[crawl] input sought KoAs

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

12 the Cutter (Kobold)
(Level 9 Assassin)

Play time: 01:58:15 Number of turns: 8880

Experience : 9/2698
Strength 10 Dexterity 19 Intelligence 10
Hit Points : 51 Magic Points : 11
AC : 14 Evasion : 12 Shield : 0
GP : 125

You are in the Ecumenical Temple.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+2 short sword (weapon)
b - a +0 blowgun
h - an uncursed orcish short sword
z - a +1,+3 dagger
M - a dwarven short sword
Missiles
e - 5 poisoned +0 needles
m - 37 elven darts
r - 17 darts
W - 21 poisoned needles
Armour
d - a +0 cloak
p - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
s - an orcish leather armour
B - a +0 dwarven cloak (worn)
K - a +0 pair of elven gloves (worn)
L - the +3 leather armour "Asyhigow"
It affects your strength (+3).
It makes you much less stealthy.

Q - a +2 robe
R - a +5 orcish leather armour (worn)
Magical devices
c - a tapered brass wand
N - a runed brass wand
Comestibles
f - 2 meat rations
Scrolls
g - a scroll of blinking
l - a scroll labeled IRIDUMUCE
o - 8 scrolls of teleportation
q - a scroll labeled DABITAX
w - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon I
F - a scroll labeled OLEVIFYTULEVYD
H - 4 scrolls of remove curse
O - 2 scrolls labeled RUNYCINYCUQI
P - a scroll labeled GYXINON {tried}
U - a scroll of enchant armour
Jewellery
t - an uncursed iron ring
v - a +3 ring of strength
D - an amulet of rage (around neck)
E - a cursed +4 ring of protection (right hand)
G - an amulet of clarity
Z - a ring of invisibility (left hand)
Potions
i - 4 potions of heal wounds
j - a potion of berserk rage
k - 3 potions of healing
n - 2 potions of restore abilities
u - 3 potions of might
x - 2 silvery potions
y - a potion of poison
I - a blue potion
Books
A - a book of Charms
C - a book of Surveyances
J - a book of Frost

You have 4 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 4 Fighting
+ Level 10 Short Blades
- Level 3 Darts
- Level 3 Throwing
+ Level 6 Dodging
+ Level 5 Stealth
+ Level 4 Stabbing
+ Level 2 Evocations

You have 8 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Obviously, this guy is about to dump some gear into the ET stash, and I
also need to pick a religion. I planned on going with Trog, until I
found that amulet of rage, which seems to me to make a big difference.
I've never tried Okuwhatsit. I remember reading that he has some good
benefits and is as easy to please as Trog.

I'm not relying so much on the blowgun as I was early on. I've been
collecting darts because I was thinking of getting a hand crossbow
although a regular xbow might be fine too. While I have a nice
collection of spellbooks, the only ones spells of major interest are
the enchantments silence, repel missiles and Ozocubu's Armour--
invisibility is too hard to be much use and plus I have the ring
already. The divinations look cool, I guess. I've never used any. Of
course, I won't be using any this game, either, if I go with Trog.

This next one might be a dumb question, but how bad for stealth is
wearing leather armour? I think I was really lucky to find a +4 leather
so early (not to mention boots, cloaks, and gloves). If I'm trying to
be sneaky, should I change into a robe first or should I forget about
robes?

I've been training evocations by going berserk when I have spare
experience and food. Even so, my ability to evoke invisibility and rage
hasn't improved that I've noticed. How many levels of evocations do I
need to make them reliable?

I asked some of the same questions in another thread. I thought it
might be an interesting enough topic to warrant its own, though.

This is a good example of the problem of me and roguelikes. As soon as
I get a character that I like going I get paralyzed for fear of making
a mistake and run off to consult newsgroups and spoiler sites.
10 answers Last reply
More about crawl input sought koas
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    I'll use this post to answer the questions that are related to it that
    you first raised in the other post.

    smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hand weapons
    > M - a dwarven short sword

    In the early game, I'm the impulsive sort myself, always wield-testing
    immediately if I have ?oRC to spare, though I guess even I would wait
    with this item until I had some untested armor/jewellery to match (so I
    could do multiple uncursings at once if relevant and thus save myself a
    scroll or two).

    > Armour
    > L - the +3 leather armour "Asyhigow"
    > It affects your strength (+3).
    > It makes you much less stealthy.

    Crawl knows... Craaaaaawl knooooooooows...

    > Magical devices
    > c - a tapered brass wand
    > N - a runed brass wand

    Maybe just a style thing, but I'd test these on a rat or whatever.

    > P - a scroll labeled GYXINON {tried}

    ....and test this with a foo in view and a wand in my hand.

    > Jewellery
    > E - a cursed +4 ring of protection (right hand)

    Oh! Speaks a bit more in favor of wield-testing the dwarven short sword,
    although OTOH there's no hurry uncursing a ring of that quality even in
    the late early game.

    > Books
    > A - a book of Charms

    A pretty nice book. If you go the non-Trog route, you'll have a fairly
    easy time getting Enchantments to be your highest spell skill, giving
    you a decent shot at the Book of War Chants from Acquirement.

    > C - a book of Surveyances

    Also a nice one due to Detect Traps and Detect Creatures.

    > J - a book of Frost

    A nice little book for a potential stabbing reaver...

    > Obviously, this guy is about to dump some gear into the ET stash, and I
    > also need to pick a religion. I planned on going with Trog, until I
    > found that amulet of rage, which seems to me to make a big difference.

    Plus there are those books, quite a useful collection in light of your
    dlevel and combo. It's a hard choice. A subtle but powerful nice thing
    about Trog is that he only sends weapons, which really ups your chance
    of getting a quick blade out of him compared to Okie, and really ups
    your chance of finding one usefully early, period. OTOH you can start
    getting a lot of benefit out of even just your current spellbook set if
    you go for some other god. You may have to live without a quick blade,
    though, or watch a lot of ?oA produce daggers of holy wrath and hope for
    the best.

    > I've never tried Okuwhatsit. I remember reading that he has some good
    > benefits and is as easy to please as Trog.

    Even easier. Trog has an evil bent and, while he turns a blind eye to
    the destruction of evil, he's not actually pleased by it. Okie, not
    Trog, is the *true* kill 'em all god. Kill 'em all! Every single kill
    makes him happy. (Except for wisps and dancing weapons, which EVERY
    consecration god considers to be unbeings for some reason.)

    If you're feeling lucky enough to not want a helping hand with picking
    up equipment and want to account for the possibility of getting War
    Chants before an AoRS, Ely is very good: among other things, his second
    power *cures*. *slowing*. Tremble before the power of those two words.

    Makhleb has been a big community hit lately, though I don't have much
    experience with him and will leave his praises to the people who can
    better say why.

    > I'm not relying so much on the blowgun as I was early on. I've been
    > collecting darts because I was thinking of getting a hand crossbow
    > although a regular xbow might be fine too.

    They're both good; generally I've started with the former and graduated
    to the latter due to the relative lack of punch on a hand crossbow (but
    I'm a big speed freak, so Bevoker stuck with the (very rare) hand
    crossbow of speed he found).

    > While I have a nice
    > collection of spellbooks, the only ones spells of major interest are
    > the enchantments silence, repel missiles and Ozocubu's Armour--

    That's a little like saying the only Trog benefits of interest are
    berserking, might, and the rain of acquirement-level weapons.

    > invisibility is too hard to be much use and plus I have the ring
    > already. The divinations look cool, I guess. I've never used any. Of
    > course, I won't be using any this game, either, if I go with Trog.

    I've found Might to be useful for more finicky eaters since it doesn't
    balk even if you're really hungry. But even with kobolds, I sometimes
    used it when I was a bit worried what would pop up 20 turns ahead.

    > This next one might be a dumb question, but how bad for stealth is
    > wearing leather armour?

    Not very. The armour hit to stealth is a bit unusual within the Crawl
    armour-related ruleset in that it looks at weight in AUM, not evasion
    modifier. And that ain't all too much for leather; I wore leather a lot
    with Bevoker. (And whips! And chains!)

    > I think I was really lucky to find a +4 leather
    > so early (not to mention boots, cloaks, and gloves). If I'm trying to
    > be sneaky, should I change into a robe first or should I forget about
    > robes?

    It's not cut-and-dried. Just think of the stealth hit as one factor
    among many. If you want to look at that hit scientifically, go to
    crawl.webpark.pl, then enter the Stealth section. And greet Loonie for
    me. :-)

    > I've been training evocations by going berserk when I have spare
    > experience and food. Even so, my ability to evoke invisibility and rage
    > hasn't improved that I've noticed. How many levels of evocations do I
    > need to make them reliable?

    case ABIL_EVOKE_TURN_INVISIBLE:
    case ABIL_EVOKE_TELEPORTATION:
    failure = 60 - 2 * you.skills[SK_EVOCATIONS];
    break;

    With no Evocations it's a 40% chance of success, with success rate going
    up by 2% for each level of Evocations.

    case ABIL_EVOKE_BERSERK:
    failure = 50 - 2 * you.skills[SK_EVOCATIONS];

    Same as above, but 50% instead of 40%.

    (The "break;" is missing because the code goes on to give a bonus to
    ogres, dwarves, orcs, and especially trolls, which I don't want to get
    into.)

    Just BTW, not everything on the abilities screen uses Evocations or
    Invocations; a few things like mutation abilities factor in character
    level instead (often on top of mutation level).

    > I asked some of the same questions in another thread. I thought it
    > might be an interesting enough topic to warrant its own, though.
    >
    > This is a good example of the problem of me and roguelikes. As soon as
    > I get a character that I like going I get paralyzed for fear of making
    > a mistake and run off to consult newsgroups and spoiler sites.

    :-)))

    Erik
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Erik Piper wrote:
    > Not very. The armour hit to stealth is a bit unusual within the Crawl
    > armour-related ruleset in that it looks at weight in AUM, not evasion
    > modifier. And that ain't all too much for leather; I wore leather a lot
    > with Bevoker. (And whips! And chains!)

    Ah. Just like Kornel's compiler, then. ;)

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Here's the current character dump:

    Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

    12 the Knifefighter (Kobold)
    (Level 12 Assassin)

    Play time: 08:39:05 Number of turns: 24615

    Experience : 12/24402
    Strength 11 Dexterity 19 Intelligence 11
    Hit Points : 68 Magic Points : 18
    AC : 16 Evasion : 14 Shield : 0
    GP : 831

    You are in the Lair.
    You worship Okawaru.
    Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
    You are full.

    Inventory:
    Hand weapons
    a - a +6,+4 elven short sword of venom (weapon)
    b - a +1,+0 blowgun
    c - the +3,+3 short sword of Ydebivedfr
    It affects your evasion (+5).
    It makes you much more stealthy.
    It enhances your eyesight.

    v - an uncursed orcish dagger of electrocution
    L - a +2,+1 short sword
    Missiles
    i - 4 bolts
    s - 35 poisoned needles
    A - 20 poisoned elven needles
    M - 2 poisoned +0 needles
    Armour
    h - the -4 splint mail "Gimilisugal Mi"
    It affects your evasion (+5).
    It affects your dexterity (+1).

    p - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
    B - a +0 dwarven cloak (worn)
    K - a +0 pair of elven gloves (worn)
    R - a +5 orcish leather armour (worn)
    V - a +1 robe of magic resistance
    Magical devices
    f - a wand of frost
    j - a wand of magic darts
    l - a wand of frost
    G - a wand of polymorph other
    J - a wand of frost
    P - a bone wand
    W - a lead wand
    Comestibles
    e - 4 meat rations
    U - a royal jelly
    Y - a chunk of hobgoblin flesh
    Scrolls
    g - a scroll of blinking
    q - 2 scrolls of identify
    r - a scroll of magic mapping
    C - a scroll of enchant armour
    H - a scroll of recharging
    Q - 3 scrolls of teleportation
    S - a scroll of fear
    T - a scroll of remove curse
    Jewellery
    d - a ring of ice
    t - a ring of protection from magic
    D - an amulet of rage (around neck)
    E - a +4 ring of protection (right hand)
    F - a ring of strength
    Z - a ring of invisibility (left hand)
    Potions
    k - a potion of poison
    n - 2 potions of speed
    u - 2 potions of might
    w - a potion of levitation
    x - 2 potions of heal wounds
    z - a potion of mutation
    I - 2 potions of healing
    O - a murky pink potion
    X - a potion of restore abilities

    You have 219 experience left.

    Skills:
    + Level 8 Fighting
    + Level 15 Short Blades
    - Level 4 Darts
    - Level 3 Throwing
    + Level 10 Dodging
    + Level 7 Stealth
    + Level 6 Stabbing
    + Level 2 Spellcasting
    - Level 2 Divinations
    + Level 4 Evocations

    You have 9 spell levels left.
    You know the following spells:

    Your Spells Type Success
    Level
    a - Detect Traps Divination Good 2
    b - Detect Items Divination Good 2
    c - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Poor 2

    Mutations & Other Weirdness
    You are frail (-10 percent hp).

    Erik was right to recommend a god other than Okawaru. It came across
    with a decent artifact sword, but the other two gifts were both heavy
    armor. Plus the spell trip has been a bust so far. The mutation was
    from trying to train up spellcasting. I did OK training it in the ET
    but when I did it on D:12 or so, I got a lot of bad results, dunno why.
    The dump is prior to stashing, by the way. I also need to do some
    sacrificing or just plain ditching to free up slots. My ET stash has a
    couple unidentified potions. Hopefully one (or the one I'm carrying) is
    cure mutation. I might try mutating, if that's so.

    It's funny how different creatures are problematic now. I never had a
    problem with slime creatures with either the conjurer or berserkers,
    but a group of maybe 5 of them managed to get me down to 20 hp. A big
    part of that is that they are immune to poison, apparently.

    Haven't completed the Mines yet as I normally would because of a tricky
    stairway leading to a dead end-- it cost me 3 ?teleport to get out, all
    I had! I bailed hoping I'd find a ring of teleportation or artifact
    with teleport. I haven't finished the Lair, either, because I was
    hoping to find a fire sword. I've also found books of cantrips and
    wizardry. A store has wizardry, geomancy, air, poisoner's handbook,
    conjurations, party tricks, minor magic, control, cantrips.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Here's the current character dump:

    > a - a +6,+4 elven short sword of venom (weapon)

    Hand-enchanted? I'm not the early-hand-enchanting sort in general
    (always obsessedly hoping for that quick blade "around the corner"),
    but if I were, I'd go for a different ego than venom -- it's vastly
    powerful in its "era", but becomes more and more useless after that.

    > c - the +3,+3 short sword of Ydebivedfr
    > It affects your evasion (+5).
    > It makes you much more stealthy.
    > It enhances your eyesight.

    Just in case you were ever thinking of ditching this baby... waaaay
    keep this. Not as your "mainline" sword, but as your "stabbing sword"
    for when you've decided to go for a stab.

    Stabbing swords are so useful that Bevoker did Great Things with his
    first stabbing sword (a sword with a stealth bonus) even though it was
    -1,-5!

    > Jewellery
    > d - a ring of ice
    > t - a ring of protection from magic
    > D - an amulet of rage (around neck)
    > E - a +4 ring of protection (right hand)
    > F - a ring of strength
    > Z - a ring of invisibility (left hand)

    I don't know how well the invisibility thing is turning out for you,
    but if you're not really using it much, I'd check the bonus on the
    strength ring and, unless it's fairly high, say at least +4, then I'd
    sacrifice a few points of AC and switch into any light anti-fire armour
    you have laying around, then use the ring of ice and start training
    ice. Oz's armour, ice conjurations to finish off stragglers, metabolic
    englaciation, etc. ... there is a lot that can be done with ice.

    > Skills:
    > - Level 4 Darts
    > - Level 3 Throwing

    I was nervous about saying "ice conjurations" above, since I hadn't
    read the above yet... having read it, I'd say: the overlap of
    conjurations and the bit of darts skill would be livable. Kobolds
    aren't superb conjurers, but they're not awful ones either, and a
    parting shot tends to come in handy.

    > Level
    > a - Detect Traps Divination Good
    2
    > b - Detect Items Divination Good
    2

    You can die of accidentally meeting traps, and you can die of
    accidentally meeting creatures, but you can't die of accidentally
    finding an item. That's why I never learn Detect Items unless I know I
    can unlearn it. :-P

    > c - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Poor
    2

    The 0 to 2 gap is a killer when you've got low spellcasting and Int.
    The 11 Int is a problem overall, although on the bright side, precisely
    because it's so low, you'll see big improvements fast if you raise it.
    (I'd say one sees much more noticeable improvements to one's magic per
    point of Int overall than one does for combat per point of Dex or Str.)

    > Mutations & Other Weirdness
    > You are frail (-10 percent hp).

    Nasty, but could be much, much worse -- e.g. blurry vision and
    teleportitis can kill you, and map-rot can make you wish you were dead.

    > Erik was right to recommend a god other than Okawaru.

    He's not *bad*, he's just not the only option. Mainly you gotta hope
    that he comes through with something better than the above fairly soon.

    I'm running an Okie character at the moment (kenku with staves/light
    armour), and a certain portion of his actually-used equipment really is
    Okie stuff, FWIW.

    > It came across with a decent artifact sword, but the other two
    > gifts were both heavy armor.

    He'll do that over and over again, but every now and then he'll wake
    up, see the light, and send something useful before dozing off to his
    usual +4 plate mail sleep.

    > Plus the spell trip has been a bust so far.

    It'll get better.

    > The mutation was from trying to train up spellcasting.

    > I also need to do some sacrificing or just plain ditching to free up
    slots.

    Okie piety decays, so there's usually no point in making dedicated
    sacrifice runs -- you use up almost as much piety travelling as you can
    gain from the sacrifices. Plus, he's pretty easy to keep happy with
    kills/corpses alone.

    > It's funny how different creatures are problematic now. I never had a
    > problem with slime creatures with either the conjurer or berserkers,
    > but a group of maybe 5 of them managed to get me down to 20 hp. A big
    > part of that is that they are immune to poison, apparently.

    Yes -- they are. (They are problematic, and they are immune to poison.)
    Basically you just need to berserk to take them out at first. BTW never
    forget that not every monster can open doors... :-)

    > Haven't completed the Mines yet as I normally would because of a
    tricky
    > stairway leading to a dead end-- it cost me 3 ?teleport to get out,
    all
    > I had! I bailed hoping I'd find a ring of teleportation or artifact
    > with teleport. I haven't finished the Lair, either, because I was
    > hoping to find a fire sword. I've also found books of cantrips and
    > wizardry. A store has wizardry, geomancy, air, poisoner's handbook,
    > conjurations, party tricks, minor magic, control, cantrips.

    Wizardry has Detect Creatures, so you can get advance warning about
    those J's, D's, etc. It also has teleportation, but it'll be a long
    time until you'll be able to cast it. Same for other Wizardry spells.

    Geomancy is kindy iffy. Poison magic is brutally powerful in the early
    game, spotty in the midgame, nearly impotent in the endgame.
    Conjurations could be nice, especially if it's the ice/air book, a
    treat for fighting conjurers everywhere. Party Tricks's only saving
    grace IMO is blink, which you'll really appreciate if you choose the
    crossbows route instead of the ice route. Minor magic is a grab bag,
    since there's multiple types, some much better than others. Control is
    for far more advanced magicians than yours. Cantrips is a great way to
    get started with magic, but most of the spells are very close to
    useless in and of themselves.

    At least of these books has Summon Elemental, which can serve as a
    digging tool if you're able to take out or wait out the angry earth
    elementals that'll generate. It's a level 4 spell, though, so forget it
    unless you're willing to learn a level 1 or 2 summoning spell for
    training.

    Good luck and good cuisinarting!

    Erik
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Haven't completed the Mines yet as I normally would because of a tricky
    > stairway leading to a dead end-- it cost me 3 ?teleport to get out, all
    > I had!

    Why not just leave via the same stairs? I thought the danger in the
    mines was if you teleport into a disconnected area with no stairs, and
    run out of teleport and can't dig...

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    in article JqOdnevvCNtXhBPfRVn-gw@rogers.com, Twisted One at
    twisted0n3@gmail.invalid wrote on 5/20/05 1:10 PM:

    > smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> Haven't completed the Mines yet as I normally would because of a tricky
    >> stairway leading to a dead end-- it cost me 3 ?teleport to get out, all
    >> I had!
    >
    > Why not just leave via the same stairs? I thought the danger in the
    > mines was if you teleport into a disconnected area with no stairs, and
    > run out of teleport and can't dig...

    The stairs are kinda broken. You know how if you go down a brown staircase,
    when you come up you'll be standing on a different staircase? Well, some of
    the gray stairs work like that, too. So sometimes you can go down a gray
    staircase, then go back up and discover that you've come up in a different
    spot than you went down.

    So sometimes you go down, find a dead end, then go back up -- to another
    dead end. I think this can actually happen anywhere, but it's much more
    likely in the mines, which is why you should always have some means of
    escape if you go down past the first level.

    --
    Jeremey
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jeremey wrote:
    > in article JqOdnevvCNtXhBPfRVn-gw@rogers.com, Twisted One at
    > twisted0n3@gmail.invalid wrote on 5/20/05 1:10 PM:
    >
    >>smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Haven't completed the Mines yet as I normally would because of a tricky
    >>>stairway leading to a dead end-- it cost me 3 ?teleport to get out, all
    >>>I had!
    >>
    >>Why not just leave via the same stairs? I thought the danger in the
    >>mines was if you teleport into a disconnected area with no stairs, and
    >>run out of teleport and can't dig...
    >
    > The stairs are kinda broken. You know how if you go down a brown staircase,
    > when you come up you'll be standing on a different staircase? Well, some of
    > the gray stairs work like that, too. So sometimes you can go down a gray
    > staircase, then go back up and discover that you've come up in a different
    > spot than you went down.
    >
    > So sometimes you go down, find a dead end, then go back up -- to another
    > dead end. I think this can actually happen anywhere, but it's much more
    > likely in the mines, which is why you should always have some means of
    > escape if you go down past the first level.

    Strange. You'd think a potential game-ender bug like this would have
    been fixed by now...

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > > In the maintainer's eyes (and others I would assume) it's not a
    bug.

    > What? Going down and immediately back up stairs resulting in not
    ending
    > up where you started? That may make sense in Angband and in ADOM's
    > infinite dungeon but it doesn't make sense in a persistent dungeon
    like
    > Crawl's!

    In the case of the "brown" stairs, it's literally how it's supposed to
    work -- in a fantasy world, it can make "fantasy" sense -- once you
    accept the existence of magic itself in a milieu, magical stairs that
    are connected in non-real-world ways are hardly unbelievable. The
    "white" stairs are a bit of a trickier case, since one might say
    they're not "supposed" to be that way, whereas the brown stairs are
    "supposed" to be precisely that way. Fortunately, misconnected white
    stairs are, I'd say, rare.

    As for the game-ender part, well... dangerous monsters exist in, I'd
    think, all roguelikes, and could be considered game-enders, but nobody
    calls for their removal, as long as there's a reasonable hope of
    creating conditions for them not ending your game. And it's the same
    with brown stairs (and by extension, the arguably buggy occasional set
    of white stairs that acts the same way) -- a skilled Crawler knows
    where they have more than a faint chance of causing problems (mainly
    Orc:3/Orc:4 and Lair:9/Lair:10) and how to prepare for it -- and the
    preparations all involve things that are fairly easy to obtain by the
    time one's powerful enough to go down that deep comfortably in the
    first place.

    Erik
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
    > Jeremey wrote:
    >> in article JqOdnevvCNtXhBPfRVn-gw@rogers.com, Twisted One at
    >> twisted0n3@gmail.invalid wrote on 5/20/05 1:10 PM:

    >>>Why not just leave via the same stairs? I thought the danger in the
    >>>mines was if you teleport into a disconnected area with no stairs, and
    >>>run out of teleport and can't dig...
    >>
    >> The stairs are kinda broken. You know how if you go down a brown
    >> staircase,
    >> when you come up you'll be standing on a different staircase? Well, some
    >> of
    >> the gray stairs work like that, too. So sometimes you can go down a gray
    >> staircase, then go back up and discover that you've come up in a
    >> different
    >> spot than you went down.
    >>
    >> So sometimes you go down, find a dead end, then go back up -- to another
    >> dead end. I think this can actually happen anywhere, but it's much more
    >> likely in the mines, which is why you should always have some means of
    >> escape if you go down past the first level.
    >
    > Strange. You'd think a potential game-ender bug like this would have been
    > fixed by now...

    In the maintainer's eyes (and others I would assume) it's not a bug.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > In the maintainer's eyes (and others I would assume) it's not a bug.

    What? Going down and immediately back up stairs resulting in not ending
    up where you started? That may make sense in Angband and in ADOM's
    infinite dungeon but it doesn't make sense in a persistent dungeon like
    Crawl's!

Video Games