Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 2:57:09 PM

Hey guys, Im a newbie at this athlon thing, Im planning on buying an athlon 1 ghz and just wanted to know if this is a good buy, Ive heard from other people that all athlon processor are prone to overheating and can easily be damaged, is this true? BTW im not planning on overclocking or anything, I just want to use it as normal as possible, What if I left the PC on for about 5 days straight, will the processor burn? BTW, the room im into is not that hot and not that cold, and what if I left the PC overnight or 2 days straight while encoding a video (divx) will this have a bad effect on the processor? Thanks so much! :) 

More about : athlon 1ghz

March 16, 2001 3:17:36 PM

The heat problem is something that generally occurs because people overclock without adequate cooling or do not properly attach the HSF (heat sink & fan) onto to the proc.

I have never had overheating problems with my Athlon, stock HSF and one chassis or case fan to circulate air.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 4:02:53 PM

Thanks for the reply, is there a compatibility issue with Windows2000 when using this athlon 1 ghz on an asus A7V? If there's none, how about other software or hardware compatibility issue?
Related resources
March 16, 2001 4:09:26 PM

My Athlon 800 on a nt4 sp6 never had bluescreens and incompatibilities.
These problems related to athlon (eg. heating ) was created by some intel lammers.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 4:20:44 PM

What can you say about the athlon socket a 750 mhz? is it also a good buy?
March 16, 2001 6:11:25 PM

Humble, dont let the AMD people steer you wrong.

You dont have to overclock for your CPU to fry itself.

It only takes a few seconds before its toast.

yes there are some incompatabilities from software and hardware. take a few minutes and read back on alot of AMD based threads and you will see stuff like SupraExpress 56i modem that do not work with AMD and all sorts of stuff. sorry I do not have list ready for you. just go back and read.

The AMD cpu has no internal logic for in the event it overheats to shut it down (like Intel). Any AMD CPU can cook itself in a few seconds. some people claim that the motherboard BIOS will "beep" when threshold has been breached. by then its too late.

Some people claim that you save alot of money buying amd, but realisticly there about the same price in the end.

Please take a few minutes and read all the AMD problems posted on this forum before you make the mistake and buy a AMD.
March 16, 2001 6:22:18 PM

a word on fugger, he's really anti amd.

i'd go with the 1Ghz,

i have an 800 oc'd to 933 and i haven't had 1 prob with my system.

I leave it on for weeks at a time.

As long as u install a good heasink and do it carefully, u won't have a problem

I wish I had a signature.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 6:46:09 PM

I'm sure you'll figure this out quickly, but asking that kind of question on this board is not going to be very productive. Lots of very biased people here on both sides, and it will likely quickly devolve to name calling.

My advice:
Read Tom's reviews, take a look at the anandtech reviews. The've both come up with very favorable results for AMD. Now go out and find a reputable review site that favors Intel chips and look at their arguments. Now, make up you own mind based on this evidence.
Good luck

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
March 16, 2001 7:01:22 PM

Hehe, for you they are the same price because you don't know how to install a heatsink and OH CRAP it fries on you. To the normal poeple who can it's worth it. Not everyone is on crack.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 16, 2001 7:06:08 PM

lean to install a heat sink never have a problem.

jeff
March 16, 2001 7:13:08 PM

Ignore Fugger.

Read Fugger's comments for amusement purposes, but do not take them seriously. He is emotionally attached to Intel, cannot see past his bias, and never presents facts. As you will see, if you disagree with his point of view, he resorts to name calling and throws a tantrum.

I asked a similiar question some months ago, and the reponse was over 10 to 1 in favor of AMD. Fugger advised me strongly to avoid AMD. I'm glad I didn't listen to him. My T-Bird is rock stable, runs 18hrs a day, and has not locked up once. Nor has it burnt up, and it does not heat my house as Fugger might try to get you to believe.

The longest I have run it non-stop was 4 days. It did not glow in the dark, and the snow around my house did not melt. It simply ran for 4 days, without any lockups.

Just be sure you use all AMD approved components (heatsink/fan, 300w or greater power supply). Your PC case should have allow for good airflow, having an intake fan at the front, and an exhaust fan in the rear in the vicinity of the processor (in addition to the power supply fan). Don't skimp on the motherboard, go for top quality. Read the reviews here at THG and make your decision.

I have yet to find a piece of software that does not run properly, from various software compilers to games. If there are incompatibilities, that software is not in my library.

From my experience, the AMD system required more setup time then does an Intel system (tweaking and drivers). But once properly setup, it is as stable as an Intel PC.

By all means, if you do not feel comfortable with AMD, then build an Intel machine. Again, be sure to use a top quality motherboard with an Intel chipset. Stay away from 3rd party chipsets with Intel. They are the reason the AMD systems require more setup time.

Good luck with your new system. Let us know what you eventually build, and how well it works for you.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2001 7:52:26 PM

"yes there are some incompatabilities from software and hardware."

As things become popular compatibility issues are to be expected. The issues in this case however are related to the chipset and motherboard.. not the CPU. Even the P4 chipset/motherboard has a few issues but over time these issues will dwindle. Since the beginning of AMD's popularity their incompatibility list has decreased quite alot.

"The AMD cpu has no internal logic for in the event it overheats to shut it down (like Intel)."

When you install a heatsink/fan onto a CPU all you have to do is check to see if the heatsink if making contact with the CPU. You have plenty of time to check the temperature in the BIOS to see if the CPU is overheating. The only reason it would actually fry is if the CPU wasn't near the heatsink/fan at all.

If you have noticed the majority of people who use AMD chips are the people who regularly voice their opinions on the Internet. As time goes on more and more people will post about their AMD experiences, however, as the number of users increases the chances of issues arising also increases. The majority of Intel users seem to be the corporate market.. and people who just buy what is advertised on TV or in a store and these aren't the people who regularly voice their opinions on the Internet.

I cannot even comprehend why you people constantly find fault in something other people enjoy just to annoy those who think differently than you do. It amazes how people waste their precious lives away sometimes.

Anyway this is all good and bad for me though.. I work for Intel but I always like competition. It forces companies to remain on their toes spitting out new things all the time. How can the consumer not appreciate that?
March 16, 2001 8:02:04 PM

Spare me some craps!
March 16, 2001 10:18:48 PM

Humble -

At the moment, the correct answer to your question is, "It depends." None of us really has a clue yet whether AMD or Intel might be right for you.

We don't know what you are going to do with this computer. What's your budget? Would you rather have the more powerful system for the money, or the more stable? Are you going to build it, or buy it? What's your level of technical expertise?

ergeorge said "... asking that kind of question on this board is not going to be very productive." That's true if you expect to find all the answers here.

But if you work at it, you can learn a lot. The "...lots of very biased people here on both sides..." are very competitive, and they are going to give you a lot of pointers and tips. A lot of it will be overstated but contain grains of truth -- Fugger's suggestion, "Please take a few minutes and read all the AMD problems posted on this forum ..." would have been a good one, had he stopped it where I did.

You have to do your part -- process the ore and find the gold. Do your own followup research in the context of your particular situation. What ergeorge said about Tom's and other reviews is right on the mark.

I join the others wishing you good luck and hoping to hear how your new system works out.

beans
March 16, 2001 11:18:14 PM

If you properly attach the heatsink to the processor you have no worries. With the heatsink on correctly and decent ventilation there is no reason why you can't leave any Athlon running indefinitely. I leave my Athlon Classic 800 running 24/7 and have, aside from an occasional reboot after a software install, for over a year. Don't be afraid to run an Athlon. AMD's web site has many helpful documents to help you assemble a PC properly, including one document with detailed instructions and photos on how to properly install a heatsink/fan. If you still have any apprehension about doing it yourself buy a barebones system with the motherboard and processor already installed in a chassis. Request that the heatsink fan be preinstalled and you'll be a happy camper.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2001 1:04:14 PM

Thank you all, you've been very helpful :)