heatstove

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Alienware Systems look ideal for gaming but have a huge price tag on, especially when you customize a system to your needs. It is near impossible not to go over the top and choose all the best components.

Would you THG posters have any reccomendations as far as buying a system from Alienware is concerned. It also came to my attention that the US Site offered alot more options when choosing which parts you want to include in your machine.

I guess it will take time for them to fully settle in the UK.

Should I wait untill The GeForce FX comes out or settle with the Radeon 9700 pro ALL in Wonder.

Oh and this is my first post here, and many more to come I hope :)

laters. ..[end]

dhlucke

Polypheme
Alienware is too expensive and if you search through this board (use the button on the left) you'll see that people have had some serious issues with them.

The GeForceFX runs at 77dB, is too hot, too heavy, costs too much, and performs worse than the 9700 Pro in many tests.

I would not recommend wasting your money on either a Alienware system or a GeForceFX.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

heatstove

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
dhlucke, The GeforceFX will improve over time surely, I read Tom's Guide on the FX and found that is was a worthy card despite the noise problems. I have no doubt in my mind that this problem will be overcome. However I will most probably settle with the Radeon in the mean time.

As for Alienware, I will still purchse from them but understand that many people have had problems with many vendors. I do not blme alienware because most people I have talked to have said good words about it, under gaming conditions that is.

I do respect your point of view and did request some advice and may stand back and observe my options for a moment.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Fair enough. Although I do recommend you read some other FX reviews such as the one at www.anandtech.com. You'll find that Tom's review isn't as in depth as the one there and elsewhere.

Also, keep an eye on Gainward. They're a company that claim to be releasing a GeForceFX at only 7 db. It's kinda expensive at $700, but if it's that quiet and the drivers improve, it'll be the GeForceFX to buy. I have bought a Gainward card before and highly recommend them.

Good luck

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yes it does

<font color=red>

Alienware, You're paying for the name, You'd be better off to build your own, if you do the math on their machines you'll find the parts don't come anywhere near the total price, just for an aliens head its not worth it, the case is similar to the Antec and Chieftec cases, and if you took the same money you'll pay Alienware and built your own, you'd have some serious hardware. The GF FX just doesn't perform that much better to put up with the dustbuster, I personally have enough cooling noise coming from my machine as it is, looking to quiet it down maybe with some water cooling not make it louder.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.