[Crawl] YADEFE

:Dungeon Crawl 400b26e069tf(Windows/Tile) character file.
:[Last build Mar 13 2005]

:Dan the Eclecticist
:
:Race : Deep Elf Res.Fire : + + . See Invis. : .
:Class : Fire ElementalistRes.Cold : x . . Warding : .
:Worship : Vehumet Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
: Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
:Level 13 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
:Exp 66359
:Next Level 67899 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
:Exp Needed 1540 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
:Spls.Left 20 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
:Gold 1326 Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .

Yes, YADEFE. This one's doing better than the last one, with less luck
as far as equipment goes, however. Did the Mines. Did pretty much the
Lair. I haven't fully explored the bottom thanks to a lava lake and
not wanted to try getting into it with creatures that live in lava. My
fiery rain of death seems unlikely to be very effective.

Pondering where to go next and how to prepare. Currently at Lair 1 to
arrange equipment before going on.

:HP : 52/ 52
:MP : 36/ 36 Weapon none
:Str : 7 Armour +3 elf robe
:Int : 25 Shield none
:Dex : 18 Helmet +0 helmet
:Armour Cl: 10 Cloak +0 cloak
:Evasion : 14 Gloves +2 pair of gloves
:Shield Cl: 0 Boots none
: Amulet amulet "Eqemiqafu"
:play time : 05:05:31 Ring ring of fire
:Turns : 32297 Ring +5 ring of intelligence

That play time is misleading. It's running now, for instance. Not a
useful stat, IMO.

:You are in the Lair.
:You worship Vehumet.
:Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
:You are overloaded with stuff.

For display purposes only.

:You are not hungry.

: Inventory:
:Hand weapons
: a - an uncursed hand crossbow

Found a second one, first was +0, so I'll test this one to see if it
is any better.

: b - an uncursed orcish dagger of electrocution
: e - a -1,+1 orcish short sword of speed
: f - a +1,+0 short sword of electrocution
: p - an uncursed runed bow of flame
: s - an uncursed short sword of freezing
: B - an uncursed long sword
: W - an uncursed orcish great sword
: X - the uncursed whip of Evisceration
: It affects your intelligence (+2).
: Z - an uncursed runed long sword of draining

Some nice knives, but nothing to make a Deep Elf think "Reaver". Still
I can beat up plants in style.

:Armour
:+q - a +2 pair of gloves (worn)
:+u - a +3 elven robe (worn)
:+w - a +0 cloak (worn)
: C - a +0 elven chain mail
:+D - a +0 helmet (worn)
: F - a +1 ring mail of cold resistance
: V - a +0 elven ring mail

Cold resistance would bring me up to normal vs. cold. And ring mail
wouldn't be too bad. Bolt of Fire would slip to Excellent, but Sticky
Flame is still prefect with it on.

:Magical devices
: h - a wand of lightning
: m - a wand of digging
: R - a wand of fireball

Have some teleport wands I'm saving if I make it to a no-scroll area.
Exhausted most of my wands I've found so far.

:Comestibles
: d - a meat ration
: Y - a beef jerky

Big pile sitting in cache.

:Scrolls
: P - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon III

Only scrolls I wanted to ask about. Any chance these could really be
useful to me? A few levels of Long Blades and an enchanted up great
sword would let me (turn off Long Blades) and beat some slightly less
wimpy than rats stuff up to train Fighting. I know, it's not my
strongest point, but it'd also train Evasions. Offense may be my best
defense, but it doesn't have to be my only one.

:Jewellery
:+c - a +5 ring of intelligence (left hand)
:+l - the amulet "Eqemiqafu" (around neck)
: This amulet enables its wearer to attempt to enter a state of berserk rage,
: and increases their chance of successfully doing so. It also partially
: protects the user from passing out when coming out of that rage.
: It protects you from fire.

Not very good, but right now mutation isn't worrying me and I don't
need controlled flight.

: y - a ring of protection from magic
: z - a ring of regeneration
: I - a +6 ring of protection
: L - a ring of protection from fire
: M - a ring of sustain abilities
: N - an amulet of controlled flight
: O - a ring of sustenance
: Q - an amulet of resist mutation
:+S - a ring of fire (right hand)

Ring selection has shifted around some, but really, sustenance is the
only one I'm carrying to switch in.

:potions
: j - a potion of mutation
: H - 3 potions of cure mutation

Should I gamble with the !mutation?

:Books
: i - a book of Power
: k - a book of Annihilations
: n - a book of War Chants
: r - a book of Conjurations

Fire/earth version. I could start Earth Magic now, I guess.

: t - a book of the Tempests
: v - a book of the Earth
: x - a book of Necromancy
: A - a book of Flames
: E - a book of Minor Magic
: G - a book of Minor Magic
:Magical staves
: T - a staff of energy
: U - a staff of channeling

Bleh. Another wasted ?acquirement. But had to read-ID it, there were
firedrakes about and they were scroll-toasting when they had the
chance.

:Miscellaneous
: g - a grey disc
: o - a small ebony casket

Junk, I imagine.

: You have 2 experience left.
:
: Skills:
: - Level 2 Short Blades
: - Level 1 Staves
: - Level 6 Crossbows

Throwing was lagging, that's why Crossbows is off.

: - Level 1 Darts
: + Level 3 Throwing
: + Level 8 Dodging
: + Level 6 Stealth
: + Level 15 Spellcasting
: + Level 14 Conjurations
: + Level 7 Summonings
: + Level 3 Translocations
: + Level 13 Fire Magic
: - Level 2 Invocations
: + Level 3 Evocations

I guess I can turn off Stealth, but I don't think it's getting fed
much. I tend to spend experience pretty quickly.

:You have 20 spell levels left.
:You know the following spells:
:
: Your Spells Type Success Level
: b - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Perfect 5
: c - Conjure Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 3
: d - Magic Dart Conjuration Perfect 1
: f - Flame Tongue Fire/Conjuration Perfect 1
: m - Summon Small Mammals Summoning Excellent 1
: s - Sticky Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 4
: t - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 2
: B - Blink Translocation Great 2
: C - Call Canine Familiar Summoning Excellent 3

What next? I've limited experience with the more advanced books.

: Mutations & Other Weirdness
: You have tough skin (AC +1).
: You are weak (Str -1).
: Your muscles are flexible (Dex +1), but weak (Str -1).

Quaff-IDed my first !mutation. The double hit to Str was not nice.

:> Pick up the uncursed sabre "Domuwubywodomu"? (y,n,a,q)
:> You can't carry that much weight.

It's an artifact pain weapon. Not any use unless I dip into Necromancy
and I wasn't planning to.

: Vanquished Creatures
:12 death yaks (Lair:9)

They sound scary, but I survived having them next to me. Briefly. Are
they as delicious as regular yaks? I was hesitant to dine on "death
yak" when I didn't need to.

:The ghost of Dan the Thaumaturge, a powerful DE FE (Lair:3)
:The ghost of Dan the Thaumaturge, an experienced DE FE (D:10)

These guys make for nasty ghosts. That's the down side.

:The ghost of Dan the Prestidigitator, an average Sp En (D:5)
:The ghost of Ironman the Skirmisher, an average Tr Be (D:6)

Not so tough when covered in napalm. Er, Sticky Flame.

:An ice beast (D:10)

Only one. :-( They're such easy prey with fire magic.

:4 necrophages (Lair:7)
:A black snake zombie (Lair:7)
:A spiny frog zombie (Lair:7)
:A redback zombie (Lair:7)
:3 firedrake zombies (Lair:7)
:2 blink frog zombies (Lair:7)
:A brain worm zombie (Lair:7)
:A giant lizard zombie (Lair:7)
:A brown snake zombie (Lair:7)
:A war dog zombie (Lair:7)
:An orange rat zombie (Lair:7)

There was a whole little room full of undeads on Lair:7. There were
some wraiths and wights, too. Don't recall what else.

Anyway, stuck my head in the Swamp. Those wisp things are hanging
around near the stairs. I fear Swamp or Snake Pit with no poison
resist. Elven Halls? Whoever shoots first wins, I guess. Or I can
explore the regular dungeon. Or go down and poke around lava shores
deep in the Lair, I suppose, after learning something that can handle
the fishes.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

IME creatures that live in lava aren't that big a deal, although they
can burn up scrolls.

I'd go with Earth (forgetting about crossbows and reaving) for sure and
press on along the main dungeon hoping to get poison resistance. If
push comes to shove I guess I'd go with the Hive. If you're set on
going with crossbows, do the first level of the Halls or so and maybe
you'll get a good one from them. Most likely the casket is a box of
beasts.

Death Yaks are poisonous.

I don't mess with mutations but then I've never had three potions of
cure, either. Go for it.

You do have some good stuff to become a fighter/mage but it seems to me
that you're skills are diluted as it is.

R. Dan Henry wrote:

I always feel really spammy when I do these, so I'm going to at least
mega-snip and try to stick to the most important things. :)

> :Race : Deep Elf Res.Fire : + + . See Invis. : .
> :Class : Fire ElementalistRes.Cold : x . . Warding : .

I'd recommend getting rid of the cold susceptibility ASAP unless you're
going to be in the Lair for a while yet. (The main part of the lair
isn't too heavy on uniques). A level of susceptibility is much more
detrimental than a level of resistance is beneficial.

This is not to say I wouldn't wear the ring of fire, though. I very much
would.

> Lair. I haven't fully explored the bottom thanks to a lava lake and
> not wanted to try getting into it with creatures that live in lava. My
> fiery rain of death seems unlikely to be very effective.

Time for a new element. :)

> : Inventory:
> :Hand weapons
> : a - an uncursed hand crossbow
>
> Found a second one, first was +0, so I'll test this one to see if it
> is any better.

Eventually you'll want to ramp up to full-sized crossbows (but keep the
hand ones for training), unless you find a hand crossbow of speed or
something. The darts tend to bounce harmlessly off of thick armour
(though they do better than thrown darts, especially with an enchanted
launcher).

Darts are expendable enough that the hand crossbow might also be a
solution to the lava snakes.

> :Armour
> : F - a +1 ring mail of cold resistance
>
> Cold resistance would bring me up to normal vs. cold. And ring mail
> wouldn't be too bad. Bolt of Fire would slip to Excellent, but Sticky
> Flame is still prefect with it on.

Oof. I might stick to the light armour -- the loss of evasion will hurt.
The Elven Halls tend to produce a suit or two with cold resistance
(though you could freeze to death there with cold susceptibility, and be
blown six ways to Sunday without good evasion).

> :Scrolls
> : P - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon III
>
> Only scrolls I wanted to ask about. Any chance these could really be
> useful to me?

Very much so if you go the conjurer-hunter[-warper] route.

> A few levels of Long Blades and an enchanted up great
> sword would let me (turn off Long Blades) and beat some slightly less
> wimpy than rats stuff up to train Fighting. I know, it's not my
> strongest point, but it'd also train Evasions. Offense may be my best
> defense, but it doesn't have to be my only one.

That's another route, and certainly a couple of levels of fighting
wouldn't hurt, but as to going any further than that -- keep in mind a
good reaver is assisted by good enchantments, especially Oz's Armour,
which you'll have trouble with. It's doable, but it'll be tough.

A "warver" has the meta-advantage that *both* of his attack modes
involve avoiding the enemy, so things are a little more consolidated
(e.g. Blink, which a conjurer will want anyway, is a warper's
meat-and-potatoes).

[...]
> : I - a +6 ring of protection
[...]
> Ring selection has shifted around some, but really, sustenance is the
> only one I'm carrying to switch in.

The ring of protection will be nice if you go the reaver route.

> :potions
> : j - a potion of mutation
> : H - 3 potions of cure mutation
>
> Should I gamble with the !mutation?

I don't know if you *should*, but I know that I *would*. I love living
dangerously. :)

> :Books
> : i - a book of Power
> : k - a book of Annihilations
> : n - a book of War Chants
> : r - a book of Conjurations
>
> Fire/earth version. I could start Earth Magic now, I guess.

It's definitely the "safe choice" and can carry you in fine style to the
endgame, without a single plink of a crossbow or slash of a sword.
Fire/earth mages are the accountants of the conjuring world -- boring,
but very well protected against the dangers of the world. :)

Keep in mind that while you can do 2 things almost as well as 1, doing
3, 4, 5 different things... well, things start to stretch a bit thin.
Aptitudes are important too, of course; conjurations is so cheap it
almost doesn't count in the above, for instance. A serious level of
offensive melee skills, on the other hand, while not downright
unadvisable, will mean you'll be able to put a lot less other stuff on
your platter while remaining effective.

> : v - a book of the Earth

/me thinks in passing of MSH, suddenly realizes learning MSH with my
longbladeser last night was stupid, and thanks God for Sif Muna <blush>

> : x - a book of Necromancy

Regeneration and Vampiric Draining come in handy for a reaver, IYGTR.

> : E - a book of Minor Magic

....and pets (if they have a bit of durability, and especially if they
have more durability than offense so you can get full credit for your
kills) are good for a warver.

> :Miscellaneous
> : g - a grey disc
> : o - a Box of Band-Aids
>
> Junk, I imagine.

The Box of Band-Aids is useful (if utterly, utterly evil) if you have
Vampiric Draining. Heeeere, mousey mousey mousey ;-)

Never quite figured out how to get use from the Disc of Storms. Pretty,
though.

> I guess I can turn off Stealth, but I don't think it's getting fed
> much. I tend to spend experience pretty quickly.

I'd keep it; not being seen is a very good defense sometimes.

> :You have 20 spell levels left.
> :You know the following spells:
> :
> : Your Spells Type Success Level
> : b - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Perfect 5
> : c - Conjure Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 3
> : d - Magic Dart Conjuration Perfect 1
> : f - Flame Tongue Fire/Conjuration Perfect 1
> : m - Summon Small Mammals Summoning Excellent 1
> : s - Sticky Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 4
> : t - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 2
> : B - Blink Translocation Great 2
> : C - Call Canine Familiar Summoning Excellent 3
>
> What next? I've limited experience with the more advanced books.

Fire-Earth route in decreasing order of /learnability (a chaotic mix of
the two):

Repel Missiles (this spell is sooo useful for its price)
Mephitic Cloud (ditto)
Izkybooble's Really Big Magic Dart (the conservative man's Crystal Spear)
Crystal Spear
Tomb of Malarkey
Summon Horrible Things
Controlled Blink
Haste

This route is nice in that you already have/are guaranteed to receive
all the books for it. SHT/ToDoroklohe will do the Tomb for you; it's
unstylish but quite effective. Incidentally I've been told in the past
that the big mummies will abjure most summons you try to throw at them,
but not horrible things; I can vouch for the latter but can't judge the
former one way or the other (I never dared to check).

Warver route, ditto:

Repel Missiles
Mephitic Cloud
Various hinderances (the more expensive and thus effective the better)
Some summonings with better defense than offense
Swiftness/Levitation
Controlled Blink
Corona
Oz's Armour
Deflect Missiles
Tomb of Malarkey
Haste
Whatever

Reaver Route, ditto:

Regeneration, Vampiric Draining
Berserk Rage
Oz's Armour
(If appropriate) Sure Blade
Repel Missiles
Corona
Static Discharge
Deflect Missiles
Mephitic Cloud
Haste

> :> Pick up the uncursed sabre "Domuwubywodomu"? (y,n,a,q)
> :> You can't carry that much weight.
>
> It's an artifact pain weapon. Not any use unless I dip into Necromancy
> and I wasn't planning to.

Again, if you got for a reaver, you'll want to.

> They sound scary, but I survived having them next to me. Briefly. Are
> they as delicious as regular yaks? I was hesitant to dine on "death
> yak" when I didn't need to.

They're poisonous corpses, so they're delicious if you have poison
resistance.

> :The ghost of Dan the Thaumaturge, a powerful DE FE (Lair:3)
> :The ghost of Dan the Thaumaturge, an experienced DE FE (D:10)
>
> These guys make for nasty ghosts. That's the down side.

When my fire elementalists meet advanced fire elementalist ghosts, the
ghosts usually end up shocked or stoned by the end of the conversation ;-)

(/me tries to imagine what a stoned ghost would act like)

> Anyway, stuck my head in the Swamp. Those wisp things are hanging
> around near the stairs.

Ispotootle's Really Big Magic Dart or Mr. Hand Crossbow's Repeatedly
Fired Darts make short work of them with a bit of stairscumming, if
nothing else.

> resist. Elven Halls? Whoever shoots first wins, I guess.

Naah, with good dodging and repel missiles you don't get hit much by the
fire/cold stuff, and with a deep elf's magic resistance, the risk of
being banished by a DEMage is negligible. But the crystal spears are
pretty nasty -- if you avoid a depth of more than 2 or 3 levels in, you
should be able to steer clear of these.

Still, stay out until you can remove your cold susceptibility without
wearing heavy armour.

> Or I can explore the regular dungeon.

I have a hunch it'll be the safest thing for you for a while yet --
above all because it's a place where Conjure Flame is often enormously
powerful.

Erik

"R. Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote in message
> : a - an uncursed hand crossbow
>
> Found a second one, first was +0, so I'll test this one to see if it
> is any better.

I think working on crossbows with a FE only makes sense for shits 'n'
giggles. It's gonna be a long time before you can hurt something more
with a crossbow than Bolt of Magma. Thrown weapons are going to be
wasted XP unless you switch your focus from conjurations to something
else, and it's probably a little late for that.

> :+q - a +2 pair of gloves (worn)
> :+u - a +3 elven robe (worn)
> :+w - a +0 cloak (worn)
> : C - a +0 elven chain mail
> :+D - a +0 helmet (worn)
> : F - a +1 ring mail of cold resistance
> : V - a +0 elven ring mail
>
> Cold resistance would bring me up to normal vs. cold. And ring mail
> wouldn't be too bad. Bolt of Fire would slip to Excellent, but Sticky
> Flame is still prefect with it on.

Everyone should wear heavy armor! Wear the ring mail!

> :Scrolls
> : P - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon III
>
> Only scrolls I wanted to ask about. Any chance these could really be
> useful to me? A few levels of Long Blades and an enchanted up great
> sword would let me (turn off Long Blades) and beat some slightly less
> wimpy than rats stuff up to train Fighting. I know, it's not my
> strongest point, but it'd also train Evasions. Offense may be my best
> defense, but it doesn't have to be my only one.

You'll want something other than a great sword to train fighting.
Unarmed Combat cross-trains with Fighting, too, so if you're just trying
to raise HPs, you should weakly pummel rats with your tiny girlish fists
for awhile.

> Ring selection has shifted around some, but really, sustenance is the
> only one I'm carrying to switch in.
>
> :potions
> : j - a potion of mutation
> : H - 3 potions of cure mutation
>
> Should I gamble with the !mutation?

Yeah. Or maybe wait till you have a second one.

[...]

> What next? I've limited experience with the more advanced books.

Firestorm. You'll be pleased for your staff of energy. Also,
investigate possible ways to get your sticky fingers on Selective
Amnesia and a Book of the Warp.

[...]

> They sound scary, but I survived having them next to me. Briefly. Are
> they as delicious as regular yaks? I was hesitant to dine on "death
> yak" when I didn't need to.

Poisonous.

> Anyway, stuck my head in the Swamp. Those wisp things are hanging
> around near the stairs. I fear Swamp or Snake Pit with no poison
> resist. Elven Halls? Whoever shoots first wins, I guess. Or I can
> explore the regular dungeon. Or go down and poke around lava shores
> deep in the Lair, I suppose, after learning something that can handle
> the fishes.

The Halls aren't usually too bad with a Conjurer, but when they're bad,
they're very, very bad. So I might do that; Conjurers can get a pretty
big haul pretty early by tackling them, but you need to be careful.
Otherwise, take off the ring mail of cold resistance JUST FOR THE SNAKE
PIT THEN PUT IT RIGHT BACK ON, and an evasion of 14 should be enough to
keep you safish. The orbs of energy at the bottom could be pretty nasty
with your low HP, though.

--
Jeremey

On 3 Jun 2005 01:06:34 -0700, smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

>I don't mess with mutations but then I've never had three potions of
>cure, either. Go for it.

Utterly wasteful. Dropped my Int and gave me (useless to me) fire
breathing. So I tried a cure potion and ended up with the set I
already had -- mostly harmless, but I'd really rather have my Str
back.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

Jeremey Wilson wrote:
> "R. Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote in message
>
>>: a - an uncursed hand crossbow
>>
>>Found a second one, first was +0, so I'll test this one to see if it
>>is any better.
>
> I think working on crossbows with a FE only makes sense for shits 'n'
> giggles. It's gonna be a long time before you can hurt something more
> with a crossbow than Bolt of Magma. Thrown weapons are going to be
> wasted XP unless you switch your focus from conjurations to something
> else, and it's probably a little late for that.

FE's don't get BoM in their starting book and have no real reason to
learn it IMO; the smaller range makes it inferior to BoF for most
purposes despite the half-unresistability. But yeah, crossbows look a
little wimpy compared to BoF at first.

The thing is, you can go a lot further on a lot fewer MP with an MP-free
secondary attack. It also slows down your gameplay when you start
a-blasting a-plinking, slightly lessening IME the
booom-booom-booom-booom-OOPS WHERE'S MY MP effect. (I've played a
crossbow-wielding DEFE going for the crossbows title before; died in the
Tomb, but then that's an easy place to die.) Vehumet schmehumet; his
restoration is really nice, to be sure, but some iron bolts among the
Iron Bolts will restore your MP too, and won't cost you any food either.
Besides, you gotta have *something* for those fire-resistant monsters;
earth magic is the non-controversial choice, sure, but it's not the only
valid choice IME.

> Everyone should wear heavy armor! Wear the ring mail!

:)))))

Erik

> Utterly wasteful. Dropped my Int and gave me (useless to me) fire
> breathing. So I tried a cure potion and ended up with the set I
> already had -- mostly harmless, but I'd really rather have my Str
> back.

Huh, so what you're saying is there's a chance mutations won't work out
like you hope. Fancy that. If you want your strength back so bad,
whyn't take another cure?