[Crawl] Just a quick thanks to everyone

Last response: in Video Games
May 19, 2005 6:02:02 AM

I'm now thoroughly addicted and don't even mind dying any more :)

Lots of really useful advice (aside from Neo who's as entertaining and
annoying as ever. Only kidding :-).

Couple of additional questions:

Where do people stash their loot? I'd assume in the temple but don't
you burn lots of food going back to it? Or are there other safe places
as you go deeper?

Is it considered cheating to reinstall (or just delete the bones
files?) if you're fed up of getting nuked by ghosts? One of my dead
guys had a weapon of draining, and I lost 2 levels taking him out with
my latest chopper. Got the bastard though :)

Rich

More about : crawl quick

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:49:39 AM

After my last couple of posts I've had a run of what seems amazingly
bad luck, even by crawl standards. 10 characters didn't even get to the
temple before being faced with almost impossible situations and dying.
GRRR!

Love the game when I seem to be doing well, but...

Rich
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:16:31 PM

Dafty wrote:
> I'm now thoroughly addicted and don't even mind dying any more :)

:-)

> Couple of additional questions:
>
> Where do people stash their loot?

Temple, or first level of hive/lair. What has no hands can't pick up
stuff. Also (for your excess scrolls/potions), next to the down
staircase leading to the branch you're exploring. Since I am a two-runes
player I don't know about the deeper places.

> I'd assume in the temple but don't you burn lots of food going back to it?

Even as a TrBe I had no problems living off the land.

> Is it considered cheating to reinstall (or just delete the bones
> files?) if you're fed up of getting nuked by ghosts?

The ghost are unlinked once loaded. Unlike in nethack where bones files
are a mixed lot Crawl's bones are just another type of monster so
deleting them would be as much cheating as commenting out Sigmund if
you'Re fed up being blasted by him. OTOH it's not my business what you
do behind closed doors.

> One of my dead
> guys had a weapon of draining, and I lost 2 levels taking him out with
> my latest chopper. Got the bastard though :)

See, worked, didn't it? Remember, ghosts don't follow you up/down stairs.

Lars
May 19, 2005 3:18:03 PM

Lars Kecke <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
>The ghost are unlinked once loaded. Unlike in nethack where bones files
>are a mixed lot Crawl's bones are just another type of monster so
>deleting them would be as much cheating as commenting out Sigmund if
>you'Re fed up being blasted by him. OTOH it's not my business what you
>do behind closed doors.

To my mind, *always* deleting ghosts is not cheating, just as *always*
deleting Nethack bones files is not cheating. Selectively deleting
ghosts, on the other hand, *is* cheating. I believe that the player
should always have the option of not having the *mechanics* of game /N/
being affected by the *outcomes* of games 1 through /N/ - 1, but that
they should exercise that option in a consistent direction.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.ht...
bounce. bounce. bounce. bounce bounce bounce bounce.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:03:45 PM

Dafty wrote:

[questions]

What Lars said; just to supplement his bit on the stashes: I don't find
it inconvenient to run back and forth to the top of the Lair even when
I'm diving the very bottom of the dungeon -- by the time you get deep
enough where you might think it'd be annoying, you tend to have an
amulet of the gourmand, so you can stock up before you start the trip.
And just running from stair to stair to stair takes up surprisingly few
turns and of course nearly no time as long as you have the Darshan patch.

Erik
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:13:53 AM

"Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> After my last couple of posts I've had a run of what seems amazingly
> bad luck, even by crawl standards. 10 characters didn't even get to the
> temple before being faced with almost impossible situations and dying.
> GRRR!
>
> Love the game when I seem to be doing well, but...

Didn't go with the Mino Monk suggestion? I find those pretty hard to kill
early in the game.

--
Glen
L:p yt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>After my last couple of posts I've had a run of what seems amazingly
>>bad luck, even by crawl standards. 10 characters didn't even get to the
>>temple before being faced with almost impossible situations and dying.
>>GRRR!
>>
>>Love the game when I seem to be doing well, but...
>>

> Didn't go with the Mino Monk suggestion? I find those pretty hard to kill
> early in the game.

Heh. The other day, in order to test my suspicion that TileCrawl goes
beyond just interface changes and changes the "staves and unarmed" code
to match the comments without having to source dive, I launched a MiMo
and grabbed the first quarterstaff I saw (i.e. played very much against
the grain of easy success) and STILL kept going for level after level,
weakened by the deliberate (for testing purposes) bad decision, but
still quite viable.

They're good. :-)

Erik
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:43:25 AM

"Erik Piper" <erNOikSP@skyAM.cz> wrote in message
news:D 6i5m0$gkj$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Glen Wheeler wrote:
>> "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>After my last couple of posts I've had a run of what seems amazingly
>>>bad luck, even by crawl standards. 10 characters didn't even get to the
>>>temple before being faced with almost impossible situations and dying.
>>>GRRR!
>>>
>>>Love the game when I seem to be doing well, but...
>>>

>> Didn't go with the Mino Monk suggestion? I find those pretty hard to
>> kill early in the game.
>
> Heh. The other day, in order to test my suspicion that TileCrawl goes
> beyond just interface changes and changes the "staves and unarmed" code to
> match the comments without having to source dive, I launched a MiMo and
> grabbed the first quarterstaff I saw (i.e. played very much against the
> grain of easy success) and STILL kept going for level after level,
> weakened by the deliberate (for testing purposes) bad decision, but still
> quite viable.
>
> They're good. :-)

:)  Does tilecrawl change that part of the code? I would be curious, as I
prefer the tiled game.

--
Glen
L:p yt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "Erik Piper" <erNOikSP@skyAM.cz> wrote in message
> news:D 6i5m0$gkj$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> > Glen Wheeler wrote:
> >> "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

[Minotaur Monks are good.]

> > Heh. The other day, in order to test my suspicion that TileCrawl
goes
> > beyond just interface changes and changes the "staves and unarmed"
code to
> > match the comments without having to source dive, I launched a MiMo
and
> > grabbed the first quarterstaff I saw (i.e. played very much against
the
> > grain of easy success) and STILL kept going for level after level,
> > weakened by the deliberate (for testing purposes) bad decision, but
still
> > quite viable.
> >
> > They're good. :-)
>
> :)  Does tilecrawl change that part of the code? I would be
curious, as I
> prefer the tiled game.

Yes -- in Tilecrawl, the code must have been changed in this regard to
match the comments, because you *do* get to punch while wielding a
staff in Tilecrawl.

(I already knew this about TileCrawl at the time of that testing, but I
wasn't sure if I and everybody else hadn't just been overlooking it in
ASCII Crawl, so the mentioned testing was of ASCII Crawl's behavior.)

Erik
!