[Crawl] Yellowin aka "You can kiss my axe" Vol.2

The next marking stone. After another 2 amazingly simply cakewalks
through Lair and Snake Pit, Yellowin just got his 2. Rune from the
Swamp!

Yellowin the Hacker (Minotaur)
(Level 16 Gladiator)

Play time: 18:06:56 Number of turns: 53651

Experience : 16/188327
Strength 24 Dexterity 16 Intelligence 9
Hit Points : 144 Magic Points : 20
AC : 30 Evasion : 10 Shield : 0
GP : 646

You are in the Lair.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+0 great mace of protection (weapon)
** Yellowins 'Hydranator'.

b - a +2,+2 bow
** Never thought I ever could take out Yaks from afar with such a simple
** bow, but it actually works! :)

c - a +4,+6 war axe of chopping
** Already quite devastating!

Missiles
f - 7 arrows
g - 5 +0 elven arrows of flame
h - an arrow of ice
i - 15 +4 arrows of flame
** All slightly enchanted at least

X - 73 arrows
Y - an elven arrow
Z - an orcish arrow
** And this are my pseudo-ID 'templates'. Slot X usually also carries
** only 1 single (vanilla) arrow. This is just a transport to my main
** stash. Who knows whether I'll find enough good ones in the next
** time, so I probably have to use them for a while...

Armour
q - the +2 wizard's hat of Integrity (worn)
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It protects you from cold.
It protects you from poison.
It lets you sense your surroundings.

** The second gift from Oki, and an almost perfect one! Minos only can
** wear small hats and caps(?) and the Int +3 prevents me from wasting
** statpoints or ring slots to boost my otherwise dangerously low Int.

r - a +3 swamp dragon armour (worn)
t - a +1 pair of gloves of strength (worn)
v - a +0 pair of boots of levitation (worn)
F - a +1 cloak (worn)
U - a +2 pair of boots of running
** Waves to Erik (I know you want some, too) ;-)
** Why still wearing the levitation boots: instead of just clearing the
** Swamp, I wanted to *clear* the Swamp. But now it's time for running
** again...

Magical devices
o - a wand of cold
s - a wand of enslavement
A - a wand of confusion (10)
K - a wand of disintegration
N - a wand of digging
R - a wand of draining (9)
S - a wand of teleportation (10)
Comestibles
u - 6 meat rations
L - a royal jelly
Scrolls
e - 5 scrolls of recharging
l - 5 scrolls of remove curse
m - 2 scrolls of fear
E - a scroll of magic mapping
M - 5 scrolls of teleportation
Jewellery
w - an uncursed ring of teleportation
y - a +1,+4 ring of slaying (left hand)
** My 'axe-booster'. Makes a difference.

B - a ring of see invisible
** A seen Horror is no horror (not that I couldn't kill them without by
** now)

C - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
** Just one Amulet yet, but the right one!

D - a +3 ring of protection (right hand)
G - a ring of sustenance
Potions
k - 3 potions of restore abilities
x - a potion of speed
z - a potion of berserk rage
H - a potion of invisibility
I - 5 potions of healing
P - 4 potions of heal wounds

You have 3 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 14 Fighting
+ Level 19 Axes
+ Level 11 Maces & Flails
** Right in time! The bottom of the Swamp was heavily Hydra-infested.
** Most of the 19 Hydras from the vanquished creatures list came from
** here. Usually I hate Hydras, particularly in the Swamp, but with such
** a setup they are just fun! :)

- Level 3 Staves
** Found a Quarterstaff of speed before I entered the Hive and thought
** it would be useful there. But no, just another waste. The axe was
** clearly doing better (no wonder with such an axe skill) :-/

+ Level 12 Bows
** Not too shabby. I guess the reason why he's doing so well with
** bows is the boost from strength. Wonder whether an Elf would be
** similar effective with L12 in bows...

- Level 3 Darts
+ Level 7 Throwing
+ Level 11 Armour
- Level 1 Shields
+ Level 4 Traps & Doors
** Not too early, but I want more, more, more! As you'll see in Vol.3,
** I'm going to have some serious trouble with Zot-traps...

+ Level 11 Unarmed Combat
** As if the axe wouldn't be enough ;-)

- Level 1 Spellcasting
** Spellwhat?

+ Level 6 Invocations
+ Level 2 Evocations

You have 17 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Vanquished Creatures
Norris (Snake:3)
An orc warlord (Orc:4)
Frances (Snake:3)
The ghost of DeBorg the Cudgeler, a powerful HO Gl (Lair:9)
5 greater nagas (Snake:5)
The ghost of SunRa the Grappler, a powerful Tr Be (Lair:2)
5 death yaks
19 hydras
** ;-)

5 grey snakes
Erica (Swamp:1)
Josephine (Swamp:3)
Harold (Swamp:2)
A griffon (Lair:8)
An orc high priest (Orc:4)
An elephant slug (Lair:10)
16 naga warriors
5 hill giants
12 swamp dragons
3 unseen horrors
2 red wasps
A guardian naga (Snake:3)
An orc sorcerer (Orc:4)
3 wolf spiders
18 giant brown frogs
A lindwurm (Lair:9)
28 black snakes
23 naga magi
20 slime creatures
2 very ugly thing skeletons (Swamp:3)
7 giant snails
8 komodo dragons
A queen bee (Hive:4)
3 trolls
An ettin (D:14)
8 spiny frogs
3 hippogriffs
2 two-headed ogres
34 yaks

Sun is shining bright for Yellowin - yet.
Vol.3 turns out to be somewhat tricky, though...

Rubinstein

Rubinstein wrote:

> b - a +2,+2 bow
> ** Never thought I ever could take out Yaks from afar with such a simple
> ** bow, but it actually works! :)

Sometimes when I'm starting my day's session, I don't think my "muscles
are limber enough yet this night" to play my most advanced character, so
I start up something else that interests me. Yesterday it was a common
elf crusader as a candidate for the Bows title. Bows are, I was
reminded, a little weird in that -- to use a bit of voodoo -- there's an
odd turning point where magically you stop never-hitting and start being
pretty darn deadly.

That goes double for blink-and-plink. Take that, you minotaur! :p

(He eventually died -- excessive conserving of resources and speed of
engagement during a killer-bee battle.)

> U - a +2 pair of boots of running
> ** Waves to Erik (I know you want some, too) ;-)

Boo hoo!

My Kenku doesn't, though ;-)

> Scrolls
> e - 5 scrolls of recharging

The firedrake's puff of flame hits you! Some of the scrolls you are
carrying catch fire! :p

> l - 5 scrolls of remove curse

How does one get their stuff cursed 5 times between stash visits? :p

> M - 5 scrolls of teleportation

It's just not me, but I can see why you do it.

> C - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
> ** Just one Amulet yet, but the right one!

Now (unless you like looking cool on the dance floor in glow-in-the-dark
colors) is the time to find a berserking randart... if only there were a
way to tell the RNG it had better send one or else!

> - Level 3 Staves
> ** Found a Quarterstaff of speed

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggghh!!!

GIMME!

> + Level 12 Bows
> ** Not too shabby. I guess the reason why he's doing so well with
> ** bows is the boost from strength.

The way it works is:

str/dex may affect bows in their own right (can't remember)...

....but for a *damage-enchanted* bow, Crawl compares the damage
enchantment to your-strength minus some-number divided by some-number
("Some-number" are VERY roughly -- and incorrectly, but should be in
range -- 11 and 2 respectively.) Then it throws away whichever is higher.

Bascially, you *are* getting the +2 damage enchantment out of the bow,
while the weak guy down the street is not.

Incidentally, Herself the Elf was doing just fine with her +0 bow
(although she was putting all her voluntary increases into STR all the
same).

> Wonder whether an Elf would be
> ** similar effective with L12 in bows...

Yep!

@......H @.....H @....H @...H @..H @.H @H @......H repeat... :)

(But also even without blinking.)

> + Level 6 Invocations

Again smart!

Rubinstein wrote:
> ** The second gift from Oki, and an almost perfect one! Minos only can
> ** wear small hats and caps(?) and the Int +3 prevents me from wasting
> ** statpoints or ring slots to boost my otherwise dangerously low Int.

What use is int to a fighter-type?

In *bands, it can affect how easily they can use magical devices and
deal with locked doors and traps, but the latter becomes moot quickly
once you have scrolls of trap destruction, detection, and such, and the
former shouldn't be relied on for emergencies in *bands even with
significant int. I've never heard an Angbander worry that their warrior
has a "dangerously" low int... I can only speculate that in Crawl it's
needed for something fairly important to non-spellcasters in the way of
skills?

Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in news:ROCdnQXKKPjgsRnfRVn-
gg@rogers.com:

> Rubinstein wrote:
>> ** The second gift from Oki, and an almost perfect one! Minos only can
>> ** wear small hats and caps(?) and the Int +3 prevents me from wasting
>> ** statpoints or ring slots to boost my otherwise dangerously low Int.
>
> What use is int to a fighter-type?

There are a number of creatures, items, mutations, diseases, and dungeon
features that cause stat loss. If your int drops to 0, you forget to breath
and die. A fighter of a studly race will often have an int of 3 or 4, which
can lead to dying before there's even time to avoid it.

Twisted One wrote:
> Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> ** The second gift from Oki, and an almost perfect one! Minos only can
>> ** wear small hats and caps(?) and the Int +3 prevents me from wasting
>> ** statpoints or ring slots to boost my otherwise dangerously low Int.
>

> What use is int to a fighter-type?
>
> In *bands, it can affect how easily they can use magical devices and
> deal with locked doors and traps, but the latter becomes moot quickly
> once you have scrolls of trap destruction, detection, and such, and the
> former shouldn't be relied on for emergencies in *bands even with
> significant int. I've never heard an Angbander worry that their warrior
> has a "dangerously" low int... I can only speculate that in Crawl it's
> needed for something fairly important to non-spellcasters in the way of
> skills?

Incidentally -- other than what Chip mentioned [the resistance to stat
loss instadeath], Int is no use to a non-spellcaster -- Invocations and
Evocations are unaffected by your Int.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> Incidentally -- other than what Chip mentioned [the resistance to stat
> loss instadeath], Int is no use to a non-spellcaster -- Invocations and
> Evocations are unaffected by your Int.

Sounds amazingly Nethackish.