Cant see XP machine but can ping....

paw17

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Hello,
After searching through forums and trying different ideas I am stuck..
There are 3 computers on my network:
1:WinXP Pro
2:Win 2k
3:Win 7

1 can see 2 & 3
2 can see 1 & 3
3 can only see 2

3 does not have homegroup setup and has been set as a home network and a work network.
the workgroup name is the same on all 3 machines and file sharing is turned for all 3

I can ping 1 from 3, 1 shows up as a media device on 3 and the desktop slideshow on 3 is pullimg images from 1.

I just cannot get 1 to show up in the computers section on 3.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks
Ian

My first thought when I read posts liek yours is timing. When you change a setting, do you expect to see the result straight away and if you don't, do you then change another setting just in case? In any Windows networking, you need to wait a while for the Computer Browser Service to cut in and wander round looking for new boxes that joined the network since it last looked ten minutes earlier. With Windows 7 involved, that ten minutes is now more like twenty.

Get the settings the way you want them - ping to test if you like but that doesn't mean the computers will all show up in the View Workgroup Computers form. Then, make a cup of coffee and wait for a while before deciding it hasn't worked but post back if it still fails.
[/#000ff]

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Subnet mask maybe??? ensure they're all on the same IP subnet (i.e. 192.168.1.*) and then make sure the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

I had a similar prob a few years ago when one PC was 192.168.0.2 and another was 192.168.1.3 and the subnet on both was 255.255.255.0 so they couldnt see each other but one other PC was on the 192.168.1.* subnet and had a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 so it could see both.

paw17

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Well so far so good, the ip config was setup as automatic on all 2 machines. I changed the settings to give the machines dedicated ip's outside of the dhcp range and every pc can see and access the others.
Will let you know...

paw17

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Worked for a couple of days....
We have reverted back to my original post, after restarting both machines:

1 can see 2 & 3
2 can see 1 & 3
3 can only see 2

Any other thoughts???
It must be something to do with the restart but can't understand what...

G

Ever get an answer?

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/xp-machines-not-acting-same-285104.html#post1213858
I had the same issue but with xp...is it a Node thing? Run CMD ipconfig /all and see what "node type" you have. I changed mine and now can share with win 7 machine from both xp machines but cannot get the win 7 machine to see the xp machines although they ping. It is consistant now everytime I start the machines.

Ever get an answer?

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/xp-machines-not-acting-same-285104.html#post1213858
I had the same issue but with xp...is it a Node thing? Run CMD ipconfig /all and see what "node type" you have. I changed mine and now can share with win 7 machine from both xp machines but cannot get the win 7 machine to see the xp machines although they ping. It is consistant now everytime I start the machines.

You need more patience networking Windows 7 than with XP because the Computer Browser Service only seems to go out and look around every twenty minute whereas XP's used to go on patrol every ten. The worst thing to do is change settings after a few minutes, believing it must be you who got it wrong. You probably didn't - Windows did so give it a while before deciding the share isn't going to work.

paw17

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks folks, I will check the node info.
I have figured this out so far:
If I restart the Win7 machine while the WinXP machine is on, everything is good.
If I restart the XP machine while the Win7 machine is still on then, the Win7 does not see the WinXP until the restart.
When I ping I use ip address, but it also pings with name as well.

paw17

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Ever get an answer?

Hello there,
I noticed on your other thread you have passwords turned off, I had much better luck when passwords were turned on.

TRENDING THREADS