.#
: #....#@.[..# #....#.#
: #.##.)).%[.# ######.#
: #....#))[).#####....#
: ######.[...#.......##
: #.....#.##....#
: #.....#.#.....#
: #######>##....#
: ######### #.##...##
: #.......# #.##...#

And there's a snapshot of the victor with his spoils.

: Vanquished Creatures
:A red wasp (D:7)

Wand of polymorph could have killed me, but wand of cold killed it in
a couple of blasts -- still close, as I was paralyzed once and
recovered.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:45:30 -0700, R. Dan Henry
<danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:

>Having a fun little game, but I feel the RNG is having a little fun at
>my expense. On level 8, a guardian naga easily gave up its loot, but
>it had some great items -- for another character.

And it's now a YASD after I was double teamed by Erolcha and my cat
[1] at the same time. CL 11, DL 12, still no Lair, had cleared two
levels of Mines. And I'll probably not see another triple sword for a
long time -- and I'll be playing a Spriggan Transmuter when it
happens.

[1] No, I didn't patch in code from NetHack. I'm talking my RL [2]
cat.

[2] Real Life. [3]

[3] That's that thing you see when you stop looking at your computer.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com