IR beam worked with Win2k but fails on WinXP

February 6, 2005 5:45:09 PM

I used to be able to beam (not HotSync, but beam using IRFTP) files
(mostly text files <-> memopad) either way between my Palm (Handspring
Visor Platinum) and my Windows 2000 laptop. I got a new laptop with
Windows XP Professional on it and now that doesn't work any more.

I can still HotSync between my Palm and my new laptop but it doesn't
show the palm as a 'nearby computer' as it used to under Win2K. I can
send a file (memopad item) from the Palm to the laptop in the usual way
(open the memo on the palm and beam it). On the laptop it shows the
IRFTP icon in the task tray and asks me if I want to receive the file.

I've checked and the workstation service is running per the MS KB
article. I also have the IR monitor service running. If another
laptop comes in range, I get the IR notification icon in the tray and I
can transfer files either way with the other laptop.

I've also observed the IR port on the laptop with night-vision gear and
confirmed that it is beaconing as you would expect.

Beam receive is enabled on the Palm. I can successfuly IR HotSync
between these two devices (Palm and laptop) so I know all the IR
hardware is working at some level. I also get the IR icon on the task
tray during HotSync on when I beam from the Palm to the laptop.

Any thoughts on why my Palm is not being seen as a 'nearby computer' on
the WinXP laptop?

Thanks,

- James
February 7, 2005 3:14:02 AM

On 6 Feb 2005 14:45:09 -0800, James wrote:

> I've checked and the workstation service is running per the MS KB
> article. I also have the IR monitor service running. If another
> laptop comes in range, I get the IR notification icon in the tray and I
> can transfer files either way with the other laptop.
>
> I've also observed the IR port on the laptop with night-vision gear and
> confirmed that it is beaconing as you would expect.
>
> Beam receive is enabled on the Palm. I can successfuly IR HotSync
> between these two devices (Palm and laptop) so I know all the IR
> hardware is working at some level. I also get the IR icon on the task
> tray during HotSync on when I beam from the Palm to the laptop.
>
> Any thoughts on why my Palm is not being seen as a 'nearby computer' on
> the WinXP laptop?

Just a guess, but it may be that the workstation service on your
new XP laptop is more sophisticated and offers more features, but
has been designed to ignore IR traffic that doesn't adhere to newer
MS specific protocols, as opposed to whatever IR lingo Palm (and
Handspring) devices speak. Asking in this newsgroup might be good
if someone can show that I'm wrong, because their XP laptop uses IR
to communicate with Palms. Or you could try asking in some
appropriate Windows or Windows developer newsgroup. There's one
knowledgeable MicroSoftee (employee or developer or . . .) that pops
in from time to time that may have an IR answer or two.
February 7, 2005 11:35:36 AM

In my case it is the outbound traffic from the laptop that doesn't
work. If I go into the Palm and beam a memopad entry out, it works
fine. What it doesn't do correctly is locate the 'nearby computer'
when the Palm is on but not specifically beaming something to the
laptop.

I hope that someone can help with this. Or perhaps there is someone
out there that has been successful doing this on their machine who can
at least tell me it is possible under XP.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 11:53:14 PM

James wrote:
> In my case it is the outbound traffic from the laptop that doesn't
> work. If I go into the Palm and beam a memopad entry out, it works
> fine. What it doesn't do correctly is locate the 'nearby computer'
> when the Palm is on but not specifically beaming something to the
> laptop.
>
> I hope that someone can help with this. Or perhaps there is someone
> out there that has been successful doing this on their machine who can
> at least tell me it is possible under XP.

I'm not an IRDA guru, but I can say that I was successfully using IR
between my Zire (original) and my old Thinkpad A31 with XP (both before
and after SP2, for whatever that may be worth). (My new Thinkpad G41
doesn't have IRDA, but I only just got that last week.)

---
John W. Kennedy
"The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have
always objected to being governed at all."
-- G. K. Chesterton. "The Man Who Was Thursday"
!