[Crawl] Skills and improvement

Is it possibile to improve fighting skill (mainly for HP) with a Wizard? And
Throwing?

How do you increase Stealth?

For Dodging skill, every time you dodge a shot/an hit, it trains a little?

--
Getix "Il Cromista", PPPPP (Pilota Portato Per Pericolose Pirlate), (21, 90,
MI)

Getix wrote:
> Is it possibile to improve fighting skill (mainly for HP) with a Wizard?

Of course. Hit a few rats/goblins/plants(only for the first 2 levels) in
melee.

> And Throwing?

sure. Throw a few darts. But why do you want to as a wizard?

> How do you increase Stealth?

moving around without heavy armour and with XP to spare.

> For Dodging skill, every time you dodge a shot/an hit, it trains a little?

right, unless you're wearing heavy armour.

Lars

it should be noted that "heavy armor" is deemed as anything with more
then 2 base AC points worth of protection. So if something has 3 or
more armor points, it's deemed "heavy armor" As well, the ONLY way to
increase your skills is to have exp in your exp pool. When you first
make a character in the game it's stats looks like:
"Experience: 1/0 (25)"

The (25) is your experience pool. Whenever you get hit, hit something,
search, cast magic, or do *anything* exp is spent on that skill from
the pool.
to turn a skill OFF and stop it from using exp from the pool, press the
'm' key and press the letter key which is next to the skill you want to
turn off. Thus, you can turn off something like stealth when you have a
fighter, or turn off something you think you wont need for a while.
And you CAN turn off everything, so you can build your pool up and then
train something specific more easilly.

Mechanoid wrote:
> it should be noted that "heavy armor" is deemed as anything with more
> then 2 base AC points worth of protection. So if something has 3 or
> more armor points, it's deemed "heavy armor" As well, the ONLY way to
> increase your skills is to have exp in your exp pool. When you first
> make a character in the game it's stats looks like:
> "Experience: 1/0 (25)"

You don't have the game name in the subject, but it sounds like, and I
will assume it is, Crawl.

Heavy armor has 2 or more evasion penalty and isn't elven, or is
dwarven. That is, if it is dwarven it's heavy; if it is elven it isn't;
otherwise it is if it's -2 to evasion or worse and not if it's -1 to
evasion or no evasion penalty applies.

Twisted One wrote:
> Mechanoid wrote:
> > it should be noted that "heavy armor" is deemed as anything with
more
> > then 2 base AC points worth of protection. So if something has 3 or
> > more armor points, it's deemed "heavy armor" As well, the ONLY way
> > increase your skills is to have exp in your exp pool. When you
first
> > make a character in the game it's stats looks like:
> > "Experience: 1/0 (25)"
>
> You don't have the game name in the subject, but it sounds like, and
> will assume it is, Crawl.

The old US conservation saying (maybe it's widespread throughout the
world) of "leave the woods a cleaner place than you found them" applies
here. ;-)

> Heavy armor has 2 or more evasion penalty and isn't elven, or is
> dwarven. That is, if it is dwarven it's heavy; if it is elven it
isn't;
> otherwise it is if it's -2 to evasion or worse and not if it's -1 to
> evasion or no evasion penalty applies.

No need to complicate things with dwarven armours -- only elvenness
affects whether or not armour is "heavy" or "light."

In short:

1. [v]-check the armour and look at the evasion penalty.
2. Is the evasion penalty less than 2?
a. If yes, it's light, no need to think about it further.
b. If no, go to 3.
3. Is it Elven?
a. If yes, it's light.
b. If no, it's heavy.

Erik

Erik Piper writes:

> No need to complicate things with dwarven armours -- only elvenness
> affects whether or not armour is "heavy" or "light."
>
> In short:
>
> 1. [v]-check the armour and look at the evasion penalty.
> 2. Is the evasion penalty less than 2?
> a. If yes, it's light, no need to think about it further.
> b. If no, go to 3.
> 3. Is it Elven?
> a. If yes, it's light.
> b. If no, it's heavy.

Now I thought I had read in a spoiler somewhere that the degree of
heaviness affects the speed at which you train armor. But I can't find
that spoiler lately, and I really haven't been able to tell with my
last few characters, even after trying some deliberate tests.

Do you know if this is true, and if so, do you have any information
about how it works?

Igor D. WonderLlama wrote:
> Erik Piper writes:
>
>>No need to complicate things with dwarven armours -- only elvenness
>>affects whether or not armour is "heavy" or "light."
>>
>>In short:
>>
>>1. [v]-check the armour and look at the evasion penalty.
>>2. Is the evasion penalty less than 2?
>> a. If yes, it's light, no need to think about it further.
>> b. If no, go to 3.
>>3. Is it Elven?
>> a. If yes, it's light.
>> b. If no, it's heavy.
>

> Now I thought I had read in a spoiler somewhere that the degree of
> heaviness affects the speed at which you train armor. But I can't find
> that spoiler lately, and I really haven't been able to tell with my
> last few characters, even after trying some deliberate tests.
>
> Do you know if this is true, and if so, do you have any information
> about how it works?

Didn't know a single thing about it. But here's the training of armour
when you're hit by a ranged attack:

if (!player_light_armour() && one_chance_in(4)
&& random2(1000)
<= mass_item( you.inv[you.equip[EQ_BODY_ARMOUR]] ))

....and here it is for "just existing"...

if (one_chance_in(6))
// lowered random roll from 7 to 6 -- bwross
exercise(SK_ARMOUR, 1);

....and here it is for getting whomped on.

if (!player_light_armour() && coinflip()
&& random2(1000) <= body_arm_mass)
{
// raised from 1 {bwross}
exercise(SK_ARMOUR, (coinflip() ? 2 : 1));

So... yes! For both ranged and melee damage, it checks the *actual*
*"physical"* *weight* of the armour (after ensuring that it really is
"heavy" armour -- I left that part out) against 1000. I presume the
weight unit here is not AUM, but tenths of an AUM.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> exercise(SK_ARMOUR, (coinflip() ? 2 : 1));

Why not just use coinflip()+1? :)

Twisted One wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>
>> exercise(SK_ARMOUR, (coinflip() ? 2 : 1));
>
> Why not just use coinflip()+1? :)

because on some evil machines boolean true can be -1 or 127 or whatever.
Yes, I know, the mutation code uses the fact that true is 1, so it's not
fully consistent, but the rule is "never add numbers of different types".

Lars, writing in FORTRAN

Lars Kecke wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>
>> Erik Piper wrote:
>>
>>> exercise(SK_ARMOUR, (coinflip() ? 2 : 1));
>>
>> Why not just use coinflip()+1? :)
>
> because on some evil machines boolean true can be -1 or 127 or whatever.

First of all, coinflip() isn't a library routine but part of the game
code and presumably returns whatever Crawl's author wishes.

Second, I thought the standard was to treat anything nonzero as boolean
true, but when boolean expressions get assigned to an integer, true
becomes 1? At least in C++? And Crawl is written in C++.

> Yes, I know, the mutation code uses the fact that true is 1, so it's not
> fully consistent, but the rule is "never add numbers of different types".

Booleans are not a different type from ints in C, and are treated as a
single-bit integer type in C++, so I don't know what you're trying to
get at here.

> Lars, writing in FORTRAN

Which makes me wonder just how much you know about C++...