Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mechanical Keyboard With Full Backlight & No Macro?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 3, 2012 7:45:23 PM

Does this exist? I've been Google'ing for awhile without a real answer.

I'm looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard. Backlight is a must. I type a lot in the dark.
I would prefer not to have any sort of macro capability to decrease the size of the keyboard to fit my small desk better.

I've considered the Razer Backwidow Ultimate, but I would prefer not to have the macro feature, because I won't use it and for size reasons.
The only partial answer I've come to this question is Cooler Master's Storm Quick Fire Pro's, but they only have partial back lighting. I'd love the whole keyboard to be backlit.
I don't want a ten keyless either. I use the number pad a lot.

Anybody know if anything like this exists for me? Thanks.
September 4, 2012 10:59:36 AM

das keyboards
deck keyboards

using a monitor and bright keyboard in the dark will destroy your eyes. just a word of warning.
m
l
September 4, 2012 12:14:14 PM

ssddx said:
das keyboards
deck keyboards

using a monitor and bright keyboard in the dark will destroy your eyes. just a word of warning.

Das and Deck are a little out of my price range. The ones I'm interested in either have no backlight or are what I want but $~200.

CM Quickfire Pro seems like a better choice as of now. I will keep looking.

CM Trigger also seems like a viable option, having a full backlit keyboard, but includes a set of macro keys. :pfff: 

I'd prefer a brown switch, but I'd consider others.

I mostly play Guild Wars 2 right now, with a couple of FPS's mixed in.

I suppose a keyboard like this doesn't exist. If CM made the QFP full back lit, I'd go with it hands down.

Choices now:
CM Storm Quickfire Pro
CM Storm Trigger
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

Anybody have personal experience with any of these keyboards? I suppose I'll get whichever one I can get on sale. :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 7:42:18 PM

i've been without a decent keyboard for quite awhile (somone spilled 100 proof in my old model m keyboard and killed it!) and lately wanted to play some fps games so i purchased a blackwidow keyboard. i promptly returned it the next week. now i am shopping for keyboards again...i agree with you, deck and das are quite expensive which is why i was reluctant to buy one. on the plus side, if they last a long time it is really worth the money.

the cherry mx blue switches are not terrible but the keyboard itself has some definite flaws. first of all, it does not support ps/2. unforgiveable in my book. the glossy finish is also a nightmare to keep clean. last, the macro key on the bottom left can very easily be mistaken for the left control key. bad placement. as far as build quality? i've heard about issues but if you take care of it you might be fine.

i've seen the cm storm models down at microcenter. they feel "okay" but are nothing spectacular to me. most likely due to the switch they use. i prefer tactile and clicky feedback.

m
l
September 4, 2012 8:54:54 PM

ssddx said:
i've been without a decent keyboard for quite awhile (somone spilled 100 proof in my old model m keyboard and killed it!) and lately wanted to play some fps games so i purchased a blackwidow keyboard. i promptly returned it the next week. now i am shopping for keyboards again...i agree with you, deck and das are quite expensive which is why i was reluctant to buy one. on the plus side, if they last a long time it is really worth the money.

the cherry mx blue switches are not terrible but the keyboard itself has some definite flaws. first of all, it does not support ps/2. unforgiveable in my book. the glossy finish is also a nightmare to keep clean. last, the macro key on the bottom left can very easily be mistaken for the left control key. bad placement. as far as build quality? i've heard about issues but if you take care of it you might be fine.

i've seen the cm storm models down at microcenter. they feel "okay" but are nothing spectacular to me. most likely due to the switch they use. i prefer tactile and clicky feedback.

I have no doubt that Das/Deck wouldn't last a long time, but I honestly just don't want to spend that money on a keyboard at all.
Well, that kind of crosses off the BWU off my list.

Like I said, I prefer brown, never tried blue, and I know the BWU has blues. PS/2 support is not important to me, as I don't have a PS/2 KB port on my mobo, IIRC. Glossy finish.. you know that going into the keyboard, but I don't like it either. I don't have the current problem of hitting a macro key on accident. (Currently have a G105). I have a couple Razer mice, and I believe they're well built.

Are you a blue switch kind of guy?

The CM Storms feature a brown switch. Supposed to be a compromise between Black and Blue, I believe. The back light is a big thing to me, so maybe I'll wait until either CM keyboard goes on sale and go from there.

Anybody have experience with the CM Storm keyboards?
m
l

Best solution

September 5, 2012 1:25:33 PM

my favorite mechanical switch? buckling spring. nothing even comes close to these period. the downside? they are only available on original ibm m keyboards or the unicomp remakes. very well built keyboards but the key matrix has flaws when pressing multiple keys at once.

my opinion on cherry mx blues? not bad. while not the same as what i prefer they have a pretty good feel to them. i do not care for the models without tactile feedback as i type with my keyboard and no feedback is worse for typing. its a personal thing though. if you like rubber dome style keyboards then you might not mind. the only rubber dome keyboard i actually did not mind was the old logitech wireless keyboard which came with my mx1000 mouse set. low resistance and not as spongy as most.

i have the razer deatheadder as well. it does feel like a solid mouse and i havent had any issues with it. the rubber coating is a nightmare though.

i am not saying to avoid the RBW, just to realize what you are getting first. it worked perfectly find when gaming. my issue was that when typing i confused the control key with the bottom macro key since they are only a key width away. a personal preference of mine is to use a ps2 port for force interrupt performance and the razer did not allow it. again, it works via usb but if you pay $100 get what you like. the glossy finish attracts finger grease, smudges and dust like a magnet. if you dont care about such things then i suppose it is a non issue. at least it is better then coating the entire thing in rubber like some of the other razer keyboards.

i would advise typing into google "cm storm keyboard review" or a substitute any of the other boards you consider. "cm storm keyboard problem" or similar is also a good search. reading forums like this which pop up as results are perhaps the best source of real information about what people think.

newegg star ratings and reviews or website reviews only go so far.

just some ideas. your opinions may be different. we all like what we like.
September 5, 2012 8:31:38 PM

Best answer selected by MarkGeezy.
m
l
!