Cooling systems in the future.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
(There were some posts about cooling units getting bigger etc. in the future, but I couldn't find them so i'm starting a new thread)

Cooling systems in the future will be far more sophisticated than the current generation hsf, water coolers, peltiers etc.

The link below describes a new microcooler that consists of cooling units less than a twentieth of a millimetre across. These can be built into the cpu in all the hotspots, making the whole process far more efficient.

So, there will no longer be any requirements for external heatsink units. Now, that would be cool! (mind the pun) ;-)

oops! I forgot to include the link! here we go:

<A HREF="http://www.nature.com/nsu/010322/010322-1.html" target="_new">http://www.nature.com/nsu/010322/010322-1.html</A>

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 03/18/01 11:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

it doesnt really matter HOW cool those chips get, any overclocker worth is salt is still gonna slap a FOP38 on it, or whatever we have in the future, and really fire that sucker up. i think the secret still lies in manufacturing purer silicon wafers, but with contamination levels below 1 part per trillion right now, its gonna be pretty hard to do any better...

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.

G

They look promising!!!

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
griz, the article says it isnt much now but improvements will make it a much better technology. and besides, dont tell me you wouldnt want a quick 5-7 deg. improvement without doing anything special.

My name is Mud.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Eh, there are three possabilities for the future of computers that are completely missed though.

1) Smaller etching:
With smaller etching, the CPU passes around less electricity, meaning less heat is generated. With all of the nanotechnology breakthroughs it isn't too hard to concieve of a chip in the next ten years that will be etched so small that it needs no external heat sink.

2) Optical CPUs:
CPUs that use light instead of electricity have the potential to be cooler runners than our electrical CPUs. They'll also be considerably faster and have a wider range of data depth than just a bit.

3) Quantum CPUs:
Need I say more? An atomic CPU is not only small and holds an infinitely more interesting calculation methodology, but it's also not a heat monger. But then, considering how cool Quantum computers have to be kept at the moment, this may not soon enough reach effective room temperature operating levels.

Me? I'm voting for nanotechnology. I want a human-thermal powered 10GHz x86 watch with 2TB non-volatile RAM and a direct neural interface.

Heck, take it out of the watch case and insert it directly into my brain. That way it'll have a much shorter bus and I don't have to worry about accidentally leaving it on my dresser at home.

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Switch on the tv to startrek!

nah! only kidding!

I read about the light option somewhere. It seems pretty cool, but I think its over 10 years away.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It all sounds far off, but it isn't. We already could be planting microchips into people that run off of their own thermal energy. Admittedly, tapping directly into the brain is a little farther off, but with robotics enhancing surgery by making the surgeon's 'hands' steadier, it might not be all that far off.

And the optical computers are already being built. It's just that they are room sized. Once we find excellent methods of micro-luminescence with varying accurate frequencies of light, optical chips will become reality for the home PC. It may be more than five years, but ten years is achievable for the first generation optical PCs.

And think, no more frying boards/chips/cards with static electricity once they're optical. :)

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Exactly. That's nanotechnology. It's not nearly as far off as people think, and it's going to rock the PC world.

What we once had to fit into a computer case, we'll be able to fit into a wrist watch.

And the mobile versions will be REALLY tiny.

Think of the processing power these nanotech systems would have if they were the size of today's systems.

Yikes!

The only flaw I can see with them is a severe sensitivity to magnetic fields and static electricity. So they'll have to be shielded.

But hey, the circuitry will be so small we can run these chips off of AAA batteries.