YAIMs (Yet-Another-Iron-Man posts)

Not much of an iron man, just something to get things rolling. ironman
the Ogre Berserker kept on running into down staircases brutally
quickly, and never found anything better than his starting club. Ijyb
caught him too hungry to berserk and made short work of him.

So... current official Iron Man record: IM rating 6 with an Ogre
Berserker. Ha! Beat that! :)

Erik

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Ijyb hits you with a dagger!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You hit Ijyb, but do no damage.
Ijyb is moderately wounded.
Ijyb hits you but doesn't do any damage.
You hit Ijyb, but do no damage.
Ijyb is moderately wounded.
Ijyb misses you.
You miss Ijyb.
Ijyb hits you with a dagger!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
Ijyb hits you with a dagger!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You miss Ijyb.
Ijyb hits you with a dagger!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You hit Ijyb, but do no damage.
Ijyb is moderately wounded.
Ijyb hits you with a dagger!
You die...

#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#@#
...g.#
#......#
#......#
##.....#
......#
#.....#
.....#
...#

ironman the Skirmisher (Ogre)
(Level 2 Berserker)

Play time: 00:05:38 Number of turns: 893

Experience : 2/38
Strength 22 Dexterity 11 Intelligence 3
Hit Points : -2/28 (dead) Magic Points : 0
AC : 3 Evasion : 10 Shield : 0
GP : 10

You are on level 6.
You worship Trog.
Trog is most pleased with you.
You are hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +0 club (weapon)
e - a +0 knife
f - a +2,+0 elven dagger
h - a +0 club
i - a +0 knife
o - a +0 sling
t - a +0 short sword
u - a +0 club
//just me hoovering up the dungeon again
Missiles
b - 19 +0 bolts
g - 22 +0 darts
r - 18 +0 stones
Armour
d - a +2 elven chain mail
//Waaaaaaa!!
k - a +0 cloak (worn)
l - a +0 animal skin (worn)
p - a +0 animal skin
Comestibles
c - a meat ration
Scrolls
q - 2 scrolls of remove curse
Jewellery
j - a -3,-2 ring of slaying
//had time to uncurse this, but not ID it
Potions
m - a potion of restore abilities

You have 0 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 5 Fighting
+ Level 1 Axes
+ Level 3 Maces & Flails

You have one spell level left.
You don't know any spells.

Vanquished Creatures
A snake (D:3)
//berserking helped a lot
A giant cockroach (D:1)
4 hobgoblins
2 kobolds (D:4)
3 giant bats
4 goblins

15 creatures vanquished.

Erik Piper wrote:
> Not much of an iron man, just something to get things rolling. ironman
> the Ogre Berserker kept on running into down staircases brutally
> quickly, and never found anything better than his starting club. Ijyb
> caught him too hungry to berserk and made short work of him.
>
> So... current official Iron Man record: IM rating 6 with an Ogre
> Berserker. Ha! Beat that! :)

I didn't save the morgue file, but I got a troll berserker to 13
(and clvl 9) with some iffy rules issues. For example, on dlvl 9
I took the first down stairs per the rules. But the area of d10 I
landed in was isolated with no down stairs, so I went back up. I
actually had to do this with the next down stairs I found on d9 too.
In both cases I explored d10 until ctrl-O didn't do anything, and
there were no down stairs. This allowed me to get to a shop on d9
that had been unreachable because of these visible down stairs.

Well, once the wand of healing I got there ran out, a bunch of nasties
out of a vault got me (troll, two centaurs, and what I think was
a draconian shapeshifter (imps+ patch)). Depending on the rules for
"not moving farther from the down stairs" I might have been able to
use better tactics, so I want to ask: what metric are we using to
measure distance from the stairs? Is it a euclidian norm or what?
It would be funny to see an iron man winner "with the sup norm" or
some other measurement of distance. I took the rules to mean that
if the stairs are, for example, up and left of you, you may neither
move right nor down.

Well, since this challenge game was just invented for Crawl, I guess
it's still open to debate, and we can probably come up with different
flavors of ironman to suit all different needs.

Sean

PS, I posted this with GG, was I supposed to remove the Re: when I
put the [crawl] into the subject line? It's been 5 years since I
used a real newsreader (probably why I mostly lurk now) so I can't
remember if the Re: is supposed to be on replies. I appologize in
advance if I split this thread up for anyone with a real news reader.

Greedy for more XP, I bet my life on being able to take out a hill giant
with the help of poison needles without being able to run away (due to
the visible down staircase). Lost the bet. Died. Could easily have
simply ignored it instead, but I'm finding that every drop of XP you can
get on a level counts. It was a tough call, and I called it wrong.

Sure is easy to end up with tons of excess XP once you reach a certain
point. Gotta think about how to burn it usefully.

Current official Iron Man record: IM rating 13, High Elf Chaos Knight,
Erik Piper.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

The hill giant is moderately wounded.
The hill giant misses you.
The hill giant hits you but doesn't do any damage.
Huh?
Read which item?
Okay, then.
You hit the hill giant, but do no damage.
The hill giant is heavily wounded.
The hill giant hits you but doesn't do any damage.
You hit the hill giant, but do no damage.
The hill giant is heavily wounded.
The hill giant misses you.
The hill giant hits you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You miss the hill giant.
The hill giant misses you.
You slash the hill giant!
The hill giant is almost dead.
The hill giant hits you!
You die...

..
## ..##
#. .%.
#.#..#
.. #.#..#
.)).##.#..####
)).........
#)...!.#####
#.C@........
#>.....#####
#...<..#
#......#
#......#
#......#
#......#
#......#
##/#.###

ironman the Ducker (High Elf)
(Level 8 Chaos Knight)

Play time: 00:32:02 Number of turns: 3686

Experience : 8/1748
Strength 11 Dexterity 15 Intelligence 16
Hit Points : -3/57 (dead) Magic Points : 17
AC : 8 Evasion : 13 Shield : 0
GP : 18

You are on level 13.
You worship Makhleb.
Makhleb is most pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +0 great sword (weapon)
//This is part of what got me so far. Starting weapon was a spear, then
I picked up a short blade, then I found this.
b - a +0 blowgun
c - a +2,+2 bow
Missiles
d - 27 +0 arrows
I - 7 poisoned +0 needles
Armour
e - a +0 robe
j - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
k - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
l - the +3 robe "Qyku" (worn)
It affects your dexterity (-2).
It affects your accuracy (+3).

O - a +3 leather armour
Magical devices
o - a wand of paralysis (0)
E - a wand of draining (0)
//These are the other part of what got me so far.
Comestibles
g - 2 meat rations
A - a bread ration
//Went through a lot of food trying to get last chances to lure out
monsters after I'd sighted down stairs on a level.
Scrolls
i - 4 scrolls of identify
s - a scroll of remove curse
Jewellery
h - a ring of invisibility (right hand)
// Fat lot of good it did me.

You have 745 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 4 Fighting
+ Level 5 Long Blades
- Level 1 Polearms
+ Level 6 Dodging
+ Level 2 Stealth
+ Level 4 Invocations
+ Level 1 Evocations

You have 7 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Vanquished Creatures
A cyclops (D:12)
2 trolls
2 wyverns
A centaur (D:8)
An orc warrior (D:12)
A big fish (D:9)
A hound (D:4)
A giant beetle (D:9)
2 orc wizards (D:12)
A giant iguana (D:12)
A jelly (D:10)
A giant centipede (D:13)
7 snakes
A giant frog zombie (D:10)
A worm (D:9)
An ooze (D:5)
Jessica (D:4)
2 giant bats
A giant cockroach (D:2)
2 goblins
6 hobgoblins
5 kobolds
4 orcs
2 quokkas
A small snake (D:9)
A giant gecko (D:12)
3 giant newts
4 jackals
7 rats

64 creatures vanquished.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Great idea Erik! This type of game strikes me as a great practice tool -
you really have to take your time and think, and use every resource
available to you. Also, I've gotten much better now at running away. :)

My contribution to the thread: IM rating 19, Spriggan Warper (clvl 7).
The (long) story is below, and the morgue follows. Short version of
story: Running away proved to be a useful tool. Perhaps less "Ironman"
than "Very Fast Coward", but there you go. :)

Level 1: So I start by memorizing Apportation from my starting
spellbook, a spell I'd never seen the use for until this challenge game.
It's very nice indeed for grabbing useful things from the middle of
packs of monsters or open areas (and in the challenge game, VERY handy
when you see something useful but it's in the other direction from a
downstairs). Ran into a kobold and then a goblin, and dispatched them
quickly with the rod of striking. Found a scroll and read-id'ed it right
away - I figured this character would be short-lived, anyway. :) Was
?id, and I had nothing useful to identify. Oh well. Found a downstairs
soon after.

Level 2: Found three new potions, killed a rat and a goblin, and danced
for quite a while with a quokka, using the rod and darts, before finally
killing it. Nothing else special before the next downstairs.

Level 3: I come down the stairs and spot an ogre who's also just spotted
me - I take off running down the long, narrow hall, and eventually find
a nice little room with a pillar for some dancing. I find the ogre and
lure it back, flinging force bolts and darts at it as I stay just out of
arm's reach, and when I kill it, I gain 3(!) levels, and memorize Blink.
I next meet a hound, which is in between me and my dancing-pillar, and
which the rod can't damage fast enough, so I start running down a
corridor. Which leads to an orc and a kobold. I let the hound catch up,
and use my scroll of blinking to get behind it, then start running away
again in the opposite direction. I see a downstairs, move towards it,
and in trying to kill the hound and the orc, I let them get right beside
me. Oh yeah, I can't move off the downstairs... so I dive.

Level 4: The hound and orc follow, and are now joined by a goblin and
giant ant. I run. I managed to create enough space at one point to use
Apportation to get a ?id (which, when I had time, id'd a potion of
poison for me) but had to run right past some other scroll which I never
saw the likes of again. I hope it wasn't an OOD ?acquirement - I think
I'd cry. I dive downstairs again...

Level 5: ...and meet another ogre. After some dancing, my Spriggan is
now clvl 6. I turn a corner, and find myself face-to-face with a
centaur, a giant frog, two jackals and a rat. I bravely run away - the
centaur wings me a couple times, but I make it to another set of stairs.

Level 6: Ah - another downstairs, right there.

Level 7: Dispatch another ogre; another ?id tells me that I'm carrying a
potion of speed - good, I can probably survive one more life-threatening
situation. One soon presents itself in the form of a particularly
resilient giant iguana - the rod just wouldn't make a dent. No place to
dance, but I can run, so I do - and foolishly stop to Apportate myself
another scroll. The iguana catches up, follows me down the stairs...

Level 8: ...and is joined by a giant frog and a rat. I use the rat to
block traffic while I deal with a kobold in the next room, then run to
the stairs. I figured that I had time to Apportate the nearby bread
ration, but I misjudged the frog's distance from me, and he catches up
and hits me when I go down the stairs...

Level 9: ...leaving me with 2 HP, trapped in a dead end, right beside a
rat. Luckily, because the downstairs led to such a closed-in spot, the
frog is nowhere to be seen. The rat, luckily, misses me twice, and I
take it out with the rod. I finally ID the scroll I picked up on level
7, that led to my flight here... and it's a scroll of paper. Sigh.
There's a downstairs right around the corner.

Level 10: I use my potion of speed while fighting an orc wizard, which
still manages to knock me down to 9 HP with magic dart and flame before
I kill it. I avoid two hounds and get poisoned by a snake, which worries
me since I have no potions of healing at this point, but I feel better
quickly. I pick up a second unid'd potion, and quaffing it, it turns out
to be confusion. I find a book of Surveyances and memorize Detect Traps,
which didn't turn out to be all that useful in the end. I get a couple
more unid'ed potions of another kind, but I leave them un-id'ed just in
case it's heal wounds - I'll need every one. There's a hound between me
and the next downstairs, but fortunately my Spriggan has excellent
broken-field running skills. I dive.

Level 11: I find a couple more of those unid'ed potions, bringing my
total to 4, so I feel okay quaff-id'ing one. They're restore abilities.
:/ I find another downstairs almost immediately.

Level 12: I find my first wand, in view from a nearby downstairs. Thank
you, Apportation.

Level 13: I find a +1 ring of evasion, the first and only jewellery I am
to find. I test the wand on a kobold, and it's enslavement, which is
good, because it turns out there are LOTS more kobolds, big and small,
right behind him. He kindly keeps them busy for me while I run. I find
and read a magic mapping scroll; this level is very open. This is bad
news for this character, so I make for the nearest downstairs visible on
the overall map. When I get there, there's a giant ant five squares
away, but it doesn't see me - I quietly Apportate over a nearby ?id, and
an un-id'd scroll.

Level 14: The second scroll was curse armour - no biggie. I haven't seen
any other robes yet, anyway. The ?id identifies a potion of mutation for
me, which I quaff, hoping for something to extend my survival a bit more
("You can control translocations" would have been great with Teleport
Self, in my starting book). I get two types of scales for +2 AC, and
weakness. Having picked up the Young Poisoner's Handbook on the previous
level, I now have a quiet moment and memorize Sting, which shortly gets
put to good use on an ogre. I pass the Vault stairs with a wistful look
and find my next downstairs, guarded by three orcs and an orc warrior. I
use the wand of enslavement to charm the warrior, get him to start
beating on his compatriots, and sprint past to the stairs.

Level 15: Two orcs follow me down into a dead end corridor, which would
have been no problem if I hadn't typoed and evoked the rod at myself,
right down to 7 HP. I manage to kill the orcs quickly though, as well as
a curious giant newt that poked its head quizzically 'round the corner.
I then run into a hippogriff, and take off in the other direction. I see
a downstairs, and have time to try to Apportate a nearby un-id'd scroll,
but it doesn't come to me - instead it twitches... I wonder if it was a
mimic.

Level 16: I appear next to an oblivious jelly. I edge away, and then
take care of it with the rod. A staircase comes into view immediately.

Level 17: And I appear next to 4 boggarts. I run away, and find myself
in a room with 3 downstairs... took a second to figure out which one I
could take without moving away from the other two. :) I dive again.

Level 18: There's a hydra on the edge of my vision, but I back away
without it seeing me. I find a scroll of magic mapping and use it, and
head for the nearest downstairs since things are getting a little too
hairy and I just want to dive as quickly as possible now. Two slime
creatures see me but can't catch me.

Level 19: I find a wand, which when zap-id'd turns out to be lightning,
and a scroll, which turns out to be my first scroll of teleportation. I
appear in the corner of a small room with two corridors leaving it, and
two ugly things between me and the exits. Rather than sensibly running
away, I smugly start throwing lightning bolts around the room - thus
attracting the attention of the other four ugly things around the
corner. Now, rather than sensibly running away, I panickingly start
throwing more lightning bolts around the room. The ugly things get me
pinned against a wall, my last un-id'd potion turns out to be !might,
not !heal wounds, I forgot about Blink, and die. Anti-climactic perhaps,
but makes for a good moral. :)

Here's the morgue.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Craven the Prestidigitator (Spriggan)
(Level 7 Warper)

Play time: 00:40:26 Number of turns: 4591

Experience : 7/1152
Strength 10 Dexterity 18 Intelligence 15
Hit Points : -2/25 (dead) Magic Points : 23
AC : 3 Evasion : 13 Shield : 0
GP : 99

You are on level 19.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
b - a +0 orcish short sword
Missiles
h - 17 +0 orcish darts
Armour
d - a cursed +0 robe (worn)
Magical devices
I - a wand of enslavement (4)
R - a wand of lightning (3)
Comestibles
B - 2 bread rations
Scrolls
g - 2 scrolls of remove curse
Jewellery
l - a +1 ring of evasion (left hand)
Potions
i - 4 potions of restore abilities
Books
e - a book of Spatial Translocations
f - a book of Surveyances
j - a Young Poisoner's Handbook
Magical staves
a - a rod of striking (in hand)

You have 232 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 3 Darts
+ Level 1 Throwing
+ Level 4 Dodging
+ Level 4 Stealth
+ Level 3 Spellcasting
+ Level 5 Translocations
+ Level 1 Divinations
+ Level 11 Evocations

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Sting Poison/Conjuration Good 1
q - Apportation Translocation Great 1
w - Teleport Other Translocation Good 4
B - Blink Translocation Very Good 2
T - Detect Traps Divination Good 2

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You are partially covered in supple grey scales (AC + 1).
You are weak (Str -1).
You are partially covered in speckled scales (AC + 1).

Erik Piper wrote:
> Not much of an iron man, just something to get things rolling. ironman
> the Ogre Berserker kept on running into down staircases brutally
> quickly, and never found anything better than his starting club. Ijyb
> caught him too hungry to berserk and made short work of him.
>
> So... current official Iron Man record: IM rating 6 with an Ogre
> Berserker. Ha! Beat that! :)
>
> Erik

[snip]

Man! This was the most fun I had with Crawl for quite some time. I
didn't beat Rob's IM rating of 19, but 14 is still good I think!

I have a couple of questions for the more experienced Crawlers out there:

Would it have been better to wield any of the two cursed weapons I had
in my inventory and hope to enchant them to decent levels?

BR,
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Ironhorn4 the Chopper (Minotaur)
(Level 7 Berserker)

Play time: 16:49:30 Number of turns: 3050

Experience : 7/1225
Strength 19/22 Dexterity 9 Intelligence 6
Hit Points : -2/55 (dead) Magic Points : 3
AC : 10 Evasion : 9 Shield : 0
GP : 31

You are on level 14.
You worship Trog.
Trog is pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+3 great sword (weapon)
i - the cursed -2,+4 great sword of the Gulag
It protects you from magic.
It has a curse placed upon it.
q - a +0 spear
t - the cursed -5,-5 mace of the Crusades
A truly terrible weapon, it drains the life of those it strikes.
It affects your AC (-1).
It enhances your eyesight.
It lets you levitate.
It lets you blink.
It has a curse placed upon it.
Missiles
c - 43 +0 stones
e - 8 +1 elven darts of ice
g - 28 +0 orcish darts
l - 36 +0 arrows
m - 17 +0 darts
n - 26 +0 orcish arrows
x - 9 poisoned +0 orcish needles
B - 21 poisoned +0 needles
Armour
d - a +4 ring mail (worn)
k - a +1 pair of gloves (worn)
o - a +0 scale mail of fire resistance
Magical devices
j - a wand of disintegration (3)
Scrolls
b - 2 scrolls of paper
f - a scroll of enchant weapon II
h - 2 scrolls of identify
p - a scroll of detect curse
Jewellery
s - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
Potions
r - a potion of healing

You have 814 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 3 Fighting
+ Level 3 Long Blades
+ Level 4 Axes
+ Level 1 Polearms
+ Level 3 Darts
+ Level 3 Throwing
+ Level 3 Armour
+ Level 2 Dodging

You have 6 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

s_p_lester@yahoo.com wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:

> [Erik's first, thoroughly pitiful, officially posted Iron Man]

First off, congratulations! The below puts us tied for second place. :)

> I didn't save the morgue file, but I got a troll berserker to 13
> (and clvl 9) with some iffy rules issues. For example, on dlvl 9
> I took the first down stairs per the rules. But the area of d10 I
> landed in was isolated with no down stairs, so I went back up. I
> actually had to do this with the next down stairs I found on d9 too.
> In both cases I explored d10 until ctrl-O didn't do anything, and
> there were no down stairs. This allowed me to get to a shop on d9
> that had been unreachable because of these visible down stairs.

I'd say all this falls within the "honest effort" philosophy which was
in rule 2 but perhaps should have been in some overarching sentence for
the whole ruleset. No reasonably sized ruleset can foresee all issues,
so the "spirit of the rules" is important.

> Well, once the wand of healing I got there ran out, a bunch of nasties
> out of a vault got me (troll, two centaurs, and what I think was
> a draconian shapeshifter (imps+ patch)). Depending on the rules for
> "not moving farther from the down stairs" I might have been able to
> use better tactics, so I want to ask: what metric are we using to
> measure distance from the stairs? Is it a euclidian norm or what?

I realized the ambiguity myself and spoke on it in a "clarification"
post somewhere else in this thread. In it, I (besides addressing some
other issues) decided for "as the crow flies" distance. My intuition is
that "real moves needed" resolution could lead to some weird dilemmas;
crow-flies reckoning is dead simple. I hope. ;-) Distance is counted in
moves, of course.

Example:

....###...
........@.
..#..>..#.
..#.....#.
..#.....#.
.....####.
........#.

(Ignore the @ for now)

Every last square that's 4 moves (IGNORING the walls) from the stairs is
a valid move from an adjacent square. Now you've gone in one square?
Same applies for squares 3 from the stairs. Etc.

> It would be funny to see an iron man winner "with the sup norm" or
> some other measurement of distance. I took the rules to mean that
> if the stairs are, for example, up and left of you, you may neither
> move right nor down.

The @ above could move up; he just has to either maintain the distance
of 3 or reduce it to 2.

> [GG]

It's fine (surprisingly). Tell us your secret!

Don't worry about posting from GG; all but one of here are reasonable it
and realistic about it. ;-)

Erik

Rob wrote:

[Thrilling story of best Iron Man to date]

Great story! And great combo! Will be interesting to see how the
different combos shape up against each other for the challenge; special
advantages of them will probably appear where we least expect it.

>Oh yeah, I can't move off the downstairs... so I dive.

Yeah, sighting a down staircase in mid-battle can be right deadly in
this challenge.

> Level 6: Ah - another downstairs, right there.

This sort of level is just the worst on the early levels, though once
you know you're running out of steam, it actually becomes an asset -- a
rating point for free.

> to be confusion. I find a book of Surveyances and memorize Detect Traps,
> which didn't turn out to be all that useful in the end.

Magic Mapping (preferably trained enough not to glow when casting it)
could be a big help for controlling the speed at which you sight your
first downstairs (only the main view counts for this).

Detected needle traps --> poison --> some yummy cheap kills, but you'd
need a way to survive the traps' disarming, and a blowgun of course
(depends mostly on how willing to help the local kobolds are).

> Level 13: I find a +1 ring of evasion, the first and only jewellery I am
> to find. I test the wand on a kobold, and it's enslavement, which is
> good, because it turns out there are LOTS more kobolds, big and small,
> right behind him.

Ooh, darts! They need to invent a poisoning launcher for the common
dart. :-/

> weakness. Having picked up the Young Poisoner's Handbook on the previous
> level, I now have a quiet moment and memorize Sting, which shortly gets
> put to good use on an ogre.

Mephitic cloud would perhaps also be nice. It can be hard to diversify
with an iron man, though -- just not enough XP to go around...

> I - a wand of enslavement (4)

Wands seem to be biggies overall in Iron Man -- the battles are few
enough that there's no great need to "count every charge." Resistable
wands give a slight edge to the combos with good evocations, who will
see them resisted less.

Maybe a charmed ugly thing would have saved the day. Typical magic
resistance is really high by that point, though.

Erik

Björn Bergström wrote:

> Would it have been better to wield any of the two cursed weapons I had
> in my inventory and hope to enchant them to decent levels?

Artifacts can't be enchanted in Crawl.

Even if they could be, the answer would be no. One was mediocre, and the
other even honestly calls itself a "truly terrible weapon." ;-) But
seriously -- there's just no time in Iron Man to gather up enchantment
scrolls in the sort of quantity that would be needed to make them
worthwhile if it were even possible to do so.

Erik

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:48:31 +0200, Björn Bergström
<bjorn.bergstrom@roguelikedevelopment.org> wrote:

> t - the cursed -5,-5 mace of the Crusades
> A truly terrible weapon, it drains the life of those it strikes.
> It affects your AC (-1).
> It enhances your eyesight.
> It lets you levitate.
> It lets you blink.

This would ordinarily be a selling point (You might use it for see
invisible + blinking with a conjuror), but I'd say using uncontrolled
blink would be against the challenge definition, since it can easily
take you farther from the stairs, unless you hadn't found the stairs
yet, rather limiting usefulness.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com