Sign in with
Your question

How do I get BOOTMGR back onto a formatted HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
January 11, 2013 2:18:04 PM

I had to format the HDD of my wifes' PC, and when trying to boot from the recovery disc, I get the "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

How can I proceed from here? (I know I haven't given much info, but that is really all there is to tell!)
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 2:49:43 PM

What model computer? What OS?

If you fully formatted the entire disk and removed the OEM partition that has the install files you will need a Windows installation disk, otherwise you can just boot from the recovery disk. If it is Windows 7 you can get a legit download from digital river and make an install DVD -- get the identical version in SP1 to what was on the machine before. You can then activate using your key off the sticker on the computer, any problem just call Microsoft for telephone activation and explain and they will reactivate.

Digital River: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 2:51:00 PM

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue.

There are a few BOOTMGR tools there that will help you.
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2013 3:00:53 PM

Thanks guys. I will try them, see what works. Super Grub was no help, so hopeully one of these will.
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:17:58 PM

if you formated the Drive then all data was marked for overwrite(pretty much deleted). you need a boot media now to re-install the operating system E.G. WIN 7 CD. the OS installation will re-write your MBR and install bootmgr for the win7 system.
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:34:40 PM

Maybe I am an idiot, but where on Hiren's page do you download the boot CD files to burn to a CD?

I go to the page, I go to bootCD and it gives me the big list of utilities included but I can't find the actual file and/or link to a file to download and actually create this.
m
l
January 11, 2013 4:03:32 PM

you are all confusing bootmgr with MBR(master boot record) the MBR is used by the HDD to allocate files the bootmgr is the win7 kernal launcher. if you format the disk with the operating system the MBR will give you the error of no bootmgr because you deleted it. you nee to install an OS back on the drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 4:07:34 PM

tripledouce said:
you are all confusing bootmgr with MBR(master boot record) the MBR is used by the HDD to allocate files the bootmgr is the win7 kernal launcher. if you format the disk with the operating system the MBR will give you the error of no bootmgr because you deleted it. you nee to install an OS back on the drive.
Really, all? Read my first line: "If you fully formatted the entire disk and removed the OEM partition that has the install files you will need a Windows installation disk."
m
l
January 11, 2013 5:04:05 PM

I agree, if he formatted he is hosed, I'm only here for the boot CD. :-)
m
l
January 11, 2013 5:15:31 PM

So, even though I have the Digital River CD, I am wasting my time?
m
l
January 11, 2013 5:39:36 PM

You should give more details on what your looking to accomplish.

Are you attempting to boot up your recovery disc (DVD) to reinstall and your DVD is not booting?
Are you attempting to start the recovery process by booting to the recovery partition on the hard drive?
Did you format the recovery partition as well?
m
l
January 11, 2013 6:17:01 PM

Update:

Win 7 has now installed on my wifes' PC, and the rebuilding process can begin. Thank you all for your advice!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 6:36:58 PM

Eugene51_21 said:
Update:

Win 7 has now installed on my wifes' PC, and the rebuilding process can begin. Thank you all for your advice!
It should activate online, but if you have any issues call Windows activation: (888) 571-2048.
m
l
January 18, 2013 8:59:28 AM

It did activate online, thanks.
m
l
!