fried CPU ala-cart

G

What are the " outward physical signs"
of a burned chip? is it somrthing you
can see or smell other than the fact
the system is not runnig????

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kevern on 03/17/01 08:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

1. Remove the questionable chip
2. Place it in a functional computer, preferably replacing identical chip, but otherwise with appropriate standard settings for the chip as determined from motherboard documentation.
3. If it fails to boot, make a keychain.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well when mine fried it smelled awful. like an electrical fire (which it was, cept minus the fire part). you should have smelled it right after you burned it. if it smells bad you fried it. i think the smell was the blue glue stuff melting. (hehe)

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

The burning smell is epoxy, which is basically a polymer (plastic). But you'll live, Grizely1. That must have been a horrendous burn out..

G

I've never burned out any CPU. I have only overclocked Intel chips. They just shut down.

But the only burnable material is epoxy.. the card is fiberglass, which is made of epoxy and glass (silicon). The 'glue' for the chip itself is also epoxy.

G

ive never fried an amd. so what?

AMD. It gets you chicks.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I have! it was on the frying pan. after a while I did realise it should have been in the motherboard and not the frying pan!

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

I'm just answering Fugger's question, Mr_Man. But, for the record.. I won't waste money on a chip that I can't overclock without fear of destroying it. As soon as AMDs CPUs have a heat-activated shut down circuit, they'll be right on top of the list (assuming they are still performance leaders.. but don't hold your breath until your blue all over).

G

i dont have any fear of frying a duron. just last night i put one together and i dropped the duron 800 ON THE CARPET!! i almost shat myself, but it works fine. daymn, thats a good chip.

AMD. It gets you chicks.

G

Back to the origional topic of the post. Check the bottom of the chip. There should be sticker with some numbers on it. If it is brown then it is almost definitely fried.

May Fortune Favor The Foolish