[Crawl] A few questions... (You guys must be pretty tired ..

I have another character that's a bit better than the previous few, but
I'm not going to post him (since I'm sure you're tired of reading
slightly-more-advanced-dwarven-fighter character dumps). I only have a
few questions on what items do, and some general advice.

What is the Hive like? I have poison resistance, but not much in the way
of artefacts (except a pair of gloves that Okie was kind enough to grant
me...) in case there's item damage.

Oh, and here are the gloves:
u - the +3 pair of gloves "Eves T Vug" (worn)
It makes you much more stealthy.
It enhances your eyesight.

I mention this because the stealth enhancement has made me gain a skill
level of Stabbing. Should I turn it off? Or switch to Elven armour? (I
suppose there isn't any Elven Plate Mail around...) Are the gloves
really any good?

What does an amulet of resist corrosion do? Is it effective, as I think
it might be, in hindering item damage from jellies and the like?

I read-IDed a scroll of vorpalise weapon while weilding a +1, +3 orcish
battle axe. Should I blow my remaining ?oEWII on it, or save them for a
future Executioner's axe and a second scroll of vorpalise weapon?

I have an orc plate mail. Should I scroll-enchant it, or save up for
that dragon armour in the shop, or wait to find something else altogether?

I have a deck of cards. Should I read-ID it before trying to 'E'voke it?

I am apprehensive of going into the Mines with only scroll-teleports,
given that some grey staircases can be of the "random" variety. I also
have a wand of disintegrate, but no idea of how many charges it has.

I love crossbows! Does Throwing help or hinder crossbow use?

I've just gained a level of Spellcasting. I have a ring of magic power,
and a ring of intelligence +5. Should I bring these along and learn
Magic Dart, in case I find some opportunity to practice it, or are
dwarves just too dense for spellcasting?

Thanks for any assistance!
31 answers Last reply
More about crawl questions guys pretty tired
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Item damage is a problem in the Slime Pits, not the Hive. The Hive is a
    lot of killer bees.

    Stealth is pretty nice, and so is stabbing. I guess it depends on what
    else you want to do with the character. If you would rather the
    experience went somewhere else, turn off stabbing. For instance, later
    in your post you mention magic.

    You're right about the amulet of resist corrosion.

    Executioner's axes are pretty uncommon, so it might be a while before
    you find one. However, you might also prefer to hold out for a dwarven
    battleaxe (or an executioner's axe of any sort other than artifact),
    which are resistant to damage, before using up your enchant weapon
    scrolls.

    You can make your own dragon armor by wearing a dragon hide and reading
    ?enchant armor. You get dragon hides, naturally, by dissecting dragons.
    Sacrificing their corpses to Okawaru, however, means no hide. I
    typically don't enchant up the first set of plate mail I find but hold
    out hoping for something that has, say, fire or cold resistance.
    Dwarven plate mail is a bit better than orcish, too, even if it doesn't
    happen to grant a resistance. (+1 to AC, harder to damage.)

    Personally, I think those dang cards are pretty dangerous unless you
    know what you're doing, which I don't.

    It's true that you can get stuck in the mines but it doesn't happen
    very often. You're right to bring ?teleport along. I usually figure 3
    or 4 is plenty but more is good too. Remember that orc wizards do cast
    fire spells, though.

    Throwing is required to raise bow and crossbow skills. It has to be
    half as high. I suppose that's not quite accurate. What happens is when
    throwing < crossbows/2 you get a message "throwing must be higher to
    properly use this weapon". So I'm guessing that means that to take full
    advantage of your bow or crossbow skill, throwing must be greater than
    or equal to bow or crossbow divided by two. Dwarven hunters start with
    a crossbow, by the way.

    Dwarves aren't especially good at spellcasting, but they are good at
    things like earth magic. Magic dart isn't going to do you jack, tho,
    other than train conjurations and spellcasting and some small damage
    when it works. I'd say get a book of geomancy if you're interested in
    trying out some spells.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Elethiomel wrote:

    > What is the Hive like?

    with poison resitance it should be a walk in the park (unless you drown
    on the final level like one of my HDFi).

    > Oh, and here are the gloves:
    > u - the +3 pair of gloves "Eves T Vug" (worn)
    > It makes you much more stealthy.
    > It enhances your eyesight.
    >
    > I mention this because the stealth enhancement has made me gain a skill
    > level of Stabbing. Should I turn it off?

    It doesn't drain many XP does it? OTOH stabbing with non-short-blades
    isn't terribly effective, but you might get the ocasional backstab (up
    to double damage IIRC) at fleeing, confused or surrounded monsters.

    > Or switch to Elven armour?

    Bad idea. Elven armour is light, so it protects you for 0..AC damage
    points, while heavy armour always has a minimum protection of AC/2. Also
    dwarven armour gives you a +4 to armour skill for the (15 + armour
    skill)/15 multiplier in body armour's AC.

    > (I suppose there isn't any Elven Plate Mail around...)

    No. IIRC chain is maximum.

    >Are the gloves really any good?

    Yes. Normal gloves can only go to +2, also the see invisible ability
    frees your ring finger.

    > What does an amulet of resist corrosion do? Is it effective, as I think
    > it might be, in hindering item damage from jellies and the like?

    It prevents corrosion damage 9 times out of 10 (dwarven gear also
    resists 4 times out of 5 so in total it will be 2% chance of corrosion).

    > I read-IDed a scroll of vorpalise weapon while weilding a +1, +3 orcish
    > battle axe. Should I blow my remaining ?oEWII on it, or save them for a
    > future Executioner's axe and a second scroll of vorpalise weapon?

    If it's only one scroll, read it. Oki should shower you in axes before long.

    > I have an orc plate mail. Should I scroll-enchant it, or save up for
    > that dragon armour in the shop, or wait to find something else altogether?

    How about making your own dragon armour from one of the swamp's swamp
    dragons? Also remember that dwarven armour gives you a large skill
    bonus; dwarven splint mail might be better than orkish plate.

    > I have a deck of cards. Should I read-ID it before trying to 'E'voke it?

    Unless you want to wake up in the Abyss, yes.

    > I love crossbows! Does Throwing help or hinder crossbow use?

    it helps (well, throwing skill should at least be half of your crossbow
    skill); also throwing skill gives you a to-hit bonus (half as effective
    as the crossbow skill) and keeps your ammo from breaking (chance to lose
    your bolt is 1-in(2+throwing/5).

    > I've just gained a level of Spellcasting. I have a ring of magic power,
    > and a ring of intelligence +5. Should I bring these along and learn
    > Magic Dart, in case I find some opportunity to practice it, or are
    > dwarves just too dense for spellcasting?

    Why should you? Spellcasting in heavy armour just doesn't work (anybody
    correct my oversimplification). Also your crossbow packs far more punch
    than those magic darts.

    Lars
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    In article <429ca537$2@news.broadpark.no>,
    Elethiomel <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote:
    >I have another character that's a bit better than the previous few, but
    >I'm not going to post him (since I'm sure you're tired of reading
    >slightly-more-advanced-dwarven-fighter character dumps). I only have a
    >few questions on what items do, and some general advice.
    >
    >What is the Hive like? I have poison resistance, but not much in the way
    >of artefacts (except a pair of gloves that Okie was kind enough to grant
    >me...) in case there's item damage.

    With poison resistance, as has been mentioned, it should be
    straightforward, although the killer bees have a tendency to swarm you.
    If you've taken on one of the mini-hives that sometimes show up in the
    dungeon, it's just like that, only a lot bigger and with fewer corridors
    nearby to hide in.

    >Oh, and here are the gloves:
    > u - the +3 pair of gloves "Eves T Vug" (worn)
    > It makes you much more stealthy.
    > It enhances your eyesight.
    >
    >Are the gloves really any good?

    Well, they aren't knock-me-over-with-a-feather good, but the're better
    than any pair I've seen.

    >I am apprehensive of going into the Mines with only scroll-teleports,
    >given that some grey staircases can be of the "random" variety. I also
    >have a wand of disintegrate, but no idea of how many charges it has.

    I don't usually worry about gray staircases being one-way in the Mines,
    but I haven't had a character stuck there, either. Won't hurt you to
    put them off for later, though.

    >I love crossbows! Does Throwing help or hinder crossbow use?

    I love crossbows, too :-) Throwing helps.

    >I've just gained a level of Spellcasting. I have a ring of magic power,
    >and a ring of intelligence +5. Should I bring these along and learn
    >Magic Dart, in case I find some opportunity to practice it, or are
    >dwarves just too dense for spellcasting?

    You can try, but I think I agree with Lars that the crossbow will do
    more than adequate ranged damage. If you want to pick up spellcasting,
    you'll almost certainly need armor lighter than plate mail to begin
    with...

    -Andrew ()
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    >Does the Lair have any jellies or suchlike?

    Not that I recall. It can have firedrakes, though, so you might want to
    swap in that amulet of conservation.

    >Aren't there Horrible Hydras in the Swamp? I have only heard of these,
    and I've also heard that a flaming weapon is neccessary to take them
    out
    if you don't use a bludgeoning weapon. And I don't think I'd be very
    effective with that dwarven great mace that skeletal warrior dropped on
    D:12.

    The Lair can have hydras, too. They're pretty hard to take out with
    just a bow. A single hydra can be handled with bow/crossbow + wands,
    though. The bottom of the swamp can have quite a few of them,
    unfortunately.

    >Killer Bees haven't been a problem so far, but I guess they could win by
    attrition if there are enough of them.

    There are a lot of bees in the Hive, but with poison resistance it's
    not bad at all. There's a lot of food, experience, piety, and usually
    some good items to be had, too.

    >I seem to remember there's a dragon armour type that is light armour though, which is this?

    If I'm right that armors with -0 and -1 count as light (plus elven, of
    course), then looking at
    http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/grasland/crawl/spoilers/crawl_armours_013.txt
    makes me think steam dragon and mottled dragon are both light and the
    rest are heavy. Neither one is all that good. Steam armor has a bug
    that makes it undesirable and mottled protects against sticky flame,
    according to that chart. Sticky flame is nasty but uncommon IME.

    >Obviously, neither do I. I shall probably leave them alone after read-IDing then.

    Heh, what's the fun in that? I said they were dangerous, not to leave
    them be! Seriously, the one that got me in trouble was a deck of
    wonder, IIRC. I've played around with a deck of beasts or summoning or
    something like that and nothing bad happened.

    >No bookshops yet. Lots of distilleries, one scroll shop, and one armour
    shop. That's where the coveted dragon armour is (fire resistance
    granting). I do have a Book of the Earth, but it doesn't have any 1st
    or
    2nd level spells in it IIRC.

    Unless the dragon armor is an artifact with other bonuses, I wouldn't
    pay for it.

    >The Lair has been pretty easy for me so far, excepting those insane blade traps.

    I usually have an easy time in the Lair too. One thing to watch out for
    is a large, wide-open level. My last character got pinned between a
    pack of varied creatures and some electric eels when I stupidly moved
    him through the middle of the level thinking it was pretty much cleared
    out.

    >Should I turn off spellcasting altogether if I'm not going to cast any from books?

    There's no real need. I don't think reading scrolls trains spellcasting
    past level one.

    Using the acquirement on staves is a good idea, and so's Lars' comment
    regarding enchantments. I'd put off spellcasting until you find the
    right books, notably war chants or surveyance. Mountain Dwarves aren't
    good at either enchantments or divinations, but you don't really need
    things like flame tongue or stone arrow.

    Keep an eye open for artifacts, too, even if they have some bad spots.
    You'll want them for the slime pits, if you choose to do it, and the
    gloves are a good start.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Lars Kecke wrote:
    > Elethiomel wrote:
    >
    >> What is the Hive like?
    >

    > with poison resitance it should be a walk in the park (unless you drown
    > on the final level like one of my HDFi).

    Does a mistype equal drowning? (i.e., if you walk into deep water
    "purposefully", will it give you a prompt or just "you die..."?

    >> Oh, and here are the gloves:
    >> u - the +3 pair of gloves "Eves T Vug" (worn)
    >> It makes you much more stealthy.
    >> It enhances your eyesight.
    >>
    >> I mention this because the stealth enhancement has made me gain a
    >> skill level of Stabbing. Should I turn it off?
    >

    > It doesn't drain many XP does it? OTOH stabbing with non-short-blades
    > isn't terribly effective, but you might get the ocasional backstab (up
    > to double damage IIRC) at fleeing, confused or surrounded monsters.

    Occasional extra damage isn't to frown at, and from Erik's mentions of
    "skill hill", Stabbing shouldn't drain much XP until it's a good number
    of levels higher.

    >> Or switch to Elven armour?
    >

    > Bad idea. Elven armour is light, so it protects you for 0..AC damage
    > points, while heavy armour always has a minimum protection of AC/2. Also
    > dwarven armour gives you a +4 to armour skill for the (15 + armour
    > skill)/15 multiplier in body armour's AC.

    Aha! I thought Dwarven Armour granted dwarves a flat +1 extra AC (on top
    of the +1 extra dwarven armour always gets?).

    >> Are the gloves really any good?
    >

    > Yes. Normal gloves can only go to +2, also the see invisible ability
    > frees your ring finger.

    Aha! Coming from ADoM as I do, I'm used to "lets you see invisible"
    being the descriptor for see invisible. I thought "enhances your
    eyesight" let you see one space more or something like that. Thanks!

    >> What does an amulet of resist corrosion do? Is it effective, as I
    >> think it might be, in hindering item damage from jellies and the like?
    >

    > It prevents corrosion damage 9 times out of 10 (dwarven gear also
    > resists 4 times out of 5 so in total it will be 2% chance of corrosion).

    Nice. I should get some more dwarven gear then. Does the Lair have any
    jellies or suchlike? The Lair has been pretty easy for me so far,
    excepting those insane blade traps.

    >> I read-IDed a scroll of vorpalise weapon while weilding a +1, +3
    >> orcish battle axe. Should I blow my remaining ?oEWII on it, or save
    >> them for a future Executioner's axe and a second scroll of vorpalise
    >> weapon?
    >

    > If it's only one scroll, read it. Oki should shower you in axes before
    > long.

    It's more than one scroll, so I think I'll save them. I don't think I'll
    get a Pukux Lot, but I might get something else that's
    scroll-enchantable instead.

    > How about making your own dragon armour from one of the swamp's swamp
    > dragons? Also remember that dwarven armour gives you a large skill
    > bonus; dwarven splint mail might be better than orkish plate.

    Aren't there Horrible Hydras in the Swamp? I have only heard of these,
    and I've also heard that a flaming weapon is neccessary to take them out
    if you don't use a bludgeoning weapon. And I don't think I'd be very
    effective with that dwarven great mace that skeletal warrior dropped on
    D:12.

    >> I have a deck of cards. Should I read-ID it before trying to 'E'voke it?
    >
    > Unless you want to wake up in the Abyss, yes.

    Ow. The very first time I played Crawl my curious little spriggan
    assassin picked up a weapon of Distortion. It was quite some time until
    I wanted to play Crawl again.

    >> I love crossbows! Does Throwing help or hinder crossbow use?
    >
    > it helps (well, throwing skill should at least be half of your crossbow
    > skill); also throwing skill gives you a to-hit bonus (half as effective
    > as the crossbow skill) and keeps your ammo from breaking (chance to lose
    > your bolt is 1-in(2+throwing/5).

    Ah. I'll turn it back on then.

    >> I've just gained a level of Spellcasting. I have a ring of magic
    >> power, and a ring of intelligence +5. Should I bring these along and
    >> learn Magic Dart, in case I find some opportunity to practice it, or
    >> are dwarves just too dense for spellcasting?
    >
    > Why should you? Spellcasting in heavy armour just doesn't work (anybody
    > correct my oversimplification). Also your crossbow packs far more punch
    > than those magic darts.

    I don't know why I should. It just seemed like it might be a good idea.
    Smartwick mentioned Earth magic though... I have a Book of the Earth,
    but that's mostly higher level spells. Should I turn off spellcasting
    altogether if I'm not going to cast any from books? Scrolls don't get
    better/faster/more effective with higher spellcasting, right?

    (Oh, and I was about to give up on this character for a while in the
    beginning... he walked around for the longest time with a ring of hunger
    and no remove curse scrolls. He even had a cursed "otG on for the
    balance of that time, but didn't notice because he never left
    Hungry/Starving status even when eating all edible corpses available
    (and two dips into rations).)
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Item damage is a problem in the Slime Pits, not the Hive. The Hive is a
    > lot of killer bees.

    Killer Bees haven't been a problem so far, but I guess they could win by
    attrition if there are enough of them.

    > Stealth is pretty nice, and so is stabbing. I guess it depends on what
    > else you want to do with the character. If you would rather the
    > experience went somewhere else, turn off stabbing. For instance, later
    > in your post you mention magic.

    I'm undecided on magic... it's just that the ring of magic power and the
    ring of intelligence seemed so nice together. Maybe I should go and pick
    up those robes I've seen to see if any of them have a spellcasting ego.
    If so, I might go spellcasting, which could be interesting.

    > Executioner's axes are pretty uncommon, so it might be a while before
    > you find one. However, you might also prefer to hold out for a dwarven
    > battleaxe (or an executioner's axe of any sort other than artifact),
    > which are resistant to damage, before using up your enchant weapon
    > scrolls.

    A Dwarven battleaxe would be very nice. Do dwarves get bonus to-hit or
    damage with dwarven weapons? If not, the innate corrosion resistance in
    dwarven weapons is more than good enough.

    > You can make your own dragon armor by wearing a dragon hide and reading
    > ?enchant armor. You get dragon hides, naturally, by dissecting dragons.
    > Sacrificing their corpses to Okawaru, however, means no hide. I
    > typically don't enchant up the first set of plate mail I find but hold
    > out hoping for something that has, say, fire or cold resistance.
    > Dwarven plate mail is a bit better than orcish, too, even if it doesn't
    > happen to grant a resistance. (+1 to AC, harder to damage.)

    OK, thanks for the advice. I seem to remember there's a dragon armour
    type that is light armour though, which is this?

    > Personally, I think those dang cards are pretty dangerous unless you
    > know what you're doing, which I don't.

    Obviously, neither do I. I shall probably leave them alone after
    read-IDing then.

    > It's true that you can get stuck in the mines but it doesn't happen
    > very often. You're right to bring ?teleport along. I usually figure 3
    > or 4 is plenty but more is good too. Remember that orc wizards do cast
    > fire spells, though.

    Hmm, I have an amulet of conservation. I guess this would be the ideal
    amulet to wear into the Mines then (I normally wear a "otG, but that's
    because I'm lazy and don't like switching equipment around too much).

    > Throwing is required to raise bow and crossbow skills. It has to be
    > half as high. I suppose that's not quite accurate. What happens is when
    > throwing < crossbows/2 you get a message "throwing must be higher to
    > properly use this weapon". So I'm guessing that means that to take full
    > advantage of your bow or crossbow skill, throwing must be greater than
    > or equal to bow or crossbow divided by two. Dwarven hunters start with
    > a crossbow, by the way.

    Ah, nice.
    Conceptually, I prefer bows, but in this game, with dwarves, crossbows
    are so much better.

    > Dwarves aren't especially good at spellcasting, but they are good at
    > things like earth magic. Magic dart isn't going to do you jack, tho,
    > other than train conjurations and spellcasting and some small damage
    > when it works. I'd say get a book of geomancy if you're interested in
    > trying out some spells.

    No bookshops yet. Lots of distilleries, one scroll shop, and one armour
    shop. That's where the coveted dragon armour is (fire resistance
    granting). I do have a Book of the Earth, but it doesn't have any 1st or
    2nd level spells in it IIRC.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Elethiomel wrote:
    > Lars Kecke wrote:
    >
    >> Elethiomel wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the Hive like?

    >> with poison resitance it should be a walk in the park (unless you
    >> drown on the final level like one of my HDFi).
    >
    > Does a mistype equal drowning? (i.e., if you walk into deep water
    > "purposefully", will it give you a prompt or just "you die..."?

    It gives you a prompt unless you are confused, but if your levitation
    runs out over deep water you sink like a stone. Why you want to levitate
    over deep water in the hive is up to you to find out.

    > Aha! I thought Dwarven Armour granted dwarves a flat +1 extra AC (on top
    > of the +1 extra dwarven armour always gets?).

    No, it's +2 and extra +2 to armour skill, so the amount of extra AC from
    being dwarven depends on the armour's base AC (it is still roughly +1
    for splint or banded mails).

    > Nice. I should get some more dwarven gear then. Does the Lair have any
    > jellies or suchlike?

    No jellies but spiny worms (poison and acid damge, but no passive attack).

    > The Lair has been pretty easy for me so far,
    > excepting those insane blade traps.

    :-) Maybe invest a few skill points into T&D skill?

    > It's more than one scroll, so I think I'll save them. I don't think I'll
    > get a Pukux Lot, but I might get something else that's
    > scroll-enchantable instead.

    Good. Remember, dwarven axes give you (as a dwarf) +1 damage (and resist
    corrosion too).

    > Aren't there Horrible Hydras in the Swamp?

    Yes, also on the lower levels of the lair. Also the swamp holds swamp
    drakes which breathe confusion (resistable with poison resist or "oclarity).

    > I have only heard of these,
    > and I've also heard that a flaming weapon is neccessary to take them out
    > if you don't use a bludgeoning weapon.

    They are doable also with berserk (or haste&might), and of course with
    wands or crossbows.

    > And I don't think I'd be very
    > effective with that dwarven great mace that skeletal warrior dropped on
    > D:12.

    Dwarves are just as good with maces as they are with axes. Also maces
    and axes cross-train; but if you are in good standing with Oki, your
    standard axe and Oki's might might be enough.

    > Ow. The very first time I played Crawl my curious little spriggan
    > assassin picked up a weapon of Distortion. It was quite some time until
    > I wanted to play Crawl again.

    :-)

    [spellcasting]
    > I don't know why I should. It just seemed like it might be a good idea.
    > Smartwick mentioned Earth magic though... I have a Book of the Earth,
    > but that's mostly higher level spells.

    Well, my dwarves resort to scrolls and wands because I hate swapping in
    and out of my spellcasting gear (no armour, ring, etc), but that's just me.

    > Should I turn off spellcasting
    > altogether if I'm not going to cast any from books? Scrolls don't get
    > better/faster/more effective with higher spellcasting, right?

    You can leave it on. Scrolls don't train spellcasting after the first lecel.

    Lars
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker wrote:
    > In article <429ca537$2@news.broadpark.no>,
    > Elethiomel <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote:
    >
    >>I have another character that's a bit better than the previous few, but
    >>I'm not going to post him (since I'm sure you're tired of reading
    >>slightly-more-advanced-dwarven-fighter character dumps). I only have a
    >>few questions on what items do, and some general advice.
    >>
    >>What is the Hive like? I have poison resistance, but not much in the way
    >>of artefacts (except a pair of gloves that Okie was kind enough to grant
    >>me...) in case there's item damage.
    >

    > With poison resistance, as has been mentioned, it should be
    > straightforward, although the killer bees have a tendency to swarm you.
    > If you've taken on one of the mini-hives that sometimes show up in the
    > dungeon, it's just like that, only a lot bigger and with fewer corridors
    > nearby to hide in.

    Well, I did take out a mini-hive of ants. Soldier ants were somewhat
    tough, and I had to retreat to heal a few times, but overall I think it
    went fairly well. (Especially when I rid the level of the skeleton
    warriors and trolls and other big melee monsters that were waiting in
    the corridors I retreated to, first).

    >>Oh, and here are the gloves:
    >> u - the +3 pair of gloves "Eves T Vug" (worn)
    >> It makes you much more stealthy.
    >> It enhances your eyesight.
    >>
    >>Are the gloves really any good?
    >
    > Well, they aren't knock-me-over-with-a-feather good, but the're better
    > than any pair I've seen.

    Really? Now I'm worried that I won't do the item justice, by dying
    horribly when I reload. I better wait 'till Friday, when I have some
    time to spare at a time of day when I'm probably awake.

    >>I am apprehensive of going into the Mines with only scroll-teleports,
    >>given that some grey staircases can be of the "random" variety. I also
    >>have a wand of disintegrate, but no idea of how many charges it has.
    >
    > I don't usually worry about gray staircases being one-way in the Mines,
    > but I haven't had a character stuck there, either. Won't hurt you to
    > put them off for later, though.

    Well, I got to the Mines with a character a long time ago, and I was
    really proud because it was my best character yet. I didn't know about
    the specialness of brown staircases though, so I ended up dead-ended
    with no source of teleportation or digging, and little food. So... I'm
    scared. :P

    >>I love crossbows! Does Throwing help or hinder crossbow use?
    >
    > I love crossbows, too :-) Throwing helps.

    And to think this is the first crossbow I've seen (Except for a
    hand-crossbow I saw with a Minotaur Gladiator once, but "hand crossbow"
    seemed so puny I didn't even pick it off the floor).

    >>I've just gained a level of Spellcasting. I have a ring of magic power,
    >>and a ring of intelligence +5. Should I bring these along and learn
    >>Magic Dart, in case I find some opportunity to practice it, or are
    >>dwarves just too dense for spellcasting?
    >
    > You can try, but I think I agree with Lars that the crossbow will do
    > more than adequate ranged damage. If you want to pick up spellcasting,
    > you'll almost certainly need armor lighter than plate mail to begin
    > with...

    Hm. I could also spend any ?oA I get on Staves in the hope of getting a
    good rod, I guess, since I have evocation skill and no staff skill. But
    I do love that crossbow.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    In article <429cd108$1@news.broadpark.no>,
    Elethiomel <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote:
    >Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker wrote:
    >> In article <429ca537$2@news.broadpark.no>,
    >> Elethiomel <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have another character that's a bit better than the previous few, but
    >>>I'm not going to post him (since I'm sure you're tired of reading
    >>>slightly-more-advanced-dwarven-fighter character dumps). I only have a
    >>>few questions on what items do, and some general advice.
    >>>
    >>>What is the Hive like? I have poison resistance, but not much in the way
    >>>of artefacts (except a pair of gloves that Okie was kind enough to grant
    >>>me...) in case there's item damage.
    >>

    >> With poison resistance, as has been mentioned, it should be
    >> straightforward, although the killer bees have a tendency to swarm you.
    >> If you've taken on one of the mini-hives that sometimes show up in the
    >> dungeon, it's just like that, only a lot bigger and with fewer corridors
    >> nearby to hide in.
    >
    >Well, I did take out a mini-hive of ants. Soldier ants were somewhat
    >tough, and I had to retreat to heal a few times, but overall I think it
    >went fairly well. (Especially when I rid the level of the skeleton
    >warriors and trolls and other big melee monsters that were waiting in
    >the corridors I retreated to, first).
    >
    >>>Oh, and here are the gloves:
    >>> u - the +3 pair of gloves "Eves T Vug" (worn)
    >>> It makes you much more stealthy.
    >>> It enhances your eyesight.
    >>>
    >>>Are the gloves really any good?
    >>
    >> Well, they aren't knock-me-over-with-a-feather good, but the're better
    >> than any pair I've seen.
    >
    >Really? Now I'm worried that I won't do the item justice, by dying
    >horribly when I reload. I better wait 'till Friday, when I have some
    >time to spare at a time of day when I'm probably awake.

    I should note that I haven't played *all* that much (fifth place in my
    score file is still four digits, IIRC). Most of the recent randart
    armor I've seen has been mostly-good but with -4 or something, or has
    some other negative attribute. It's very hard to argue with any of the
    properties on the gloves.

    [the Mines, being trapped in]
    >Well, I got to the Mines with a character a long time ago, and I was
    >really proud because it was my best character yet. I didn't know about
    >the specialness of brown staircases though, so I ended up dead-ended
    >with no source of teleportation or digging, and little food. So... I'm
    >scared. :P

    Fair enough :-)

    >>>I love crossbows! Does Throwing help or hinder crossbow use?
    >>
    >> I love crossbows, too :-) Throwing helps.
    >
    >And to think this is the first crossbow I've seen (Except for a
    >hand-crossbow I saw with a Minotaur Gladiator once, but "hand crossbow"
    >seemed so puny I didn't even pick it off the floor).

    I had a recent character find one early, but that's the only one I
    recall having seen pre-Vaults. The character died, but he had fun
    stapling a couple of Ogres to the wall first :-)

    >>>I've just gained a level of Spellcasting. I have a ring of magic power,
    >>>and a ring of intelligence +5. Should I bring these along and learn
    >>>Magic Dart, in case I find some opportunity to practice it, or are
    >>>dwarves just too dense for spellcasting?
    >>
    >> You can try, but I think I agree with Lars that the crossbow will do
    >> more than adequate ranged damage. If you want to pick up spellcasting,
    >> you'll almost certainly need armor lighter than plate mail to begin
    >> with...
    >
    >Hm. I could also spend any ?oA I get on Staves in the hope of getting a
    >good rod, I guess, since I have evocation skill and no staff skill. But
    >I do love that crossbow.

    Evocations is definitely also possible, though outside my limited
    experience. I'd say that you might want to go for Enchantments, but I
    can't remember what, if anything, the level 1 one is. I keep thinking
    that I'll eventually get a fighterish character that can cast some
    enchantments (probably when I get up to "crusader" in the character
    classes), but I've not yet managed to pull it off.

    -Andrew ()
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:02:34 +0200, Elethiomel <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm>
    wrote:

    >And to think this is the first crossbow I've seen (Except for a
    >hand-crossbow I saw with a Minotaur Gladiator once, but "hand crossbow"
    >seemed so puny I didn't even pick it off the floor).

    Well, minotaurs are so slanted talentwise to doing ranged damage with
    missile weapons, I'd have probably had him use it. If nothing else, it
    uses darts, which is plentiful ammo, so it's a great skill builder for
    Crossbows and Throwing so when you get a big crossbow, you'll be able
    to handle it skillfully. OTOH, Minotaurs have the strength to really
    get value from enchanted bows, and good bows are pretty common once
    you start killing centaurs. Minotaurs are probably the race best
    suited to bows.

    --
    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com

    All right. I've advanced a bit more now, done the Hive (and gotten more
    food than anyone could ever need) and also picked up some randart
    armour. None of it yells out Pick me! Pick me!, and the best one, I
    think, is:

    the +3 ring mail of Licuxiv
    It affects your evasion (+5).
    It protects you from magic.

    Would this, and

    the uncursed mace of Harmony
    It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
    It protects you from magic.

    be good enough for use in the Slime Pits, when I'm a primarily
    axe-wielding MDFi? I've been considering turning off Axes in order to
    get more experience for my less-developed skills, but I miss things a
    lot, and seem to need even more to-hit. Axes skill raises to-hit, right?

    Also, I really want that swamp dragon armour (not that poison resistance
    is *that* important after I've done the Hive, right? But it would free
    up a ring slot in those areas where I need poison resistance) but my one
    foray down there met with a eight-headed hydra. I didn't have enough
    Invocations skill, so the hydra met me while I was unhasted. I was
    mighted, though, but it ate my hit points much faster than I ate its, so
    I read a scroll of teleport, and fortunately teleported away before I
    died. Unfortunately, I didn't teleport all that far, and the same hydra
    entered my FOV soon after. My emergency stopgap measure, the wand of
    draining, took care of it, but it's made me afraid to go back down
    there. Should I switch to the randart mace, put on my ring of slaying
    (0. +3), wear a large shield I happened to find (with 4 in shield skill)
    and go down there again, hoping to whoop hydras' asses? Or should I put
    it off until I can find some other item to use against them?

    Also, I have a deck of tricks. And a lamp of fire. I've been afraid to
    test both. Should I be?

    In addition, I have seen the entrance to the Elven Halls. The Orcish
    Mines seem to stop at level 3, at least all staircases to that level
    lead to small areas with no other staircases. And I'd rather save my
    wand of Disintegration for any emergency digging I might have to do.

    Relevant stats from the character dump, I think:

    Experience : 13/46729
    Strength 27 Dexterity 9 Intelligence 7
    Hit Points : 112 Magic Points : 14
    AC : 24 Evasion : 9 Shield : 0

    Skills:
    + Level 10 Fighting
    + Level 16 Axes
    + Level 4 Crossbows
    - Level 3 Darts
    + Level 2 Throwing
    + Level 12 Armour
    + Level 1 Stabbing
    + Level 4 Shields
    + Level 4 Traps & Doors
    + Level 1 Spellcasting
    + Level 3 Evocations

    Advice? Comments?
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Elethiomel" <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote in message
    > All right. I've advanced a bit more now, done the Hive (and gotten
    more
    > food than anyone could ever need) and also picked up some randart
    > armour. None of it yells out Pick me! Pick me!, and the best one, I
    > think, is:
    >
    > the +3 ring mail of Licuxiv
    > It affects your evasion (+5).
    > It protects you from magic.
    >
    > Would this, and
    >
    > the uncursed mace of Harmony
    > It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
    > It protects you from magic.
    >
    > be good enough for use in the Slime Pits, when I'm a primarily
    > axe-wielding MDFi? I've been considering turning off Axes in order to
    > get more experience for my less-developed skills, but I miss things a
    > lot, and seem to need even more to-hit. Axes skill raises to-hit,
    right?

    The ring mail is nice -- you'll want a high evasion and probably two
    levels of cold resistance before you go to the Slime Pits. Need to know
    the plusses on that mace before I can recommend anything. Unless it's
    +6 +12 or something like that, there's probably a great mace or great
    flail that's more worth it.

    And yes, axes skill raises to-hit.

    > Also, I really want that swamp dragon armour (not that poison
    resistance
    > is *that* important after I've done the Hive, right? But it would free
    > up a ring slot in those areas where I need poison resistance) but my
    one
    > foray down there met with a eight-headed hydra.

    Poison resistance is sort of justified for the Hive and the Snake Pit,
    and possibly necessary for the Swamp. Aside from that, if you want the
    ring slot, just take off the ring. Poisoning's not that big of a deal,
    and if you get *really* badly poisoned, healing potions are plentiful
    and not good for much else.

    > I didn't have enough
    > Invocations skill, so the hydra met me while I was unhasted. I was
    > mighted, though, but it ate my hit points much faster than I ate its,
    so
    > I read a scroll of teleport, and fortunately teleported away before I
    > died. Unfortunately, I didn't teleport all that far, and the same
    hydra
    > entered my FOV soon after. My emergency stopgap measure, the wand of
    > draining, took care of it, but it's made me afraid to go back down
    > there. Should I switch to the randart mace, put on my ring of slaying
    > (0. +3), wear a large shield I happened to find (with 4 in shield
    skill)
    > and go down there again, hoping to whoop hydras' asses? Or should I
    put
    > it off until I can find some other item to use against them?

    A rod of destruction would be nice. Forget the shield. You'll attack
    too slow for it to be worth it, and it makes swapping weapons for rods
    difficult.

    > Also, I have a deck of tricks. And a lamp of fire. I've been afraid to
    > test both. Should I be?

    No, not really. All the elementals will be hostile, but they're not too
    tough.

    > In addition, I have seen the entrance to the Elven Halls. The Orcish
    > Mines seem to stop at level 3, at least all staircases to that level
    > lead to small areas with no other staircases. And I'd rather save my
    > wand of Disintegration for any emergency digging I might have to do.

    > Advice? Comments?

    I may have missed it from the last dump (I've had trouble keeping up in
    here lately), but judging from your experience level, I'm guessing you
    haven't done the Snake Pit yet? If not, I'd do that.

    --
    Jeremey
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Elethiomel wrote:
    > All right. I've advanced a bit more now, done the Hive (and gotten more
    > food than anyone could ever need) and also picked up some randart
    > armour. None of it yells out Pick me! Pick me!, and the best one, I
    > think, is:
    >
    > the +3 ring mail of Licuxiv
    > It affects your evasion (+5).
    > It protects you from magic.
    >
    > Would this, and
    >
    > the uncursed mace of Harmony
    > It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
    > It protects you from magic.
    >
    > be good enough for use in the Slime Pits, when I'm a primarily
    > axe-wielding MDFi?

    Do not do the Slime Pits yet.

    By tackling it this early, you will be taking a risk disproportionate to
    its benefit. You might wish to take a *peek* in there to get a feel for
    it, but expect to use up some consumables in a hurry if you do.

    The ring mail is definitely Slime-grade, though you may find something
    even better in the meantime (above all, something with more AC so you
    can get more benefit from your Armour skill).

    After some maces training, the mace may be Slime-grade, depending on its
    pluses (discover them).

    > I've been considering turning off Axes in order to
    > get more experience for my less-developed skills, but I miss things a
    > lot, and seem to need even more to-hit.

    Less-developed skills are cheaper; not much of a drain until they ramp
    up. Maces as a side job frequently appear in axe-maniac YAVPs. I'd
    consider the same things you are considering considering. :-)

    > Axes skill raises to-hit, right?

    Yes. So do stats, enchantments, slaying bonuses... ;-) As an aside --
    with your Axes skill at level 16, improvement will be starting to get a
    little slow -- not to say that pushing it all the way uphill by the end
    isn't useful and recommended.

    > Also, I really want that swamp dragon armour (not that poison resistance
    > is *that* important after I've done the Hive, right? But it would free
    > up a ring slot in those areas where I need poison resistance)

    Always-on (as opposed to swap-in) resistance to poison is IMO mostly
    important for the brain cells it frees up for use in things like
    realizing-you're-doing-something-suicidal (which is something one often
    doesn't realize before one dies, due to being focused on something
    else). But going without it works too. Personally my preference is to
    wait for dragon armour or, if I'm *really* greedy, ice dragon armour.
    (And for a non-spellcaster with no unarmed, easily an even higher dragon
    armour as well -- but I've never actually played one of those to the
    endgame, really.) But for all the endgame benefit this brings, leaving
    all those ?oEA sitting around just gathering dust in the midgame has a
    price too; it's a hard choice to make.

    > but my one foray down there [to the Swamp? don't understand - E]
    > met with a eight-headed hydra. I didn't have enough
    > Invocations skill, so the hydra met me while I was unhasted. I was
    > mighted, though, but it ate my hit points much faster than I ate its, so
    > I read a scroll of teleport, and fortunately teleported away before I
    > died.

    Maces are indeed a simple solution to the hydra problem. Ranged attacks
    of various sorts are another, more complicated one. And Trog, too, as he
    provides so many weapons that you have a decent chance of getting a
    flaming axe eventually, though you never know when that eventually will
    come.

    > Unfortunately, I didn't teleport all that far, and the same hydra
    > entered my FOV soon after. My emergency stopgap measure, the wand of
    > draining, took care of it, but it's made me afraid to go back down
    > there. Should I switch to the randart mace, put on my ring of slaying
    > (0. +3), wear a large shield I happened to find (with 4 in shield skill)
    > and go down there again, hoping to whoop hydras' asses?

    The shield will hurt your accuracy until you get the skill up. It will
    hurt your speed too, and there's nothing you can do about that, but
    since the penalty is absolute rather than a percent, it can be
    acceptable with a weapon that's already slow (since you're not losing
    much). Trouble is, the slowest weapons are those that forbid or
    "dislike" a shield anyway.

    > Or should I put
    > it off until I can find some other item to use against them?

    Trying to do the whole swamp based on wands would be a bit iffy and a
    bit wasteful (unless you've found a wand shop and there's nothing else
    worth buying). In your situation I'd probably go the maces route. A tiny
    bit wasteful of XP perhaps, but at least you expand the range of
    randarts that you can actually use to fight with, and not just for show.

    You've already got a crossbow, and with good enough skill, I've found I
    could take out hydras with crossbows (I ran a "true hunter" MDHu
    recently who did just this... later I got so excited by his success
    overall that I missed his Fly spell -- yes, Fly spell -- running out and
    drowned :-/). This will not be a waste of XP -- the ranged option will
    come in handy all game long. But it's a more complicated route than the
    maces one.

    Rods are also an option (you'll need some acquirements and some luck for
    this route).

    > Also, I have a deck of tricks. And a lamp of fire. I've been afraid to
    > test both. Should I be?

    The deck of tricks is mostly harmless, but it's not terribly useful
    either. It does minor useful things like blinking you, teleporting you,
    and underwhelming things like berserking you (not useful when your
    weapon in hand is a deck of cards...). If your Evocations skill is low,
    you'll draw blank cards sometimes in place of real ones. Since the deck
    eventually runs out (a random chance on each draw), this means that if
    you do decide to use it, you might want to wait until your Evocations
    reaches... IIRC... ten.

    The lamp of fire yields an efreet or an elemental, can't recall which,
    who may be hostile (probably depends on fire skill). He carries a
    flaming scimitar. Nice IF you use long blades... just a way to get a few
    XP in a controlled environment otherwise.

    > In addition, I have seen the entrance to the Elven Halls.

    With no ranged option and without being a walking tank in melee yet, I'd
    recommend nothing more than a peek there, if anything, for now. Other
    than the loot at the bottom, the main benefits are XP, elven armour,
    missile weapons and ammo (bows/HC/arrows/darts), and long blades. Long
    blades and elven armour are useless to you, and one (launchers/ammo)
    might be, depending on your strategic decision regarding crossbows.

    My hunch is that your best place to pendulum off to for now is the Main
    Dungeon, until things start to get a little hairy. Watch out, though --
    when things start to get a little hairy in Crawl, they get real hairy
    real fast. Best advice Tina Hall ever gave me. :-) (Incidentally, the
    context was my considering doing the Elven Halls pretty early. Now those
    *really* get hairy fast when they start getting hairy -- they're really
    deceiving that way.)

    > The Orcish
    > Mines seem to stop at level 3, at least all staircases to that level
    > lead to small areas with no other staircases. And I'd rather save my
    > wand of Disintegration for any emergency digging I might have to do.

    The down staircases are just in areas you can't reach without
    teleportation/digging.

    Every now and then the big-momma orcs drop really nice axes, so it's
    worth clearing the remainder sooner or later, but for now, I'd do what
    you're doing.

    Disintegration digs too little for most types of tactical digging,
    actually. But OTOH it's good for strategic digging in the main dungeon,
    where even a single square dug can make a big difference (lot of levels
    with 1-square-thick walls).

    > + Level 1 Stabbing

    Even with it that low, I might turn it off if I were you.

    > + Level 4 Traps & Doors

    I heard the Abyss is accepting new residents...

    Erik
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Erik Piper wrote:
    > Elethiomel wrote:
    >
    >> All right. I've advanced a bit more now, done the Hive (and gotten
    >> more food than anyone could ever need) and also picked up some randart
    >> armour. None of it yells out Pick me! Pick me!, and the best one, I
    >> think, is:
    >>
    >> the +3 ring mail of Licuxiv
    >> It affects your evasion (+5).
    >> It protects you from magic.
    >>
    >> Would this, and
    >>
    >> the uncursed mace of Harmony
    >> It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
    >> It protects you from magic.
    >>
    >> be good enough for use in the Slime Pits, when I'm a primarily
    >> axe-wielding MDFi?
    >

    > Do not do the Slime Pits yet.

    All right.

    > By tackling it this early, you will be taking a risk disproportionate to
    > its benefit. You might wish to take a *peek* in there to get a feel for
    > it, but expect to use up some consumables in a hurry if you do.
    >
    > The ring mail is definitely Slime-grade, though you may find something
    > even better in the meantime (above all, something with more AC so you
    > can get more benefit from your Armour skill).

    Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. Assuming, of cousre, he survives.

    > After some maces training, the mace may be Slime-grade, depending on its
    > pluses (discover them).

    Discovering those plusses will also help mace training, I suppose. :)

    >> I've been considering turning off Axes in order to get more experience
    >> for my less-developed skills, but I miss things a lot, and seem to
    >> need even more to-hit.
    >

    > Less-developed skills are cheaper; not much of a drain until they ramp
    > up. Maces as a side job frequently appear in axe-maniac YAVPs. I'd
    > consider the same things you are considering considering. :-)

    Hm, all right.

    >> Axes skill raises to-hit, right?
    >

    > Yes. So do stats, enchantments, slaying bonuses... ;-) As an aside --
    > with your Axes skill at level 16, improvement will be starting to get a
    > little slow -- not to say that pushing it all the way uphill by the end
    > isn't useful and recommended.

    So you would recommend turning it off for now, so I can raise other
    skills (maces, traps&doors) quickly, or what?

    >> Also, I really want that swamp dragon armour (not that poison
    >> resistance is *that* important after I've done the Hive, right? But it
    >> would free up a ring slot in those areas where I need poison resistance)
    >
    > Always-on (as opposed to swap-in) resistance to poison is IMO mostly
    > important for the brain cells it frees up for use in things like
    > realizing-you're-doing-something-suicidal (which is something one often
    > doesn't realize before one dies, due to being focused on something
    > else). But going without it works too. Personally my preference is to
    > wait for dragon armour or, if I'm *really* greedy, ice dragon armour.
    > (And for a non-spellcaster with no unarmed, easily an even higher dragon
    > armour as well -- but I've never actually played one of those to the
    > endgame, really.) But for all the endgame benefit this brings, leaving
    > all those ?oEA sitting around just gathering dust in the midgame has a
    > price too; it's a hard choice to make.

    Yeah, most of my character deaths have been because I've done something
    I have later realised was suicidal. Too bad I'm so new at this I don't
    really know what is suicidal; seeing a new monster for the first time
    always makes me stop and consider -- but most times, I try and take it
    out, as I have no idea how tough that monster would be for me at the
    point I'm at.

    >> but my one foray down there [to the Swamp? don't understand - E]
    Yes, to the Swamp (where I would be likely to find said swamp dragons)
    >> met with a eight-headed hydra. I didn't have enough Invocations skill,
    >> so the hydra met me while I was unhasted. I was mighted, though, but
    >> it ate my hit points much faster than I ate its, so I read a scroll of
    >> teleport, and fortunately teleported away before I died.
    >
    > Maces are indeed a simple solution to the hydra problem. Ranged attacks
    > of various sorts are another, more complicated one. And Trog, too, as he
    > provides so many weapons that you have a decent chance of getting a
    > flaming axe eventually, though you never know when that eventually will
    > come.

    Well, I don't worship Trog. I worship Okawaru. I don't really like the
    berserking power too much, to be honest, even though it does make a
    character rather powerful. But I suppose Okie also gives me a decent
    chance at axes.

    >> Unfortunately, I didn't teleport all that far, and the same hydra
    >> entered my FOV soon after. My emergency stopgap measure, the wand of
    >> draining, took care of it, but it's made me afraid to go back down
    >> there. Should I switch to the randart mace, put on my ring of slaying
    >> (0. +3), wear a large shield I happened to find (with 4 in shield
    >> skill) and go down there again, hoping to whoop hydras' asses?
    >
    > The shield will hurt your accuracy until you get the skill up. It will
    > hurt your speed too, and there's nothing you can do about that, but
    > since the penalty is absolute rather than a percent, it can be
    > acceptable with a weapon that's already slow (since you're not losing
    > much). Trouble is, the slowest weapons are those that forbid or
    > "dislike" a shield anyway.

    Hm. The reason I wanted the shield is that the mace of Harmony is
    decidedly one-handed, and I have zero Unarmed skill. I also have that
    smaller dwarven shield (which I started with) in my Temple stash (I
    didn't bother to move it to the Lair). I figured that with the number of
    attacks a hydra gets, the advantage of a shield is more dependable (as
    opposed to a slow attacker like somebody wielding a great mace; fewer
    attacks per opponent means fewer RNG calls per opponent, this makes
    "short streaks of luck/bad luck" much more evident, while a large number
    of attacks per opponent would show more "regression to the mean". At
    least that's how I imagine it).

    >> Or should I put it off until I can find some other item to use against
    >> them?
    >
    > Trying to do the whole swamp based on wands would be a bit iffy and a
    > bit wasteful (unless you've found a wand shop and there's nothing else
    > worth buying). In your situation I'd probably go the maces route. A tiny
    > bit wasteful of XP perhaps, but at least you expand the range of
    > randarts that you can actually use to fight with, and not just for show.

    No wand shops, and plenty of scrolls to buy; and some potions. But I'm
    sort of holding out for a good randart or helmet in some store. Right
    now I have a +0 elven cap.

    > You've already got a crossbow, and with good enough skill, I've found I
    > could take out hydras with crossbows (I ran a "true hunter" MDHu
    > recently who did just this... later I got so excited by his success
    > overall that I missed his Fly spell -- yes, Fly spell -- running out and
    > drowned :-/). This will not be a waste of XP -- the ranged option will
    > come in handy all game long. But it's a more complicated route than the
    > maces one.

    I have boots of levitation, but haven't used them yet. All this posting
    about drowing makes me scared.

    > Rods are also an option (you'll need some acquirements and some luck for
    > this route).

    Yeah, I was planning on spending any aquirements I got on rods.

    >> Also, I have a deck of tricks. And a lamp of fire. I've been afraid to
    >> test both. Should I be?
    >
    > The deck of tricks is mostly harmless, but it's not terribly useful
    > either. It does minor useful things like blinking you, teleporting you,
    > and underwhelming things like berserking you (not useful when your
    > weapon in hand is a deck of cards...). If your Evocations skill is low,
    > you'll draw blank cards sometimes in place of real ones. Since the deck
    > eventually runs out (a random chance on each draw), this means that if
    > you do decide to use it, you might want to wait until your Evocations
    > reaches... IIRC... ten.

    Well, at least berserking with a deck of cards as weapon in hand gives
    you an opportunity to run away!

    > The lamp of fire yields an efreet or an elemental, can't recall which,
    > who may be hostile (probably depends on fire skill). He carries a
    > flaming scimitar. Nice IF you use long blades... just a way to get a few
    > XP in a controlled environment otherwise.

    Interesting. I've been wanting to test out a sword-fighter too. I was
    thinking Grey Elf, possibly. Starting off as a Conjurer, maybe.

    I also have a bottle, which says it has an efreet in it.

    >> In addition, I have seen the entrance to the Elven Halls.
    >
    > With no ranged option and without being a walking tank in melee yet, I'd
    > recommend nothing more than a peek there, if anything, for now. Other
    > than the loot at the bottom, the main benefits are XP, elven armour,
    > missile weapons and ammo (bows/HC/arrows/darts), and long blades. Long
    > blades and elven armour are useless to you, and one (launchers/ammo)
    > might be, depending on your strategic decision regarding crossbows.

    Hm. Elven halls will most likely be postponed until further notice,
    then... I have decided to go for crossbows as my main ranged weapon
    until I get rods, and I prefer the big kind over the small puny kind.

    > My hunch is that your best place to pendulum off to for now is the Main
    > Dungeon, until things start to get a little hairy. Watch out, though --
    > when things start to get a little hairy in Crawl, they get real hairy
    > real fast. Best advice Tina Hall ever gave me. :-) (Incidentally, the
    > context was my considering doing the Elven Halls pretty early. Now those
    > *really* get hairy fast when they start getting hairy -- they're really
    > deceiving that way.)

    The main dungeon, huh? Interesting. What about the Snake Pit, as Jeremy
    Wilson suggested? I haven't found the stairs to it yet, but I assume
    they're to be found in the Lair?

    >> The Orcish Mines seem to stop at level 3, at least all staircases to
    >> that level lead to small areas with no other staircases. And I'd
    >> rather save my wand of Disintegration for any emergency digging I
    >> might have to do.
    >
    > The down staircases are just in areas you can't reach without
    > teleportation/digging.

    I sort of suspected this. Should I blow one of my two only scrolls of
    magic mapping to see if there's a short way to dig into this level of
    the Orcish Mines, maybe? I guess I'll see whether I find any wands of
    digging in the main dungeon or possibly the Snake Pit.

    > Every now and then the big-momma orcs drop really nice axes, so it's
    > worth clearing the remainder sooner or later, but for now, I'd do what
    > you're doing.

    An axe of flaming would really make my day for the Swamp, I suppose.
    Especially if it was a bit faster and more accurate than my current
    orcish battle axe of chopping. Hydras with 0 heads die, right? Is there
    a lower damage limit for chopping off a head?

    > Disintegration digs too little for most types of tactical digging,
    > actually. But OTOH it's good for strategic digging in the main dungeon,
    > where even a single square dug can make a big difference (lot of levels
    > with 1-square-thick walls).

    I also seem to have read something about it being good against Curse
    Skulls, whatever those are.

    >> + Level 1 Stabbing
    >
    > Even with it that low, I might turn it off if I were you.

    Hmm. All right.

    >> + Level 4 Traps & Doors
    >
    > I heard the Abyss is accepting new residents...

    Hey, I'm training this every opportunity I get (but then I'm pretty new
    at this -- I suppose I have skipped out on some opportunities,
    especially in the beginning as I was desperately forging ahead,
    dissecting corpses left and right to feed my ring-of-hunger fueled
    metabolism, charging blindly for any scrolls [well, not quite blind
    charges, but it did put me into a couple of avoidable multi-enemy
    situations] in the hope that they might be scrolls of uncursing). At
    least I am starting to get "Do you really want to step there?" messages now.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Find the Snake Pit. With poison resistance it's not much of a problem
    until the very bottom. It's a good source of axes, too. If you haven't
    done the Hive yet, I do it prior to the Snake Pit.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Find the Snake Pit. With poison resistance it's not much of a problem
    > until the very bottom. It's a good source of axes, too. If you haven't
    > done the Hive yet, I do it prior to the Snake Pit.

    Found it. However, the up stairs is very far removed from any other
    parts of the level, and there are no down stairs in that section. I did
    find a ring of teleportation which I identified in the stash visit I had
    after finding the Snake Pit, though, so I'll probably go down there.

    What's a fan likely to do?

    What is a good complement of wands in the Snake Pit? I'm not leaning
    heavily on wands, so I have a ton of resistables from the early game
    (confusion, slowing, flame, cold...) Also, besides success rate, does
    wand-hasting differ significantly from Okawaru-hasting?

    Do the nagas in the Snake Pit cast any equipment-troubling spells?
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Elethiomel wrote:
    > Erik Piper wrote:
    >
    >> Elethiomel wrote:

    >> Do not do the Slime Pits yet.
    >
    > All right.
    >
    > So you would recommend turning it off for now, so I can raise other
    > skills (maces, traps&doors) quickly, or what?

    Maybe bring T&D to 6 (then IME the automating search starts getting
    useful) or develop unarmed skill (5 levels of unarmed should be cheaper
    than an additional level of axe) for a few extra punches.

    > Well, I don't worship Trog. I worship Okawaru. I don't really like the
    > berserking power too much, to be honest, even though it does make a
    > character rather powerful. But I suppose Okie also gives me a decent
    > chance at axes.

    Yes. The gods' weapon drops are weighted by your weapon skills, so Oki
    should drop just half as many axes (the rest being armour) as trog.

    > I figured that with the number of
    > attacks a hydra gets, the advantage of a shield is more dependable (as
    > opposed to a slow attacker like somebody wielding a great mace;

    this, unfortunately, is wrong. The n'th block in a round gets a
    10*(n-1)^2 points penalty, so shields rarely block more than two of the
    hydra's heads.

    >>> Or should I put it off until I can find some other item to use
    >>> against them?

    Get yourself some nice great mace and the skill to use it.

    > No wand shops, and plenty of scrolls to buy; and some potions. But I'm
    > sort of holding out for a good randart or helmet in some store. Right
    > now I have a +0 elven cap.

    Here too Oki will help you soon.

    > I have boots of levitation, but haven't used them yet. All this posting
    > about drowing makes me scared.

    As long as you aren't distracted everything is fine. Check your
    levitation status often and when in doubt, blink.

    > Well, at least berserking with a deck of cards as weapon in hand gives
    > you an opportunity to run away!
    >
    >> The lamp of fire yields an efreet or an elemental, can't recall which,
    >> who may be hostile (probably depends on fire skill).

    it's an elemental. Efrets come in flasks.

    > Hm. Elven halls will most likely be postponed until further notice,
    > then... I have decided to go for crossbows as my main ranged weapon
    > until I get rods, and I prefer the big kind over the small puny kind.

    :-)

    > The main dungeon, huh? Interesting. What about the Snake Pit, as Jeremy
    > Wilson suggested?

    I'd do the snake pit, but that's just me.

    >I haven't found the stairs to it yet, but I assume
    > they're to be found in the Lair?

    yes.

    > An axe of flaming would really make my day for the Swamp, I suppose.
    > Especially if it was a bit faster and more accurate than my current
    > orcish battle axe of chopping.

    > Hydras with 0 heads die, right?

    right

    > Is there
    > a lower damage limit for chopping off a head?

    4 points (after the hydra's AC of course) to reliably do so, 1 point to
    get a 50% chance.

    >> Disintegration digs too little for most types of tactical digging,
    >> actually. But OTOH it's good for strategic digging in the main
    >> dungeon, where even a single square dug can make a big difference (lot
    >> of levels with 1-square-thick walls).
    >
    > I also seem to have read something about it being good against Curse
    > Skulls, whatever those are.

    And of course against those nasty silver and orange statues.

    Lars
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message
    > Elethiomel wrote:
    > > I have boots of levitation, but haven't used them yet. All this
    posting
    > > about drowing makes me scared.
    >
    > As long as you aren't distracted everything is fine. Check your
    > levitation status often and when in doubt, blink.

    Levitation boots of levitation doesn't wear off -- you have to turn it
    off. They'd be good to wear in the Swamp, maybe paired with an "CF.

    --
    Jeremey
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Levitation boots of levitation doesn't wear off -- you have to turn it
    > off. They'd be good to wear in the Swamp, maybe paired with an "CF.

    What I meant say "levitation from boots of levitation doesn't wear off".
    Not English so good first thing morning.

    --
    Jeremey
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Elethiomel wrote:
    > smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Find the Snake Pit. With poison resistance it's not much of a problem
    >> until the very bottom. It's a good source of axes, too. If you haven't
    >> done the Hive yet, I do it prior to the Snake Pit.
    >>

    > Found it. However, the up stairs is very far removed from any other
    > parts of the level, and there are no down stairs in that section. I did
    > find a ring of teleportation which I identified in the stash visit I had
    > after finding the Snake Pit, though, so I'll probably go down there.

    I thought you'd done it already. Oh, do it, do it. Just be careful on
    the bottom level -- it's much harder than the remainder (which can be
    soothingly easy) and can take you by surprise. There's a certain little
    piece of terrain on the bottom level that says "use me!" Use it.

    > What's a fan likely to do?

    Summon air elementals, which will be hostile (you have no Air skill) and
    treat the air like Crawl's fish treat water. ISTR they're invisible too.
    Not as threatening as it sounds, though -- I bet their attacks will just
    bounce off your heavy armour.

    > What is a good complement of wands in the Snake Pit?

    Consumables more generally --
    - You may need a way to run like hell.
    - You may need a way to heal in a hurry.
    - You may want a way to cancel teleportation -- certain nagas at the
    bottom have an attack enchantment that teleports you. Due to the level
    layout, being randomly teleported there can sometimes be a Very Bad
    Thing. Using teleportation when you're about to teleport already cancels
    the original teleportation.
    - For wand attacks, you will want maximum accuracy (e.g. fireball)
    rather than maximum possible damage (e.g. well-bounced lightning). If
    anything at *all* will be a threat to someone with an AC like yours
    before the bottom, it'll be the fastest snakes. And these dodge really well.

    > (confusion, slowing, flame, cold...) Also, besides success rate, does
    > wand-hasting differ significantly from Okawaru-hasting?

    No.

    > Do the nagas in the Snake Pit cast any equipment-troubling spells?

    Just neck-troubling ones. :-) But the Snake Pits are rather heavy on
    uniques. You're probably used to uniques being laughable. The ones that
    can arrive around Snake Pits depth are... not. (Understatement of the
    year.) These uniques will often have equipment-troubling spells.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Lars Kecke wrote:
    > Elethiomel wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Piper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Elethiomel wrote:
    >

    >>> Do not do the Slime Pits yet.
    >>

    >> All right.
    >>
    >> So you would recommend turning it off for now, so I can raise other
    >> skills (maces, traps&doors) quickly, or what?
    >

    > Maybe bring T&D to 6 (then IME the automating search starts getting
    > useful) or develop unarmed skill (5 levels of unarmed should be cheaper
    > than an additional level of axe) for a few extra punches.

    I'm still training T&D every time I have experience in my pool and a
    handy trap nearby.

    But Great Maces and Battle Axes don't leave one hand free for punching,
    do they? I might get a headbutt now and again, but...

    >> Well, I don't worship Trog. I worship Okawaru. I don't really like the
    >> berserking power too much, to be honest, even though it does make a
    >> character rather powerful. But I suppose Okie also gives me a decent
    >> chance at axes.
    >
    > Yes. The gods' weapon drops are weighted by your weapon skills, so Oki
    > should drop just half as many axes (the rest being armour) as trog.

    Those randart gloves I mentioned in an earlier post about this guy came
    from Okie, so I'm pretty happy about my choice of religion.

    >> I figured that with the number of attacks a hydra gets, the advantage
    >> of a shield is more dependable (as opposed to a slow attacker like
    >> somebody wielding a great mace;
    >
    > this, unfortunately, is wrong. The n'th block in a round gets a
    > 10*(n-1)^2 points penalty, so shields rarely block more than two of the
    > hydra's heads.

    That sort of makes sense, if you look at the realism side of it. Oh,
    well. I'll ignore shields then.

    > Get yourself some nice great mace and the skill to use it.

    Unless I find a flaming hand axe in the Snake Pits, I shall.

    >> No wand shops, and plenty of scrolls to buy; and some potions. But I'm
    >> sort of holding out for a good randart or helmet in some store. Right
    >> now I have a +0 elven cap.
    >
    > Here too Oki will help you soon.

    I'm looking forward to that. Lately he's been giving me ring mails,
    which is neither here nor there.

    >> I have boots of levitation, but haven't used them yet. All this
    >> posting about drowing makes me scared.
    >
    > As long as you aren't distracted everything is fine. Check your
    > levitation status often and when in doubt, blink.

    My sources of blinking are as of this moment limited to 1 single scroll.
    I used two getting out from serious trouble when I left the downstairs
    in the Hive

    >>> The lamp of fire yields an efreet or an elemental, can't recall
    >>> which, who may be hostile (probably depends on fire skill).
    >
    > it's an elemental. Efrets come in flasks.

    Well, now I have both! How .. handy. And in case I want to get some XP
    in a controlled environment, I do have a ring of protection from fire,
    and also a ring of fire.

    >> The main dungeon, huh? Interesting. What about the Snake Pit, as
    >> Jeremy Wilson suggested?
    >
    > I'd do the snake pit, but that's just me.

    I shall, then.

    >> I haven't found the stairs to it yet, but I assume they're to be found
    >> in the Lair?
    >
    > yes.

    And now I know where they are. Too bad I have such long shifts this
    weekend, or I'd be able to play. Oh, well.

    >> An axe of flaming would really make my day for the Swamp, I suppose.
    >> Especially if it was a bit faster and more accurate than my current
    >> orcish battle axe of chopping.
    >> Hydras with 0 heads die, right?
    > right
    >> Is there a lower damage limit for chopping off a head?
    > 4 points (after the hydra's AC of course) to reliably do so, 1 point to
    > get a 50% chance.

    So a flaming hand axe with a plus or two would be more or less ideal.

    (come to think of it, dual wielding in Crawl would make hydras less
    scary for sword-wielders. I've seen so many glowing swords of various
    varieties, a couple of them are bound to be flaming weapons.)

    >>> Disintegration digs too little for most types of tactical digging,
    >>> actually. But OTOH it's good for strategic digging in the main
    >>> dungeon, where even a single square dug can make a big difference
    >>> (lot of levels with 1-square-thick walls).
    >>

    >> I also seem to have read something about it being good against Curse
    >> Skulls, whatever those are.
    >
    > And of course against those nasty silver and orange statues.

    I shall remember that.

    Once again, thanks to you and everybody else on this NG who's kind
    enough to offer advice!
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Erik Piper wrote:
    > Elethiomel wrote:
    >
    >> smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Find the Snake Pit. With poison resistance it's not much of a problem
    >>> until the very bottom. It's a good source of axes, too. If you haven't
    >>> done the Hive yet, I do it prior to the Snake Pit.

    > I thought you'd done it already. Oh, do it, do it. Just be careful on
    > the bottom level -- it's much harder than the remainder (which can be
    > soothingly easy) and can take you by surprise. There's a certain little
    > piece of terrain on the bottom level that says "use me!" Use it.

    All right. I may do some more of the main dungeon before I do the last
    level of the snake pit, depending on what I find in the rest of the
    Snake Pit.

    >> What's a fan likely to do?
    >
    > Summon air elementals, which will be hostile (you have no Air skill) and
    > treat the air like Crawl's fish treat water. ISTR they're invisible too.
    > Not as threatening as it sounds, though -- I bet their attacks will just
    > bounce off your heavy armour.

    Don't air elementals cast lightning stuff?

    >> What is a good complement of wands in the Snake Pit?
    >
    > Consumables more generally --
    > - You may need a way to run like hell.
    Check. Wand of Haste.
    > - You may need a way to heal in a hurry.
    !oHW... good enough?
    > - You may want a way to cancel teleportation -- certain nagas at the

    =oTeleportation... is this good enough with Evocations 4? If not, I'll
    bring a few scrolls, too.

    > bottom have an attack enchantment that teleports you. Due to the level
    > layout, being randomly teleported there can sometimes be a Very Bad
    > Thing. Using teleportation when you're about to teleport already cancels
    > the original teleportation.

    If there's only one place in the level where it's practical to attack
    nagas one-by-one I'd imagine that's so, yeah.

    > - For wand attacks, you will want maximum accuracy (e.g. fireball)
    > rather than maximum possible damage (e.g. well-bounced lightning). If
    > anything at *all* will be a threat to someone with an AC like yours
    > before the bottom, it'll be the fastest snakes. And these dodge really
    > well.

    Hm. What about the wand of Draining? I don't think I have a wand of
    Fireballs yet.

    >> Do the nagas in the Snake Pit cast any equipment-troubling spells?
    >
    > Just neck-troubling ones. :-) But the Snake Pits are rather heavy on
    > uniques. You're probably used to uniques being laughable. The ones that
    > can arrive around Snake Pits depth are... not. (Understatement of the
    > year.) These uniques will often have equipment-troubling spells.

    I'll bring my "oConservation then. And enough food to not starve to
    death if Banished to the Abyss.

    Are equipment-carrying monsters likely to be generated on Snake Pit:1?
    If not, I had the idea that I could build a temporary stash there of
    things-to-be-identified that I find in the Snake Pits (I'm running short
    of ?oRC, so I thought I'd stack up on items and then read a ?oDC on it,
    but running allll the way to Lair:1 is rather far from the snake pit,
    especially when I need teleportation to reach the up stairs).
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Elethiomel wrote:
    > Erik Piper wrote:
    >> Elethiomel wrote:
    >>> smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

    >>> What's a fan likely to do?
    >>
    >> Summon air elementals, which will be hostile (you have no Air skill)
    >> and treat the air like Crawl's fish treat water. ISTR they're
    >> invisible too. Not as threatening as it sounds, though -- I bet their
    >> attacks will just bounce off your heavy armour.
    >
    > Don't air elementals cast lightning stuff?

    No.

    >>> What is a good complement of wands in the Snake Pit?
    >>
    >> Consumables more generally --

    [...]

    >> - You may need a way to heal in a hurry.
    >
    > !oHW... good enough?

    Either carry a lot (4-5), or tie a string around your finger to check if
    a unique hits you with ice.

    >> - You may want a way to cancel teleportation -- certain nagas at the
    >
    > =oTeleportation... is this good enough with Evocations 4?

    No.

    > If not, I'll bring a few scrolls, too.

    Do. It's psychologically painful to burn them up in order to *not*
    teleport, but you really don't want to experience what it's like to be
    drowning in a sea of top-rate nagas. The orb of energy hits you! The orb
    of energy hits you! The orb of energy hits you!... Note that orbs of
    energy have small numbers of large dice, so don't be deceived if the
    first ones launched at you just bounce off.

    >> bottom have an attack enchantment that teleports you. Due to the level
    >> layout, being randomly teleported there can sometimes be a Very Bad
    >> Thing. Using teleportation when you're about to teleport already
    >> cancels the original teleportation.
    >
    > If there's only one place in the level where it's practical to attack
    > nagas one-by-one I'd imagine that's so, yeah.

    You guessed it in part, but the deadliness of being surrounded by
    monsters with a devastating ranged attack is much more important than
    the convenience of the one-to-one spot. I mean, your armour would
    cushion the blow, but even armour has its limits.

    >> - For wand attacks, you will want maximum accuracy (e.g. fireball)
    >> rather than maximum possible damage (e.g. well-bounced lightning). If
    >> anything at *all* will be a threat to someone with an AC like yours
    >> before the bottom, it'll be the fastest snakes. And these dodge really
    >> well.
    >
    > Hm. What about the wand of Draining? I don't think I have a wand of
    > Fireballs yet.

    Oof. Well, bring something (other than the especially-inaccurate
    Lightning, although it's OK against the nagas, just not the snakes), and
    keep in mind that you probably won't be able to damage a snake at range
    (most important for softening up the grey snakes, I'd say).

    >>> Do the nagas in the Snake Pit cast any equipment-troubling spells?
    >>
    >> Just neck-troubling ones. :-) But the Snake Pits are rather heavy on
    >> uniques. You're probably used to uniques being laughable. The ones
    >> that can arrive around Snake Pits depth are... not. (Understatement of
    >> the year.) These uniques will often have equipment-troubling spells.
    >
    > I'll bring my "oConservation then. And enough food to not starve to
    > death if Banished to the Abyss.

    Nagas won't send you there. But the Snake Pits one of the first real
    Zot-trap areas...

    > Are equipment-carrying monsters likely to be generated on Snake Pit:1?

    Uniques are not uncommon there.

    > If not, I had the idea that I could build a temporary stash there of
    > things-to-be-identified that I find in the Snake Pits (I'm running short
    > of ?oRC, so I thought I'd stack up on items and then read a ?oDC on it,
    > but running allll the way to Lair:1 is rather far from the snake pit,
    > especially when I need teleportation to reach the up stairs).

    Uniques are AFAIR only generated with a level, not while you're on it.
    Clear a level, then do what you said.

    Erik
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    In article <d7pb8k$p1k$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> wrote:
    >But the Snake Pits are rather heavy on uniques. You're probably used to
    >uniques being laughable. The ones that can arrive around Snake Pits
    >depth are... not. (Understatement of the year.) These uniques will
    >often have equipment-troubling spells.

    In my experience they don't seem to be any heavier than the rest of the
    dungeon... and I haven't got any idea who you'd be talking about here.
    Or can you pull Margery or Xtahua in the Snake Pits? (those are the
    two, other than Boris, that I've had memorable fights with, as yet).

    -Andrew ()
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    in article 11a12372qpsatec@corp.supernews.com, Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker at
    aps@turing.cs.hmc.edu wrote on 6/3/05 12:42 PM:

    > In article <d7pb8k$p1k$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    > Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> wrote:
    >> But the Snake Pits are rather heavy on uniques. You're probably used to
    >> uniques being laughable. The ones that can arrive around Snake Pits
    >> depth are... not. (Understatement of the year.) These uniques will
    >> often have equipment-troubling spells.
    >
    > In my experience they don't seem to be any heavier than the rest of the
    > dungeon... and I haven't got any idea who you'd be talking about here.
    > Or can you pull Margery or Xtahua in the Snake Pits? (those are the
    > two, other than Boris, that I've had memorable fights with, as yet).
    >
    > -Andrew ()

    Yes. You can also pull Boris. I assume unique generation is tied to
    dungeon level, like Zot traps... Snake 5 can be the equivalent of like DLvl
    24 or something, so if the Lair entrance is deep, then the Pit's deep in the
    Lair, the uniques in the Pit can be pretty tough.

    This is just from experience, but I know I've killed Boris and been killed
    by Margery several times in the Pit. Pretty sure I've never seen Xtahau
    there, but I know I've run into her in the Swamp.

    --
    Jeremey
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker wrote:
    > In article <d7pb8k$p1k$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    > Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> wrote:
    >
    >>But the Snake Pits are rather heavy on uniques. You're probably used to
    >>uniques being laughable. The ones that can arrive around Snake Pits
    >>depth are... not. (Understatement of the year.) These uniques will
    >>often have equipment-troubling spells.
    >

    > In my experience they don't seem to be any heavier than the rest of the
    > dungeon... and I haven't got any idea who you'd be talking about here.
    > Or can you pull Margery or Xtahua in the Snake Pits? (those are the
    > two, other than Boris, that I've had memorable fights with, as yet).
    >
    > -Andrew ()

    Both. And Boris too IIRC. I've also had Adolf in there, who's not always
    dangerous, but sometimes get a mean streak (he came | this close to
    making my last winner just another name on the highscore list).

    Erik
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Sorry to hear.

    As I mentioned earlier, the Snake Pit can be good for axes:

    Hand weapons
    a - a +3,+1 dwarven broad axe of electrocution
    g - an uncursed battleaxe
    j - an uncursed runed battleaxe of freezing
    t - a +1,+0 dwarven battleaxe
    u - the uncursed war axe "Big Czidecib"
    It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
    It affects your intelligence (+4).
    It makes you much more stealthy.
    It lets you turn invisible.

    v - an uncursed glowing war axe of venom
    y - a +0,+1 orcish battleaxe
    C - a war axe
    D - a war axe
    F - a war axe
    I - a +0,+2 dwarven battleaxe (weapon)

    The broad axe of electrocution was the best I'd found up until doing
    the Snake Pit. All the rest are from the first level of the Pit.

    A topic that came up earlier was racial bonuses with weapons, and I'd
    like to talk about and see what everybody thinks. I'm assuming the best
    thing to do will be to vorpalize the orcish battleaxe and enchant it
    up. The character is an orcish chaos knight. Is the easy answer the
    correct one?

    I suspect that the electrocution effect occurs more frequently with
    rising weapon skill. Does anyone know if that's so?
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Thanks.

    I spent a while tonight thinking sacrificing to Makhleb helped cure
    poisoning. Coincidences are so convincing.
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Erik Piper wrote:
    > Elethiomel wrote:
    >> Yeah, most of my character deaths have been because I've done
    >> something I have later realised was suicidal. Too bad I'm so new at
    >> this I don't really know what is suicidal;
    >

    > I do suicidal things sometimes even though I know what they are. That's
    > why I like to keep things simple sometimes -- it helps prevent me from
    > doing that. :-)

    And now I did, too. I panicked and even though I did have a scroll of
    blinking and just a few steps to LOS of the stairs, I tried to run for
    nearest cover instead, to save my scroll. I guess I still have to learn
    that consumables are less worth than taking risks with characters' lives.

    Which means, yes, that he's dead. Blasted by a greater naga on SP:5.
    While running away the stupid way (with haste) and too few HP - in my
    panic I forgot your mention that Greater Nagas' barrages had small
    numbers of big dice, so I was sure I could survive one more hit...

    >> [...] fewer attacks per opponent means fewer RNG calls per opponent,
    >> this makes "short streaks of luck/bad luck" much more evident, while a
    >> large number of attacks per opponent would show more "regression to
    >> the mean". At least that's how I imagine it).
    >
    > I am I believe in the minority in that I agree with you that "larger
    > numbers of smaller dice" is helpful in Crawl, and in large part for the
    > same reason; both of my wins have been with fast-but-weak weapons
    > boosted just enough by damage bonuses that the disadvantage of this
    > approach -- the strong impact that enemy armour has on it -- doesn't
    > overcome the advantages.

    Maybe I'll try that soon. It does make sense. (fast-but-weak weapons) :)

    > Still, by the time you count in the slowdown from the shield, you're not
    > gonna be hitting much faster with that thing than with a 2-handed
    > mace/flail.

    And I did find a better solution - a Great Mace of Protection. I bet
    that with 30 AC from using the great mace, and no head-regrowth, hydras
    would be much less of an issue.
    (Although now that I look at the morgue.txt, the last gift I got from
    Okawaru was actually a +1 elven shield of protection. Which would give
    even better AC, I suppose.)

    > Do note that a well-armoured character can after a certain point -- and
    > you're either there already or are on your way -- just laugh off hydras.
    > Their terror is in their attacks/round, not the strength of those
    > attacks. And eventually, your guaranteed damage reduction, at the very
    > least, will leave them flailing helplessly at you.

    24 AC was not that point. I think 30 AC might have been.

    > My mental jury is still out on shields. Even I haven't found a real use
    > for them yet, I've seen popular wisdom be wrong on other things in Crawl
    > before [1], so I hesitate to damn them yet.

    Unfortunately I wasn't able to use that shield of protection for any
    length of time at all.

    >> All this posting about drowing makes me scared.
    >
    > <obscure reference>Drizzt hits you for 300 points of damage! Drizzt hits
    > you for 300 points of damage! Drizzt hits you for 300 points of damage!
    > You ueber-die...</obscure reference>

    Not obscure at all - at least not to me. :)

    > Err, but anyway, don't worry so much about drowning unless you're
    > inattentive as a person. You get a decent warning about it beforehand.
    > The exception is a certain use of levitation in a certain part of the
    > Hive -- I can't explain more without giving away too much even more than
    > I'm already doing (unless I know you want to be spoiled).

    Oh, I finished the Hive already. Killer bees were as nothing to me, as
    long as I used some walls and plants for cover. I wonder, though, since
    so many people want to levitate there, if there's something on the other
    side of that water...

    [deck of tricks]
    >> Well, at least berserking with a deck of cards as weapon in hand gives
    >> you an opportunity to run away!
    >
    > Yes, but it's so *embarrassing*.

    hehe :)

    >> Hm. Elven halls will most likely be postponed until further notice,
    >> then... I have decided to go for crossbows as my main ranged weapon
    >> until I get rods, and I prefer the big kind over the small puny kind.
    >
    > The small puny kind lets you train the skill without wasting the
    > real-man's ammo. And it and its ammo are light as a feather to a big
    > muscular dwarf like you. :-)

    But there are so many bolt traps in the dungeon - bolts are plentiful.
    At least so far.

    >>> I heard the Abyss is accepting new residents...
    >> Hey, I'm training this every opportunity I get (but then I'm pretty
    >> new at this -- I suppose I have skipped out on some opportunities,
    >> [reasons why]
    > Hey, no sweat. I'm just saying it's really, really frustrating to lose a
    > midlevel character to a Zot-induced trip to the Abyss. (By the endgame
    > it becomes more survivable, though I've lost a few endgame characters
    > there too.)

    Well, I met a zot trap that confused me, and when the confusion made me
    step onto it again it blasted me for damage, so I got more motivation
    for training T&D. Turning off axes netted me many thousands of free XP
    which I used to train maces & flails to 10 and T&D to 6.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I suspect that the electrocution effect occurs more frequently with
    > rising weapon skill. Does anyone know if that's so?

    According to the source, the only weapon brand which is dependant on skill
    is Pain (which is dependant on Necromancy skill). Electrocution weapons do
    extra damage one time in three, regardless of your weapon skill.

    Sam
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

    > A topic that came up earlier was racial bonuses with weapons, and I'd
    > [vorpalize and enchant the orcish battleaxe]

    My recollection is that they don't do terribly much... and yet every bit
    counts. Chopping/slicing/crushing/piercing is a good, solid ego -- it's
    far from negligible and nothing ignores it (hydras notwithstanding). And
    executioner's axes are so rare that I guess even I wouldn't bet the farm
    on murphy's-law running into one later on. I'd do what you'd do.

    > I suspect that the electrocution effect occurs more frequently with
    > rising weapon skill. Does anyone know if that's so?

    As you read, the answer is no; more globally, the answer is
    "electrocution is a okay ego for fast weapons, and rather lousy for slow
    ones."

    Erik

Video Games