Another MDFi in over my head, but not apparently his.

Well, this Mountain Dwarf is doing rather better than the last one did.
But once again, I'm encountering a situation I have no idea how to deal
with. I've explored up to dungeon level 10, but haven't encountered any
branch entrances but the temple so far. There looks to be an unexplored
part of level 8, and it only has 2 down staircases I've yet seen, but
that brings me to the main problem - Dlevel 9 is an open level with
pools in it - and those pools have electric eels. When wandering within
visual range of those pools, the eels shoot bolts of lightning at me,
and those bolts seem to really bite into my hit points. Also, while
moving through the level now (after completely exploring Dlevel 10) I
spotted a Yak just before I went up the stairs. Should I be afraid of yaks?

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

<snip messages and screenshot>

Gognan the Cleaver (Mountain Dwarf)
(Level 9 Fighter)

Play time: 01:25:14 Number of turns: 9539

Experience : 9/3934
Strength 21 Dexterity 12 Intelligence 8
(Is 8 intelligence enough, or should I keep increasing it?)

Hit Points : 69/71 Magic Points : 5
AC : 13 Evasion : 7 Shield : 0
GP : 94

You are on level 8.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is greatly pleased with you.
(At least I know enough not to kill my friends this time around - or at
least I think so. No wands of enslavement yet.)
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+2 dwarven broad axe (weapon)
b - a +0,-1 bow of frost
(I'm sure this was +2,+2 at one point, before I whacked a jelly with it.
Stupid move. Anyway, I find it rather handy for weakening creatures as
they approach, or taking them down as they run away... but I haven't
been able to hit a fish or eel with it, not even once. Am I just too
poor at bows?)
Q - an orcish war axe
(I must have forgotten to drop this. I certainly planned to.)
Missiles
P - 78 arrows
Armour
d - a +1 banded mail (worn)
f - a +0 cloak (worn)
g - a -1 pair of gloves (worn)
h - a +0 spiked helmet (worn)
i - a +0 pair of dwarven boots (worn)
(These got partially ruined by that jelly, and I used all of my scrolls
of Enchant Armour to get them up to +0 again. Well, except the gloves. I
hereby hate jellies, and now I just use a large pillar and run away from
them until I get a free space, then shoot them with my bow.)
Magical devices
c - a wand of fireball
(tested by zapping at a random orc in the middle of a large gang of
orcs... while not praying. You win some, you lose some.)
m - a bronze wand {tried}
(This apparently does nothing at all.)
O - a blackened glass wand
Comestibles
e - an apple
y - a choko
H - a meat ration
U - a chunk of orc flesh
(Yeah, I know, high contamination risk, but it's the only flesh I had
access to at the moment.)
Scrolls
j - 6 scrolls of teleportation
q - 2 scrolls labeled P BICYXK {tried}
s - a scroll of paper
w - a scroll of curse armour
A - 2 scrolls of identify
C - 7 scrolls labeled UFETI {tried}
D - 2 scrolls labeled YJEXID MUM {tried}
F - 2 scrolls of noise
I - 5 scrolls of curse weapon
K - a scroll labeled IXECEFYMECCHM {tried}
N - 4 scrolls labeled SIGYTEFI
R - 4 scrolls labeled C QUJIFAWAFU
T - a scroll labeled V N MECYCEHIB
(Going to stash a few of these. Maybe use those two scrolls of ID on the
{tried} ones?)
Jewellery
k - a steel ring
l - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
t - a ring of protection from fire (left hand)
(Very handy against orc wizards, I've found)
x - an uncursed steel ring
(Used to be cursed, though. No teleport while wearing it, I don't think.
What could it be?
G - a ring of protection from magic
S - a ring of protection from magic (right hand)
(Or should I wear both of these instead?)
Potions
o - 13 potions of healing
(Are these any use later in the game, so I should stash them, or should
I carry them around as food for the RNG if I encounter potion-shattering
creatures?)
p - 2 brown potions
r - 4 potions of invisibility
(Are these any use at all? Creatures seem to hit me just as often while
I'm invisible.)
z - 4 potions of restore abilities
(Going to stash at least 3 of these. Should I stash them all?)
B - a potion of confusion
E - 2 potions of heal wounds
J - a potion of paralysis
L - a red potion
Books
n - a paperback book
u - a paperback book
v - a book of Wizardry
Magical staves
M - a rod of demonology
(Seems to be no use at all to me, since Okie doesn't seem to like the
death of friends. What does Abjuration do, anyway?)

You have 38 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 6 Fighting
+ Level 10 Axes
- Level 1 Maces & Flails
+ Level 2 Bows
+ Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 5 Armour
(Should I train this more actively so as to be able to use heavier
armour when I find it?)
+ Level 4 Shields
+ Level 3 Traps & Doors

You have 8 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Vanquished Creatures
<snip>
A giant eyeball (D:7)
(This seemed much less malignant than in other roguelikes I've played.
What do they do?)
11 answers Last reply
More about another mdfi head apparently
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Electric eels are a bigger problem than yaks, IMO. Yaks are good to eat
    and tend to flee when you've beat on them hard enough. They usually
    show up in a pack, however.

    (Is 8 intelligence enough, or should I keep increasing it?)

    Should be plenty unless you want to cast spells.

    a - a +2,+2 dwarven broad axe (weapon)
    b - a +0,-1 bow of frost
    (I'm sure this was +2,+2 at one point, before I whacked a jelly with
    it.
    Stupid move. Anyway, I find it rather handy for weakening creatures as
    they approach, or taking them down as they run away... but I haven't
    been able to hit a fish or eel with it, not even once. Am I just too
    poor at bows?)

    The problem with bows of frost and flame is that they use up a lot of
    ammo. I know I've been able to take out eels with a bow, but usually if
    I can't get close I'll use a wand.

    Q - an orcish war axe
    (I must have forgotten to drop this. I certainly planned to.)

    Chances are the dwarf one is better but I'd at least test wield this
    one or stash it to test later after getting some other gear and ?remove
    curse.

    Missiles
    P - 78 arrows

    Plenty of ammo. I find I don't want to carry more than 40 arrows--
    usually less. That's not using a bow of flame/frost, though.

    Armour
    d - a +1 banded mail (worn)

    I like banded mail in the early going.

    f - a +0 cloak (worn)
    g - a -1 pair of gloves (worn)
    h - a +0 spiked helmet (worn)
    i - a +0 pair of dwarven boots (worn)
    (These got partially ruined by that jelly, and I used all of my scrolls
    of Enchant Armour to get them up to +0 again. Well, except the gloves.
    hereby hate jellies, and now I just use a large pillar and run away
    from
    them until I get a free space, then shoot them with my bow.)

    Jellies are another thing I use wands for a lot. Polymorph other comes
    in handy. As for burning through your ?enchant armor, stop that!
    Okawaru will probably give you better gear anyway and you'll almost
    certainly find better stuff.

    Magical devices
    c - a wand of fireball
    m - a bronze wand {tried}
    (This apparently does nothing at all.)

    Could be digging.

    O - a blackened glass wand

    I'd figure this one out, too.

    Comestibles
    e - an apple
    y - a choko
    H - a meat ration
    U - a chunk of orc flesh
    (Yeah, I know, high contamination risk, but it's the only flesh I had
    access to at the moment.)

    Sickness really isn't that big a deal unless you only have three of
    some stat or something.

    Scrolls
    j - 6 scrolls of teleportation
    q - 2 scrolls labeled P BICYXK {tried}
    s - a scroll of paper
    w - a scroll of curse armour
    A - 2 scrolls of identify
    C - 7 scrolls labeled UFETI {tried}
    D - 2 scrolls labeled YJEXID MUM {tried}
    F - 2 scrolls of noise
    I - 5 scrolls of curse weapon
    K - a scroll labeled IXECEFYMECCHM {tried}
    N - 4 scrolls labeled SIGYTEFI
    R - 4 scrolls labeled C QUJIFAWAFU
    T - a scroll labeled V N MECYCEHIB
    (Going to stash a few of these. Maybe use those two scrolls of ID on
    the
    {tried} ones?)

    I don't find scrolls valuable enough to use ID on. I think random
    uselessness, enchant weapon, detect curse, fear, remove curse, and
    recharge are the most likely ones to have problems with test
    identification, and none of those are worth using ID on unless you get
    bonus IDs and nothing to use it on. You're far enough down that you
    need to watch out for scrolls of immolation if you haven't ID'd that
    yet.

    Jewellery
    k - a steel ring
    l - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
    t - a ring of protection from fire (left hand)
    (Very handy against orc wizards, I've found)
    x - an uncursed steel ring
    (Used to be cursed, though. No teleport while wearing it, I don't
    think.
    What could it be?
    G - a ring of protection from magic
    S - a ring of protection from magic (right hand)
    (Or should I wear both of these instead?)

    Looks good the way it is IMO. The way to see if you have teleport is
    via the abilities screen.

    Potions
    o - 13 potions of healing
    (Are these any use later in the game, so I should stash them, or should
    I carry them around as food for the RNG if I encounter
    potion-shattering
    creatures?)

    I find them useful against poison, rot, and sickness. However, they're
    common enough that you can carry as many as you like. I don't know if
    carrying a lot of one kind helps prevent other potions from suffering
    freeze damage.

    p - 2 brown potions
    r - 4 potions of invisibility
    (Are these any use at all? Creatures seem to hit me just as often while
    I'm invisible.)

    I don't find them very useful for fighters. Stealthy characters do
    better with invisibility.

    z - 4 potions of restore abilities
    (Going to stash at least 3 of these. Should I stash them all?)

    I stash them unless I have the deterioration mutation.

    B - a potion of confusion
    E - 2 potions of heal wounds
    J - a potion of paralysis
    L - a red potion
    Books
    n - a paperback book
    u - a paperback book
    v - a book of Wizardry

    Unless you plan on learning spells, I'd read these to find out what
    they are and ditch them unless one turns out to be a manual. A book of
    surveyance might be useful because with that sort of thing you can take
    the time to take off armor and put on whatever items you have that give
    spellcasting bonuses. Really, though, if you spend your acquirements on
    staffs you should get plenty of spell ability (via rods, which you'll
    get if your evocation is your highest spell-related skill) that way
    with fewer talent slots taken.

    Magical staves
    M - a rod of demonology
    (Seems to be no use at all to me, since Okie doesn't seem to like the
    death of friends. What does Abjuration do, anyway?)

    Dunno, but if I were you I'd find out!

    You have 38 experience left.

    Skills:
    + Level 6 Fighting
    + Level 10 Axes
    - Level 1 Maces & Flails
    + Level 2 Bows
    + Level 2 Throwing
    + Level 5 Armour
    (Should I train this more actively so as to be able to use heavier
    armour when I find it?)

    Yes, IMO. I usually train up armor in the lair so I can wear heavy
    armor into the Mines. That seems to be the key to surviving all the
    free hits the orcs get. The gray rats in the Lair help train armor.
    Just let them have free hits while you have unallocated experience. I'd
    turn off throwing for a while and possibly axes to create more
    unallocated xp. I'd turn off bows, too. Dwarves are better with
    crossbows.

    + Level 4 Shields

    Didn't see a shield on your list. An easy way to train shields is to
    wield one while disarming bolt, arrow, and dart traps. You get the
    added bonus of suffering less damage, too.

    + Level 3 Traps & Doors

    You have 8 spell levels left.
    You don't know any spells.

    Vanquished Creatures
    <snip>
    A giant eyeball (D:7)
    (This seemed much less malignant than in other roguelikes I've played.
    What do they do?)

    Paralyze, I think, but seems to be of a short duration. I don't recall
    having any problems with them. Just don't eat one unless you're looking
    to mutate. I think I'm missing a lot of posts so I hope I'm not just
    saying what somebody else already said.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On 29 May 2005 07:52:40 -0700, smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Vanquished Creatures
    ><snip>
    >A giant eyeball (D:7)
    >(This seemed much less malignant than in other roguelikes I've played.
    >What do they do?)
    >
    >Paralyze, I think, but seems to be of a short duration. I don't recall
    >having any problems with them. Just don't eat one unless you're looking
    >to mutate. I think I'm missing a lot of posts so I hope I'm not just
    >saying what somebody else already said.

    Giant eyeballs are good eating. It's the other eyes you don't want to
    eat.

    --
    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com

    Magical staves
    M - a rod of demonology
    (Seems to be no use at all to me, since Okie doesn't seem to like the
    death of friends. What does Abjuration do, anyway

    ?)

    Abjuration makes summoned creatures dissapear.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "MICK" <homerotompson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Magical staves
    > M - a rod of demonology
    > (Seems to be no use at all to me, since Okie doesn't seem to like the
    > death of friends. What does Abjuration do, anyway
    >

    > ?)
    >
    > Abjuration makes summoned creatures dissapear.

    Hm. Random question for Erik or anyone else with knowledge of the source:
    how much piety does saccing items give? Is it worthwhile to go grab a bunch
    of weapons/armour/etc that you don't use and sac them? Like say, this rod,
    which would (I think) give some decent piety?

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message

    > Hm. Random question for Erik or anyone else with knowledge of the
    source:
    > how much piety does saccing items give? Is it worthwhile to go grab a
    bunch
    > of weapons/armour/etc that you don't use and sac them? Like say, this
    rod,
    > which would (I think) give some decent piety?

    Not worthwhile. Your chances of a piety gain are higher for more
    valuable items, but you always gain one point of piety, when you gain
    it. So you're better off hauling a hundred +0 needles to Elyvilon's
    altar than the +2 +8 executioner's axe Pukox Lot, for example.

    --
    Jeremey
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hm. Random question for Erik or anyone else with knowledge of the
    > source:
    >> how much piety does saccing items give? Is it worthwhile to go grab a
    > bunch
    >> of weapons/armour/etc that you don't use and sac them? Like say, this
    > rod,
    >> which would (I think) give some decent piety?
    >
    > Not worthwhile. Your chances of a piety gain are higher for more
    > valuable items, but you always gain one point of piety, when you gain
    > it. So you're better off hauling a hundred +0 needles to Elyvilon's
    > altar than the +2 +8 executioner's axe Pukox Lot, for example.

    Wow, how broken. Any chance of this being changed in the future, perhaps
    as part of Erik's patch?

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    > "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Not worthwhile. Your chances of a piety gain are higher for more
    > > valuable items, but you always gain one point of piety, when you
    gain
    > > it. So you're better off hauling a hundred +0 needles to Elyvilon's
    > > altar than the +2 +8 executioner's axe Pukox Lot, for example.
    > >

    > Wow, how broken. Any chance of this being changed in the future,
    perhaps
    > as part of Erik's patch?

    I'd think not. My guess is the intent's to keep the rewards for saccing
    items generally small. In most cases it's probably not worth hauling
    stuff to an altar. This is good: independence from altars is one of the
    reasons Crawl religion is way less annoying than religion in any other
    roguelike I'm aware of.

    --
    Jeremey
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jeremey Wilson wrote:
    > "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message
    >
    >> ...how much piety does saccing items give?
    >
    > ...So you're better off hauling a hundred +0 needles to Elyvilon's
    > altar than the +2 +8 executioner's axe Pukox Lot, for example.

    What gives more piety: saccing a corpse or killing a monster?
    Are all monsters/corpses the same in this regard?

    Rubinstein
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    This is strictly anecdotal but it seems to me that I'm more likely to
    go up to a new level in Trog's regard after killing in his name than
    sacrificing a corpse to him.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Tue, 30 May 2005 smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

    > This is strictly anecdotal but it seems to me that I'm more likely to
    > go up to a new level in Trog's regard after killing in his name than
    > sacrificing a corpse to him.

    From a brief glance at the source, it looks like you never gain more than
    1 unit of piety from any "good" action, regardless of if you're saccing
    something or killing something or whatever.
    What changes is how likely you are to gain that 1 point of piety.
    Killing in the name of a god has a higher chance of giving you piety than
    saccing a corpse, in general, although the probability that you'll get
    piety from a kill is proportional to the number of hit dice the kill has.

    (To be more precise, the probability is (I think) p(d(18+hitdice) > 5)
    where d(n) is a n-sided die, or about (13+hitdice)/(18+hitdice)

    The probability to gain piety from a corpse seems to be p(d(20) > 5), or
    about 3/4, but I'm not totally certain this is always the case.)

    Sam
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > Jeremey Wilson wrote:
    > > "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> ...how much piety does saccing items give?
    > >
    > > ...So you're better off hauling a hundred +0 needles to Elyvilon's
    > > altar than the +2 +8 executioner's axe Pukox Lot, for example.
    >
    > What gives more piety: saccing a corpse or killing a monster?
    > Are all monsters/corpses the same in this regard?

    SC Skippy already sorta answered. To add to what he said, all corpses
    are the same; you don't increase your chances by killing more powerful
    monsters, but you might increase your chances of a piety gain by killing
    a different type of monster (regular, undead, demonic, or angelic).
    Weirdly, it looks like corpse-butchering is more effective at lower
    levels.

    --
    Jeremey

Video Games