Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Crawl] YACD DEFE

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:23:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Advice, comments, or random babble appreciated.

>Dungeon Crawl 400b26e069tf(Windows/Tile) character file.
>[Last build Mar 13 2005]
>
>
>Dan the Thaumaturge
>
>Race : Deep Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
>Class : Fire ElementalistRes.Cold : . . . Warding : .
>Worship : Vehumet Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
> Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
>Level 10 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : +
>Exp 9933
>Next Level 10863 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
>Exp Needed 930 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
>Spls.Left 22 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
>Gold 475 Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
>
>HP : 41/ 41
>MP : 32/ 32 Weapon quarterstaff (protect)
>Str : 7 Armour +1 robe (R-magic)
>Int : 22 Shield none
>Dex : 15 Helmet none
>Armour Cl: 11 Cloak +0 elf cloak
>Evasion : 16 Gloves +1 pair of gloves
>Shield Cl: 0 Boots +0 pair of boots
> Amulet amulet of the gourmand
>Play time : 01:47:40 Ring ring of levitation
>Turns : 17162 Ring +3 ring of evasion

Not too shabby. And I've got a little cold now, so I can deal with
imps -- I really hate those guys when I'm playing a FE

>You are in the Lair.
>You worship Vehumet.
>Vehumet is extremely pleased with you.
>You are full.

> Inventory:

Picked up stuff from my Lair stash for display purposes. I've also
found the Mines, but haven't gone very deep. Currently short of
digging and free teleport, so need to be careful on these branches.

>Hand weapons
>+a - an uncursed runed quarterstaff of protection (weapon)

Early find. Nice.

> b - an uncursed orcish scimitar
> o - the uncursed hammer "Umyvegypeg P"
> It emits flame when wielded, causing extra injury to most foes and up to
> double damage against particularly susceptible opponents.
> v - an uncursed scimitar of freezing
> W - the uncursed short sword of Slime
> It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.
> It insulates you from electricity.
> It lets you blink.

That blinky power makes Slime look like a potential keeper.

>Armour
>+u - a +1 robe of magic resistance (worn)
>+x - a +1 pair of gloves (worn)
>+F - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
>+H - a +0 elven cloak (worn)
>Magical devices
> e - a wand of paralysis
> f - a wand of paralysis
> w - a wand of cold
> z - a wand of polymorph other
> D - a wand of confusion
> Z - a wand of slowing
>Comestibles
> t - 2 pears
> O - a meat ration

Plenty more food in my stash, plus I have "gourmand. Just need poison
resist and I'll totally be cleaning the floors

>Scrolls
> d - a scroll labeled NOWUXANYD
> j - 2 scrolls of teleportation
> s - 2 scrolls labeled IK F JIDARISOK
> B - a scroll of acquirement

The first one got me the staff of energy -- not what I was hoping for.
Should I save this one for later or use it now? What should I ask for?

> C - a scroll labeled TUN S KE
> E - 2 scrolls labeled LEJIHIMICOMO
> N - a scroll labeled INOCOXI
> P - a scroll labeled YGOGICHOD
>Jewellery
>+h - a ring of levitation (right hand)
> i - a ring of sustain abilities
> l - an amulet of resist corrosion
>+A - an amulet of the gourmand (around neck)
>+Q - a +3 ring of evasion (left hand)
> R - a ring of life protection
>Potions
> k - a potion of speed
> q - an orange potion
> r - 3 potions of heal wounds
> J - a potion of healing
> L - a glowing brown potion
> S - a sedimented white potion
> U - a potion of invisibility
> V - a potion of levitation
>Books
> c - a book of Conjurations
> g - a book of Minor Magic
> m - a book of Flames
> n - a Young Poisoner's Handbook
> G - a book of Party Tricks

Any spells you'd recommend I pick up out of this collection. It's the
ice/air Conjurations, btw. That's how I got Throw Frost.

>Magical staves
> p - a staff of poison
> y - a staff of energy
>
>
> You have 2 experience left.
>
> Skills:
> - Level 1 Short Blades
> - Level 1 Long Blades
> - Level 1 Staves
> + Level 6 Dodging
> - Level 3 Stealth
> + Level 14 Spellcasting

Left everything but Dodging and Spellcasting off until after clvl 10.

> + Level 10 Conjurations
> + Level 1 Summonings
> + Level 9 Fire Magic
> + Level 1 Evocations
>
>
>You have 22 spell levels left.
>You know the following spells:
>
> Your Spells Type Success Level
> b - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Great 5
> f - Flame Tongue Fire/Conjuration Excellent 1
> m - Summon Small Mammals Summoning Great 1

To build summoning.

> s - Sticky Flame Fire/Conjuration Great 4
> t - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 2
> T - Throw Frost Ice/Conjuration Great 2

> #...............'
> #....############
> ###....# #
> #))....# #
> ##)...## #
> #)...###### #
> #)........# #
> #<[.......# #
> #@........#
> #.........#
> #?!%[.)...#
> ###########

I spread out my stash by item type.

> Vanquished Creatures
>The ghost of Dan the Cleaver, an experienced MD Hu (Lair:1)
>Erolcha (D:10)

She went down in two shots, never did anything.

>The ghost of Dan the Shooter, an average MD Hu (D:9)
>The ghost of Dan the Skirmisher, an average Mi CK (D:5)
>4 giant goldfish (D:11)
>The ghost of Dan the Martial Artist, an average SE Tm (D:4)
>7 killer bees
>A big fish (D:11)
>5 electrical eels (D:11)

There's a fish pond in D:11. It's fun meeting those eels when you can
one-shot them. Been clearing out some of my ghosts, too, as you can
see.

Those bees were scary.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

More about : crawl yacd defe

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:48:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

All I can think is to make sure there isn't a source of poison
resistance in a store somewhere. If nothing else, you could possibly
buy some extra ?teleport to help against getting stuck somewhere in the
Mines.

As for the acquirement, I guess I'd go with staves again as that's the
most likely to turn up something you'd want. Jewelry is a possibility
in hopes of getting a ring of teleportation or poison resistance.
You're at the point when staves start showing up. I seem to see them in
the Lair/ Swamp/ Hives fairly often. Seeing as you don't have poison
resistance the Mines are the way to go IMO. The mines probably won't
have any items you'll want other than maybe robes and gold but you
could get lucky with a shop there. Finish out the Lair if you haven't
and that = levitation will help out in the Swamp. If you score swamp
dragon hide you could use the armor in the Hive I guess.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:34:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

On 31 May 2005 17:48:10 -0700, smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

>All I can think is to make sure there isn't a source of poison
>resistance in a store somewhere.

Store? There are *stores*?!? Seriously, D:11, a couple of levels of
Lair, a level of Mines, and no stores yet. Playing a little more, I
did find a General Store. Anyway, nothing to spend money on yet,
except maybe a wand of disintegration for digging insurance.

>If nothing else, you could possibly
>buy some extra ?teleport to help against getting stuck somewhere in the
>Mines.

No.

>As for the acquirement, I guess I'd go with staves again as that's the
>most likely to turn up something you'd want. Jewelry is a possibility
>in hopes of getting a ring of teleportation or poison resistance.
>You're at the point when staves start showing up. I seem to see them in
>the Lair/ Swamp/ Hives fairly often. Seeing as you don't have poison
>resistance the Mines are the way to go IMO. The mines probably won't
>have any items you'll want other than maybe robes and gold but you
>could get lucky with a shop there. Finish out the Lair if you haven't
>and that = levitation will help out in the Swamp. If you score swamp
>dragon hide you could use the armor in the Hive I guess.

I'd probably survive longer in the Hive than the Swamp without poison
resistance. At least bees can be taken down fast with fire. Confusion
in the Swamp would be very, very dangerous given that I'm playing a
glass figurine... I mean, Deep Elf. Those guys can't afford to lose
their kill-them-before-they-can-close concentration or they die.
Fatally. I had a really good DEFE going last week and played too late
into the evening, forgot I'd fled a firedrake down one set of stairs
in the Lair, got jumped by Drake and his buddies, and ended up as
lizard lunch. So, I need to assure than neither I nor my avatar get
confused this time. I think I'll wait on the scroll a bit and see what
turns up. A Vehumetite (Vehumetian? Vehumetan?) may want to Acquire a
book if the supply prove thin, too.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Related resources
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:55:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> Advice, comments, or random babble appreciated.

DE Conjurers (and FE's are really just thinly disguised conjurers) were
my first love in Crawl, so hopefully I'll remember something from all
those YASD's that can help you ;-)

>>Dungeon Crawl 400b26e069tf(Windows/Tile) character file.
>>[Last build Mar 13 2005]

You're a tile lover too, I see. My relationship to it is
green-eggs-and-ham -- about a month ago I moved to the "I do like them,
Sam I Am" phase.

>>Dan the Thaumaturge

Deep Elves are serious beings with no time for silly names. "I'm Dan.
Now die. BOOM!"

>>Race : Deep Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
>>Class : Fire ElementalistRes.Cold : . . . Warding : .
>>Worship : Vehumet Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
>> Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
>>Level 10 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : +

It's awfully convenient to wear the AotG nonstop, but once you get
something less pitiful than AoRC, I'd swap it in and use p, r, P, and/or
R to make it easy to swap in the AotG for eating only. For now just wear
it of course.

>>Spls.Left 22 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .

That's an awful lot of free spell levels, even for a deep elf. I realize
without Sif Muna/Selective Amnesia it can be worrying to take on new
spells, but my hunch is either you've had awful book luck, or you're
being overcautious here.

[remainder of dump header]

> Not too shabby. And I've got a little cold now, so I can deal with
> imps -- I really hate those guys when I'm playing a FE

/me imagines RDH wheezing and sneezing sniffles of death onto the imps
on the screen...


> Picked up stuff from my Lair stash for display purposes. I've also
> found the Mines, but haven't gone very deep.

I'd save them until after you have a \oConjuration, for safety's sake.

>>b - an uncursed orcish scimitar
>>v - an uncursed scimitar of freezing

While I've found that even Deep Elves can play as reavers, it's hard to
play a reaver without good support magic, and the fire school is just
damage, damage, damage. What I'm saying in the background is: I
perfectly understand the temptation behind those scimitars, but it's
probably not worth it (except as an imp stopgap, but that need will
probably dissipate soon if it hasn't already... I need to read on).

>>o - the uncursed hammer "Umyvegypeg P"
>> It emits flame when wielded, causing extra injury to most foes and up to
>> double damage against particularly susceptible opponents.

Ditch; consumes valuable brain cells.

>>W - the uncursed short sword of Slime
>> It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.
>> It insulates you from electricity.
>> It lets you blink.
>
> That blinky power makes Slime look like a potential keeper.

I'd keep it until you get the spell at least, but reliability is
make-or-break for blinking, and IIRC until the endgame, evoked blink
won't be as reliable as the blink spell backed by even the most
half-assed of attempts to pump translocations.

>>Magical devices
>>e - a wand of paralysis
>>f - a wand of paralysis
>>w - a wand of cold
>>z - a wand of polymorph other
>>D - a wand of confusion
>>Z - a wand of slowing

Just for display, I hope. :-) As full-time wands I'd take just cold and
one paralysis unless you travel light otherwise, in which case I'd take
both. Paralysis is the strongest resistable wand, the other ones just
add insult to the injury of their being resistable. ID that /oCold for
charges; in a "0 MP" emergency, you can't afford to waste a turn hearing
it go "click!".

>>Comestibles
>>t - 2 pears
>>O - a meat ration
>
>
> Plenty more food in my stash, plus I have "gourmand. Just need poison
> resist and I'll totally be cleaning the floors

I wouldn't sweat the poison resistance too much (if you are at all). In
all but the most dangerous areas, DE conjurerlikes spend hardly any food
due to the discounts from their spellcasting and INT. If you're in the
mood to do the Pits but troubled by the lack of food, just keep a bit of
the surrounding part of the Lair uncleared as a life-sized lunchbox.

Also keep in mind that for eating purposes, even a "ridiculous" ResPois
source is often OK. I've even carried things like splint mails solely
for the eating-resist.

>>B - a scroll of acquirement
>
> The first one got me the staff of energy -- not what I was hoping for.
> Should I save this one for later or use it now? What should I ask for?

1. Pump conjurations at the expense of spellcasting until it surpasses
spellcasting
2. Read scroll of acquirement, asking for "staves"
3. ????
4. Profit!

Discounting a fluke (these happen, but the odds are against them),
you'll get \oConjuration, and your main attack form will from one turn
to the next get an insane boost to its power.

IIRC \oEnergy was a candidate for your pick due to your Spellcasting
being your highest spell skill.

>>C - a scroll labeled TUN S KE
>>E - 2 scrolls labeled LEJIHIMICOMO
>>N - a scroll labeled INOCOXI
>>P - a scroll labeled YGOGICHOD

Go ahead and read-ID these after setting up good conditions (something
for Fear, something for Remove Curse, something for Detect Curse,
something for the weapon-related stuff, etc). So you'll lose them. Yeah.
You'll find more. Knowledge is power.

>>Jewellery
>>+h - a ring of levitation (right hand)
>>i - a ring of sustain abilities

I'd take even SA over levitation, but that's mostly because I always
forget to use levitation. :-)

>>Potions
>>k - a potion of speed
>>q - an orange potion
>>r - 3 potions of heal wounds
>>J - a potion of healing
>>L - a glowing brown potion
>>S - a sedimented white potion
>>U - a potion of invisibility
>>V - a potion of levitation

Same as scrolls above. But then ISTR you're more conservative on all
this. One last advertisement, though: knowledge is power. (Shades of
Schoolhouse Rock...)

>>Books
>>c - a book of Conjurations
>>g - a book of Minor Magic
>>m - a book of Flames
>>n - a Young Poisoner's Handbook
>>G - a book of Party Tricks
>
> Any spells you'd recommend I pick up out of this collection. It's the
> ice/air Conjurations, btw. That's how I got Throw Frost.

Ice/Air -- Mephitic Cloud -- The poor man's Repel Missiles.

Minor Magic -- can't say without knowing which one it is. Most of the
minor magic books are better for fighter/mages or summoners than
conjurerlikes, really, though if it happens to have Repel Missiles, grab
that like it's Thursday in a Communist-era Czechoslovak bookstore. Or
something. Also, most books of Minor Magic have Magic Dart, which is
good for monsters with low HP but high evasion and nasty attacks (e.g.
killer bees). Course it's a wasted spell level later on, but 1 level is
a small sacrifice.

Flames -- You skipped Conjure Flame, probably thinking "that's three
spell levels. What if it goes out of style later on?" But it stops a "1
more turn to approach, 1 turn to kill" melee monster in its tracks. Yes,
yes, you can also blink to escape. Blinking involves uncertainty.
Conjure Flames (once you can remember who does and doesn't stop for it)
does not involve uncertainty. Eventually it will go out of style. It
will still have been worth it IMO.

Poisoner's -- Poison magic is a conjurer's Darts skill -- lots of power
now, wasted XP later. Base your decision on how well you feel you're
getting along without it.

Party Tricks -- Great! Unlike Minor Magic, there's only one version.
This book has Blink. Take Blink.

>>Magical staves
>>p - a staff of poison
Should help with mephitic cloud if it's unreliable at first.

[...]

>> Vanquished Creatures
>>The ghost of Dan the Cleaver, an experienced MD Hu (Lair:1)
>>The ghost of Dan the Shooter, an average MD Hu (D:9)
>>The ghost of Dan the Skirmisher, an average Mi CK (D:5)
>>The ghost of Dan the Martial Artist, an average SE Tm (D:4)

Remember, folks, technology is neutral! (I have dozens of ghosts with
the same names since taking up Tilecrawl as well.)

Erik
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:57:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

> and that = levitation will help out in the Swamp. If you score swamp
> dragon hide you could use the armor in the Hive I guess.

Fighters and fighter-mages have AC. Conjurers have spell reliability.
Until he's Perfect or Excellent at his key spells, even swamp dragon
armour is a bad idea. (And Deep Elves are bad at the skill to boot, and
the heavy armour will reduce the benefit of his Dodging).

Erik
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:25:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:55:58 +0200, Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz>
wrote:

>R. Dan Henry wrote:
>> Advice, comments, or random babble appreciated.
>
>DE Conjurers (and FE's are really just thinly disguised conjurers) were
>my first love in Crawl, so hopefully I'll remember something from all
>those YASD's that can help you ;-)

I like the Sticky Flame. Except when I'm on the receiving end (see
below).

>>>Dungeon Crawl 400b26e069tf(Windows/Tile) character file.
>>>[Last build Mar 13 2005]
>
>You're a tile lover too, I see. My relationship to it is
>green-eggs-and-ham -- about a month ago I moved to the "I do like them,
>Sam I Am" phase.

Actually, I'm an ASCII man, but Tile Crawl has gameplay improvements
and actually makes use of the tiles to carry additional information.
The only drawback is that it just doesn't look as good as ASCII.
Anyway, I've got ASCII Crawl on one computer, Tile Crawl on the other.

>>>Dan the Thaumaturge
>
>Deep Elves are serious beings with no time for silly names. "I'm Dan.
>Now die. BOOM!"

I was so powerful, nothing could stop me but myself! (See below.)

>>>Race : Deep Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
>>>Class : Fire ElementalistRes.Cold : . . . Warding : .
>>>Worship : Vehumet Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
>>> Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
>>>Level 10 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : +
>
>It's awfully convenient to wear the AotG nonstop, but once you get
>something less pitiful than AoRC, I'd swap it in and use p, r, P, and/or
>R to make it easy to swap in the AotG for eating only. For now just wear
>it of course.

Well, yes, I know, but until I actually have a reason to switch, that
convenience is great.

>>>Spls.Left 22 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
>
>That's an awful lot of free spell levels, even for a deep elf. I realize
>without Sif Muna/Selective Amnesia it can be worrying to take on new
>spells, but my hunch is either you've had awful book luck, or you're
>being overcautious here.

Well, I could have picked up some more useful spells before I died,
but I don't think anything that would have saved me.

>> Picked up stuff from my Lair stash for display purposes. I've also
>> found the Mines, but haven't gone very deep.
>
>I'd save them until after you have a \oConjuration, for safety's sake.

I cleared the Mines, actually. Didn't touch the Halls, decided to do
more Lair...

>>>o - the uncursed hammer "Umyvegypeg P"
>>> It emits flame when wielded, causing extra injury to most foes and up to
>>> double damage against particularly susceptible opponents.
>
>Ditch; consumes valuable brain cells.

Oh, I just picked it up to show what an unpronounceable piece of junk
I'd found.

>> Plenty more food in my stash, plus I have "gourmand. Just need poison
>> resist and I'll totally be cleaning the floors
>
>I wouldn't sweat the poison resistance too much (if you are at all).

It would have allowed me to finish off the third section of Lair 1,
with a bee hive. I took out most of them anyway, with a few retreats,
but with the queen hovering by the stairs, I decided to wait for
poison resist to go back. But no, food really wasn't a problem.

>>>B - a scroll of acquirement
>>
>> The first one got me the staff of energy -- not what I was hoping for.
>> Should I save this one for later or use it now? What should I ask for?
>
>1. Pump conjurations at the expense of spellcasting until it surpasses
>spellcasting
>2. Read scroll of acquirement, asking for "staves"
>3. ????
>4. Profit!
>
>Discounting a fluke (these happen, but the odds are against them),
>you'll get \oConjuration, and your main attack form will from one turn
>to the next get an insane boost to its power.
>
>IIRC \oEnergy was a candidate for your pick due to your Spellcasting
>being your highest spell skill.

Ah, next time I will wait to ask for a staff until after Spellcasting
is not number one.

>>>Jewellery
>>>+h - a ring of levitation (right hand)
>>>i - a ring of sustain abilities
>
>I'd take even SA over levitation, but that's mostly because I always
>forget to use levitation. :-)

I don't. "You can't get up the stairs, fat boy." or whatever the
message is, serves as a useful reminder.

>>>Potions
>>>k - a potion of speed
>>>q - an orange potion
>>>r - 3 potions of heal wounds
>>>J - a potion of healing
>>>L - a glowing brown potion
>>>S - a sedimented white potion
>>>U - a potion of invisibility
>>>V - a potion of levitation
>
>Same as scrolls above. But then ISTR you're more conservative on all
>this. One last advertisement, though: knowledge is power. (Shades of
>Schoolhouse Rock...)

Scroll ID on the potions got mutation and cure mutation with one
scroll and so they became stash... and thus never used. Oh, and the
scrolls were boring. I do remember taking out one ghost because I
didn't think that big stack would be immolations and I was just
read-testing and got "lucky".

>Ice/Air -- Mephitic Cloud -- The poor man's Repel Missiles.

I liked to kill the spell-flingers in the Mines instead of watching
them wander around. Bolt of fire, even unboosted, is a heck of a
weapon. And with Vehumet, running out of MP was not a problem, and
with "gourmand, neither was food.

>Flames -- You skipped Conjure Flame, probably thinking "that's three
>spell levels. What if it goes out of style later on?" But it stops a "1
>more turn to approach, 1 turn to kill" melee monster in its tracks.

I really should learn to use Conjure Flame with my FEs. Especially one
who picks up some Summoning. (I had the summon mammals/summon dogs
book -- I like summoning dogs, but elementals would have been good,
too, and I had access to Summon Elemental before I died.)

>Poisoner's -- Poison magic is a conjurer's Darts skill -- lots of power
>now, wasted XP later. Base your decision on how well you feel you're
>getting along without it.

The stuff I couldn't stop with fire wasn't going to stop for poison.

>Party Tricks -- Great! Unlike Minor Magic, there's only one version.
>This book has Blink. Take Blink.

Yeah, I should have taken blink.

>>> Vanquished Creatures
>>>The ghost of Dan the Cleaver, an experienced MD Hu (Lair:1)
>>>The ghost of Dan the Shooter, an average MD Hu (D:9)
>>>The ghost of Dan the Skirmisher, an average Mi CK (D:5)
>>>The ghost of Dan the Martial Artist, an average SE Tm (D:4)
>
>Remember, folks, technology is neutral! (I have dozens of ghosts with
>the same names since taking up Tilecrawl as well.)

Sadly, this Dan met the last Dan to make it deep into the Lair (the
one that forgot he was supposed to be avoiding a firedrake down a
certain set of stairs). He was fire resistant. I wasn't. I wasted two
shots before noticing. There was no place to dive for cover. If I'd
immediately realized I was in over my head, I could have survived. But
I didn't. I hate Sticky Flame when I'm on the receiving end.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:25:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:57:55 +0200, Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz>
wrote:

>smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> and that = levitation will help out in the Swamp. If you score swamp
>> dragon hide you could use the armor in the Hive I guess.
>
>Fighters and fighter-mages have AC. Conjurers have spell reliability.
>Until he's Perfect or Excellent at his key spells, even swamp dragon
>armour is a bad idea. (And Deep Elves are bad at the skill to boot, and
>the heavy armour will reduce the benefit of his Dodging).

Actually, I could cast reliably in heavy armor, and with a great big
weapon. Not that this made it the thing to do, but I was surprised at
how little difference it actually made when I experimented. If I'd
found a really great artifact heavy armor, or a poison resist heavy
armor had shown up I could use for the Swamp, it would have been a
option. (With, yes, trade off.)

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
!