Is Mcafee free or just free download?

I have 2 Anti virus products that my experience tells me not to touch. Macafee is one of them. Microsoft security essentials is one of the better free AV's in my experience and has yet to let me down across 5 PC's used by various family members.
I have a neighbor who is a friend of my wife who used to come around once every couple of months with an issue that someone else in the house had caused(always is isn't it) Anyway I have yet to hear from them after installing and setting up MSE.

Mactronix

Never get Macafee or AVG. Both aren't good at what they do, and perform more like bloatware / adware than an antivirus.

What most of us use is Microsoft Security Essentials, which is the best free antivirus out there, and Malwarebytes, either free or paid.

Hi

A lot of PC Magazines recommend AVAST as the best of the free AV programs (far ahead of Microsoft's )

I have used Norton Internet security suit for many years without any infection
(in UK cost of 3PC 1 year home user license is often £25, much less than on line renewal cost)

I also use Secunia PSI (V3) to look for out of date programs with security holes (eg Flash, Java as well as Windows & Office)

regards

Mike Barnes