[CRAWL] Healing spells?

Hi all,

Is there any healing spell for mages (not priest)?

Grazie/Merci/Danke/Arigatò

:)

--
Getix "Il Cromista", PPPPP (Pilota Portato Per Pericolose Pirlate), (21, 90,
MI)

Getix wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any healing spell for mages (not priest)?
>
> Grazie/Merci/Danke/Arigatò
>
> :)

There are no special healing *spells* for priests, actually -- just
healing *invocations* ("god magic"). Mages are perfectly welcome to take
on gods with healing powers.

But -- can you heal yourself with a spell? Well, Berserk Rage will heal
you up when you cast it, but it has a few side effects. ;-) Regeneration
speeds your rate of healing. Vampiric Draining will heal you as it harms
your enemies (but you have to get them beside you to use it on them).
And more generally, if you're really interested in healing from magic,
the way to go is necromancy -- there are several other healing or
healing-like effects that involve this school.

Erik

Lars Kecke wrote:
> Getix wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there any healing spell for mages (not priest)?
>

> There should be a book of healing (spelltype holy) which roughly
> duplicates Ely's invocations. It has rarity 100, so it shouldn't be
> generated. A bit of googling shows that it has been found at least once
> in the wild (in 2001).
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.misc/msg/0b9dcc7b326d9e49
>

> Lars

Though it's hard to see past all the spaghetti, I couldn't find in
dungeon.cc any loophole past which a rarity-100 book could be generated.
Reading the thread to which you linked shows Book-of-Healing
generation has been broken twice before... but in the years since b26
was released, I suspect someone would have randomly generated one by now
if there were some new flaw.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> Though it's hard to see past all the spaghetti, I couldn't find in
> dungeon.cc any loophole past which a rarity-100 book could be generated.
> Reading the thread to which you linked shows Book-of-Healing generation
> has been broken twice before... but in the years since b26 was released,
> I suspect someone would have randomly generated one by now if there were
> some new flaw.

What is the point in having an item in the game whose generation is
impossible in the absence of a bug?

Twisted One wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>
>> Though it's hard to see past all the spaghetti, I couldn't find in
>> dungeon.cc any loophole past which a rarity-100 book could be
>> generated. Reading the thread to which you linked shows
>> Book-of-Healing generation has been broken twice before... but in the
>> years since b26 was released, I suspect someone would have randomly
>> generated one by now if there were some new flaw.
>

> What is the point in having an item in the game whose generation is
> impossible in the absence of a bug?

A couple of possibilities cross my mind --
-- fear of breaking something when removing it; the Crawl code is a bit
of a house of cards (though less so in recent releases)
-- uncertainty as to whether it will never go back in

On a totally unrelated note: wasn't is something like 4 or 5 in the
morning where you live when you started posting today? You woke up
early, never went to sleep, or what? I'm intrigued.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> On a totally unrelated note: wasn't is something like 4 or 5 in the
> morning where you live when you started posting today? You woke up
> early, never went to sleep, or what? I'm intrigued.

I post at all hours of the day and night. I post telepathically in my
sleep. ;)

Erik Piper wrote:
>> I post at all hours of the day and night. I post telepathically in my
>> sleep. ;)
>
> Does this apply to Angband too? And are you perhaps a mutant copy of the
> Borg that's trying to acquire data points for a fuzzy-logic model of
> humans?

Now now. Don't be silly. An AI or ETI, or even the Internet
spontaneously achieved sentience, might be reasonably plausible, but a
*telepathic* one?

:)

blah blah blah Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:20:08 -0400, Twisted One
<twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> blah blah:

>Now now. Don't be silly. An AI or ETI, or even the Internet
>spontaneously achieved sentience, might be reasonably plausible, but a
>*telepathic* one?

It's "telepathetic" Beavis :)

fartknocker wrote:
> blah blah blah Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:20:08 -0400, Twisted One
> <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> blah blah:
>
>>Now now. Don't be silly. An AI or ETI, or even the Internet
>>spontaneously achieved sentience, might be reasonably plausible, but a
>>*telepathic* one?
>
> It's "telepathetic" Beavis :)

And another attempt to guess my name gets it woefully wrong.

blah blah blah Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:13:18 -0400, Twisted One
<twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> blah blah:

>And another attempt to guess my name gets it woefully wrong.

Chill. Was watching some B&B videos. I gave you the chance to call me a
childish but well-fitting name *for free*, the voucher has expired now.

fartknocker wrote:
> Chill. Was watching some B&B videos. I gave you the chance to call me a
> childish but well-fitting name *for free*, the voucher has expired now.

B&B?

Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker writes:
> In article <d7p62e$kes$3@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> wrote:
> >It's too bad Elyvilon doesn't punish people for posting curt and
> >borderline-churlish usenet posts unprovoked -- while praying or not. :)
>
> How many roguelikes are there where you have to worry about keeping on
> the good side of all of the deities, whether you're worshiping them or
> not? The cat thing in ADoM is the only one I can think of offhand...

Powder is the main one that comes to mind. All the gods have opinions
of you, and doing stuff they don't like will get them mad at you. Not
as much as when you worship them, but especially for the god that
doesn't like noise, it can add up. If they get mad enough, they will
do things like summoning monsters, cursing your equipment, etc. But
the gods that like you will sometimes protect you from angry gods, or
just provide boons, even if you don't worship them. The god
interaction is probably the best thing about Powder.

Twisted One wrote:
> fartknocker wrote:
>
>> Chill. Was watching some B&B videos. I gave you the chance to call me a
>> childish but well-fitting name *for free*, the voucher has expired now.
>

> B&B?

It's too bad Elyvilon doesn't punish people for posting curt and
borderline-churlish usenet posts unprovoked -- while praying or not. :)

Erik

In article <d7p62e$kes$3@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> wrote:
>It's too bad Elyvilon doesn't punish people for posting curt and
>borderline-churlish usenet posts unprovoked -- while praying or not. :)

How many roguelikes are there where you have to worry about keeping on
the good side of all of the deities, whether you're worshiping them or
not? The cat thing in ADoM is the only one I can think of offhand...

-Andrew ()

TRENDING THREADS