Why cant you put your tower in a freezer? Think ..

G

Think about it

it will be very cold and with the pc on which makes heat it will not freeze

i wouldn't put the power supply in there but i mean the board and tower yes

Think about it
Why can't it be done?

G

condensation

itll last about 30 seconds in there, unless you create a pure vacuum inside the freezer or fill the tubes will alcohol....and even then itd condensate when you opened the thing up

i think everybodys had this idea once, but no one does it, because of CONDENSATION.

if you have access to a vaccuum maker doohickey, (your local university probably has one), then go for it :)

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.

G

Arent the motherboard and baords covered with some kinda of sealer?

So any water at all will do damage huh?

G

No sealer, no need. That is why static electricity can damage the chips too.

G

no sealer indeed...since computers were dont built to be put in freezers. :)

thats why usually they recommend the ambient temps be about 5C at least...not because the computer cant work in temps colder than that, but because of evil Mr Condensation and his nasty sidekick, Mr Tooth Decay...wait...no, thats from something else...

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i know what you mean. my waterblock is sweating like crazy and i have to tape towels to it. (LOL)

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

It would be a bit of a waste to put a nice new/hot computer in a freezer... It would be pretty good, but it'd only be possible if you could TOTALLY insulate every part, so that water wouldn't affect it..
Of course you couldn't do this, but if you're that obsessed with it being cool, but don't you spend some cash and get a Vapochill system?!

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
If you have an available Air conditioning duct near by route some air to one of your case fans. 3 inch hose or larger with some make do fittings from the hardware store would be easy. Just an idea which I am planning to do shortly. The benefits seem to good to pass up. How cold is the air coming from an A/C duct? I believe it is around 8F colder if not more.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this is how I'm cooling my super duper duron 750 @ 2GHz.(it's pretty fast in all my office apps!, note pad rips!!!)

I've built a special rig and turned my small fridge into a super cooling case that would put the vapochill to shame, it also doubles as my oven! (yeah!)

why ask here? this is a well know tech tip, you should definitely try it. I believe your standard fridge will work.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

G

as usual we're having a discussion about a topic, and amdmeltdown has to coem along and be a fricken retard.

hey! look at me everybody! i dont have anything useful to say but i crave attention!! so i'll just be a dick!! yay!

fsck off

dhlucke

Polypheme
At least wusy and fugger can say something intelligent. What's your malfunction? Stop screwing with people. Some people might not understand that you are being a retard!

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i think just about everyone can see his lame attempt at humor. even my little cousin said he sucks.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There is another way to do it. Get a deep freezer. Drill some holes for cables. Put the system in. Put in a dry air filter. Splice in external power switches for the system and the dry air filter. Do an airtight seal on the whole freezer. Kick on the dry air filter. Wait a long while. Turn on the freezer. Wait another long while. Then turn on the system.

I had a friend do this with an old (early Celeron I beleive) system overclocked to Mz. Hellen Bak. I don't know much more on the specifics because at the time I wasn't in to overclocking. It was about five or so years ago...

But I do know that dry air filters are pretty easily available for scientific purposes because we have a number of them where I work for our nitrogen airstream cooling systems for X-ray crystalography.

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.

G

someone mentioned this post so I had to read it :) if your going to all that trouble, just buy a vapochill or something like that? freezer+sealed+vaccuum+holes+hassle>cost of vapochill

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

dhlucke

Polypheme
Hey, I just ran my computer in the freezer for an hour. Worked great. Didn't try overclocking though...

Oh wait....we had a rolling blackout.... :)

--so close

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

G

:) class

pat

Expert
Griz, for your waterblock, have you tried to insulate it with
urethane foam sold in spraycan in hardware store?

Instead of putting the whole system in freezer, try to drill
2 holes in the side of the freezerto pass hose and install a
heater radiator like those found in cars. Install a fan to
force cold air throught the radiator.

Put antifreeze instead of water and run it with a waterpump
from the freezer to the cpu's waterblock to get max cooling.

I dont know if it would work...just another good idea I just have.

->And this is...................ACTION!

G

I think it was on MaxiumPC's forum back in the summer some guy had a system he put in one of those small fridges. He put everything in there except the floppy drive I believe. Worked really good. The fridge was about $180 of plus the PS. Pretty darn cheap for a air-conditioned case. It was an intel processor and he had no problems with condensation...

"Yesterday's solutions are Today's problems...."