Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Crawl] Are adjacent dungeon levels 'frozen'?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:41:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Some questions about adjacent dungeon levels. As the subject suggests I
guess they are frozen (monsters don't move etc...). Is this true?

The answer is not just interesting for leaving stuff on levels I'm
currently not present but also regarding to summoning timeout. As an
example: When I summon an Ice Beast, leave that level and come back
later, after a time where the living period usually would have run out,
would the Ice Beast still exist?

If the Ice Beast is involved in a fight when I leave that level, I guess
that would stop the fight, right?
If so, does it go on from where it stopped on my arrival again?
(Right now it's not a pleasant time for experiments since I have a young
DEIE who has to fight Ice Beasts with summoned Ice Beasts + Ice Bolt).

Rubinstein
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:41:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Rubinstein wrote:
> Some questions about adjacent dungeon levels. As the subject suggests
I
> guess they are frozen (monsters don't move etc...). Is this true?
>
Not in my experience. Corpses rot away while I'm on another level, for
instance. And it seems to me that creatures do move. It sometimes seems
like they don't because they start out static and often (always?) are
stationary until they notice my guy. However, if I rile up a bunch of
critters then flee via a stairway, they won't be in the same place as
when I left upon my return.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:41:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

"Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 67n2j$d9c$01$1@news.t-online.com...
> Some questions about adjacent dungeon levels. As the subject suggests
I
> guess they are frozen (monsters don't move etc...). Is this true?

If you go up the stairs with a bunch of monsters in view, it seems like
they'll be congregating around those stairs when you go back down, no
matter how long you've been upstairs. This might only apply to monsters
without ranged attacks -- I've noticed that drawing an orc priest, for
example, to the stairs by ascending and descending is difficult.

But aside from that, I don't think anything happens -- like, I don't
think jellies will eat stuff while you're not there. I'm not sure how
leaving the level affects wandering monsters and the like.

My guess is that when you leave the level, monsters in your view get
re-placed, and then frozen.

> The answer is not just interesting for leaving stuff on levels I'm
> currently not present but also regarding to summoning timeout. As an
> example: When I summon an Ice Beast, leave that level and come back
> later, after a time where the living period usually would have run
out,
> would the Ice Beast still exist?

Sort of. You'll see it disappear in a puff of smoke. So it exists
until you re-enter the level. Not very helpful. But if you get caught
in a pack of enemy summoned monsters, you can go upstairs and rest for a
few hundred turns, and when you go back down they'll disappear, too.

> If the Ice Beast is involved in a fight when I leave that level, I
guess
> that would stop the fight, right?

I think so.

> If so, does it go on from where it stopped on my arrival again?
> (Right now it's not a pleasant time for experiments since I have a
young
> DEIE who has to fight Ice Beasts with summoned Ice Beasts + Ice Bolt).

I think something similar to what happens when you go up the stairs
takes place -- monsters interested in your Ice Beast would get placed
next to its spot, as though they were fighting, and when you come back
down they'd be standing next to the puff of smoke. But I don't even
know where to look in the source for all this stuff, and probably
couldn't make sense of it if I did, so take all of the above with a
grain of salt.

--
Jeremey
Related resources
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:33:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Rubinstein wrote:
> Some questions about adjacent dungeon levels. As the subject suggests I
> guess they are frozen (monsters don't move etc...). Is this true?

yes, but they are healed, abjured and shuffeled once you load the level
again.

> The answer is not just interesting for leaving stuff on levels I'm
> currently not present but also regarding to summoning timeout. As an
> example: When I summon an Ice Beast, leave that level and come back
> later, after a time where the living period usually would have run out,
> would the Ice Beast still exist?

it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.

> If the Ice Beast is involved in a fight when I leave that level, I guess
> that would stop the fight, right?

right

> If so, does it go on from where it stopped on my arrival again?

That depends on the elapsed time and the wandering behaviour of the
monsters involved. (iow I have no idea).

Lars
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:47:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Lars Kecke wrote:
> it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.

IIRTSC?

--
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:56:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Twisted One wrote:
> Lars Kecke wrote:
>
>> it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.
>
> IIRTSC?
"If I Recall The Source Code" or
"If I Recall The Source Correctly", maybe...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Well, the philosophy of the World of Shadows is based on most of the
degenerate, immoral and foremost amoral philosophical beliefs of our
world exagarated to the maximum." --Anubis
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:57:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in news:D 68uik$gvh$1
@inews.gazeta.pl:

> Twisted One wrote:
>> Lars Kecke wrote:
>>
>>> it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.
>>
>> IIRTSC?
> "If I Recall The Source Code" or
> "If I Recall The Source Correctly", maybe...

Or sometimes "If I Read The Source Correctly."
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:57:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>> Lars Kecke wrote:
>>
>>> it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.
>>
>> IIRTSC?
>
> "If I Recall The Source Code" or
> "If I Recall The Source Correctly", maybe...

You can read Lars's mind? Kornel, you are full of surprises.

--
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 11:23:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Twisted One wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> Twisted One wrote:
>>
>>> Lars Kecke wrote:
>>>
>>>> it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.
>>>
>>> IIRTSC?
>>
>> "If I Recall The Source Code" or
>> "If I Recall The Source Correctly", maybe...
>
> You can read Lars's mind? Kornel, you are full of surprises.

Yeah, I know ;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"The development cycle for roguelikes never ends..." -- Joseph
Hewitt
!