[Crawl] Are adjacent dungeon levels 'frozen'?

Some questions about adjacent dungeon levels. As the subject suggests I
guess they are frozen (monsters don't move etc...). Is this true?

The answer is not just interesting for leaving stuff on levels I'm
currently not present but also regarding to summoning timeout. As an
example: When I summon an Ice Beast, leave that level and come back
later, after a time where the living period usually would have run out,
would the Ice Beast still exist?

If the Ice Beast is involved in a fight when I leave that level, I guess
that would stop the fight, right?
If so, does it go on from where it stopped on my arrival again?
(Right now it's not a pleasant time for experiments since I have a young
DEIE who has to fight Ice Beasts with summoned Ice Beasts + Ice Bolt).

Rubinstein
8 answers Last reply
More about crawl adjacent dungeon levels frozen
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Rubinstein wrote:
    > Some questions about adjacent dungeon levels. As the subject suggests
    > guess they are frozen (monsters don't move etc...). Is this true?

    Not in my experience. Corpses rot away while I'm on another level, for
    instance. And it seems to me that creatures do move. It sometimes seems
    like they don't because they start out static and often (always?) are
    stationary until they notice my guy. However, if I rile up a bunch of
    critters then flee via a stairway, they won't be in the same place as
    when I left upon my return.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > Some questions about adjacent dungeon levels. As the subject suggests
    > guess they are frozen (monsters don't move etc...). Is this true?

    If you go up the stairs with a bunch of monsters in view, it seems like
    they'll be congregating around those stairs when you go back down, no
    matter how long you've been upstairs. This might only apply to monsters
    without ranged attacks -- I've noticed that drawing an orc priest, for
    example, to the stairs by ascending and descending is difficult.

    But aside from that, I don't think anything happens -- like, I don't
    think jellies will eat stuff while you're not there. I'm not sure how
    leaving the level affects wandering monsters and the like.

    My guess is that when you leave the level, monsters in your view get
    re-placed, and then frozen.

    > The answer is not just interesting for leaving stuff on levels I'm
    > currently not present but also regarding to summoning timeout. As an
    > example: When I summon an Ice Beast, leave that level and come back
    > later, after a time where the living period usually would have run
    out,
    > would the Ice Beast still exist?

    Sort of. You'll see it disappear in a puff of smoke. So it exists
    until you re-enter the level. Not very helpful. But if you get caught
    in a pack of enemy summoned monsters, you can go upstairs and rest for a
    few hundred turns, and when you go back down they'll disappear, too.

    > If the Ice Beast is involved in a fight when I leave that level, I
    guess
    > that would stop the fight, right?

    I think so.

    > If so, does it go on from where it stopped on my arrival again?
    > (Right now it's not a pleasant time for experiments since I have a
    young
    > DEIE who has to fight Ice Beasts with summoned Ice Beasts + Ice Bolt).

    I think something similar to what happens when you go up the stairs
    takes place -- monsters interested in your Ice Beast would get placed
    next to its spot, as though they were fighting, and when you come back
    down they'd be standing next to the puff of smoke. But I don't even
    know where to look in the source for all this stuff, and probably
    couldn't make sense of it if I did, so take all of the above with a
    grain of salt.

    --
    Jeremey
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Rubinstein wrote:
    > Some questions about adjacent dungeon levels. As the subject suggests I
    > guess they are frozen (monsters don't move etc...). Is this true?

    yes, but they are healed, abjured and shuffeled once you load the level
    again.

    > The answer is not just interesting for leaving stuff on levels I'm
    > currently not present but also regarding to summoning timeout. As an
    > example: When I summon an Ice Beast, leave that level and come back
    > later, after a time where the living period usually would have run out,
    > would the Ice Beast still exist?

    it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.

    > If the Ice Beast is involved in a fight when I leave that level, I guess
    > that would stop the fight, right?

    right

    > If so, does it go on from where it stopped on my arrival again?

    That depends on the elapsed time and the wandering behaviour of the
    monsters involved. (iow I have no idea).

    Lars
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Lars Kecke wrote:
    > it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.

    IIRTSC?

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Lars Kecke wrote:
    >
    >> it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.
    >
    > IIRTSC?
    "If I Recall The Source Code" or
    "If I Recall The Source Correctly", maybe...
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

    Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in news:d68uik$gvh$1
    @inews.gazeta.pl:

    > Twisted One wrote:
    >> Lars Kecke wrote:
    >>
    >>> it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.
    >>
    >> IIRTSC?
    > "If I Recall The Source Code" or
    > "If I Recall The Source Correctly", maybe...

    Or sometimes "If I Read The Source Correctly."
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Twisted One wrote:
    >> Lars Kecke wrote:
    >>
    >>> it wont. IIRTSC it will be gone after 20-60 turns.
    >>
    >> IIRTSC?
    >
    > "If I Recall The Source Code" or
    > "If I Recall The Source Correctly", maybe...

    You can read Lars's mind? Kornel, you are full of surprises.

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >> Twisted One wrote:

    >>> IIRTSC?
    >>
    >> "If I Recall The Source Code" or
    >> "If I Recall The Source Correctly", maybe...
    >
    > You can read Lars's mind? Kornel, you are full of surprises.

    Yeah, I know ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "The development cycle for roguelikes never ends..." -- Joseph
    Hewitt

Games Video Games