The value of Miniatures, Battle Mats, and other accessorie..

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Hello all,

I was just wondering how many of you use miniatures and battle mats or
3d dungeon sets (like mage knight) to enhance your role playing game?
I know that all you need is your mind and a healthy imagination to
play, but it is fun to use the miniatures and a scaled mat or dungeon
set to visualize combat and prevent any arguments about what is
actually happenening logistically in the combat. Do you guys think it
is worth the price to invest in a lot of miniatures or accessories?

For example, I just recently started playing AD&D 2 nights a week
again with a group. I bought my own Players Handbook and DM's guide at
$20 apiece. I bought a megapack of 50 AD&D miniatures for about $45.
Recently I decided to purchase 28 more individual miniatures to fill
some gaps in my megapack which cost me another $42 (some are rare or
uncommon apparently so they cost more), and a large wet markable
battle mat from Crystal Caste which cost another $30 + markers $10. I
bought the mat because I am tired of playing on the old printed paper
grid that is ruffling up at the edges and has pizza and grease spots
all over it.

I know these things can enhance our roleplay experience but at $130 or
so for the miniatures and battle mat it is getting expensive. Nobody
asked me to buy these things, but it is a little annoying to not have
miniatures that match your characters or npc's and a greasy paper
battle grid that is pretty disgusting, so I purchased these. I don't
want to ask people to chip in because A) they did not ask me to buy
these and B) I don't want any arguments about who owns what later
because they all know I bought the stuff for everyone to use but I
still own it. We all enjoy and like the stuff that I bought and it
gets used, so, others who have bought stuff like this for your AD&D
group, is it worth it?

Chuck

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

We have always used minatures but only recently started using the battlemat.
I don't find it detracts in any way from the game. It does really help the
combat situations since everyone's perception is on the same 'mat'. The
players can devise their strategy more effectivly and the 3rd edition works
well on grids so all is good. As for a minature to match, never neccessary
but I, as the keeper of the minatures, make sure everyone is covered with
the most accurate I can find, if I don't have it, I buy it. I'm funny that
way.
"Chuck Mularkey" <chuck@mularkey.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I was just wondering how many of you use miniatures and battle mats or
> 3d dungeon sets (like mage knight) to enhance your role playing game?
> I know that all you need is your mind and a healthy imagination to
> play, but it is fun to use the miniatures and a scaled mat or dungeon
> set to visualize combat and prevent any arguments about what is
> actually happenening logistically in the combat. Do you guys think it
> is worth the price to invest in a lot of miniatures or accessories?
>
> For example, I just recently started playing AD&D 2 nights a week
> again with a group. I bought my own Players Handbook and DM's guide at
> $20 apiece. I bought a megapack of 50 AD&D miniatures for about $45.
> Recently I decided to purchase 28 more individual miniatures to fill
> some gaps in my megapack which cost me another $42 (some are rare or
> uncommon apparently so they cost more), and a large wet markable
> battle mat from Crystal Caste which cost another $30 + markers $10. I
> bought the mat because I am tired of playing on the old printed paper
> grid that is ruffling up at the edges and has pizza and grease spots
> all over it.
>
> I know these things can enhance our roleplay experience but at $130 or
> so for the miniatures and battle mat it is getting expensive. Nobody
> asked me to buy these things, but it is a little annoying to not have
> miniatures that match your characters or npc's and a greasy paper
> battle grid that is pretty disgusting, so I purchased these. I don't
> want to ask people to chip in because A) they did not ask me to buy
> these and B) I don't want any arguments about who owns what later
> because they all know I bought the stuff for everyone to use but I
> still own it. We all enjoy and like the stuff that I bought and it
> gets used, so, others who have bought stuff like this for your AD&D
> group, is it worth it?
>
> Chuck

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

"Chuck Mularkey" <chuck@mularkey.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I was just wondering how many of you use miniatures and battle mats or
> 3d dungeon sets (like mage knight) to enhance your role playing game?

We all enjoy and like the stuff that I bought and it
> gets used, so, others who have bought stuff like this for your AD&D
> group, is it worth it?

Yes. I don't use battle mats though. I use 1/4" plexiglas with grid lines on
the back side. I use miniatures a lot too. I find they enhance the game by
giving players perspective to the scene, both in the size of the creatures
they're up against and in tactics.

--
In an old 1E campaign I played in, there was this half-dwarf, half-orc
character. They called him a dorc. -Solomoriah

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I didn't start using a battlemat and mini's until I started playing 3rd, 3.5
ed. They enhance my game a lot. It's a great way to keep track of Attacks
of Opportunity as well as visualize the combat better. Since then I've
started painting miniatures as well, a very relaxing hobby for me. I guess
it really just depends on how into the gaming you are. I don't have
miniatures for every single monster that my players come across. I just use
something as a place holder. No harm, no foul. My players still have fun
because they get to bash stuff.