[Crawl] Just a quick thanks to everyone

I'm now thoroughly addicted and don't even mind dying any more :)

Lots of really useful advice (aside from Neo who's as entertaining and
annoying as ever. Only kidding :-).

Couple of additional questions:

Where do people stash their loot? I'd assume in the temple but don't
you burn lots of food going back to it? Or are there other safe places
as you go deeper?

Is it considered cheating to reinstall (or just delete the bones
files?) if you're fed up of getting nuked by ghosts? One of my dead
guys had a weapon of draining, and I lost 2 levels taking him out with
my latest chopper. Got the bastard though :)

Rich
8 answers Last reply
More about crawl quick everyone
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    After my last couple of posts I've had a run of what seems amazingly
    bad luck, even by crawl standards. 10 characters didn't even get to the
    temple before being faced with almost impossible situations and dying.
    GRRR!

    Love the game when I seem to be doing well, but...

    Rich
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:
    > I'm now thoroughly addicted and don't even mind dying any more :)

    :-)

    > Couple of additional questions:
    >
    > Where do people stash their loot?

    Temple, or first level of hive/lair. What has no hands can't pick up
    stuff. Also (for your excess scrolls/potions), next to the down
    staircase leading to the branch you're exploring. Since I am a two-runes
    player I don't know about the deeper places.

    > I'd assume in the temple but don't you burn lots of food going back to it?

    Even as a TrBe I had no problems living off the land.

    > Is it considered cheating to reinstall (or just delete the bones
    > files?) if you're fed up of getting nuked by ghosts?

    The ghost are unlinked once loaded. Unlike in nethack where bones files
    are a mixed lot Crawl's bones are just another type of monster so
    deleting them would be as much cheating as commenting out Sigmund if
    you'Re fed up being blasted by him. OTOH it's not my business what you
    do behind closed doors.

    > One of my dead
    > guys had a weapon of draining, and I lost 2 levels taking him out with
    > my latest chopper. Got the bastard though :)

    See, worked, didn't it? Remember, ghosts don't follow you up/down stairs.

    Lars
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Lars Kecke <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
    >The ghost are unlinked once loaded. Unlike in nethack where bones files
    >are a mixed lot Crawl's bones are just another type of monster so
    >deleting them would be as much cheating as commenting out Sigmund if
    >you'Re fed up being blasted by him. OTOH it's not my business what you
    >do behind closed doors.

    To my mind, *always* deleting ghosts is not cheating, just as *always*
    deleting Nethack bones files is not cheating. Selectively deleting
    ghosts, on the other hand, *is* cheating. I believe that the player
    should always have the option of not having the *mechanics* of game /N/
    being affected by the *outcomes* of games 1 through /N/ - 1, but that
    they should exercise that option in a consistent direction.
    My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
    bounce. bounce. bounce. bounce bounce bounce bounce.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:

    [questions]

    What Lars said; just to supplement his bit on the stashes: I don't find
    it inconvenient to run back and forth to the top of the Lair even when
    I'm diving the very bottom of the dungeon -- by the time you get deep
    enough where you might think it'd be annoying, you tend to have an
    amulet of the gourmand, so you can stock up before you start the trip.
    And just running from stair to stair to stair takes up surprisingly few
    turns and of course nearly no time as long as you have the Darshan patch.

    Erik
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > After my last couple of posts I've had a run of what seems amazingly
    > bad luck, even by crawl standards. 10 characters didn't even get to the
    > temple before being faced with almost impossible situations and dying.
    > GRRR!
    >
    > Love the game when I seem to be doing well, but...

    Didn't go with the Mino Monk suggestion? I find those pretty hard to kill
    early in the game.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>After my last couple of posts I've had a run of what seems amazingly
    >>bad luck, even by crawl standards. 10 characters didn't even get to the
    >>temple before being faced with almost impossible situations and dying.
    >>GRRR!
    >>
    >>Love the game when I seem to be doing well, but...
    >>

    > Didn't go with the Mino Monk suggestion? I find those pretty hard to kill
    > early in the game.

    Heh. The other day, in order to test my suspicion that TileCrawl goes
    beyond just interface changes and changes the "staves and unarmed" code
    to match the comments without having to source dive, I launched a MiMo
    and grabbed the first quarterstaff I saw (i.e. played very much against
    the grain of easy success) and STILL kept going for level after level,
    weakened by the deliberate (for testing purposes) bad decision, but
    still quite viable.

    They're good. :-)

    Erik
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Erik Piper" <erNOikSP@skyAM.cz> wrote in message
    > Glen Wheeler wrote:
    >> "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>After my last couple of posts I've had a run of what seems amazingly
    >>>bad luck, even by crawl standards. 10 characters didn't even get to the
    >>>temple before being faced with almost impossible situations and dying.
    >>>GRRR!
    >>>
    >>>Love the game when I seem to be doing well, but...
    >>>

    >> Didn't go with the Mino Monk suggestion? I find those pretty hard to
    >> kill early in the game.
    >
    > Heh. The other day, in order to test my suspicion that TileCrawl goes
    > beyond just interface changes and changes the "staves and unarmed" code to
    > match the comments without having to source dive, I launched a MiMo and
    > grabbed the first quarterstaff I saw (i.e. played very much against the
    > grain of easy success) and STILL kept going for level after level,
    > weakened by the deliberate (for testing purposes) bad decision, but still
    > quite viable.
    >
    > They're good. :-)

    :) Does tilecrawl change that part of the code? I would be curious, as I
    prefer the tiled game.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > "Erik Piper" <erNOikSP@skyAM.cz> wrote in message
    > > Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > >> "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    [Minotaur Monks are good.]

    > > Heh. The other day, in order to test my suspicion that TileCrawl
    goes
    > > beyond just interface changes and changes the "staves and unarmed"
    code to
    > > match the comments without having to source dive, I launched a MiMo
    and
    > > grabbed the first quarterstaff I saw (i.e. played very much against
    the
    > > grain of easy success) and STILL kept going for level after level,
    > > weakened by the deliberate (for testing purposes) bad decision, but
    still
    > > quite viable.
    > >
    > > They're good. :-)
    >
    > :) Does tilecrawl change that part of the code? I would be
    curious, as I
    > prefer the tiled game.

    Yes -- in Tilecrawl, the code must have been changed in this regard to
    match the comments, because you *do* get to punch while wielding a
    staff in Tilecrawl.

    (I already knew this about TileCrawl at the time of that testing, but I
    wasn't sure if I and everybody else hadn't just been overlooking it in
    ASCII Crawl, so the mentioned testing was of ASCII Crawl's behavior.)

    Erik

Games Video Games