Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
That must hurt the people who were suckered into buying a P4. I expect they'll be madly protesting and flaming the benchmark in 5...4...3...2...

They should have at least waited for Northwood.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As usual JC try's to appease both his Intel and AMD audience. He concludes that if the P4 were less money he might buy it even though the benchmarks show the T-Bird being the clear victor.

No wonder AMD isn't rushing to get faster clock speeds out. I can't wait to see how the Palomino core does against the P4.

One troubling thing I noticed in this review was that even a 1.4GHz P4 with RDRAM 600 was able to outperform a 1.2 Athlon in 3DMARK 2001. If you run 3DMARK 2000 the Athlon handily beats all P4's. Obviously Intel's investment in Babco pays off here. It's sad that Intel has to resort to cheating to win.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nikko on 03/19/01 11:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know. I hope intel dump's the p4. And countinue to work on the 686. Heck maybe the Tualatin does well

My p3 broke :*( Well Tualatin is coming :*)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And I don't suppose SSE2 optimizations would have ANYTHING to do with 3DMARK 2001 performing better than 3DMARK 2000.

No, that could NEVER be the reason.

It HAS to be cheating.

Yeah.

And the AMD chips won't EVER see THEIR performance jump in the benchmark once THEY start putting SSE2 into THEIR chips.

No, never.

And on the teeny-tiny minisculey-minute chance that the AMD Hammer chips with SSE2 do see performance gains between the two versions of the benchmark, why, it would have to just because they're just SOOOOO much better designed. It'd have absolutely NOTHING to do with SSE2 support. And it most certainly could NEVER be cheating.

After all, only Intel cheats.

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
bwahahahahahaha! a pee4 peeing on a t-bird, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! lol

P4's will piss all over AMD now and 4ever, so you AMD pups better get used to it!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AMD could invest as well, if they wanted to. Nothing is stopping them from it.

And <b>SSE2 is a planned AMD optimization</b> too.

Enough said.

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't understand why people care about 3Dmark's scores, IMHO the are almost totally useless for evaluating gaming performance. 3Dmark is random number generator, you better get over it :) BTW in 3Dmark99 (if I remember right) CPU benchmark, K6-2/300 was way faster (e.g put out bigger random numbers) than P2/450 :)

BSOD: Intel's commercial made by M$ (blue men dancing in the blue room).

G

i dont see why we dont just use games for benchmarking purposes. you dont buy a computer to play 3dmark, you buy it to play SERIOUS SAM!!!...oh, i mean games in general ;)

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.

TRENDING THREADS