Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 does not recognize my new built HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
January 11, 2013 2:55:17 PM

Hello,
I just build a new barebones comp from scratch the first time. Everything went ok including the BIOS set-up.

I'm spinning my wheels trying to figure out how to get windows 7 to recognize my HDD. I went up to the point where it asks you to load a driver on which to install windows 7, but when i enter the Motherboard's CD which has all the drivers and utilities it won't recognize any of the drivers.

The BIOS recognizes the HDD and i'm pretty sure its not corrupted in any way.

btw, i'm using a copied windows 7 CD to perform the installation (i'm affraid this might also paly a role, but i figure i'd try all other options first before i shell out the $$$ to buy a new windows 7 CD)

I have tried the following without success.

-tried all 6 SATA ports
-Switched btwn AHCI and RAID but now sucess
-Went to Command Prompt and tried to do a disk partition. after going to <DISKPART> I entered LIST DISK and could not find any disks to partition.
- I entered CHKDSK and was told that the disk was RAW. My understanding is that all new HDDs come in RAW format initially, and need to be concerted to NTFS, or some other format for Windows 7 to recognize them.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
OS: MSI Z77A-G41 Intel 7 Series Z77 Motherboard - ATX, LGA 1155, Intel Z77 Chipset, 2133(OC) DDR3, SATA 6 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, Crossfire Ready
HDD: LG WH14NS40 14X Blu-Ray Burner - SATA, 4MB Buffer, 3D Playback, OEM
Processor: Intel Core BX80637I53470 i5-3470 Processor - Quad Core, 3.2GHz, 6M Cache, SSE4.1, Core i5, LGA 1155

Thank you in advance for your help
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 4:27:49 PM

All I can tell you is that Windows 7 Setup does not need any hard drive controller drivers to be manually installed in order for it to recognise the drive.

Windows 7 Setup (all editions) supports SATA natively, (as well as IDE, of course).

I have never had to use a motherboard driver disc or indeed any driver disc when installing Windows 7. Only after it's up and running do I install drivers from the mobo disc.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 6:59:47 PM

Hi

I looked at MSI website

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G41.html

nothing unusual seen

I can not see a note what sort and size of hard disk you are installing

If over 2GB there maybe some bios options you have got wrong
GPT boot sector may be needed
MSI says it supports 3GB drives

usually on Intel chipsets you get 2 SATA 3 ports + 4 sata 2 ports
(and often an additional non Intel controller for extra SATA + ATA or eSATA ports)

your single or boot Hard disk goes on SATA 3 port with lowest number. (mode AHCI)

Try booting from a different Windows 7 or Vista DVD
or a recent Linux CD (Parted Magic) to see if the Hard Disk can be recognised (without additional drivers)

I am assuming the hard disk is brand new and has not previously had Linux installed on it (can cause problems for Windows)
I am assuming the Windows 7 DVD is a retail DVD (including one downloaded from Microsoft) or a Microsoft OEM DVD but not a manufacturers OEM DVD or a recovery DVD

You are going to need to buy a License to use Windows 7 beyond a short trial period

I will leave any more advice for someone who has direct experience of that motherboard

best of luck

regards

Mike Barnes
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 7:16:30 PM

phil22 said:
All I can tell you is that Windows 7 Setup does not need any hard drive controller drivers to be manually installed in order for it to recognise the drive.

Windows 7 Setup (all editions) supports SATA natively, (as well as IDE, of course).

I have never had to use a motherboard driver disc or indeed any driver disc when installing Windows 7. Only after it's up and running do I install drivers from the mobo disc.

That is not 100% true, I have seem several forum users here unable to get the hard drives to show up in Windows 7(and the F6 drivers fix them right up.). Despite this fact I have never needed F6(floppy) drivers, but I HAVE seen many others who did.

try to get the file located here(intel7x_rst_floppy_mb.zip). Do not let the name fool you, just extract then and burn them to a CD, just in case the ones on the MB cd are no right.
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G41.html#/?div=Drive...

I do not see a listing for the exact drive you are using. I see you list your Bluray player and not the hard drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 7:33:39 PM

The exact model of your hard drive would help.

I had this problem once with a Western Digital drive which had 'Advanced Formatting.' This means it was formatted with a sector size of 4KB instead of the standard 512 bytes. Windows 7 is meant to support 4KB sectors but for some reason it couldn't see the drive until I re-formatted it with a 512byte sector size.
m
l
!