[CRAWL] ERIK! What do I am?

Marco the Ruinous

Race : Demonspawn Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
Class : Wizard Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
Worship : No God Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Level 8 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Exp 2544
Next Level 2771 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Exp Needed 227 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Spls.Left 2 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Gold 146 Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: +

HP : 41/ 50
MP : 20/ 20 Weapon staff of earth
Str : 10 Armour +2 robe
Int : 25 Shield none
Dex : 11 Helmet +1 dwarf helmet (int)
Armour Cl: 12 Cloak +2 orc cloak (curse)
Evasion : 16 Gloves +0 pair of gloves
Shield Cl: 0 Boots none
Amulet amulet of controlled flight
Play time : 01:32:41 Ring +2 ring of strength
Turns : 10602 Ring ring of protection from cold

You are on level 8.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
j - the +5,+5 dagger "Xinuhovibivemu"
It affects your strength (-2).
p - an uncursed bow
B - an uncursed elven blowgun
Q - an uncursed sabre
Missiles
e - 58 darts
f - 26 elven arrows
k - 41 elven darts
t - 23 +0 darts of ice
D - 41 poisoned orcish darts
T - 15 poisoned orcish needles
Armour
b - a +1 elven robe
+h - a cursed +2 orcish cloak (worn)
+o - a +1 dwarven helmet of intelligence (worn)
+w - a +2 robe (worn)
+X - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
Magical devices
v - a wand of slowing
P - a wand of confusion
Y - a wand of polymorph other
Comestibles
C - 3 meat rations
S - an apple
Scrolls
d - a scroll labeled ORKLPNFR {tried}
l - 6 scrolls of remove curse
s - 2 scrolls of identify
x - a scroll of teleportation
G - a scroll labeled MOKUWOSO {tried}
I - 2 scrolls of blinking
V - 4 scrolls of detect curse
Jewellery
i - an uncursed scratched steel ring
m - a ring of see invisible
+q - an amulet of controlled flight (around neck)
+E - a ring of protection from cold (left hand)
+J - a +2 ring of strength (right hand)
Potions
a - 3 potions of might
g - a potion of mutation
r - 2 potions of invisibility
z - a potion of poison
K - a potion of restore abilities
N - a potion of levitation
Books
c - a book of Minor Magic
n - a book of Geomancy
L - a book of Surveyances
Magical staves
+y - a staff of earth (weapon)

Skills:
- Level 1 Short Blades
+ Level 1 Staves
+ Level 1 Darts
+ Level 6 Dodging
+ Level 2 Stealth
+ Level 5 Spellcasting
+ Level 7 Conjurations
+ Level 1 Enchantments
+ Level 1 Transmigration
+ Level 4 Ice Magic
+ Level 1 Earth Magic

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Magic Dart Conjuration Excellent 1
b - Blink Translocation Good 2
c - Throw Frost Ice/Conjuration Great 2
d - Mephitic Cloud Poison/Air/Conjuration Good 3
e - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Great 3
f - Confusing Touch Enchantment Very Good 1
g - Stoneskin Earth/Transmigration Very Good 2
h - Sandblast Earth/Transmigration Very Good 1

Mutations & Other Weirdness
* You are completely covered in supple grey scales (AC + 3).
* You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field (ev + 3).
You digest meat inefficiently.

Vanquished Creatures
An ice beast (D:9)
An ogre (D:9)
3 centaurs
Sigmund (D:8)
An orc warrior (D:9)
3 killer bees
4 imps
A human (D:6)
6 hounds
2 giant ants
6 orc wizards
An orc priest (D:4)
A wight (D:9)
A shadow (D:10)
A giant iguana (D:9)
4 scorpions
Ijyb (D:2)
5 jellies
3 gnolls (D:6)
13 snakes
2 worms (D:6)
Terence (D:2)
An ooze (D:6)
2 giant eyeballs
Jessica (D:2)
A giant ant zombie (D:9)
13 giant bats
10 jackals
28 orcs
10 hobgoblins
6 giant cockroaches
12 goblins
3 orc zombies
15 rats
14 kobolds
A small snake (D:7)
2 quokkas
6 giant newts
2 giant geckos

189 creatures vanquished.

--
Getix "Il Cromista", PPPPP (Pilota Portato Per Pericolose Pirlate), (21, 90,
MI)

Jeepers! I'm many things, including talkative and opininoated, but some
sort of Crawl god I ain't! ;-)

However, I'll be happy to make a few notes on Marco (see "talkative" and
"opinionated" above).

Getix wrote:
> Marco the Ruinous
>
> Race : Demonspawn Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
> Class : Wizard Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
> Worship : No God Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .

Playing without a god (unless you're a Demigod) is a challenge game. :)
So...

Which to pick depends on your overall skills path. If you go pure-mage,
then out of the gods available to a Demonspawn, it's SM or Vehumet all
the way. Because good spells are not themselves all that hard to find,
SM is mostly about the Forget Spell power: you may have to go to Hell
and back twice (literally) to get the equivalent spell, "Selective
Amnesia," so Forget Spell is really nice that way. But if you feel
confident that you can make spell-choice decisions that you can stick
with all game long if you're forced, then Vehumet offers a lot more:
better conjuring/summoning, more MP, and just a few books... but very,
very good ones.

If you go fighter-mage, then the above two are still just fine, but you
can also consider Okie and Makhleb. As a Demonspawn, you can raise your
Invocations skill unusually fast, and both Oki and Mac have some really
nice invocations. But note that some of Mac's invocations overlap with
your own conjurations and possibly will overlap with your Demonspawn
powers before you're through.

Xom and Nemelex are both loads of fun (and Nemelex can make you insanely
powerful), but you won't get any invocations out of them. More
importantly, Xom is very unpredictable, and Nemelex won't really start
helping you until you can afford to play with cards, which won't be for
quite some time.

> Comestibles
> C - 3 meat rations
> S - an apple

I push people to travel light a lot, and I maybe I convinced you. Just
keep in mind, once you start travelling in places like the Snake Pits
and the Elven Halls, that you can easily end up in the Abyss from a Zot
trap or a sneaky Deep Elf Mage, and that a little extra food (6 rations
or so) is a great help in the Abyss -- you can convert it into emergency
spell points if you're worshipping Vehumet, for example.

Also, once you have something to lose (i.e. it's not worth caring about
on the first few levels), never wield-test a runed or glowing weapon
without being prepared to survive the Abyss. Or at least levitate
(levitation, not flight) before you do it. ;-)

> Scrolls
> d - a scroll labeled ORKLPNFR {tried}
> l - 6 scrolls of remove curse
> s - 2 scrolls of identify
> x - a scroll of teleportation
> G - a scroll labeled MOKUWOSO {tried}
> I - 2 scrolls of blinking
> V - 4 scrolls of detect curse

Detect Curse is almost as useful "at home" as for "operations"; I
certainly wouldn't carry more than 1 of them. Remove Curse is useful
during operations, but I still wouldn't carry more than 2. If you have
more scrolls of teleportation, carry them; on the other hand, I'd
suggest carrying only 1 scroll of blinking. (For the opposite opinion
and the reasons behind it, read the most recent post by Jeremey Wilson.)

> Jewellery
> i - an uncursed scratched steel ring

ID this unless you already know what it is.

> m - a ring of see invisible
> +q - an amulet of controlled flight (around neck)

The moment you find anything else (unless it's something worthless like
Resist Corrosion), switch this out.

> +E - a ring of protection from cold (left hand)
> +J - a +2 ring of strength (right hand)
> Potions
> a - 3 potions of might

2 will probably get you through, but it's not such a big deal.

> g - a potion of mutation

These are pretty valuable; I'd stash this.

> r - 2 potions of invisibility
> z - a potion of poison
> K - a potion of restore abilities

This too is just as useful "at home" as on the road.

> N - a potion of levitation
> Books
> c - a book of Minor Magic
> n - a book of Geomancy
> L - a book of Surveyances

Detect Traps can save you from the Abyss, and Detect Creatures can give
you advance warning of big D's and the like. You might really appreciate
having these two.

A little story. My skill at this game is largely the result of
religiously reading the history of r.g.r.m. and absorbing the words of
past masters. :) One of these masters is Mark Mackey (who's also the
author of the swallowtail.org Crawl spoilers site). Once when someone
asked "Is Detect Creatures useful?", Mark piped in with something like
"if by 'useful' you mean 'I learn it the first moment I can and never
unlearn it all game long,' then yes, it's useful."

:)

> Magical staves
> +y - a staff of earth (weapon)
>

> Skills:
> - Level 1 Short Blades
> + Level 1 Staves
> + Level 1 Darts
> + Level 6 Dodging
> + Level 2 Stealth
> + Level 5 Spellcasting
> + Level 7 Conjurations
> + Level 1 Enchantments
> + Level 1 Transmigration
> + Level 4 Ice Magic
> + Level 1 Earth Magic

You haven't committed yourself to a weapon yet. This is good if you plan
to go the fighter-mage route, because once you decide to start building
a weapon skill, you can choose it based on the best weapon you have
instead of a decision you might have made early on when you didn't know
so much about the best early weapons the dungeon would provide to Marco.

> You have 2 spell levels left.

The only question, then, is whether Detect Traps or Detect Creatures.
:) Probably Detect Creatures -- Detect Traps only really becomes useful
once Zot traps start showing up.

> You know the following spells:
>
> Your Spells Type Success Level
> a - Magic Dart Conjuration Excellent 1
> b - Blink Translocation Good 2
> c - Throw Frost Ice/Conjuration Great 2
> d - Mephitic Cloud Poison/Air/Conjuration Good 3
> e - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Great 3
> f - Confusing Touch Enchantment Very Good 1

A bit of a shame -- this isn't very useful if you're not fighting
barehanded to begin with.

> g - Stoneskin Earth/Transmigration Very Good 2

This is useless unless you're wearing heavy armour (non-Elven armour
with an evasion penalty of 2 or more). Wearing heavy armour actually
*is* an option for a spellcaster, but to do well with it, you usually
need to stick to the lightest heavy armours (ring/scale/dragon/ice
dragon/swamp dragon) and you always need to have fail rates so low that
you can afford the penalty from your armour. Slapping on a ring mail
right now would bring your Mephitic Cloud down to "fair" or worse. I'd
stick to the robe for now. :)

> h - Sandblast Earth/Transmigration Very Good 1

Oof. This spell gives a good punch for the money, but it really doesn't
do anything magic dart wouldn't also do sooner or later.

Based on the above, you may have as much as 4 slots worth of spells that
should be cleaned out of your list, so Sif Muna may be quite useful
after all.

> Mutations & Other Weirdness
> * You are completely covered in supple grey scales (AC + 3).
> * You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field (ev + 3).
> You digest meat inefficiently.

This one is a bit risky. If you get 2 levels of it, you can't eat chunks
or meat rations. Once I got 2 levels of it in the Swamp and never got
rid of it until the end of game. That was painful, and it eventually
indirectly killed me (couldn't afford to spend food to make my game
easier). So at this point, voluntarily mutating yourself is more
dangerous than usual -- there's one more possibility than usual of a
mutation spoiling your game unless you have a !oCM.

[killed stuff]

Your main decision right now is: pure spellcaster or fighter-mage? I'd
suggest the fighter-mage -- your skill aptitudes are balanced between
fighting and spellcasting, and your starting stats and involuntary stat
gains are also balanced. If you only cast spells, your very nice
strength and dexterity will partly be wasted.

Erik

> Jeepers! I'm many things, including talkative and opininoated, but some
> sort of Crawl god I ain't! ;-)

LOL :D

> However, I'll be happy to make a few notes on Marco (see "talkative" and
> "opinionated" above).

:-D
On myself? :p

> Playing without a god (unless you're a Demigod) is a challenge game. :)
> So...

That was not what i did want.... The stairs to the ET where in a place of
the dungeon that i could not reach :(

>> Jewellery
>> i - an uncursed scratched steel ring
>
> ID this unless you already know what it is.

No ID avaible...

>> +q - an amulet of controlled flight (around neck)
>
> The moment you find anything else (unless it's something worthless like
> Resist Corrosion), switch this out.

Did not have anything else to put on :)

>> Books
>> c - a book of Minor Magic
>> n - a book of Geomancy
>> L - a book of Surveyances
>
> Detect Traps can save you from the Abyss, and Detect Creatures can give
> you advance warning of big D's and the like. You might really appreciate
> having these two.

Good!

> past masters. :) One of these masters is Mark Mackey (who's also the

Oh, he has the same name I have :-D

>> Skills:
>> - Level 1 Short Blades
>> + Level 1 Staves
>> + Level 1 Darts
>> + Level 6 Dodging
>> + Level 2 Stealth
>> + Level 5 Spellcasting
>> + Level 7 Conjurations
>> + Level 1 Enchantments
>> + Level 1 Transmigration
>> + Level 4 Ice Magic
>> + Level 1 Earth Magic
>
> You haven't committed yourself to a weapon yet. This is good if you plan
> to go the fighter-mage route, because once you decide to start building a
> weapon skill, you can choose it based on the best weapon you have instead
> of a decision you might have made early on when you didn't know so much
> about the best early weapons the dungeon would provide to Marco.

Well, i did not find any really good weapon around... Just used SoE to
improve Stone Arrow...

>> g - Stoneskin Earth/Transmigration Very Good 2
>
> This is useless unless you're wearing heavy armour (non-Elven armour with
> an evasion penalty of 2 or more). Wearing heavy armour actually *is* an
> option for a spellcaster, but to do well with it, you usually need to
> stick to the lightest heavy armours (ring/scale/dragon/ice dragon/swamp
> dragon) and you always need to have fail rates so low that you can afford
> the penalty from your armour.

Ok... (/me makes mental note)

>> h - Sandblast Earth/Transmigration Very Good 1
>
> Oof. This spell gives a good punch for the money, but it really doesn't do
> anything magic dart wouldn't also do sooner or later.

Learned it mainly to use it in cnjuction with Staff...

>> Mutations & Other Weirdness
>> * You are completely covered in supple grey scales (AC + 3).
>> * You are surrounded by a moderate repulsion field (ev + 3).
>> You digest meat inefficiently.
>
> This one is a bit risky. If you get 2 levels of it, you can't eat chunks
> or meat rations. Once I got 2 levels of it in the Swamp and never got rid
> of it until the end of game. That was painful, and it eventually
> indirectly killed me (couldn't afford to spend food to make my game
> easier). So at this point, voluntarily mutating yourself is more dangerous
> than usual -- there's one more possibility than usual of a mutation
> spoiling your game unless you have a !oCM.

I know... the main problem was that i DID not want to get this mutation...
Tried to ID potion by quaffing... and second potion was mutation, which gave
me 1 point of INT, 1 of STR and this mutation

> Your main decision right now is: pure spellcaster or fighter-mage? I'd
> suggest the fighter-mage -- your skill aptitudes are balanced between
> fighting and spellcasting, and your starting stats and involuntary stat
> gains are also balanced. If you only cast spells, your very nice strength
> and dexterity will partly be wasted.

Bah, just died.... thank you anyway ;)